Awoo.

Nintendo @ E3 - Smashing into June 11 [E3 Direct: 7 AM PT / Dev Interviews: 12 PM PT]

Carbo

I'm personally waiting for the moment Disney tells EA to make Star Wars games for the Wii U or GTFO, and then watching EA having to bite the bullet it would be hilarious laugh.png On a secondary note, I wonder what surprises Retro Studios has for us, its been something that has been nagging me for a while. Is it a new IP? Is it a Metroid game? Is it a Star Fox game? Is it BOTH? Hopefully we will find out at E3, if not then Nintendo I am disappoint sad.png

Edited by LordMetallix

I'm personally waiting for the moment Disney tells EA to make Star Wars games for the Wii U or GTFO, and then watching EA having to bite the bullet it would be hilarious laugh.png On a secondary note, I wonder what surprises Retro Studios has for us, its been something that has been nagging me for a while. Is it a new IP? Is it a Metroid game? Is it a Star Fox game? Is it BOTH? Hopefully we will find out at E3, if not then Nintendo I am disappoint sad.png

That would be cool, I would love a new SF game! a Metroid one would be nice as well

Is it a Metroid game? Is it a Star Fox game? Is it BOTH?

I'd be A-Okay with either (obvious which I'd be prefer, but still), but a crossover would be HORRID.

Ohoho, who else remembers that Metroid Starfox crossover rumor?

It sounded awful.

• Thumbs Up 1

I know that it's not going to happen, but if EA would make one of their very few Wii U games either the Mass Effect Trilogy (DLC included) or some sort of ME spin-off, and let Nintendo put it in the NDirect... Oh I would forgive them so hard.

A trilogy is what should have happened in the first place anyway. It would be all too little too late. I just wish EA didn't seem to hold all the third party cards as much as they currently do. Majority of gamers seem to loath them, yet their lack of inclusion on Nintendo platforms is still considered a huge loss anyway.

Edited by EuroMIX

I know that it's not going to happen, but if EA would make one of their very few Wii U games either the Mass Effect Trilogy (DLC included) or some sort of ME spin-off, and let Nintendo put it in the NDirect... Oh I would forgive them so hard.

Make Bioware change ME3's ending so it's actually not shitty, rather than being a little less shitty, EA. Then we'll talk. Otherwise, I can't even remotely gather up any passion for the series anymore.

And considering EA very certainly deliberately sabotaged ME3's Wii U release by releasing the ME collection on other platforms (either that, or it was unbelievable stupidity), I doubt it'll happen.

Edited by Shirou Emiya

I expect the Wii U could do some splendid fish animations; I'd adore a new Endless Ocean.  The camera and treasure scanner from the previous games would fit the GamePad so well, as well as displaying maps and the marine encyclopedia.

Make Bioware change ME3's ending so it's actually not shitty, rather than being a little less shitty, EA. Then we'll talk. Otherwise, I can't even remotely gather up any passion for the series anymore.

There is DLC which lessens the shittiness of the ending, as I'm sure you are aware.

I just think that if they could marry ME3's visuals with ME1's RPG mechanics, ME2's gameplay and the Wii U's gamepad, along with a half decent plot (bring in Neil Gaiman to write?), they'd have the perfect ME game formula, and there's just no reason why that wouldn't sell units given the series' popularity.

Ah, it's great being on the outside looking in, things are much simpler out here.

There is DLC which lessens the shittiness of the ending, as I'm sure you are aware.

Oh, I know, hence why I say "a little less shitty", but the "extended cut" still has fundamental problems that pretty much ruins the entire experience for me and has caused me to have nothing but complete apathy for the franchise as a whole. When you're that invested in a storyline like that, an ending like that can be catastrophic. It's baffling how such potential was wasted by a couple of idiots who weren't even paying attention to the core themes of the entire franchise, which were completely discarded in the last ten minutes.

I just think that if they could marry ME3's visuals with ME1's RPG mechanics, ME2's gameplay and the Wii U's gamepad, along with a half decent plot (bring in Neil Gaiman to write?), they'd have the perfect ME game formula, and there's just no reason why that wouldn't sell units given the series' popularity.

Ah, it's great being on the outside looking in, things are much simpler out here.

Neil Gaiman would probably do a way better job than Mac Walters and Casey Hudson, that's for sure.

