Awoo.

Sonic Lost World Announced

Carbo

What if it has a gameplay akin to a main 3D game? Like, the story and setting will be storybook-like but the gameplay will be just like in main titles?

If there's gonna be a new storybook title with the same writers as in Black Knight, I would LOVE to have that game simply because Black knight story and characterisation were THAT great.

It'd kind of defeat the purpose of a spin off if it played like a main title.

If that's the case, I wouldn't mind if it wasn't a spinoff title then if it meant we got a story/writing and characterization akin to those two games as opposed to "THAT LOOKS LIKE A HOMING SHOT" parroting and jokes about "underwear worn by salads."

• Thumbs Up 1

If that's the case, I wouldn't mind if it wasn't a spinoff title then if it meant we got a story/writing and characterization akin to those two games as opposed to "THAT LOOKS LIKE A HOMING SHOT" parroting and jokes about "underwear worn by salads."

Thing is, Black Knight was a spin off and a lot of liberties can be taken with them that normally wouldn't fly in a main title, which is probably why the story was as good as it was.

I'm not talking about any of the replies here, but I don't get how some people think this game being like Colors = BAD. Besides the Wisps and the overall tone, it looks nothing like Colors to me. In Colors Sonic controlled like shit in 3D...

• Thumbs Up 1

Thing is, Black Knight was a spin off and a lot of liberties can be taken with them that normally wouldn't fly in a main title, which is probably why the story was as good as it was.

Aside from the setting, and I guess the part where not-Knuckles was going to kill himself (that happened, right? I'm not making that up somehow?), there's nothing about SatBK's story that I don't think would fly in a main series game.
  • Thumbs Up 6

At least he wasn't as much of a tank as he was in Unleashed.

In all honesty, I thought he controlled pretty fine in unleashed.

Yeah, he wasn't uncontrollable, but you gotta admit that Sonic had clunky low-speed control. The clunkiness is especially apparent when you compare Unleashed's control to Colors' and Generations'.

Edited by Auto
  • Thumbs Up 4

Yeah, he wasn't uncontrollable, but you gotta admit that Sonic had clunky low-speed control. The clunkiness is especially apparent when you compare Unleashed's control to Colors' and Generations'.

Agreed completely.

What if it has a gameplay akin to a main 3D game? Like, the story and setting will be storybook-like but the gameplay will be just like in main titles?

If there's gonna be a new storybook title with the same writers as in Black Knight, I would LOVE to have that game simply because Black knight story and characterisation were THAT great.

That was exactly what I meant. With regards to being a "spin-off", I disagree that the gameplay HAS to be different for it to be a spin-off. For all the complaining about the lack of emphasis on story in recent Sonic titles, that was exactly the strength in the Storybook titles (granted, the gameplay being shitty helped tip the scale).

The next step in a hypothetical Storybook title would have to be Greek/Norse mythology lore. I believe there is potential in the parkour system on a setting like Mount Olympus or the Underworld.

• Thumbs Up 1

One of these days I really need to learn what clunky actually means in these because I honestly don't see much of a problem with controlling him.

Basically, it was kind of a struggle for most people to turn. Sonic feels a bit "heavy" to me, if that makes sense, thus the term "tank". When I play Generations as modern Sonic after playing Unleashed, well, it's like playing Super Meat Boy after playing Bubsy 3D, it's much smoother.

Edited by Auto
  • Thumbs Up 2

Aside from the setting, and I guess the part where not-Knuckles was going to kill himself (that happened, right? I'm not making that up somehow?), there's nothing about SatBK's story that I don't think would fly in a main series game.

Well its not so much content, but I'm pretty sure Sega weren't all "NO STORY, PERIOD" as much as they are on the current titles.

Basically, it was kind of a struggle for most people to turn. Sonic feels a bit "heavy" to me, if that makes sense, thus the term "tank". When I play Generations as modern Sonic after playing Unleashed, well, it's like playing Super Meat Boy after playing Bubsy 3D, it's much smoother.

When I think of a tank, I thing of plowing over & through obstacles, much like Sonic when boosting (except he is FAST, & not slow). But yeah, he definitely felt really awkward walking & turning when not in boost mode.

