Awoo.

Sonic Lost World Announced

Carbo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwW-Gur97GQ

Relevant.

Watch the darker lines all be given to shadow.

Edited by Dom
  • Thumbs Up 1

So looking at the dialogue, this is what I'm thinking

You're going home in a box,”

Could be any of the Zeti

'I'm going to skin you alive,'

Sounds like something that Zazz or Zavok would say, though Zeena has some nails on her, so she's a definite possibility too

'I long for death's cold embrace.'

Definitely sounds like Zor if he keeps the emo shtick, though I guess Zik is a possibility with him being an old fart and all

I'll get fat from eating your black hearts,”

Sounds like it could be Zomom simply due to the eating aspect, but I dunno

“One second you're contemplating genocide,”

This is probably one of the heroes, or maybe even Orbot, chastising Eggman's change of face, though if any of the Deadly 6 were to turn good in the story (which I really hope not) I guess this would happen then

“As long as I can still strangle a Zeti, my hands are fine.”

Knuckleeeeeeeees

• Thumbs Up 5

Knuckleeeeeeeees

Okay now I have the image of Knuckles getting into a stranglehold battle with one of the Deadly Six while making that "glub glub glub" sound from SA1. You guys know the scene. 

Edited by Chaos Warp
  • Thumbs Up 7

One second you're contemplating genocide,

genocide

I give up.

Just about all the others I can imagine being said in a joky way and even light hearted... but that one word... yeah.... I just can't see how.It's just the fact they've chosen that one word that makes it a little... erm... well...

The scary thing is, given what we know about this games plot... odds are it's Sonic or Eggman who is saying that.

I'm going to skin you alive

Reading this stuff is kinda surreal. They've referenced death plenty of times but some of this stuff evokes disturbing images.

And I'm totally okay with that. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Ok let's look at these individually real quick.

"You're going home in a box"

"I'm going to skin you alive"

Pretty straightforward taunts/threats, could come from any of the Six (or possibly Eggman). Darker than the series normally goes for, but nothing too terrible.

"I long for death's cold embrace."

This, I am guessing, is from Slumpy, the depressed-looking guy with the rose. So basically overdramatic emo poetry and not the game trying to be ultradark.

"I'll get fat from eating your black hearts"

This isn't anything I can imagine the heroes or Eggman saying, so it's gotta be one of the Six (maybe Grimmace? eating is his thing, but he's already fat). Not too dark, but kind of odd.

"One second you're contemplating genocide"

Obviously any kind of overt reference to genocide is kind of touchy, but it's never going to go beyond a reference because the contemplating was obviously interrupted, so...not too bad.

"As long as I can still strangle a Zeti, my hands are fine."

This one...it's most likely coming from Knuckles (after being taunted for his freakish hands), but even though he can be a rough dude, threatening to strangle someone seems a bit much for a hero.

So, overall...I don't think there's anything in here that can't be done right. But given the series' history of poor storytelling, it's hard to be optimistic about it.

Edited by Diogenes

Maybe Eggman decides "those six Zeti betrayed me - better KILL THEM ALL" but something pops up that would allow him to regain control of the six, and suggesting it to Sonic prompts the genocide line.

Edited by Spin Attaxx

The problem with the genocide quote is we are missing the latter half. had the ESRB giving the whole quote a better context could have been given. This is probably done on purpose to fend off any parent that is tech savy and wants their kids to avoid such languages no matter the full context.

Keep in mind these are the Colours writers we're talking about, and this is the Sonic series. I'm guessing that these lines will be said in a comical context, dampening their darkness. Which would be squandering their potential but it's the most likely outcome sadly. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Those quotes seem pretty silly. The characters saying those lines, if they're who I assume, look pretty silly.

This whole game is really fucking silly.

• Thumbs Up 2

Is this dark enough 4 U?! Is this wat U want?! Look's like a certain writer has been browsing our forums and seeing our complaints...

• Thumbs Up 4

Is this dark enough 4 U?! Is this wat U want?! Look's like a certain writer has been browsing our forums and seeing our complaints...

SSMB should just make one massive TL:DR collab post about exactly how we want the writing to be so he can catch word lol. 

Edited by Chaos Warp
  • Thumbs Up 1

The problem with the genocide quote is we are missing the latter half.

