Awoo.

Sonic Lost World Announced

Carbo

I wonder if the regular enemies in the game will be Eggman robots or some kind of creatures based on the six silhouettes. It could be both, I guess, if there's some kind of conquer-the-hex-grid overworld gameplay going on, but if Eggman's saved for an endgame surprise or just doesn't show up at all... who knows?

The idea of Sonic fighting organic creatures as regular enemies is a little weird to me, though. He's not like Mario, whose jumping on enemies could be interpreted as knocking them out or whatever; a spindash from Sonic would probably liquefy most critters. I guess they could be spirits that dissolve into energy or flowers or something?

Just hope these guys speak english, dont want tails to be sitting all day fixing his translator like he did in colors,

well he didn't try to fix it the whole game

Just hope these guys speak english, dont want tails to be sitting all day fixing his translator like he did in colors,

well he didn't try to fix it the whole game

But now you can fix it with the Wii U GamePad! Minigames ahoy!

Alternatively the guardians could speak in whatever their native tongue is and the translation could be displayed on the GamePad. That'd be a pretty neat little touch actually, making it really feel like the Miles Electric.

• Thumbs Up 3

The idea of Sonic fighting organic creatures as regular enemies is a little weird to me, though. He's not like Mario, whose jumping on enemies could be interpreted as knocking them out or whatever; a spindash from Sonic would probably liquefy most critters. I guess they could be spirits that dissolve into energy or flowers or something?

They'll just disappear in a puff of smoke like all retro video game bad guys.
  • Thumbs Up 2

What if the Six Guardians are Bowser's long lost sons and they are trying to get back to Bowser by destroying Sonic in the Lost World.

Guys, if this were in anyway a Mario crossover that info'd be front-and-center. Most likely the connection stops at Sonic Team designing the villains as a homage and reference to the games' exclusivity.

in cutscenes the gamepad can be the cpu system in tails tornado, can be like a radar or something

EDIT: That made no sense

Edited by jordine

They'll just disappear in a puff of smoke like all retro video game bad guys.

Well, obviously, but something about that would still be a little weird. We've never really had normal-ish organic enemies before, aside from ShTH and a couple of bosses. It's always been either robots or demons or something. Flesh and blood creatures vanishing into puffs of smoke would technically be kind of a new thing for the series, now that I think about it.

I dunno, animals as standard enemies in a Sonic game is just a strange idea to me. I'm sure I'd get over it.

Had 10 minutes spare so had a quick bash as to how I see Slumpy in the image.

2rrtamw.png7

He's using a monocle and is holding his pinky finger out like a gentlemen. 

I see his left hand doing more of a "Rock On" kind of gesture personally. I have a feeling these new characters will have some kind of stereotypical personalities: The Rocker, The Big and Slow, The Girl, The Old and Wise, The Little and Cute, etc...

In terms of guessing which character goes with which zone, Discord!Waluigi is probably the most puzzling one for me. His colour scheme is apparently purple (...just like Waluigi), which doesn't give that many clues, at least compared to King Bowslim's red and Lady Combover's green.

Oh, one other thing:

King Bowslim - Roy/Tiny Tiger

Globoltz - Morton/Koala Kong

Lady Combover - Wendy/Pinstripe

Professor Sealife - Ludwig/Dingodile

Discord!Waluigi - Lemmy/Ripper Roo

Yoda!Furby - ...Larry/Komodo Bros?

Robotnik can be Iggy/Cortex(/N. Gin?) because he does mad science or some shit.

Edited by Dr. Crusher
  • Thumbs Up 1

I don't see a problem with animal/biological enemies. Sonic and other friends have butted heads without there being any carnage. I don't think these new guys are going to be offed, at least. End Zone boss, gets roughed up a bit, retreats or joins Sonic's team.

Kinda like how Sonic made Chaos good by beating up his brain. There's probably some science to that.

• Thumbs Up 1

For Chaos, Sonic pretty much shot enough positive energy into him to balance (or possibly even eliminate outright) his negative thoughts.

So if we're using Chaos as an example for these guys turning good, Sonic would probably need to beat them as Super Sonic.

