Awoo.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Solid SOAP

Because we all know how hard it is to look past a few effects on screen.

You'd be surprised. Maybe I'm just stupid or something, but I find it really difficult to play Smash Bros. Melee/Brawl without player names when things get hectic on a more complicated stage. I lose track of my character often in that circumstance.

Yoshi's Island DS had the same style as Yoshi's Island on the SNES and no-one complained about that. In fact I loved seeing the style get upgraded ever so slightly without becoming unfamiliar (loved Yoshi's running animation on DS).

I just don't see what's wrong with the graphical style of NSMB. It isn't just "DS graphics" because they are higher res now. If the DS game didn't exist no-one would have a problem with them because they look fine.

Mario games have never had lush detailed, varied graphics. They always take the approach of making the stages look like they're almost constructed out of building blocks (which of course they technically are). It makes each new gimmick and setup easy to interpret right away, keeping the game flowing.

I realise at this point you could cite the Wario and Yoshi platformers, but they've evolved into their own series with their own style.

This Mario game is presented just as every Mario game ever has been. Crisp, clear, and fun.

Frankly, I've never understood why so many people want to totally reinnovate a series that has reached such a near-perfect formula.

Dude, even if the DS game didn't exist, that wouldn't change the fact that it looks like a DS game, I fail to see what your point is there, no offence.

And I don't want them to re-invent the series, but it would be nice to know we weren't just getting a game that COULD with some tweaks be put on the DS, I don't care if it's Mario, it's still lazy and it looks like EXACTLY the same game. Super Mario Bros 1-3 all felt different even though they had the same gamplay, the same goes for Super Mario World. (they looked different as well, not that I'm saying that that point was more major, but it's more than I can say from NSMB DS to Wii.)

Dude, even if the DS game didn't exist, that wouldn't change the fact that it looks like a DS game, I fail to see what your point is there, no offence.

And I don't want them to re-invent the series, but it would be nice to know we weren't just getting a game that COULD with some tweaks be put on the DS, I don't care if it's Mario, it's still lazy and it looks like EXACTLY the same game. Super Mario Bros 1-3 all felt different even though they had the same gamplay, the same goes for Super Mario World. (they looked different as well, not that I'm saying that that point was more major, but it's more than I can say from NSMB DS to Wii.)

Second this. No matter how well you look it, it looks like a DS game on the Wii. We all know the Wii has better graphics than THIS for Gawdsakes.

It would be better if they just made a new fresh Mario platforming game or even a new 3D "Super Mario" game to be honest, instead of this.

But it doesn't matter anyway, this game will sell because it's Mario - no matter how ugly the game looks. Nintendo doesn't care.

But it doesn't matter anyway, this game will sell because it's Mario - no matter how ugly the game looks. Nintendo doesn't care.

Exactly.

Well, as big a Mario fan I am, I'm not buying it, or if I do I'm buying it second hand so I don't give Nintendo money for nothing as far as work and effort are concerned. Even then I refuse to pay more than £15 for it since (I hate to repeat myself here but it's a key point) it looks both graphically and gameplay wise like a DS Game.

Super Mario 64 and Sunshine were incredibly similar but still had alot of differences, so there's no excuse to be honest.

I'll be buying it but my anticipation is going "down".

- It sounds like it'll be pathetically easy with no hard mode

- Good chance of re-used music instead of new music

- No other characters.

Of course it's speculation, but if it matches those then I'm going to be very disappointed.

^ And yet the original Mario is so easy, but I see no one complaining.

The original Mario was easy? Not really... I thought it was pretty hard.

Also it's not very good anymore anyway >>

About the original 2D Mario is that, you need patience and you need to time your jumps right. That's all there is to it. (I think. DX) But it's still slightly hard.

Lost Levels only had tweaks to the graphics too, that's a main Mario game.

The way I see it, it's all down to style. This only looks like a DS game because it uses the same tilesets as the DS game. All of these graphics were made, and THEN reduced in resolution for the DS, whereas here they're using them as standard. I just don't get what the big deal is.

This is a new game. It has new levels, new items, new bosses, but made using high-res versions of the graphics from the last game, hence shorter development time. Was Majora's Mask Nintendo being lazy? Is Galaxy 2 Nintendo being lazy?*

I just don't get how you can criticise this for being a rehash or lazy when it's 100% new content, but reusing the most basic of the building blocks that make that content to get it out faster.

I guess I can't argue it that much. When it comes down to it, when I get the game I'll be having fun and when moaners do they'll be going "Oh my god this is EXACTLY like the DS game, how lazy, don't you agree player 2 in the penguin suit and player 3 in a helicopter hat as I make my way through this cave using a light-related puzzle that didn't appear anywhere in the DS game. D= D= D="

*I realise some people think the answer to this question is yes. Obviously I don't agree in the slightest.

Edited by JezMM

If the gameplay was the same but with new powerups and stages I wouldn't be complaining..

The problem is that the graphics are just higher quality graphics of the DS games! Add in the fact that music will probably be reused, yes, it is half-assed.

I mean, atleast it's no AC: City Folk, 'cos there are new levels, but I'm still not happy with the visuals of a home console game being mostly the same as the handheld's...

For what it's worth, I think Galaxy 2 is a perfectly worthy sequel. Being "more of the same" isn't what bugs me, it's that this game could play just as well on DS and lacks online gameplay.

Edited by SuperLink

I understand your point a lot better from that post, I see. I agree, this would work fine on DS too, though admittidly having all the characters on screen at once does keep the co-op tighter to me. Plus of course, I can play the game anytime on the Wii with my friends. With the DS, they'd all need a copy (presumebly, unless you want huge loading screens before each level) and a DS.

