Awoo.

Sonic Lost World Announced

Carbo

Does anyone here know for sure if there will be more than 3 acts per level in Lost World?

It was confirmed to have 6 acts per zone, just like Colors.

EDIT: Ninja'd.

Edited by Tomoki

^^Woah, this is the first I've heard about it. While i speculated that there could be six, i never knew it was actually confirmed lol.

Is there a source/quote from Iizuka/Aaron referencing that??

It was from some interview, IIRC. I think it was from IGN? I don't remember. But yeah, there's 6 Acts per zone; 2 Parkour Platforming stages, 2 Speed Stages, and 2 2D Side-scrolling Stages.

• Thumbs Up 1

It was implied in the Nintendo World Report interview:

TI: The candy stage sticks out as a little more unusual, even more than the other stages actually, but it still comes from what we were saying. You're in the Desert Ruins world now. Even though you might get tired of the desert after two stages you're going to be in the desert for six stages now. Players might get tired of that. So that's coming from the idea that we want to try something different. More variety, especially in the worlds that people might get more tired of.

And I think it's been more explicitly stated elsewhere (maybe by Aaron?), not sure though.

Edited by ElementofChaos

Aside from the setting, and I guess the part where not-Knuckles was going to kill himself (that happened, right? I'm not making that up somehow?), there's nothing about SatBK's story that I don't think would fly in a main series game.

Sonic fighting rivaling characters, Sonic actually getting tricked by a so-called ally, fighting against said initial ally who's a sympathetic anti-villain, and other forms of magic?

There's quite a few things in SatBK's story that could fly in a main series game, some of which has been done before. And others that haven't been done would be a breath of fresh air for the main series.

At any rate...

If you can't think of any way to improve a character to make them work better, then you're giving up to easily!

Guess where this is going? smile.png

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonîc

With regards to "Mario fans enjoying Lost World", didn't they say basically the same thing about Colours as well?

But yeah, there's 6 Acts per zone; 2 Parkour Platforming stages, 2 Speed Stages, and 2 2D Side-scrolling Stages.

So a Generations-esque division but with a whole new system. I like this idea!

I'm guessing there are seven zones, one for each of the Six and one for whatever final boss there is?

My best thing I've heard about it is the game seems more difficult than the more recent ones... thank goodness, since I'd like more play time.

Oh for the love of I am so sick of this

New Super Mario Bros was less frequent and recurring than the back-to-back Classic Sonic games we got in the first half of the 90s, and they are just as samey in context with one another. 

The fact that they are "rehashes" doesn't make them any less good.

MOVING ON TO SONIC LOST WORLD, NOW.

At least all of the classic Sonic games bothered to have different level aesthetics, while NSMB U is the only game in the NSMB series to do that (surprise surprise it's the one I really like). And things were added to the gameplay in each game: Sonic 2 introduced the spindash, while Sonic 3K introduced playable Tails (complete with flight) and Knuckles and his climbing and gliding, as well as new powerups. Not to mention the level design was refined through the three classic games. 

And I believe that the fact that they are rehashes does make them less good. Other then U each NSMB game feels like it could be a DLC pack as opposed to a new full game if it was not for the small change in graphical fidelity when moving from console to console, and that makes me believe that they aren't worth me paying more money for the next instalment when I already have one of the games in the series. (of course U is exempt from this because it actually changes things). 

Is there a NSMB topic we can take this into?

Edited by Chaos Warp
  • Thumbs Up 2

Hate to get off-topic, but comparing the NSMB series to the classic Sonic series is apples to oranges.

Each of the original Sonic games had dramatic progressions in style for art, music, atmosphere, gameplay, and way of storytelling that made them seperate from each other enough to realize they were successors and predecessors of one another. You could play any of the NSMB games in any order and the only purely notable things you can point out is that NSMBU's backgrounds are a bit more detailed, one game has COINS!!!!!, and 2 out of 4 games have 4-player.

But yeah, hearing that they wanna attract Mario fans is no surprise. Focusing on platforming more is good, but I hope they don't keep that mentality of reeling in Mario peeps for every upcoming game. Considering how game-y Mario games feel (especially nowadays), thats beyond what I don't want Sonic to hold onto.

Edited by New Age Retro Azoonky

It would make more sense to compare NSMB to Sonic 4.

Basically, NSMB is Mario's Sonic 4 equivalent except it was   done right.

• Thumbs Up 6

NSMBU and maaaaybe the DS one were the only titles i personally liked in the series. Otherwise 3D Mario is where it's at for me.

• Thumbs Up 6

I don't know why it's so bad for 2D fans to be thrown a couple of games here or there. There are a lot of gamers who still prefer 2D gaming to 3D gaming. There's more than enough games to go around for all of us, we don't need to purge games not marketed at us out of the industry.

Well this is quite morbid compared to the likes of Colours and Generations but hey, maybe this could be a good thing. As long as "DAMN NOT HERE" doesn't start popping up, we're fine.

Some of the dialogue is sounding about as dark as some of the Eggman P.A. announcements in Colours were, the main difference being that it sounds like they'll be more serious rather than for dark humour (well, we'll see once they're in context). That's fine by me.

I just hope the writers aren't forcing this type of dialogue. I will admit, it's a nice change of pace over what we've had recently, but let's not forget what happened after a certain game tried doing this.

Dark dialogue in a visually lighthearted game? You know what this means. BLACK COMEDY IN A SONIC GAME!

• Thumbs Up 2

Really, I'm wondering if the writers have been changed. Then again, it isn't completely out of the MadWorld writers to do this.