Awoo.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Solid SOAP

Super Paper Mario had much more of a distinct style running through it than this- that's the key thing here. Doesn't matter though, I still think that NSMBW is a pretty looking game. Not OMGWTF Mario Galaxy amazing, but I fail to see the problem with them. Level environments are perhaps too similar to the original on the DS, but big deal.

This is going to be even better than the DS version, I just know it. The DS version was good, but there was no multiplayer (except for the mini-games) and it was too easy. I love the looks of this game so far, I'm getting it as soon as possible once it's released.

This is going to be even better than the DS version, I just know it. The DS version was good, but there was no multiplayer (except for the mini-games) and it was too easy. I love the looks of this game so far, I'm getting it as soon as possible once it's released.

No multiplayer in the DS version besides mini-games? You sure? There was that 2P versus mode where you had to collect the most stars...

Yeah, the DS version did have a multiplayer mode with Mario and Luigi. I never got a chance to play it though. That's why I'm happy the sequel is on Wii instead of DS. I'm much more likely to play the multiplayer mode on Wii.

For those who haven't played it, I will say that NSMB DS's 2-player mode was one of the most addictive things ever. It was small and simple but good lord. Me and my friend Will would play it for hours between classes back at college. HOURS. Come to think of it, I'll be a little sad if NSMB Wii doesn't include a similar versus mode.

Edited by JezMM

• 2 months later...

Kotaku has an explanation on how "Super Guide" actually works.

Basically, you have to waste a load of lives, a continue, and more lives after THAT in order to unlock it for that level. And the designers, as some of us hoped, are actually using this feature to make the game itself harder. So, basically, the casuals are able to finish the damn game while the "harecorez" get their challenge. Everybody wins.

Also kinda sounds like the Easy Automatic from DMC, except the game doesn't mock you for it.

Edited by The Sniper

Though there isn't an incredible difference, some parts look quite different (changed backgrounds, a certain type of platform looks vastly different), while there are improved bits in more subtle ways. But, yeah, the new visuals are definately a lot better.

Still doesn't look as good as a $50 game should look, I'm afraid. I'm sure it'll be a bit of fun, and I'm not a "graphics whore" or anything, but there are much better looking, more innovative, and much more fun looking games coming out at the same time as NSMBWii and I'd rather spend my money on those than a glorified port of a DS game with minimumly improved graphics.

• Thumbs Up 2

glorified port of a DS game

The levels are entirely different.

Therefore it is not a port.

Edited by Dr. Mechano
  • Thumbs Up 2

The levels are entirely different.

Therefore it is not a port.

Remake, my bad.

Look, I love Nintendo, they're one of my favorite companies, but this game just looks so extremely.... lazy.

• Thumbs Up 2

Remake, my bad.

Look, I love Nintendo, they're one of my favorite companies, but this game just looks so extremely.... lazy.

Yes, it's a Mission Pack Sequel, but so is Sonic Rush Adventure (and the Advance games) and a lot of Mega Man games, and you might as well accuse Mario Galaxy 2 of the same thing. Yes, it's a remake of a DS game, but it's also the first 2D Mario game on a console in ages, has 4-player co-op, harder difficulty while accomodating the "casuals", and they've brought back the Koopa Kids.

In short, this sort of sequel isn't uncommon in the industry, but it's by no means a bad thing provided that it's actually FUN.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes, it's a Mission Pack Sequel, but so is Sonic Rush Adventure (and the Advance games) and a lot of Mega Man games, and you might as well accuse Mario Galaxy 2 of the same thing. Yes, it's a remake of a DS game, but it's also the first 2D Mario game on a console in ages, has 4-player co-op, harder difficulty while accomodating the "casuals", and they've brought back the Koopa Kids.

In short, this sort of sequel isn't uncommon in the industry, but it's by no means a bad thing provided that it's actually FUN.

I won't argue about Mega Man, but Sonic Rush Adventure added completely different sections the original didn't have (The whole boat riding sections for one), had NEW music (The music in this game, so far, are really shoddy remixes of the original game's already bad themesong), new level motifs (We're greated with the same level motifs as seen in the original NSMB in this), etc. The Advance games did the same as well, I believe.

