Awoo.

Sonic Lost World Announced

Carbo

But back to Lost World, I'm hoping that the boost Spin Dash is crazy fast like in Generations Classic (if slope physics still suck) but not an invincibility move.

Just for clarification, are you asking for the Spin Dash to not destroy enemies like the boost (or the original Spin Dash, for that matter)? 'Cause that'd be pretty weird, not to mention there's at least one screen shot of Sonic spin dashing towards an enemy, implying that it's completely safe to do.

I'm concerned that the spin-dash will fall into an unfortunate catch 22 (like almost everything in this game really) where if it's too much like the boost, people will complain, and if it's not enough like the boost, people will miss that feature.

I also hope that we see more of Sonic's attitude present in SA2, Black Knight and Colours, because I'd love for him to engage in some verbal combat with the Deadly Six (and also probably Robotnik). I think that would genuinely help separate this game from any Mario title, because Sonic actually has some attitude (which is partly why I preferred him in the first place).

Edited by EuroMIX
  • Thumbs Up 2

That reminds me though. It seems weird that people go off about the animal friends returning when they've been there since 2009 in spin-offs and then in Generations.

That said, I wonder if we'll see any more than the four that have been used over the last few years (Flicky, Cucky, Picky and Pecky). 

For reference (spoilered because one of the pics is big;

Girl_time.jpg

Looking behind the girls, you can see all four of them in the audience. This is also consistent with Mario and Sonic London.

variety_zpsd3596653.png

Also in the statue room, and subsequently in the missions to save them, they were the ones present.

Going by the trailer, three of them are in already, but in huge numbers which would make the presence of others suspect. But then have supposedly been sightings of Rocky in there too, so...I dunno.

Cucky, Flicky and Picky are confirmed to appear in Wind Hill. We'll very likely be seeing Pecky (penguin) in the ice zone too. But yeah, I hope they don't limit it to just those same few again. Minor detail, but it matters. Especially if they're putting the small animals back into the story. And hopefully there'll be new badniks outside of Wind Hill too, or at least reusing some of the more obscure ones if not (Snail Blaster from Launch Base is already in, which is awesome).

Edited by Blue Blood

I hope we get a world where there are lots of aerial enemies so I can send innocent turtles plummeting to their doom again.

As long as we don't have any Bubbles Badniks, I've had enough of them in Sonic 4, being useless stepping stones instead of acting as they should in Sonic 3 & Knuckles as proper annoyances.

But yeah if their indeed is a sky stage, I would love for those Turtles to return. 

What we really need is more Sonic 3 & Knuckles Badniks returning as the Sonic 4 games were mostly Sonic 1, 2 and a couple of Game Gear Badniks, as well as some new ones.

Speaking of the new ones  hope the Polar Bear Badnik returns too, That was my favorite Sonic 4 Badnik. 

I'm pretty much done with the entire sub-forum now until the games is released, but I felt this urgent matter must be brought to everyone's attention.

cucky.png

Blue eyes. Lost World confirmed for worst game ever.

I think they're actually supposed to be black eyes with gray irises, like classic Sonic during the Saturn era.

415143-sonic-jam-sega-saturn-screenshot-

But hey, if you say this matter is urgent, I'll just use this as an excuse to do my own little analysis regarding character designs.

I honestly think it's a bit jarring seeing the animals with the classic design era along the modern design of Sonic. With the Mario and Sonic games you don't (always) see them directly alongside Sonic, so you can't make direct comparisons. But when you get a good look at the two together, you can definitely see the differences.

Lgf7muv.jpg?1

You got the rotund body structure of the animal buddies hiding behind the athletic-built modern Sonic. Porky in particular also has four-fingered hands compared to Sonic's five-fingered hands (although this was also the case in the Genesis Sonic games as well). I think the most noticeable difference is the eyes. As previously noted, they have large black eyes (and gray irises starting with the Saturn era). Compared to Sonic's smaller eyes and larger green irises. The animal buddies' white dots (that represent the sunlight reflection) also appear near the top of their eyes, whereas modern Sonic's has his white dots near the bottom center (although in earlier designs/2D artwork, it appears at the top as well. With this in mind, it's possible that in this case, it's just the perspective of Sonic's eye or because of the direction he's looking that makes the white reflection dot look different compared to everyone else.) I'm also a bit intrigued on why the Flickies aren't designed like the Flickies from Sonic Adventure or 3D Blast: Flickies Island, which are a lot closer to the current artstyle.

It's a mostly insignificant design choice though, and it's definitely not worth creating another "baww green eyes" case out of it. I just thought it was something rather interesting to point out.

