Awoo.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Solid SOAP

To be honest I originally wanted Wario etc to be in, but I realise now that if they added characters seen in Mario Party and such that the classic motif would be tainted, so they only chose characters that only appeared in the original games.

Well then you should understand why the level motifs are similar locations. If they went with a bunch of new looking areas it wouldn't invoke nostalgia. Which, you have to admit, is a BIG selling point for a game like this.

Update from Nintendo Power! Miyamoto has just revealed that all 7 Koopa Kids will return. But we still don't know if Bowser Jr. will join the ranks.

Update from Nintendo Power! Miyamoto has just revealed that all 7 Koopa Kids will return. But we still don't know if Bowser Jr. will join the ranks.

However much I dislike the look of the game, I am still pleased to hear that the Koopa kids are back.

Personally I wouldn't have cared less if Wario and Peach just has the bros' movesets, Peach did in NSMB2, and every character in that was the same but with minor differences, Luigi could jump higher, Peach could float (would hardly be a problem to program a short float) , etc, why couldn't they do that in this? It'd make multiplayer much more interesting...

OH YEAH, LAZYNESS.

I do agree with you that using the two Toads does seem lazy when they have other characters, and they only thing I can think of that justifies (at least a little) it is that all the characters are basically fancy pallet swaps (because it'd hardly be fair if Luigi is the only one who can jump high enough to reach a ledge, and everybody else has to lose a life cause their character can't) and it's less hassle to have Toads than explain why a characters been de-powered/sped up in whatever way.

Plus wouldn't it be akward having Peach save herself if she were a character? :blink:

I still think everyone will pounce on this game before it comes out but in the end it's going to be a great co-op title. I mean, everyone is reacting EXACTLY how the reaction was for Four Swords. Everyone was saying it was just a port of the Gameboy Advance Four Swords in the LttP duo, and everyone was whining about why there were four multicolor Link's and that that the game was a shellout and was Nintendo being lazy, etc.

But the thing is, Nintendo actually put a lot of EFFORT into the things that mattered most in Four Swords: Gameplay, interactivity, co-op. The game played seamlessly, and sure it looked like a slightly more polished up LttP like this one looks like a slightly polished New Super Mario Bros, and this won't stop whiners, but this game I bet will be an amazing experience all of it's own.

The point is I think you all are whining about things that have never been in Nintendo's motif. Complaining to have different characters, graphics (which look just fine to me, maybe not amazing, but they are not bad), and acting like this games selling point is rooted in anything BUT how it plays, which I'm sure is amazing. I bet the co-op will be one of the best multiplayer games of this year, and I bet all who don't just bash the game for things that in the end really don't matter will more than enjoy, it they'll love it. People will no matter what will use this game as some excuse as why the Wii sucks when in all honesty this most likely is going to be an 8 or 9 out of 10 game not just for reviewers or Mario fanboys, but for the gamer who will be able to enjoy this title to the fullest with three friends.

And once again, I point to Four Sword Adventures, because this title is to Mario as Four Sword Adventures is to Zelda. Never judge a book by it's cover as they say, and I can guarantee you that this game as Four Swords can't be guessed on how fun it is with a bunch of chums until you've experienced it.

Edited by Dusk Golem

Personally I wouldn't have cared less if Wario and Peach just has the bros' movesets, Peach did in NSMB2, and every character in that was the same but with minor differences, Luigi could jump higher, Peach could float (would hardly be a problem to program a short float) , etc, why couldn't they do that in this? It'd make multiplayer much more interesting...

OH YEAH, LAZYNESS.

It's not about how hard it is to program a little float. The characters NEED to have the EXACT same moveset. Don't you get it? It's a co-op game, but it's also designed to be a competitive one. How fair would it be if Peach could float over with ease to grab a few coin while Mario couldn't make it to them by jumping alone? Remember at the end of the level everyone is ranked on how they performed. It would be such bullshit for certain characters to have better abilities in a game like this. That's why they went with Toads. We don't have any preconceived thoughts on how a character such as Toad should play. While when we think Peach we think float.

I wouldn't care if they added Peach, Wario, etc. and just gave them Mario's moves. However if they did you can be sure there would be a whole new group of people in this topic bitching about that as well.

"Why can't I float as Peach?! It's her signature move!"

I'm gonna bring up SMB2 again. Each character had their own strengths and weaknesses, and if anything, that lends ITSELF to multiplayer, both CoOp and competetive.

If anything, Luigi with the highest jumps would be the best character?

Besides, I'd rather have non-floaty Peach than two absolutely pointless Toad recolours. I just can't get my head around why they'd put in two Toads as the main characters, and NEITHER of them the proper Toad? Nah I just can't get my head around half of the decisions Nintendo make these days...

So Nintendo put more effort into a non-Mario game than a Mario game itself =_= Besides, what about Super Paper Mario? Or Mario 64 DS?

Edited by SuperLink

So Nintendo put more effort into a non-Mario game than a Mario game itself =_= Besides, what about Super Paper Mario? Or Mario 64 DS?

The problem is that these are all single player games where the characters had different abilities. In Mario DS there was multiplayer but it was star collecting. If there were four characters with different abilities, people would fight over certain characters to be thanks to that and in turn the game also would be probably unbalanced just a tad.

they could but aren't. You know this game could of just stared four different colored toads? Weird? Yes. But in essence, if they had done ANYTHING at all, it would of displeased people in some way.

Besides, these days Peach is like 1/3 taller than Mario.

She used to be double his size (in the original SMB :P)

I'm sorry, I just refuse to believe that Nintendo would choose what has uncanny similarities to laziness on purpose instead of doing something that would make far more people more happy with it...

