Awoo.

Sonic Lost World Announced

Carbo

don't a lot of them just have CGI for an opening and ending any some last story parts?

Some do. Kinda. Examples:

- Sonic Riders, Sonic Riders Zero Gravity, both Storyboks. All these have 3 CG scenes. Intro, in the middle of story, ending. Black Knight also has transformation into Gold armored Sonic scene but the ending is in comic-style.

not sure about unleashed as the quality is about the same tongue.png

It's strange that some people can't really tell them apart.. Unleashed definitely used quite a few CG scenes.

colours again I think uses the in game models apart from things like the opening and the ending scenes

..also has several story CG cutscenes like shutting off the generators, The Interstellar park exploding etc.

riders uses the in game models

mentioned above just like Zero Gravity and storybooks.

I'm a huge fan of CG scenes in Sonic games (and in games in general) so I know what I'm talking about)).

Edited by ArtFenix

As long as the story matches or passes colors, I won't really care if there is or isn't a ton of CGI.

(Besides the whole Eggman/Sonic partnership thing already makes me more interested in this plot than the entirety of Generations.)

Anyway, so I'm loving what I've seen mostly.(Aside from Frozen factory act 3 looking boring to play and most of desert ruins) The visuals and art direction is awesome. It to me is just as interesting as Unleashed's-Generations. I like both, just in different ways. LW does a great job at trying something new and bringing classic themes into 3D, while the U-G games just looked gorgeous at creating there own stages or recreating stages.

The tube gameplay has really grown on me with each time I look at it. It could really suit sonic with the whole parkour thing. I just hope they use more parkour in the faves, as we havent seen a whole lot. The wisps I really hope are integrated into the levels better than what we've seen. They can really compliment the levels if done well, but right now, they just seem to be there to be there, and just distract.

So overall, I'm not super hyped, but I definitely am interested in the game.

That's what I mean, a lot of them only really have a cgi opening, ending and maybe some near final boss cutscene parts (bar Unleashed but that had a Huuge budget) so I can't really see this one breaking the mould

Off topic: I actually quite like the riders intro style :P with the drawings and the shading

Edited by Jolt_TH

That's what I mean, a lot of them only really have a cgi opening, ending and maybe some near final boss cutscene parts (bar Unleashed but that had a Huuge budget) so I can't really see this one breaking the mould

Off topic: I actually quote like the riders intro style tongue.png with the drawings and the shading

That's cool))! (about your drawing)

Not really. The only games that have 2-3 CG scenes are storybooks and riders. Every other game has more than intro/opening - middle - ending, including Colors.

Yes but my point being that its mainly in game cutscenes as opposed to cgi, really I should have used "important plot point" as opposed to "before the final boss"

If you compare the numbers there is a higher ratio of in game ones than cgi ones.

Either which way my original point was I doubt there will be loads, probably just the usual amount.

Which begs the question, if that scene in the colour power trailer isn't an important plot point, what is it about? (Unless they haven't finished the rendering, but then why would they have put it in the trailer :/)

Yes but my point being that its mainly in game cutscenes as opposed to cgi, really I should have used "important plot point" as opposed to "before the final boss"

If you compare the numbers there is a higher ratio of in game ones than cgi ones.

Either which way my original point was I doubt there will be loads, probably just the usual amount.

Which begs the question, if that scene in the colour power trailer isn't an important plot point, what is it about? (Unless they haven't finished the rendering, but then why would they have put it in the trailer :/)

Well duh). Making ALL cutscenes CGi would cost a billion.

Because they seem to be removing everything from games that might require extra money put into it.

- No more character themes and even main game song's existance is questionable

- Thin, barebones stories

- Shortness of everything

- Simplifying everything

- Few CGi scenes

They remove everything that would make them put more money and they also do everything to please the so-called gaming critics. (Sonic-only, barebones stories etc.)

Edited by ArtFenix

Well he's the lack of a main theme does suck, not sure how I feel about the character themes anyway so that doesn't really bother me :P

Hopefully this won't be quite as "barebones" as Generations, I'll be happy with coloursesque story but hopefully we will get more than that.

