Awoo.

Sonic Lost World Announced

Carbo

The only thing I want out of the cutscenes other than good narrative is cartoony animation, which would be very appropriate for such a cartoony game. I loved how characters in Generations moved, which was criticized for having everyone "constantly flap their limbs and torsos around" and making them "look like they were mocapped by a Power Ranger". It's a CARTOONY game, movement is supposed to be exaggerated. Throw in some stretch and squash (which they're already doing with the jumping and spin dashing animations) in there, and western animation fans like me will be joyous.

I think i'm going to stop visiting the Gamefaqs board of this game, since....well......yeah. :/

You went there too huh?

But back on topic, does anyone else semi hope that while sonic is doing his own thing, the game will have some cutscenes of tails, amy, and knuckles just pretty much exploring lost hex and have all of these hilarious moments while doing so, kind of like sonic x.

• Thumbs Up 1

You went there too huh?

Mhm. It was a big mistake, in which i pretty much have decided to revert my attention either here for future LW discussion that doesn't contain too much drama all over the place.

Count me as another person skeptical of the PR's claim about other characters making appearances. Episode II's PR was just so full of horseshit from top to bottom I don't think I could take a PR statement without looking interpreting it to have a double/hidden meaning.

The more I think about or look at this game I grow more cynical about it, I have a feeling it's going to end up as a game with a lot of great concepts that were wasted or executed in a mediocre fashion like the past few games. If anything, I bet that aside from the gameplay and artstyle everything's going to be the same as Colors and Generations in terms of plot and content-which will be a damn shame if you ask me.

Edited by Gabe the Grouch
  • Thumbs Up 3

Game comes out in 3 months, by this point we saw cutscene 4 from Colors and it was just how it looked in the final release, just saying. Could be changed, but yeah I'm just saying. Not being a whiner, not being a grumpy cat, just expressing mild concerns and trying to look at things realistically based on how things turned out before when I set my hype too high.

Yeah, but Sonic Team had a lot to prove at those times. We haven't gotten nearly as much exposure to this game compared to the past two games. They have been more secretive about this one. We have more information about games coming out in 2014 than we have this game in terms of premise. And the stuff they shown us that is playable is clearly not the meat of the game...apart from Windy Hill and Dessert ruins 2 the rest feel like extra acts.

To be honest the mass amount of exposure we had in the past couple games I feel was bad. Putting out pretty much every level your going to play at before release seems really stupid and ruins the experience, but so far in Lost World it seems that the stuff they shown playable is the silly stuff we are going to play like the extra acts in Generations.

Edited by Voyant

I know this seems a little too way ahead of schedule for me to say, but I would assume that given the effort they have placed on redesigning the gameplay, most likely the next Sonic title (which chances are they already are working on) will use the same gameplay.

If that's the case, I really hope the tube level design stays behind. I think it's cool to have one title with that regard, but once Sonic is back in his world, I would like to see the parkour system used in a more familiar environment; and I am not talking about tropes, just about the feels of a level, although I personally think they could do a Storybook game with this gameplay and less gimmicks compared to the previous ones.

The thought has crossed my mind that the 3rd exclusive will be a Storybook game.

Ugh, please no. The storybook games were awful, and i'd like to believe that the audience for that spin-off franchise have died off completely.

*Colors

I sure hope it does, so it ain't short like Generations.

Edited by Auto

I actually liked SatSR, haven't played black knight yet. But to be fair this kinda gameplay would work for any sonic game, spinoff or otherwise :)

It'd just make it harder to determine which one was wich!

I really didn't like the portrayal of Sonic in Black Knight, making him the villain is a bit stupid I think. I hope those writers don't come back, or at least use some sensible writing if they do. 

What if it has a gameplay akin to a main 3D game? Like, the story and setting will be storybook-like but the gameplay will be just like in main titles?

If there's gonna be a new storybook title with the same writers as in Black Knight, I would LOVE to have that game simply because Black knight story and characterisation were THAT great.

It'd kind of defeat the purpose of a spin off if it played like a main title.

• Thumbs Up 1

I really didn't like the portrayal of Sonic in Black Knight, making him the villain is a bit stupid I think. I hope those writers don't come back, or at least use some sensible writing if they do. 

How did they make Sonic the bad guy?

Sonic wasn't the villain in black Knight, he said he doesn't mind playing one tho. The context of the quote is that Sonic is fighting against a king in his land, which technically makes him the "villain" in the sense that he's opposing a monarchy, which is technically morally wrong from that standpoint. Sonic is still ultimately morally superior despite this, so he's still the hero.

• Thumbs Up 9

To be honest the mass amount of exposure we had in the past couple games I feel was bad. Putting out pretty much every level your going to play at before release seems really stupid and ruins the experience, but so far in Lost World it seems that the stuff they shown playable is the silly stuff we are going to play like the extra acts in Generations.

Advertising the little extra acts from Generations would have been the worst marketing campaign in the history of the franchise.

That's like... a JRPG's trailers and gameplay footage all being based on the side-quests in towns while the actual story and game mechanics are kept completely secret until release. 

There's a middle ground between revealing everything and overexposing the shit nobody cares about.

• Thumbs Up 5

I don't think you really payed attention to the story....
  • Thumbs Up 6

Well I haven't played Black Knight in a while, so there could be some things that I'm forgetting. But the plot of Black Knight kind of felt....off...to me. 

I'd like to remind that this came from a trailer. It's a bit quick to assume that this is what the final game will look like.

Exactly. Remember the first surprise party pic from Generations and how it looked in the final...or any pic of Generations before and final (See "Green Hill HUB world")

To be honest, the characterization of Sonic present in both Colours and Black Knight was  pretty good to me. They showed different sides of his character which fit with the tone of the game he was in. Why not have both?

• Thumbs Up 6

I had no problem with Sonic in Colors aside from the fact that he wouldn't shut the fuck up. I get the writers want to make him funny, but there's a time and place and that time isn't in every single cutscene.

• Thumbs Up 1

Advertising the little extra acts from Generations would have been the worst marketing campaign in the history of the franchise.

I don't remember saying that way of doing it was a good idea. Regardless though there are sorta doing that with Lost World and apart from a few fans its doing a good enough job grabbing people's attention in a positive aspect. Honestly more of the hardcore Sonic Fan crowd is complaining about this title than everyone else. General gamers are fine with whats been shown more or less. 

That's like... a JRPG's trailers and gameplay footage all being based on the side-quests in towns while the actual story and game mechanics are kept completely secret until release. 

Now your over exaggerating.

There's a middle ground between revealing everything and overexposing the shit nobody cares about.

I agree, but we haven't had that kind of middle ground marketing since Unleashed came out. The only level that wasn't shown was Eggman Land.

Despite this, unlike other titles this game seems to be tackling a lot of different tropes at once so I'm sure we are in for a lot of neat stuff.

Edited by Voyant