Awoo.

Sonic Lost World - Previews

Carbo

It's fine, I was responding to you, Solkia, and basically everyone who kept insisting simpler is fine because it's cartoonier on that post too. We're shooting scatter shotguns while aiming sniper rifles :P

The described gameplay doesn't really work without being tubes in the sky though.

I'm not seeing that.

There's nothing here that won't work in other settings, it's just easier to design multiple routes based on a tube design I guess? And easier to not fall to your death when going fast.

With tweaks, anything is possible. This gameplay style is far more versatile and adaptable than the boost gameplay was, it offers up the possibility for exploration and platforming a lot more, especially if you're given the option to hit a wall or go over it, or if you can manually slow down when near bottomless pits rather than relying on trial and error to learn the stage design etc.

Edited by SuperLink
  • Thumbs Up 2

It's fine, I was responding to you, Solkia, and basically everyone who kept insisting simpler is fine because it's cartoonier on that post too. We're shooting scatter shotguns while aiming sniper rifles tongue.png

Uh, well for the record, I actually prefer more detailed looks and a degree of complexity in the series than simpler ones. I'm just not against it being simpler looking in games like this.

Ah there has been more info released on the game! Pretty cool! I've been away for a few days and it's good to see some previews of the game!

I wonder if we will get any gameplay footage soon!

Ah there has been more info released on the game! Pretty cool! I've been away for a few days and it's good to see some previews of the game!

I wonder if we will get any gameplay footage soon!

....................We did in the debut trailer. Where do you think the gif's in my sig are from?

Edited by Generations (Chaos Warp)

You didn't see the whole topic about it..?

I've only just come back to the forums man and this is the first topic in the right hand side of the home page :P . I've been away travelling!

Well, guess I will check out the trailer!

Speaking of previews, you know what I'm missing already?

speaking japanese while they show some gameplay footage. I miss his japanese voice  ^^' Sonikku new adbentchur.

So... not to get everyone's hopes up, and sorry if this has been mentioned before, but the odds of there being

a Chao Garden seem to be much greater this time around.

Think about it, In one of the recent interviews with Iizuka last year, regarding the new Sonic gameplay we were expecting in 2013, he asked the crowd if they loved and missed the Chao Garden, and everyone cheered.

AND... this is literally the first time in a while that they puts animals back into badniks, and releasing them upon extermination. 

This might be a long shot in the dark, but I think the odds of their being a Chao Garden are pretty high, considering that animals were used to upgrade the chaos, and think of all the cool new things you could do with the game pad biggrin.png

Edited by chirf
  • Thumbs Up 1

You're not exactly getting my hopes up.

I'll believe it when I see that we're getting Chao Gardens in this game.

• Thumbs Up 1

Chao Gardens? Pffft been a while since I heard somebody request those.

I know I'm not the common opinion here but I love Chao Garden and so do many of my friends, it's the thing I enjoyed most about the Adventure games (ironically), I could spend hours there raising them even when the main game was frustrating.

So long as they spruce it up and remove any manditory aspects, I don't see why there'd be a problem.

I also don't think it's likely to happen.. at all. But I'd be all for it.

They'd work best as an independent game, perhaps sharing online between WiiU and 3DS.

I'm sorry to those who like the Chao Garden but that space could be used to make more levels or playable characters. Let Sega focus on gameplay, level design and playable characters before adding Chaos back into the mix

Chao are adorable, but if there were Chao Gardens they'd need to have more of a point.  Grinding for Chaos Drives was fucking tedious.

• Thumbs Up 5

I'm sorry to those who like the Chao Garden but that space could be used to make more levels or playable characters. Let Sega focus on gameplay, level design and playable characters before adding Chaos back into the mix

Gotta say I agree there.

I'd much rather see Tails and Knuckles again than Chao.

• Thumbs Up 1

Maybe as DLC, but yeah, as much as I love the Chao garden I'd perfer them to use the space for more levels

I'd like to visit the animals we're rescuing from badniks or something, just as a little extra ... either that or a Wisp Garden. But focusing on the gameplay and perhaps even other playable characters should be the top priority here, imo.

Well, HELLO! WELCOME TO SONIC. That's what we are all about!

I hope you don't think that SSMB completely represents Sonic fanbase.

Just... no block platforming please.

Sonic never really was about that.

If I remember it correctly:

"All the heart of classic Sonic gameplay was that in some parts you can accelerate, and some others require you to slow down and perform careful platforming" @ Igromania Magazine

I'm still trying to wrap my head around thinking why someone would see this game and not think it's "Sonic" enough. It's like everyone has radically different ideals on what Sonic is. To me, Sonic is a platformer with a fucking hedgehog that runs fast, collects rings and smashes robots. Am I missing something here...? Is there something that I'm just not seeing? Because I don't get it.

The difference in our opinions lies outside of Sonic's simple core concept. It's about how things look and what causes them to happen.

Well those ideas don't exactly hurt being in a Sonic game, but it baffles me how we have a Green Hill Zone #123289042 with a new take and it somehow doesn't look like Sonic. I mean, Green Hill Zone practically symbolizes Sonic down to its very name!

Nice one.

But since we only have one level to see from Lost World  let's try this one example:

GENESIS--Sonic%201%20Megamix%20v30_Sep24

Looks kinda like the trailer, but in 16-bit.

GHZ in Generation actually looks like itself. SLW is different.

-ground is made of blocks. Not from traditional Sonic "checkers" but from fridge-sized BLOCKS.

-grass isn't really there. It's not a grass or just some green surface, but an array of small green showels.

-spruces instead of plamtrees, okay. But why the hell they are inflated?

I'm not gonna push that "carrtoony" argument, because it's not even a design, just a way to picture things. The design is the case.

It's common approach for SLW seems to be an attempt to idealize things.

-the textures seems to be almost monochomatic, right to the point where you watch screenshots and wonder if there are any textures at all, or it's just flat shaded meshes.

-there are also clear aspiration to make any living object to be shaped like a circle, or at least to get rid of all somehow sharp angles and shapes.

And that basically describes Mario Galaxy style as I got it.

-spruces instead of plamtrees, okay. But why the hell they are inflated?

To be stylized, cartoony, and whimsical. Same reason the palm trees in the original, and the flowers in both, had sharp polygon-like leaves.

-there are also clear aspiration to make any living object to be shaped like a circle, or at least to get rid of all somehow sharp angles and shapes.

Look at the plants and try telling me that.

To be stylized, cartoony, and whimsical.

Wasn't it enough just to make green spruces made of several cones? What is the need to inflate them? We started from the idea that this level looks like Green Hill, but it never had inflated plants.

Same reason the palm trees in the original, and the flowers in both, had sharp polygon-like leaves.

So they have different designs for the same reason?

Look at the plants and try telling me that.

Well, spruces are plants too.

Why can't this level have different trees? We know its not Green Hill, Geberations recreated that, it's Wind Hill, a completely different zone on a new planet, the frees could be upside down and bright purple and blue and it still be fine.

I can see people's points with the textures and stuff in the game, but I can't see the points for looking like green hill, most first zones look similar to green hill and this isn't any different.

Wasn't it enough just to make green spruces made of several cones? What is the need to inflate them? We started from the idea that this level looks like Green Hill, but it never had inflated plants.

Also Emerald Hill was basically another take on Green Hill and it had puffy bushes. Also this level is obviously inspired by Green Hill, but it's not identical. Different trees (both in species and shape) are one of the ways it differentiates itself.

So they have different designs for the same reason?

Yes, because there are multiple ways to make something stylized, cartoony, and whimsical.