Well we could see it as increasing the profit margin ;) and although that does indeed suck about critics, a lot of people listen to them, considering a lot of the target demographic plays games like COD (as I witnessed in KFC yesterday) then critics may be the o my way that a lot of people choose to even give the game a second glance

Edited by Jolt_TH

I'm really not sure why having CG is a big deal. That's probably the last thing I'd be concerned about. As long as the writing's decent and the scenes are well-choreographed and executed it really doesn't matter to me.

Let's put it this way: I'm a huge fan of CG Sonic scenes. I've always loved them. And I always loved eye-candy stuff like this or Unleashed-Generations graphics. I know for many people it's not a big deal but seeing so much gone from Sonic games, I would at least love to see my beautiful CG scenes. (even though they're nowhere near as beautiful as they were in 06 or Unleashed with the exception of Colors opening and Transformed intro)

I'm really not sure why having CG is a big deal. That's probably the last thing I'd be concerned about. As long as the writing's decent and the scenes are well-choreographed and executed it really doesn't matter to me.

The only reason I'd want CG in the game is because the animators at Marza seem to know how to animate Sonic and co a lot better for cutscenes than the in-house animators at Sonic Team. If they could match that in normal cutscenes then I won't even care if CG appears or not.

• Thumbs Up 7

Well Lost World did simplify everything, so of course that would extend to cutscenes too probably.

I don't understand how "Yes, there's a meatier story...in my opinion" means "No, the story is the same".

I'm skeptical of any PR guy's opinion, so I take it with a grain of salt. But I don't see how you can read it as the opposite. It's more of a "wait and see" thing.

Hah, and bringing up Shadow in Unleashed...I loved that one reporter girl's questions. Like the one, uh "What menace is affecting the Earth?" and one of the answers was Shadow the Hedgehog. It made me laugh the first time.

Edited by Crazizzle

tumblr_mq1npsNckM1qjkwxto1_250.gif

And it sorta has me worried. I really hope that what we've seen so far is basically an unfinished product that they're still tweaking and working on. imo all it needs is an added layer of lighting/shading and it'd look perfectly fine.

*hides in bomb-shelter*

This is my main worry too, nothing wrong with looking simple or taking a simpler approach, but this simply looks unfinished compared to what we've seen in game, it definitely needs a gradient layer over it to bring out the shadows and to push the contrast back and stop it looking like a block lot of colour.

I'm also hoping this is unfinished, but it's unlikely since they've been working on it since Generations, and only just shown it off a few months ago, disappointed to see no shaders or global illumination in this game, despite how pretty it looks, this is one thing that the basic nature of this game will go against itself.

• Thumbs Up 8

This is my main worry too, nothing wrong with looking simple or taking a simpler approach, but this simply looks unfinished compared to what we've seen in game, it definitely needs a gradient layer over it to bring out the shadows and to push the contrast back and stop it looking like a block lot of colour.

I'm also hoping this is unfinished, but it's unlikely since they've been working on it since Generations, and only just shown it off a few months ago, disappointed to see no shaders or global illumination in this game, despite how pretty it looks, this is one thing that the basic nature of this game will go against itself.

the screenshots so evidently show GI being used.

Have another one to look at.

Sonic-Lost-World-July-screenshots-28-102

Edited by Gatestormer

I'd like to remind that this came from a trailer. It's a bit quick to assume that this is what the final game will look like.

"But Dizcrybe, we've seen things before in trailers that people said would be fixed and they weren't."

Things change. I know, once bitten, twice shy, but still, try to have some faith in Sonic Team.

...personally, though, I couldn't care less if we get CG cutscenes or not. I just want a good game.

• Thumbs Up 2

the screenshots so evidently show GI being used.

Have another one to look at.

Sonic-Lost-World-July-screenshots-28-102

In game maybe, but the gif above with Zovak begs me to differ, just look, no shading, shadows, highlights or anything, it's all just flat line-less colour, I'm not going to judge it right now until the end product, but cutscenes aren't looking very impressive, everything just looks so...Flat.

The game itself when you're playing it look fucking gorgeous though.

In game maybe, but the gif above with Zovak begs me to differ, just look, no shading, shadows, highlights or anything, it's all just flat line-less colour, I'm not going to judge it right now until the end product, but cutscenes aren't looking very impressive, everything just looks so...Flat.

The game itself when you're playing it look fucking gorgeous though.

