Awoo.

Guilty Gear Xrd (Arcade/PS3/PS4)

Remy

Huh, I'm not seeing the franchise's trademark increasing gravity taking place here, is there something I'm missing or has this been tampered with somehow?  

• 3 weeks later...

So I've listened to GGXrds ripped soundtrack and honestly, besides a few gems (Heavy Day, Title Screen, Ride The Fire, Ky, May, Slayer, Assassins, Lily, ...) this soundtrack is pretty damn forgettable, which suprises me because well... This is Guilty fucking Gear, man.

The music is all mindless rock. Mind you it's good mindless rock but most of it has no melody at all, and is blatantly unfitting for some characters (looking at you, Faust).  Another thing is the re-use of Holy Orders III (The only song to return whatsoever) for Ky's "Damaged mode". It's lazy as hell.

I'm honestly a bit dissapointed.. But I'm still getting the game. I'm in for gameplay, but I can see a lot of people just plain ignoring this game because a lot of fans liked GG for its music.

I honestly find it really hard to agree with you. I've been listening to the soundtrack and I think it's fucking awesome. So refreshing to see Ishiwateri return to his rock style after being drowned in strings and pianos in Blazblue

. Almost all the songs have strong lead guitar parts (which I find it odd you're mentioning them as having no melody.) There's a pretty big genre variation among the tracks. Axl Low has funk guitar wah wahs, Slayer has his typical jazzy feel, May is poppy, Venom has gothy saw synths, etc.

Each one has a distinct feel alongside the riffing, appropriate mostly to their character.

The only themes I don't like are Potemkin and Venom. Pot mainly because his old theme is so awesome and venom just because it's kind of swampy and not very good. Doesn't kick into gear early enough. Other than that it's pretty great though, and exactly what I wanted from this game.

I'm not sure what you mean about Faust, his new theme is pretty similar in structure to the old one, except now it sounds like there's some horns in there (?) and it's got fucking awesome soloing live bass during the intermissions as opposed to the weird midi-ish intermissions the old one has. The themes similar in structure really, they both break at 1:50 (GGXX) and 1:38/2:20 (GGXRD) for similar sounding solo parts, the GGXRD one is just way more over the top.

It's actually amazing how much better the mix sounds on the new game, IMO. Someone at Arcsys learned how to produce.

The more I listen to the soundtrack, the more it grows on me, but I couldn't help but feel that some tracks started to blend together after a while.

I could see after Blazblue and other games he's worked on recently having a broader style it seems odd you've got this OST filled with loud guitars and little else, but it's Guilty Gear and that's what I expect, pretty much. I couldn't be happier with how he's maintained the style whilst updating and remaking the themes. 

Then it's probably a case of opinion, or the fact that I'm moreover someone who leans to BB instead of GG, but I could barely make out melodies. Odd since I can remember old GG tracks on the fly. It makes me think they tried a little too hard to stand out from BlazBlue.

My point about Faust is that his theme doesn't fit his overall character. Mind you, his original theme wasn't much to write home about either, but I can't see a wacky, joking character with heavy rock. It's unfitting.

I could see after Blazblue and other games he's worked on recently having a broader style it seems odd you've got this OST filled with loud guitars and little else, but it's Guilty Gear and that's what I expect, pretty much. I couldn't be happier with how he's maintained the style whilst updating and remaking the themes. 

Well its not really that, but I kind of was hoping something more along the lines of Guilty Gear X in terms of guitars, which I still feel outshines these tracks.

• 2 months later...

Persona 4 The Ultimax Ultra Suplex Hold isn’t the only Arc System Works-developed title to have some great news in this week’s issue of Famitsu. Gematsu is reporting that Japanese gaming blog Sokhuo@Hokanko has revealed some choice information on the company’s upcoming console release of Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN-.

According to these reports, Xrd will include cross-play functionality between PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4, allowing fans on both consoles to play against one another. This is particularly advantageous for the next-generation system, as the install base is sure to be far less than that of its predecessor.

Furthermore, the version of the game heading to Sony’s latest platform will be receiving a bit of a visual upgrade and output at 1080p instead of the arcade and PlayStation 3′s 720p.

The console port of Xrd will also include at least one new character as well as a story mode that continues from where the arcade plot ended.

We’re sure to receive additional information as soon as Famitsu reaches more hands, so stay tuned.

Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- is scheduled to release for PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4 in North America sometime this fall.

source

Sweet, cross-play AND 1080p for next gen?! Hell, I may pick this up with a PS4 this Christmas!

Also, it's good to hear news on new characters. can't wait for more news.

So far, it sounds like the PS3 version will run at the same framerate as the others. Good.

It better be Sin or Rammy

Baiken who?

Its almost guaranteed to be Sin, he's the only other character who has a model done.

Clearly its gonna be Sharon

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

So. GameSpot recorded some HD footage of this game on the PS4 and...

tumblr_lx4gg6Ftww1qb9h9jo1_400.gif

man I hope I get a PS4 for Christmas...

HD Ky AND Rammy gameplay, this makes my day

• 3 weeks later...

It better be Sin or Rammy

Its almost guaranteed to be Sin, he's the only other character who has a model done.

Well, you both were right.

Details on Sin Kiske as a playable character in Guilty Gear Xrd are scarce at the moment, but what we do know is that he will feature a unique "Full Stomach" meter mechanic.

During combat, when you perform any of Sin's special moves, energy from the Full Stomach meter will be expended, and once it's completely empty, you won't be able to use any of his special moves.

You can, however, eat food to charge up Sin's Full Stomach meter.

Why limit how often Sin Kiske can use his special moves, though? That's an answer Arc System Works is holding on to, for now, to be unveiled in a future Guilty Gear Xrd: Sign report.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sin sounds like Holy Order Sol except I guess he starts with a full meter.

Pretty interesting. 

• 8 months later...

So, since we timeskipped...

-The game came out and was awesome, online room system is ass though. It only works well for public rooms...

-Leo Whitefang was released as a DLC character 

-Xrd got confirmed for EVO 2015

That's pretty much it. If anyone wants to fight drop your PSN's in here. Mine is chaoswarp19 (just say you're from here when adding me)

Also, this video is awesome. 

• Thumbs Up 2