Awoo.

Guilty Gear Xrd (Arcade/PS3/PS4)

Remy

I don't need to say it but I have to for the sake of information; Guilty Gear did come first and BlazBlue recycled a lot of GG's designs and/or powers (eg. Ky - Jin, Slayer - Rachel) and I mean Arkys does own GG anyways so I don't see why they can't just recycle what they own. But it does make them seem lazy since they practically took GG and threw it in a pot of anime cliches and called it BlazBlue.

And yes I do know that Ragna was based off Vash the Stampede. He does have quite a bit of Sol in him however. But ehhhhh... I don't know where I'm going with this so I'm just gonna call it a post.

GG itself is an anime cliche lol, and by that I mean they're both designed and look like anime. BlazBlue is admittedly more cliche as for as character types go, but eh.

Edited by Mr. J

So in some fairly recent footage of GG Xrd location tests that has since been taken off youtube (but you can still see in this video), I can't help but notice that there are these yellow caution looking signs poping up over the characters sometimes, and I can't help but be, shall we say, nervous that they've brought over the honestly kinda doofy throw escape system from Blazblue.  You know the one, instead of getting rid of grab loops just make throw escapes that also leave you at full screen for some reason a core mechanic.  Kinda ruined Blazblue for me (along with some of the less appealing new characters like the lolis and anti gravity torpedo tits).  of course it might just be to signify that the hit was a counter hit, because it doesn't exactly look like grab, but I always figured that the announcer yelling COUNTER!!! was enough.  

It also shows one spot where I can't help but think the style kind of lets itself down, namely potemkin's walk cycle seems to all into koF XIII territory and look more prerendered than cell shaded all of a sudden.  

By the way it was only fairly recently that I found out that the character designer from Guilty Gear was not the same guy who designed the characters from Blazblue, which kinda makes it extra weird how similar some of them are to their Guilty Gear counterparts.  

The yellow caution sign isn't from a throw break. It shows up after Potemkin sweeps May. It's to signify that you were blocking incorrectly- the May player was blocking high and got hit low. It also shows up after overheads, and yeah, throw breaks in P4A and BB., but here it's very clearly from the sweeps. You can see it later in the vid when Ky kicks may in the shin, too. 

Virtually every time the yellow caution appears is after a sweep :> So your throws are safe, for the moment. To be honest I wouldn't be particularly bothered if they made it BB style, as it's not a big deal, in my opinion, but it's more likely they keep it similar to classic GG.

I don't need to say it but I have to for the sake of information; Guilty Gear did come first and BlazBlue recycled a lot of GG's designs and/or powers (eg. Ky - Jin, Slayer - Rachel) and I mean Arkys does own GG anyways so I don't see why they can't just recycle what they own. But it does make them seem lazy since they practically took GG and threw it in a pot of anime cliches and called it BlazBlue.

And yes I do know that Ragna was based off Vash the Stampede. He does have quite a bit of Sol in him however. But ehhhhh... I don't know where I'm going with this so I'm just gonna call it a post.

Ragna and Sol have the same, (weird!) backwards sword stance! He also had a similar sword in some of his early concept art.

http://gallery.minitokyo.net/download/419462

I don't think it's too much of stretch to think he was meant to be a modernized bishie Sol or something. 

The yellow caution sign isn't from a throw break. It shows up after Potemkin sweeps May. It's to signify that you were blocking incorrectly- the May player was blocking high and got hit low. It also shows up after overheads, and yeah, throw breaks in P4A and BB., but here it's very clearly from the sweeps. You can see it later in the vid when Ky kicks may in the shin, too. 

Virtually every time the yellow caution appears is after a sweep :> So your throws are safe, for the moment. To be honest I wouldn't be particularly bothered if they made it BB style, as it's not a big deal, in my opinion, but it's more likely they keep it similar to classic GG.

Ragna and Sol have the same, (weird!) backwards sword stance! He also had a similar sword in some of his early concept art.