Those cutscenes are taking place in-game (as opposed to CGI) so they'll be using the same lighting that you see in levels. Whether it's final lightning or not in the trailer I dunno, but those are in-game cutscenes. Expect the same quality you see during gameplay. 

EDIT: And to be fair, the colours in that .gif are quite different from what we saw in the trailer, the contrast has been totally wiped.

ScreenShot2013-07-25at165253.png?t=13747

ScreenShot2013-07-25at165155.png?t=13747

Edited by Gatestormer
  • Thumbs Up 3

I know that, doesn't explain why it looks like ass during the cutscenes, the deadly six look so washed out in colour compared to their CG counterparts, hopefully it's just a minor fault during preparations for the trailer and they'll be fixed by end game.

I'd like to remind that this came from a trailer. It's a bit quick to assume that this is what the final game will look like.

"But Dizcrybe, we've seen things before in trailers that people said would be fixed and they weren't."

Things change. I know, once bitten, twice shy, but still, try to have some faith in Sonic Team.

...personally, though, I couldn't care less if we get CG cutscenes or not. I just want a good game.

Game comes out in 3 months, by this point we saw cutscene 4 from Colors and it was just how it looked in the final release, just saying. Could be changed, but yeah I'm just saying. Not being a whiner, not being a grumpy cat, just expressing mild concerns and trying to look at things realistically based on how things turned out before when I set my hype too high.

I know that, doesn't explain why it looks like ass during the cutscenes, the deadly six look so washed out in colour compared to their CG counterparts, hopefully it's just a minor fault during preparations for the trailer and they'll be fixed by end game.

That's why I hope even more that this game will have some CGi goodness because in-game cutscenes look like ass, let's be realistic. They have nothing against Unleashed. Heck, I honestly think what has been shown in the trailer is Sonic R level, albeit more high poligon models, but that's it. The new art style may look fine (not to me though, I friggin' hate it xD) but it's hard to deny that using the same style in the cutscenes without adding anything is not the best thing they could come up with. The plastic world and plastic enemies may look stylized in the game (again, not my cup of tea) but in the cutscenes it all looks so lame.. It doesn't help that the Deadly six also look very plastic-y with no fur and details that living beings should have and their coloring is just bad. This Zavok guy could look much, much better if he had more details on him and had grey/brown/black hair instead of this child of rainbow madness. His body color is also not right. It's oversaturated to the point that it makes me do something about my monitor settings.

I really hope it's one-game thing. I sure don't want Sonic cutscenes to look this bad in future games, especially on Ps4 (if there will be Sonic games, that is).

Sorry, I'm getting carried away a bit.

Edited by ArtFenix

That's why I hope even more that this game will have some CGi goodness because in-game cutscenes look like ass, let's be realistic. They have nothing against Unleashed. Heck, I honestly think what has been shown in the trailer is Sonic R level, albeit more high poligon models, but that's it. The new art style may look fine (not to me though, I friggin' hate it xD) but it's hard to deny that using the same style in the cutscenes without adding anything is not the best thing they could come up with. The plastic world and plastic enemies may look stylized in the game (again, not my cup of tea) but in the cutscenes it all looks so lame.. It doesn't help that the Deadly six also look very plastic-y with no fur and details that living beings should have and their coloring is just bad. This Zavok guy could look much, much better if he had more details on him and had grey/brown/black hair instead of this child of rainbow madness. His body color is also not right. It's oversaturated to the point that it makes me do something about my monitor settings.

I really hope it's one-game thing. I sure don't want Sonic cutscenes to look this bad in future games, especially on Ps4 (if there will be Sonic games, that is).

Sorry, I'm getting carried away a bit.

It would be redundant of the animators to add detail to character models just for cutscenes. And why would the reptilian Zeti need to have fur details? Don't you mean scaley textures? Either way, as polished as Unleashed in game models were, the only Extremely detailed parts of characters were hair, like Eggman's mustache and Chip's tail, but everything else still looked good.

Edited by Auto

In-game cut scenes are based on in-game assets. Adding extra detail just, well, misses the point of doing in-game animation. Granted, I'm not concerned with how the cut scenes will look at all anyway since 1.) The game looks fine, so it follows they will too, and 2.) Looking good is almost always not the primary purpose of a cut scene, and that's where my worry lies.