Well its not so much content, but I'm pretty sure Sega weren't all "NO STORY, PERIOD" as much as they are on the current titles.

Well the key would be the theme - storybooks. Of course the story is going to be a strong point. It would be cool if that focus on story would be in the main games (except leave out the not-knuckles attempting suicide).

The Storybook titles were weird in that I felt they did most things right. The only thing they messed up was the most important thing....the basic gameplay. I enjoyed the story, the look of the levels, the music, the visuals and the way all the characters interacted with each other. But the actual gameplay...was...well, frustrating as hell.

That's why I wanted a Secret Rings level in Generations, like Levitated Ruin. I was curious what it would be like with reasonable gameplay.

Edited by Crazizzle
  • Thumbs Up 9

That's why I wanted a Secret Rings level in Generations, like Levitated Ruin. I was curious what it would be like with reasonable gameplay.

Levitated Ruins?

Try Starlight Carnival. Same thing with a new lick of paint. Now Night Palace would have been badass. I could even have settled for Dino Jungle or Evil Foundry.

• Thumbs Up 1

Levitated Ruins?

Try Starlight Carnival. Same thing with a new lick of paint. Now Night Palace would have been badass. I could even have settled for Dino Jungle or Evil Foundry.

Skeleton Dome would have been nice... Edited by Ben Tennyson
  • Thumbs Up 2

It's smoother, but we've still got a ways to go.  I was playing Generations last night and if you stray at all from the intended path, sonic controls like a greasy pig.  It's the reason there are always opportunities to homing attack to get where ever it is you're trying to go.  Without it, the game would be borderline unplayable.  At times, Generations feels more like a rhythm game than a 3d platformer.      

Edited by Radrappy
  • Thumbs Up 1

Night Palace in Generations would have been god like. The night theme and the mysterious hourglass space would have mixed up things a bit. I'd honestly prefer it over the boring Planet Wisp.

Anyways, since Lost World is on a DLC compatible platform, I wonder if we would get anything down the line? Unleashed had a lot while Generations had a pinball stage. It would be cool to see some new stages, hard mode, or something down the line to extend gameplay.

• Thumbs Up 1

Night Palace in Generations would have been god like. The night theme and the mysterious hourglass space would have mixed up things a bit. I'd honestly prefer it over the boring Planet Wisp.

Anyways, since Lost World is on a DLC compatible platform, I wonder if we would get anything down the line? Unleashed had a lot while Generations had a pinball stage. It would be cool to see some new stages, hard mode, or something down the line to extend gameplay.

Yeah, I would love to see some extra acts that made creative use of all the things that this game offers and maybe even like a free fun mode where you get points for doing cool parkour moves and keep them consistent and if you get enough points you can unlock something and get more free run courses.

Don't touch the ground missions inbound laugh.png

I could see them abusing that one. Or for a slightly more creative twist, how about bringing back the 30 second trials generations invented, and replace them with parkour challenges to see who can make it farthest in a stage without breaking their flow.

Sonic Team could really shake up the traditional mission list thanks to all these new moves.

Edited by Sega DogTagz

The Storybook titles were weird in that I felt they did most things right. The only thing they messed up was the most important thing....the basic gameplay. I enjoyed the story, the look of the levels, the music, the visuals and the way all the characters interacted with each other. But the actual gameplay...was...well, frustrating as hell.

I bloody love Secret Rings, although it feels really weird playing it now. Someone should remake the entire gameplay & use the Generations style gameplay - my god, its amazing just thinking about it!

• Thumbs Up 1

I bloody love Secret Rings, although it feels really weird playing it now. Someone should remake the entire gameplay & use the Generations style gameplay - my god, its amazing just thinking about it!

Yeah I really like Secret Rings too, but the only thing which lets it down are its controls. If they fixed that, then it'll be one of my favourite Sonic games.

Edited by KrazyBean
  • Thumbs Up 3

So basically, it would have been better if it wasn't for the Wii.

Not necessarily, the Wii did get colours after all :P

Hmm wonder of the project unleashed mod team could do it?

• Thumbs Up 1