Rocky on the right, and I think it's Ricky on the left.

rickyrocky.png

I think they're actually supposed to be black eyes with gray irises, like classic Sonic during the Saturn era.

Well the thing is, they were solid black in Generations, S4 and the Olympic titles. I think it's a slight change to bring them a little more in line with the modern designs. Badniks too now have coloured eyes. 

EDIT: Something else animal related. People have pointed out that multiple animals have been spotted popping out of single badniks, but it's interesting to note how:

homingcombo.png

Sonic performs a chain of homing attacks on these Motobug. The first one spaws a single animal, the second spawns two, and from the third onwards there's three. This ties in really well with IGN's comment about the number of animals saved being totalled up in each level.

Rescuing these critters will not only be tracked level by level, but cumulatively, and will factor into unlockable content.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 3

I'm happy that SEGA are making the animals more of a main-stay in the franchise now, like Toads in Mario. Having a good combo of "cute" and "cool" characters is a good way of reaching to multiple audiences, something that Mario does well.

• Thumbs Up 7

Sonic performs a chain of homing attacks on these Motobug. The first one spaws a single animal, the second spawns two, and from the third onwards there's three. This ties in really well with IGN's comment about the number of animals saved being totalled up in each level.
So it's possible that killing enemies quickly in succession awards you with higher animal counts per enemy. If so, that opens the door to some difficult enemy placement that might further facilitate some strategy in moving about a level. Depending upon if Sonic will learn extra maneuvers as the game progresses (please Sega?), levels might get that much more hectic and awesome. <3
  • Thumbs Up 1

I do like the idea of being able to rack up points and shit the longer you can keep a homing attack chain going.

• Thumbs Up 1

I like the idea of doing a 15-chain homing attack and not being able to see shit since there's animals everywhere

On a more serious tone, I'd love it if they grabbed all the classic animals for this one, from Sonic 1 to Flicky's Island. Hell, imagine adding the Adventures animals too with a redesign to look more classic?

• Thumbs Up 6

The game just seems a little odd to be honest... It has a Super Mario Galaxy feel to it, and for a Sonic game that's just not okay for me. At all. I get where the Sonic CD likeness might come in, but even then I just don't like it. I'm not gonna run out and buy the Wii U just so I can play one game. It seems pointless! Who has the money these day to run out and just waste it on a piece of technology that will be obsolete in a few years? I don't. The 3DS will probably be as far as I go since I do enjoy handhelds, if I even decide to get one... My boyfriend has already told me I can borrow his when I want to, so it's a win win. I get to use it, I don't have to buy it. If my bf buys it for 3DS then fine, I might poke around on it for a bit. I just have this feeling that I'm not gonna like it.

If SEGA starts releasing more of their games for PC I'm all in. That means one system for me. Won't have to buy a new one until my graphics card is obsolete... and since I just got a new gaming computer, that won't be for awhile. I'm to the point that I find it stupid that people are having to make games that use motion technology to get people up to exercise like the Kinect or the Wii (certain games of course). I'd rather go play laser tag or go to nerf club on my campus.

Back on topic, I suppose what I'm trying to say is you can count me out on this one for the most part. I'd rather play through Sonic 06' again than dish out all that money for a new system seeing that the 3DS will probably get a less than okay version. That's not saying much though, I actually liked 06' >.>

I really hope that animal rescuing doesn't somehow become a wall to limit the access of content that otherwise should be readily available.

You know, like Acts.

I really hope that animal rescuing doesn't somehow become a wall to limit the access of content that otherwise should be readily available.

You know, like Acts.

You mean like the medals in Unleashed?

Come on, Sonic Team wouldn't be so stupid as to try that crap again... right?

Maybe not main acts, but maybe a few secret acts, or mini games. I don't want to get everything on my first run through a game (and at least you could just play your favourite level again as opposed to searching for medals :P)

You know, like Acts.

Oh fucking fuck.  I hadn't thought about this.

I feel like they modernized the animals a little bit, but at the same time, they still retain their classic feel. After all, the one thing all these animals have in common is how defenseless they are. I mean, Chao EAT them for breakfast (well not the animals themselves, but their life force as the animals die a slow and painful death - just like real animals, they hide so you don't see them die.)

I feel depressed now.

Yes. But several pages back so keep it up please. I believe Woun posted it.

Yeah, but he meant on a lot of the characters shoes their soles seem to be getting a little worn.

It's a cool little detail, but I sort of wish they'd change up the shoe designs a little sometimes.

Aaand, ninja'd.

Edited by Xenos