I don't think it's too much of stretch to think he was meant to be a modernized bishie Sol or something. 

A reverse grip on a sword isn't unheard of, though a few of his animations give me the idea Sol doesn't actually know what a sword is for, or at least he does but hasn't quite internalised it.  With Ranga though, the weirdest part is that some of his intro animations give the impression that he carries his sword around by hand and then puts it on his belt to fight. 

Oh, and both of them have this nordic theme to a lot of the names of their moves, and Ragna is short for Ragnarok, and the black beast is basically Jourmangrant.  

Edited by Phos

I always felt Sol's moves are based more around dragons and shit, with Ragna's being more demonic. But that's just me.

With BB being a spiritual successor, I think Arc wanted people to recognize that while not being a carbon copy, hence why most of the BB cast look so similar to their GG counterparts.

Ragna the Badguy

A reverse grip on a sword isn't unheard of, though a few of his animations give me the idea Sol doesn't actually know what a sword is for, or at least he does but hasn't quite internalised it.  With Ranga though, the weirdest part is that some of his intro animations give the impression that he carries his sword around by hand and then puts it on his belt to fight. 

Oh, and both of them have this nordic theme to a lot of the names of their moves, and Ragna is short for Ragnarok, and the black beast is basically Jourmangrant.

It does give the reverse grip imagery, but yes its mostly strapped to his belt somehow. Cause he uses a lot of punching moves where he's clearly not holding onto the sword, like Hells Fang for example.

Also I do get the Ragna part but The Black Beast is based off Yamata no Orochi which is further referenced by Hakumen having the Susano-o unit. Jormungandr is closer to Ouroboros than Orochi since its that big. But I can see where you can get it from, Loki is the father of Fenrir, Jormungandr, and Hel and two of the three are important in Ragnarok. And yes I'm saying Hazama/Terumi can fit the role of Loki.

And I thought this was a Guilty Gear topic. D: Sol is gonna punch me in the face now. ;A;

I'm pretty interested to see how they're going to handle Baiken, assuming she's in this.  She has one arm after all.  

And I thought this was a Guilty Gear topic. D: Sol is gonna punch me in the face now. ;A;

"Scold me more, Mr. Badguy!"

• 3 weeks later...

I know this is the Guilty Gear Xrd thread but we don't have a general Guilty Gear thread so I thought I'd post this here.

Soooooo, I decided to boot up Accent Core Plus yesterday and lo and behold, we have an update. To anybody who has the game on XBLA, the update turns your game from Accent Core Plus to Accent Core Plus R.

If you're playing on 360 the update can be downloaded either here or on the game's dashboard....thing... with all the DLC (it's free). I'm not sure about PSN, I don't think they have the update yet though. To activate the DLC, go into options and change the game from AC to AC+R.

I haven't played R until now and I gotta say, it's pretty sweet. All the characters have new/added moves. Sol, Ky and Jam have their #Reload moves back too which is pretty cool. Plus there's a new skin for when you select your characters with Heavy Slash and Dust (HS being their #Reload colors, Dust being BlazBlue colors for Sol and Ky).

Only thing that urks me (it's pretty minor though) is I don't like how the new skins replace the old ones. Ky's old Dust skin was one of my favorites... :/

Ky in Jin colours whaaat

I gotta see this

Dang, If It were possible, I'd record some footage of my amazing mind blowingly awesome 6-hit combos the Jin palette for ya but sadly, I don't have a capture card.... yet.

I think Ky looks kinda obnoxious with Jin's BRIGHT BLUE AND YELLOW colors. I dunno, looks kinda unnatural. Sol easily looks a lot better with the Red + White combination. It's still a nice easter egg though.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dang, If It were possible, I'd record some footage of my amazing mind blowingly awesome 6-hit combos the Jin palette for ya but sadly, I don't have a capture card.... yet.

