Awoo.

Sonic Lost World Announced

Carbo

I don't think that the Sonic and Eggman thing is going to work. Believe me, I've played games where the hero and the villain have to team up (Crash Twinsanity) and they've been great, they have been humorous.

Here's the thing, the writers of Colours are behind this game, so the writing is going to be awful. The best 'joke' we'll get will be something like, 'Hey, look, Baldy McNosehair can't keep up with me, haha!'

I'd love it if we had a better writer behind this game. They could make this work more than these writers will. Colours had absolutely terrible jokes, and I fear this will suffer the same fate.

But if it's not the Colours writers working on this than we're good!

• Thumbs Up 1

This is most likely an animation change, which they already confirmed. You can unlock and change the animation of Sonics run, such as how you see his run animation from Sonic CD, and this one right here. As well as a few others more than likely.

Where has this been confirmed, exactly? Because I've seen nothing of the sort. The closest being this from the IGN preview:

All of this and there are still a wide range of smaller details that will certainly please long-time Sonic fans. Some factor directly into game mechanics, such as the fact that Sonic will once again save animals throughout levels. Rescuing these critters will not only be tracked level by level, but cumulatively, and will factor into unlockable content. And then there are more subtle things, such as the animation for Sonic’s running or the presence of Red Star Rings (collected for unlockable content) and gold cannons (which access hidden paths). For every adjustment to the legacy, there is a similar tribute to it, and that acknowledgement is great to see.

Which is actually not saying anything about unlockable animations, just that the animations he has will please long-time fans.

what's with the sudden colours hate.

The writing in Colours is good.

You got the freaking PA announcements.

Yeah, I get it, not all of it was that funny, but guys. First time writing for Sonic.

They'll do welll this time. I mean, yeah.

And SEGA is hitting all the sweet spots, they'll make the wisps better too.

Just be cautiously optimisitic.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't think that the Sonic and Eggman thing is going to work. Believe me, I've played games where the hero and the villain have to team up (Crash Twinsanity) and they've been great, they have been humorous.

Here's the thing, the writers of Colours are behind this game, so the writing is going to be awful. The best 'joke' we'll get will be something like, 'Hey, look, Baldy McNosehair can't keep up with me, haha!'

I'd love it if we had a better writer behind this game. They could make this work more than these writers will. Colours had absolutely terrible jokes, and I fear this will suffer the same fate.

Good to know you know exactly how this is gonna play out...

Oh and Ken Pontac (head Colors writer) confirmed to be back on board with LW, so I guess you're just gonna have to deal with it.

There are some good lines and some good moments, but there are also some really, really bad ones, and it is really a poor story overall. I think the new writers can do better than what we've seen...but until they actually do, that doesn't mean much.

• Thumbs Up 4

There are some good lines and some good moments, but there are also some really, really bad ones, and it is really a poor story overall. I think the new writers can do better than what we've seen...but until they actually do, that doesn't mean much.

Okay, finally someone explains. Thank you so much.

Yeah, they prolly can do better. Well, hopefully they do their best this time.

Eggman was one of the bright spots of that game when it came to the writing. If anything, ushering him into the foreground with Sonic will be a precursor for more witty banter and more of that egg-centric personality that this fanbase has grown to adore. The Eggman PA announcements in colors were a collection of fantastic sequences, and his interactions with Orbot and Cubot have endeared those two to the fanbase.

Having Eggman around can only be a good thing.

• Thumbs Up 3

You got the freaking PA announcements.

Yeah, I get it, not all of it was that funny, but guys. First time writing for Sonic.

They'll do welll this time. I mean, yeah.

And SEGA is hitting all the sweet spots, they'll make the wisps better too.

Just be cautiously optimisitic.

I've seen people hating on Colors' (and Generations') writing for quite some time. Maybe it's because I'm coming from the official SEGA forums, but yeah...people will always find things to complain about.

I genuinely liked Colors' writing, especially the PA announcements. I can only hope that this game will get the same amount of cutscenes as Colors, or more, rather than the ~10 cutscenes Generations had.

OOOOH. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH.

I am hoping we get another trailer that gets another level revealed. Hopefully that isn't all tube-in-the-sky, so that there's variation.

And then I think they should keep all the other levels secret.

Finish it off at the Ice World I guess. Just 3 will be enough. We want suprises for the final product, yeah.

OH AND SPACE QUEENS REFERENCE IN ICE WORLD MUSIC PLEASE. THANKS.

According to the IGN editor who wrote the Lost World article's tweet, we should get more news before E3 and he said it's not during the upcoming Nintendo Direct...which means that it can be during anytime next week (3rd-9th June).