Or you know, multiple control modes? (Classic and "moveset"). Don't act like it would be hard to do. If the game was made by any other dev it'd seem like nothing for them to put in multiple modes, but Nintendo are forgiven for discrepancies like this >>

First and foremost this is a Mario game. Other then Mario 2 (which really didn't even start as a Mario game and was a dream anyway) when have we done anything other then rescue Peach? It was obvious she wouldn't be in from the start. That's not to she that she couldn't be an unlockable though. There's no sense in arguing about that because we won't know if there are any unlockables until after the game releases.

Also, are you actually trying to argue that the game would be fair/balanced if each character played like their SMB2 counterpart? Luigi and Peach would rule all. In a game like this the players all have to have equal abilities.

Nah, Toad's speed and strength made him awesome to play as too, I probably played as him the most.

Besides, this is "casuals" we're talking about, if the hardcores would be OK with just having more characters in the game, then would the casuals really play as the best character instead of just "who they liked"?

Really, if you asked most people, do you think anyone would rather have 2 Toads than Wario and Waluigi, whether or not they had specific movesets? I really don't think so...

If they didn't have unique moves, sure some people would be disappointed, but they'd probably be less disappointed than they are right now :S

So you are saying that you think it's a good idea for the game to be imbalanced as long as you get other characters? Sorry, I can't agree with that. I'd sooner rather have Mario draw the Four Sword then have multiple characters that cause imbalance.

Now having four different characters that all have the same exact abilities would be fine with me. As I said before though.....

......"First and foremost this is a Mario game. Other then Mario 2 (which really didn't even start as a Mario game and was a dream anyway) when have we done anything other then rescue Peach? It was obvious she wouldn't be in from the start. That's not to she that she couldn't be an unlockable though. There's no sense in arguing about that because we won't know if there are any unlockables until after the game releases."

Edited by speedfreak

I don't think there will be unlockables. Miyamoto isn't much of a gamer himself, he just makes them. He says things how they are, the cold hard facts.

If Peach was unlockable it would instantly redeem the entire game for me though >.< SMB2 reunion, and 4 different characters, I really couldn't complain.

You must really like Peach as a character, huh? I wish she was playable too, but I'm not gonna let her playable absence ruin for me a game that's sure to be a blast.

If you really want to be mad at someone be mad at Miyamoto, not Nintendo as a whole. I'm pretty sure he's the one that always wants the same tired "Rescue Peach from Bowser" plot. What Miyamoto wants he gets apparently. : / They could have easily come up with some other reason that Mario and the gang are out to stop Bowser. As I said thought it isn't too big of a deal for me. I'm happy enough with having to save Peach.............again.

Edited by speedfreak

Yeah I am mad at Miyamoto, partly for refusing to let the Mario series have any sense of depth...

I do like Peach a lot, but really I would have preferred Wario... I do think Peach is more likely, surely Miyamoto had considered an SMB2 style reunion?

Don't forget Miyamoto is now a general overseer of all first party Nintendo products these days. He just intervenes when he thinks bad decisions are being made. And in his defense, these interventions have usually lead to pretty great final products.

Except Wii Music and TP's lack of a deep story.

Seriously, you can't sell what Miyamoto himself calls a "toy" as a full priced Wii game!!

Seriously, you can't sell what Miyamoto himself calls a "toy" as a full priced Wii game!!

This I'll agree with. I really want Wii Music but it's so expensive for what it is.

I really don't see why this isn't WiiWare, really. On the XBLA and PSN, there are games that look better than most, if not ALL Wii games with better online play than pretty much every Wii game that are being sold for $15 or less (See my Battlefield 1943 topic), while games like NSMBWii, games that probably could be played on the DS with some slight graphical downgrades, if any, are being sold for over $50. I think that's ridiculous and, while I love Nintendo and NSMBWii is sure to be a fun romp, it's overpriced and just shouldn't be sold for over $30 in my eyes, especially when 360 and PS3 owners are getting better looking and more advanced games for cheaper.

This I'll agree with. I really want Wii Music but it's so expensive for what it is.

Also in agreement here! Wii Music is far too expensive, and the price should've been lowered by now. .-. It's already been out for more than a year, right?

Hmm, NSMB Wii is up for pre-order on Amazon.co.uk for 30 pounds. To be honest, that's not too bad actually. Atleast it's not as overpriced as Wii Music.

I really don't see why this isn't WiiWare, really. On the XBLA and PSN, there are games that look better than most, if not ALL Wii games with better online play than pretty much every Wii game that are being sold for $15 or less (See my Battlefield 1943 topic), while games like NSMBWii, games that probably could be played on the DS with some slight graphical downgrades, if any, are being sold for over $50. I think that's ridiculous and, while I love Nintendo and NSMBWii is sure to be a fun romp, it's overpriced and just shouldn't be sold for over $30 in my eyes, especially when 360 and PS3 owners are getting better looking and more advanced games for cheaper.

By this logic every single DS game is overpriced too. Since they look worse then NSMBW and come with a 30-40 dollar price tag.

Also NSMBW looks a fair deal better then the DS version. Check out the screen shots for each from a few pages ago. It would need more then "slight graphical downgrades" to work on DS. Besides, I honestly would rather play $50 for it on Wii as is then $35 for a downgraded DS version. The multiplayer aspect is MUCH better for Wii then it would be for DS. That little screen would look too crowded with 4 players. Also you would need 4 people with a DS and also 4 copies of the game. On Wii you just need your Wii, your controllers, and 1 copy of the game.