I'm obviously too easy to please apparently though. I thought Animal Crossing Wii was a fine sequel, or at least worthy of existing as a "Best of..." game in regards to it having all the best features of the GCN and DS ones.

Edited by JezMM

Nah, it's not really that either, I'm just annoyed that Nintendo aren't going the extra mile with the visuals. Anyone who's played Four Swords Adventures can see that the environments and special effects just look lovely, the sprites are high quality, the environments have lots of detail, etc, despite it being sort of like an LttP clone.

I'm afraid I can't say the same thing about this game though. While I could not imagine enjoying FSA on the GBA with that level of high quality, I could imagine NSMBWii playing on DS without a noticable quality drop... isn't that just a little depressing? I know it is for me... to know I could be playing something so much better quality but instead I'm playing a DS game on my TV.

Lost Levels only had tweaks to the graphics too, that's a main Mario game.

This is a new game. It has new levels, new items, new bosses, but made using high-res versions of the graphics from the last game, hence shorter development time. Was Majora's Mask Nintendo being lazy? Is Galaxy 2 Nintendo being lazy?*

But how original will the new levels be?! NSMB (DS) already has all the great themed levels there is. Desert, Castle, Green Plains...what else can they add?! The levels will be different - sure, but the level themes will be the same as the one we have on the DS version.

All of these graphics were made, and THEN reduced in resolution for the DS, whereas here they're using them as standard. I just don't get what the big deal is.

The big deal is, these graphics were originally going to be used for the DS, NOT for the Wii. They are too lazy to redesign a 2D Super Mario World theme like game optimized for the Wii. This game will look worse than playing a good game on a PS2.

Galaxy 2, is probably going to be the same. They just added Yoshi in to the mix. But I haven't seen much of Galaxy 2, so that's why I'm just going to keep quiet about this one.

This game maybe fun...if you don't own NSMB DS already. If you own NSMB DS you will hardly see anything new from this and you'll get bored of it.

This game maybe fun...if you don't own NSMB DS already. If you own NSMB DS you will hardly see anything new from this and you'll get bored of it.

That I disagree with, I don't doubt it'll be a fun sequel, I'm just disappointed with how half assed the aesthetical side of things is, the gameplay options and probably the music.

If it was on DS, or had online/more characters/better graphics, I would be more than happy with it

Edited by SuperLink

But SuperLink...it's kinda true you will not see almost anything new from it...apart from having 4 player, one or two new items and different levels (not themes)...but yeah if you disagree on the part when I said "you'll get bored of it" then I understand entirely...

EDIT: Yeah, if this was a DS sequel this game would be much better...but again it has to have online play...

Edited by Spicylicious

But SuperLink...it's kinda true you will not see almost anything new from it...apart from having 4 player, one or two new items and different levels (not themes)...

Didn't stop me from enjoying any other games in the history of sequels. I honestly have no problem with "sequels being the same but with new levels", as far as I'm concerned they've always been like that.

I know it will not stop you from enjoying new sequels with the same new levels...but I was trying to prove on that bit - that in this game you will not hardly see anything new from it comparing to the DS version apart from the few things I mentioned above. ^^;;

I know it will not stop you from enjoying new sequels with the same new levels...but I was trying to prove on that bit - that in this game you will not hardly see anything new from it comparing to the DS version apart from the few things I mentioned above. ^^;;

Yeah, and I'm fine with that. When it comes to sequels I don't really expect much more.

So if this was budget priced at say $30-$40 you would be okay with it SuperLink?

Anyway about the graphics.

DS

new-super-mario-bros-20060509020138339.jpg

Wii

e3-2009-new-super-mario-screens-20090602012015690_640w.jpg

I mean sure, the graphic style is very similar, but to say the Wii version doesn't look any better is silly IMO. The heat effects in the Wii version are done much better then the DS version. Plus we really haven't seen too much of the game yet. I'm sure there will be plenty of areas that out shine the DS version.

Personally I'm buying this game day one. I know it's going to be an absolute blast with a few friends over. I even think it will be great in single player.

Edit: I'm adding a couple more shots for comparison.

DS

new-super-mario-bros-20060313032428512_640w.jpg

Wii

e3-2009-new-super-mario-screens-20090602012014206_640w.jpg

DS

new-super-mario-bros-20060313032417590_640w.jpg

Wii

e3-2009-new-super-mario-screens-20090602012009206_640w.jpg

I honestly think the Wii version looks a fair deal better then the DS version.

Edited by speedfreak

The characters especially don't look very impressive.

I'd love if it was a budget title, but let's be realistic here, Wario Land clearly had more visual effort than this, and everyone wanted that to be budget too. I don't think it'll be budget.

I can't believe there are no extra characters though >.<

Well Miyamoto has lied about his games before. If there were secret characters he couldn't very well say yes now could he? Keep hope alive for Peach and Wario!

Well Miyamoto has lied about his games before. If there were secret characters he couldn't very well say yes now could he? Keep hope alive for Peach and Wario!

That's what I'm hoping for.... But couldn't he at least hint? I mean this is Miyamoto we're talking about, I always imagine him to be blunt and straight to the point.... which is what I think it may be this time.

If not Wario, then please Peach and Red Toad! Then it'd be like the new era's Super Mario Bros 2! ;)

But...as usual will Peach be kidnapped by Bowser? She cannot be playable if she's been kidnapped. >.<

I wouldn't count Peach out as a secret character though. If she were playable I'd imagine that you wouldn't get her until completing the game at least once. Don't forget Luigi saved himself in the second playthrough of Mario Galaxy after all. :lol:

However I really do have the feeling that Mario, Luigi, and the Toads will be the complete playable roster. I'd love to get a few unlockable characters but I'll still enjoy the game either way.

I see no reason for secret Peach to not be playable. She was originally intended as a secret character in Mario 64 DS afterall.