Edited by KrazyBean

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1q9q48Hgdw

Gonna bring the debut trailer back into discussion. If you watch it again, about 29 seconds in, you can hear a small laugh. Now I don't think it belongs to Sonic, but it could be from one of the Deadly Six (we've already seen a screenshot of Sonic in pursuit of one of them) or maybe Eggman. Anyone wanna give their two pennies?

Edited by Ringo ~

Sounds like Sonic just having fun blazing through the level, like in Unleashed when he'd scream all the time.

Of course, I wouldn't put much stock in the sound design behind the trailers when we've had some odd ones before...

Eggman dialogue in Colors and Generations is one of the huge highlights of the game for me. The writers does a great job writing his lines and seem to really have his personality down. To see that play out in more cutscenes between Sonic and Eggman will be pure genius. Personally it will be a huge let down for me if they're not behide this cause this has so much potential. 

Edited by sonfan1984

Nope

attractiverings.png

Japanese site has been updated!

banner.png

What does that banner say? Something's happening on Sonic's birthday, 23rd June.

This is what I could get out of it by using a image OCR.

Sonic

Birthday noodles bar one day 2013

Held in Tokyo Joypolis 23 June

"Here or pre-registered gold cherishing votes"

Should be alright by now.

Edited by kimplix

"Unlockable running animations" sounds like the stupidest thing ever, and I don't know how people could have construed what IGN said to meaning that you can unlock different animations.

Um, it's one thing to be wrong, but to flat out not see how that could be construed is just silly XD

And why would it be stupid? We see several different types of running animations. It could easily be mistaken that you unlock them, especially when you see 2-3 different types in one reveal trailer..

And just because they have tiered running animations doesn't mean they all look completely different. Why would his faster one (with white streaks going behind him, and pushing himself forward) be faster than the one with his legs being blurry, from Sonic CD? It's perfectly reasonable to come to that conclusion, whether it ends up being right or not.

Edited by chirf

Also, I hope in regards to those quickstep tracks, that the quickstep isn't actually in there and that control is generally a lot more solid to move without it. Most likely we'll not see many narrow corridors because the game is touted to have competitive multiplayer racing, so there's going to have to be leg room for two characters on the screen.

It's a shame that the co-op is not like Colours, it's more like Mario Galaxy...it would've been awesome to have co-op stages were one player plays on the TV and the other plays on the Gamepad. Since Tails and Knuckles aren't playable then it would've been Red Sonic and Sonic all over again.

Edited by KrazyBean

As far as the writers go, is it really that farfetched to believe that they were held on a leash with Colors and Generations and couldn't make them shine?

Remember, we are in the aftermath of all the backlash that was received from previous plots.

• Thumbs Up 3

But weren't we arguably in that aftermath when Generations was released? Not seeing much of a difference between then and now, considering Colors was a huge surprise to everyone.

Edited by Xenos

But weren't we arguably in that aftermath when Generations was released? Not seeing much of a difference between then and now, considering Colors was a huge surprise to everyone.

No, we were in that aftermath when ShTH was released almost a decade ago. That's the backlash I was talking about.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonîc

I don't think it's a problem with the writers, I think they're just told to be kid friendly, and end up having to have kid-like jokes.

I kinda got use to it... I'm just happy his voice is much better lol plus, sonic's sarcasm isn't all THAT bad in colors. The main thing i hated in colors was the language device glitch... like when tails would say "either they need help, or they want ice cream"

And you're like.... really?.... -___- really? is that even a question? lol

Personally I thought the script was cute as hell and definately a good break from the norm. If anything Generations felt reigned back compared to Colours.

• Thumbs Up 1

Um, it's one thing to be wrong, but to flat out not see how that could be construed is just silly XD

Nah, honestly, it's a pretty ridiculous concept for an unlockable, and it requires a pretty garbled reading of the IGN preview to think that's what they meant.

And why would it be stupid? We see several different types of running animations. It could easily be mistaken that you unlock them, especially when you see 2-3 different types in one reveal trailer..

Even without taking into account that the game has explicit run buttons, multiple running animations are nothing new to Sonic. Why would you jump to them being unlockable rather than being different animations for different speeds or situations?

And just because they have tiered running animations doesn't mean they all look completely different. Why would his faster one (with white streaks going behind him, and pushing himself forward) be faster than the one with his legs being blurry, from Sonic CD?

I'm pretty sure the peel-out animation is for when you're holding the run button, since we see it when he's doing the parkour moves in the trailer.

It's perfectly reasonable to come to that conclusion, whether it ends up being right or not.

It's not, and it won't be.
  • Thumbs Up 1