I think Ky looks kinda obnoxious with Jin's BRIGHT BLUE AND YELLOW colors. I dunno, looks kinda unnatural. Sol easily looks a lot better with the Red + White combination. It's still a nice easter egg though.

Bitch have you seen my dusts Aww ;A;

Also it's all a mindgame, you use the colours to distract the opponent

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Paper bag head Faust has been confirmed!

character_mainv_faust.png

Also some story stuff detailed in the link above!

The story starts out some time after the events of Guilty Gear 2, which have come to be known as Baptism Thirteen. Ky is delivering a speech to an assembly in Illyria, during which he says he believes it’s time to redefine the relationship between man and Gear and officially proposes that they explore a pathway to peaceful coexistence.

It then cuts to the vaults beneath the Castle of Illyria, where Ky is talking to Dr. Paradigm. Ky wants Paradigm to be the representative for the Gears, though Paradigm is still unsure if humanity will ever be able to forgive the Gears, which were designed to destroy mankind, and notes that some are already calling for Ky to abdicate the throne. Ky says that he himself witnessed the Crusades, but now that the curse of Justice’s control has been broken the Gears are free to pursue a life of peace. He says the Crusades are over and it’s time for humanity to enter another Renaissance, explaining the capacity humans have for compassion, love, and forgiveness. He mentions the “Merciless Apocalypse,” saying there are lurking threats and it’s time for man and Gear to join hands and fight for the future. Paradigm is moved.

Ky then raises his eyes to look upon a winged, female figure sealed in crystal. Paradigm informs Ky that he can’t break the seal on his wife yet, and that decoding the incantation will take a while longer.

Ky says, “Truly? Be patient for just a little longer, Dizzy…!” He gazes at her, and she seems to smile faintly.

Elsewhere, Sol and Sin have set up camp for the night, and are sitting around a fire. Sol’s eating some meat and reading a newspaper headline about a vicious group of Gears attacking Illyria. He says there’s something suspicious going on. Sin asks what happened, and Sol tells him to try and read it as reading lesson. Sin enthusiastically opens the newpaper up completely and starts to read it.

In short, it’s misrepresenting Valentine’s attack on Illyria as being the work of Gears, despite Paradigm and his pals risking their lives to protect the kingdom. He throws the paper into the fire. Sol explains that it’s in response to Ky’s proposal, and that even though there’s still a lot of anti-Gear sentiment on the streets, he’s popular and people trust him. He thinks that this is likely the Senate’s way of trying to shift public opinion. Sin basically asks Sol the same thing Paradigm asked Ky… if it’s possible for humans and Gears to coexist. Sol’s response is to explain that Ky fought on the front lines during the Crusades, witnessed the fear and horror, and yet he’s gotten past it, and that he and Sin’s mother found happiness together.

Laying down with a groan, looking up at the sky, and closing his eyes, Sol says, “… At least, I hope it is.”

Sin is surprised by the sentimentality and Sol angrily covers it up. Sol silently wonders what the Senate could be planning, and closes his eyes, but after a moment he suddenly opens them, feeling a strange, uncomfortable sensation. It’s a sensation he felt several times before. He shakes his head.

Sol mutters through gritted teeth, “…I thought I’d have more time… I wasn’t expecting you to show up so soon… Valentine!” He then grasps his incomplete weapon, Junkard Dog, and stands up.

To be continued in Guilty Gear Xrd: Sign.

(Bah, Double Post)

Big Video Blowout of location test stuff, featuring gameplay of Faust, Slayer, and I-No!

Some videos:

http://youtu.be/UiCBfW-hvXM

http://youtu.be/6wRNZu7c7aY

Edited by A.R.

• 2 weeks later...

ggxrd-zatoone.png

Zato-1/Eddie confirmed.

Also...new character teaser...

ggxrd-question.png

Apparently this mystery character will be available in the upcoming location test in December.

(aaaaaaaaaand triple post :V)

• Thumbs Up 1