No, I'm not bitter, no sir. But at this point, I'd rather see those ideas in a new IP, because, as I said, I have nothing but apathy for Mass Effect now unless they actually decide to completely retcon ME3's ending.

Edited by Shirou Emiya

I'd rather not have Retro on Star Fox. Namco could do it. Assault's flying parts were really fun and the multiplayer was great,

As much as I want a new Metroid (Prime), I'm honestly curious to see what Retro could do with some other IPs.  Maybe Zelda or Kirby?

I don't see Nintendo giving Zelda up to Retro. And Kirby? I love Kirby, but why in the world would they put Retro on that? Hal and Good Feel did a good job in "reviving" the series just recently.

There's a rumour on NeoGaf that they're doing StarTropics. I don't really expect that to be true, but it would be kind of cool.

I'd just like to see their take on the franchises.  -shrug-  I like the way Retro does things; definitely would be interested in seeing how they'd do Zelda, most of all.

Whats startropics??

Cult NES game, quite possibly the one game that will be found at the bottom of the barrel when scraping for obscure Nintendo IPs to resuscitate. It was like a sort of more linear Legend of Zelda and never got released in Japan.

It was actually really, really good. It's most famous for the "immersive letter" where the game came packaged with an actual parchment that was used with the game, sort of like the "Meryl codec" phenomenon in Metal Gear Solid. Unfortunately you'll have a hard time finding an original copy with that thing and playing the game without it requires a walkthrough, crippling the immersion.

I'd be all over a revival honestly, I fucking love StarTropics. But it feels like the prophet who came out with that prediction only chose the vaguest possible IP that people would go nuts over. The game is the most niche IP that Nintendo sits on, it would be way too much of a risk.

• Thumbs Up 1

Especially with the sales riding entirely on the upcoming releases.

I feel like Startropics would find a more comfortable home on the 3DS.

I dunno, wouldn't Retro doing a new IP or doing Startropics be basically the same?

• Thumbs Up 1

I dunno, wouldn't Retro doing a new IP or doing Startropics be basically the same?

It kind of would be, which is why I'd be excited if they actually did it. It's pretty much the only IP Nintendo has that would let Retro be able to do their own "Zelda", since a lot of people have expressed excitement about a Retro-made Legend of Zelda.

They'd be able to bend the rules substantially, not just in the way they did with Metroid Prime either.

And it's not like the hype would die- the hype generated would be the exact same as form a new IP, namely "Retro's doing it".

In terms of sci-fi first/third person shooter IPs, Nintendo consoles have recently only tended to have Metroid games (and it isn't as if TimeSplitters on the GCN was exclusive). There's nothing being milked on a regular-ish basis though; Metroid games come in fits and starts whenever they get around to making them, like the other middling Nintendo franchises. I love sci-fi shooters like Killzone, and weird shooter-RPG mashups of the Mass Effect variety, but I don't love how few come to Nintendo platforms.

I know others won't like this, but I'd love for Retro to develop its own long-running sci-fi shooter space opera IP in the vein of Killzone, Prey, Mass Effect, Metroid and others. Something they can explore without Nintendo execs throwing a fit over it, something different and distinct from Metroid and with a universe as rich and deep and rooted in real-sounding stuff Mass Effect. Perhaps there could be a co-mingling of ME-style level-up elements with a Metroid Prime-style viewpoint in a world not unlike Prey or Killzone, with ME/MP-esque lore and a distinctive non-dudebro soundtrack.

Obviously that wouldn't be all they'd ever make, they could develop a couple other recurring IPs of their own in whole different genres with very different tones, which they could rotate through when they're not doing Nintendo's bidding. I just want them to bring out another big hit, and for it to be something that'd interest me. Selfish and probably unlikely, I know, but a guy suffering from a dearth of decent space operas can dream.

I'd be all over a revival honestly, I fucking love StarTropics. But it feels like the prophet who came out with that prediction only chose the vaguest possible IP that people would go nuts over. The game is the most niche IP that Nintendo sits on, it would be way too much of a risk.

Unless they 'do a Kid Icarus' and bring it up in the next Smash game and then make a 3DS game off the back of its success.

I don't really see the problem with StarTropics being relatively unknown. Like Harlock said it'd be a new IP. Sin & Punishment wasn't released in the west until it was released on the VC and it got a sequel. Nintendo seem to like reviving dead series, so I can see Startropics coming sooner or later.