Does that even matter?

We all know what genocide means, so based on this one line. One of the characters in the game is planning to kill or wipe out a certain group of people (though being a Sonic game I'm guessing it's going to be the animal friends).

I joked earlier about 'cucumber sandwiches' being the rest of the line... even if it were that, or something completely bonkers, it doesn't change the fact that somebody in the game right now is planning to kill, a mass of people/animals.

Now based on what we know about the game so far, the only character this could possibly apply to is Eggman. Since he's against Sonic, then ally's himself with him.

But at the same time, does this sound like Eggman? Yeah there are arguments to be made that he has killed in the past... but still... genocide? In SA 2, did Gerald go that far with his 'vengence' speech?

Erm... why would Sonic ever need to say this?

To be honest, these lines don't surprise me after the Colour powers trailer.

"Your fate is to be destroyed. Why don't you just accept that, lie down and die!?"

The aforementioned quotes don't seem to be that much of a stretch onwards.

But at the same time, does this sound like Eggman?

"You fool. Away, before I make minced meat out of you..." - Dr. Robotnik, Sonic Adventure

Edited by Auto
  • Thumbs Up 5

"You fool. Away, before I make minced meat out of you..." - Dr. Robotnik

May I also add "Irritating little pin cushion! Give up and die already!" - Dr Eggman, right before firing his drill-arm to destroy the metal platform in the Egg Dragoon boss fight and then starts trying to snipe at Sonic whilst they're both falling.

• Thumbs Up 5

Looking at the quotes, they fit the deadly six pretty well considering the way Zavok seems to speak from the trailer, I don't know why but after hearing the way he speaks, it seems like they are severely hell bent of eradicating Sonic, they seem to be the perfect classic sort of bad guy, you know kinda like those 80's cartoons nemesis :P

Either way this at least proves we'll have some form of a story.

• Thumbs Up 3

To be honest, it's nowhere near as heavy as SA2 succeeded with in dark and edginess, and we can certainly go deeper than this as far as a dark tone goes, but it's no juvenile writing either. This'll really be interesting to see... now if only we can get even more mood whiplash to this...

Keep in mind these are the Colours writers we're talking about, and this is the Sonic series. I'm guessing that these lines will be said in a comical context, dampening their darkness. Which would be squandering their potential but it's the most likely outcome sadly. 

Why exactly is it necessary for the game to go full dark and gritty? I'd rather the maturity actually come from a serious character dillema or a touching emotionally deep ending.

Honestly these lines look like they were written by a fanfic writer.

I can just imagine the Deadly Six being frustrated as hell with Sonic and wondering who could stand being stopped by him more than once, with Eggman just looking at them all smug.

Edited by ElementofChaos
  • Thumbs Up 5

On the whole genocide thing, I think that's part of a conversation between Sonic and Eggman relating to the Zeti,

I mean think about it, we know the Deadly Six are going to betray Eggman and/or step on his territory, that much we know from the small plot synopsis. I don't think it'd be that much of a stretch to have Eggman ranting about how he will destroy them all, before getting distracted by something else. Then Sonic chimes in with the genocide comment. Considering there are only six Zeti that we know of, the world "genocide" wouldn't be that much of a huge deal.

Now based on what we know about the game so far, the only character this could possibly apply to is Eggman. Since he's against Sonic, then ally's himself with him.

But at the same time, does this sound like Eggman? Yeah there are arguments to be made that he has killed in the past... but still... genocide? In SA 2, did Gerald go that far with his 'vengence' speech?

Erm... why would Sonic ever need to say this?

Calling it genocide really isn't too far away from the truth, if you take the brutally realistic view of it. I'm sure people here have said about as much regarding his use of animals and wisps. For the series to come right out and say it in those terms is kind of shocking, but I don't think it quite crosses the line.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Hello SonicStadium! ^^

When I read those lines, the lines of Zavok in the german trailer makes totally sense now.

They try to downplay the whole story.. To make it appeal to the german audience(kids).

I really hate german dubs some times...

Well I hope we can change the language again like in generations. Or I have to change the language of the console.

I do like it. Only need to see in what context they will use them. :3

• Thumbs Up 1

"It might even open up the gates of hell!!!" ~ Sonic

• Thumbs Up 3