Also, if this game happens to be fun, amazing, I'm playing a somewhat fun game that looks and sounds exactly like another game I've already played. Couldn't I just buy something better that's equally, if not more fun and original, than this game? Unless this is one of the best games coming out this year, I'm not waisting my money on it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow, new trailer does look pretty awesome. I can't believe people still consider this a slight upgrade. I'd much rather Mario look clean crisp and fun. It's exactly his style.

I still say the fact that this has new levels, new power-ups, new bosses, and the added bonus of 4-player makes it no different from any other 2D Mario sequel.

• Thumbs Up 1

I can't believe it's only a little over a month away. I'm pretty damn excited for this. My friends/family and I are going to have a blast with this one. I've read there are bonus missions where you go through levels to rescue other Toad characters and that the game will have a coin battle mode. Also it's been confirmed that the Koopa Kids, Bowser, and Bowser Jr. are all in the game. It'll be cool to see the whole family trying to take you down.

Edited by speedfreak

Plot: Bowser kidnaps Peach and Mario must save her.

*gasp* Shocker!

Making fun of Mario plots became old looooong ago, lol.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes, it's a Mission Pack Sequel, but so is Sonic Rush Adventure (and the Advance games) and a lot of Mega Man games, and you might as well accuse Mario Galaxy 2 of the same thing.

Its more of an (very thoroughly, mind you) Updated Rerelease than a Mission Pack Sequel. Even with that in mind (I'm a sucker for them) I still wouldn't play it, because I didn't like NSMB in the first place (multiplayer was pretty nice, though).

And Rush Adventure wasn't really a Mission Pack Sequel, and all of the Advance games played completely different from each other. MegaMan is a much better example.

Edited by Tornado

If you're playing with 4 people and one person loses all of their lives in a level are they done for good, or do they just start back in again at the start of the next level?

Its more of an (very thoroughly, mind you) Updated Rerelease than a Mission Pack Sequel. Even with that in mind (I'm a sucker for them) I still wouldn't play it, because I didn't like NSMB in the first place (multiplayer was pretty nice, though).

And Rush Adventure wasn't really a Mission Pack Sequel, and all of the Advance games played completely different from each other. MegaMan is a much better example.

You really consider an entire game's worth of new levels (with no sign of any DS levels returning) to be an "update"? Even I'm happy to call it a mission-pack sequel over that.

Edited by JezMM

You really consider an entire game's worth of new levels (with no sign of any DS levels returning) to be an "update"? Even I'm happy to call it a mission-pack sequel over that.

Note the "very thoroughly" bit. Though remake would probably be more apt regardless.

Note the "very thoroughly" bit. Though remake would probably be more apt regardless.

Except that it wouldn't be more apt because you don't know what you're talking about. Updated Rerelease refers to when a company like Square Enix pulls bullshit like Kingdom Hearts Final Mix and Final Fantasy X International. In other words, when they take an existing game that isn't very old and sell it again with only a few new features. A Remake is when a company like Nintendo takes games like Pokemon Red and Blue and turns them into games like Pokemon FireRed and LeafGreen. In other words, when they take an old game and update it to current standards. Mission Pack Sequel actually makes sense because it refers to when a company makes a new game in a series that has new levels and maybe some new features, but the gameplay is exactly the same as before.

• Thumbs Up 2

Except that it wouldn't be more apt because you don't know what you're talking about.

Why, thank you for casting an objective viewpoint over my subjective opinion by providing links to things that I no doubt have already read because they were already linked to in this thread. Saying the exact same thing as The Sniper already said certainly puts a fresh perspective that I hadn't thought of before, even though I responded to The Sniper to debate him over a couple of his points.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ok, I let myself get over-annoyed and said something rude and uncalled for. Sorry. But I honestly just don't understand where you're coming from. We're talking about a new game that, as far as I'm aware, is 100% new content. I really don't see how you can justify calling that a remake. It's like saying Sonic 2 is a remake of Sonic 1.

EDIT: Wait, no, I think I just got it. It didn't hit me until just now. You're saying, "In my opinion, this is a remake." But the thing is, "remake" has no business being in anyone's opinion. It's a very objective term meant for a specific circumstance. No one should be able to just say, "Oh, this is a remake to me." Either it is or it isn't, and we'd all know whether or not it is.

And I'm sure at this point I'm seeming rude again, but I'm not trying to be. I'm just trying to figure it out.

Edited by G-Force
  • Thumbs Up 3