Edited by Spin Attaxx

For Chaos, Sonic pretty much shot enough positive energy into him to balance (or possibly even eliminate outright) his negative thoughts.

So if we're using Chaos as an example for these guys turning good, Sonic would probably need to beat them as Super Sonic.

If Knuckles, Blaze, Shadow or Silver are much of any indication, Sonic can turn an animal characters moral alignment by simply wailing on them a bit tongue.png

They're not. I simply said they "act" like relatable siblings. xP

I was referring to some material somewhere that referred to them as siblings.

If Knuckles, Blaze, Shadow or Silver are much of any indication, Sonic can turn an animal characters moral alignment by simply wailing on them a bit tongue.png

Those guys weren't evil to begin with though (with the possible exception of Shadow. Even then Amy was the one who made him see The Light).

And Chaos isn't really an animal - he's more a freak of nature cum demigod.

Edited by Spin Attaxx

Maybe they can use the new technology of a screen in the controller as revolutionarily as they did in Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2 by having character portraits display on it during gameplay.

Yeah.

• Thumbs Up 4

Honestly, I just hope that this game allows Off-TV Play. Playing it on the GamePad instead of just my mediocre TV would be quite lovely.

• Thumbs Up 8

Maybe they can use the new technology of a screen in the controller as revolutionarily as they did in Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2 by having character portraits display on it during gameplay.

Yeah.

Huh, you just reminded me of the Chao Adventure VMU minigame...

Does the WiiU gamepad support semi-standalone stuff like that? Cause that would be awesome.

• Thumbs Up 2

Huh, you just reminded me of the Chao Adventure VMU minigame...

Does the WiiU gamepad support semi-standalone stuff like that? Cause that would be awesome.

It technically could, but you won't be able to go further than the room you're in with it anyway.  Literally the only benefit to having such a minigame on the gamepad would be allowing someone else to play the regular game at the same time on the TV.  Otherwise there's no reason it can't be on the TV as well and just also have TV-off mode.

Yeah, as Jez said, it's a tad pointless because of the limited range of the Wii U pad and if the TV isn't frequently in use, but it's completely possible. Having a nice little quiet Chao Adventure-esque game would be nice to kill a bit of boredom when someone's watching TV and if you find the screen a bit cramped to play what's meant to be a big-screen Sonic experience on, but... ehhh. I'd rather it was a 3DS thing that had Streetpass and Spotpass features, or you could use Play Coins to... buy missions/extra acts you normally had to actually play the game for, or something. I dunno. It's quite a messy idea to do now.

Though I'd still rather they poured any resources for that kind of thing into a Sonic Shuffle 2 using the gamepad as the VMU.

It technically could, but you won't be able to go further than the room you're in with it anyway.  Literally the only benefit to having such a minigame on the gamepad would be allowing someone else to play the regular game at the same time on the TV.  Otherwise there's no reason it can't be on the TV as well and just also have TV-off mode.

Actually this might be the perfect opportunity for a good 2-player coop in a 3D Sonic, since Sonic and Tails on the classic Tornado gives me Sonic 2 vibes. While it was possible to have second player control Tails in SA1 or your partner in Shadow it was never practical because the fast pace and erratic camera made it very difficult for them to keep up. Splitting the players up with separate screens would fix that.

Actually this might be the perfect opportunity for a good 2-player coop in a 3D Sonic, since Sonic and Tails on the classic Tornado gives me Sonic 2 vibes. While it was possible to have second player control Tails in SA1 or your partner in Shadow it was never practical because the fast pace and erratic camera made it very difficult for them to keep up. Splitting the players up with separate screens would fix that.

Bare in mind though that split up characters rarely makes for engaging co-op.  It's tricky to give incentive for players to stick together, and in a game as fast-paced as Sonic, that might be awkward to expect of the players in terms of physical capability.

Don't forget though, 3DS does actually have Download Play, so they could always make a downloadable game through that, or offer connectivity between the two versions.

Yeah, I know simply giving the second player their own screen won't make for an engaging experience unless the game as a whole is built around it. It's still an interesting possibly the WiiU pad presents if done well.

So anybody else hoping they finally have the good sense to be rid of dash pads? Or is that just an accepted flaw?

• Thumbs Up 6