Awoo.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Solid SOAP

By this logic every single DS game is overpriced too. Since they look worse then NSMBW and come with a 30-40 dollar price tag.

Somewhat disagree, why since the ds is portable and smaller than wii, you can carry it around unlike the wii etc.

But I think that ds games should seriously cost 40$, since the DS is weak and they should have made an DS2 instead of DSI...

That's all(and then the games would have been worth 50$)

I really don't see why this isn't WiiWare, really.
Space limit. And making it a disc based game would obviously allow for it to be played by more people.

So yeah, space issues and money. Mostly money.

I really don't see why this isn't WiiWare, really. On the XBLA and PSN, there are games that look better than most, if not ALL Wii games with better online play than pretty much every Wii game that are being sold for $15 or less (See my Battlefield 1943 topic), while games like NSMBWii, games that probably could be played on the DS with some slight graphical downgrades, if any, are being sold for over $50. I think that's ridiculous and, while I love Nintendo and NSMBWii is sure to be a fun romp, it's overpriced and just shouldn't be sold for over $30 in my eyes, especially when 360 and PS3 owners are getting better looking and more advanced games for cheaper.

^This.

It probably is a really good game, but for what it is and what the Wii can do, as well as the prices of similar quality games on XBLA and PSN it's a bloody rip off.

And people will buy it too, which is why they're doing it.

First of all it's Mario Bros., it's 100% guaranteed to sell. Even if the games you find on the PSN or Xbox Live equal NSMBW in quality they DO NOT equal it in popularity. If they could get away with selling those games at a higher price they would. However those games don't have the following of Mario, so they can't. All I know is if I'm selling something then I will try to get as much as I can for it. If any of you say you wouldn't, you are lying.

Thankfully I don't feel like I'm being ripped off by this game any way. I'll gladly slap $50 down for this puppy day one.

First of all it's Mario Bros., it's 100% guaranteed to sell. Even if the games you find on the PSN or Xbox Live equal NSMBW in quality they DO NOT equal it in popularity. If they could get away with selling those games at a higher price they would. However those games don't have the following of Mario, so they can't. All I know is if I'm selling something then I will try to get as much as I can for it. If any of you say you wouldn't, you are lying.

Thankfully I don't feel like I'm being ripped off by this game any way. I'll gladly slap $50 down for this puppy day one.

So because Mario has a huge following that makes it okay to half ass a game and release it at full price?

That logic is the very reason Nintendo get away with doing this -_-

The sad thing is, most of the people complaining about the game's shortcomings now will still probably either buy it at launch or soon after (I'll probably end up giving in myself...)

Nintendo would far rather listen to sales and money than to fan criticism. They really don't care. I wish they would just listen sometimes >.<

Because there are some developers (like Bungie, Lionhead, Bioware) that actually care about fan and media criticism, not just sales.

The Nintendo I once knew would always go the extra mile to make their fans happy, not just churn out shit because it sells and not care what anyone thinks.

Finally localising games like Fire Emblem and Advance Wars, but you're right I can't think of many.

On the other hand, listening to fans and going the extra mile are slightly different things. While I may not expect Nintendo to always listen to criticism, they should, and they should still be going the extra mile.

This is how I personally see it: This is a -FULL- game. It is a real game. It's not some knock-off or mini-game or party game or shovelware or spin-off of the DS version. This is THE next entry in the Super Mario Bros. series. Call it "Super Mario Bros. 6" if you will, because that's what it is.

And that's why I'm going to be happy to pay every penny of full price for this game if that's what it costs.

It has new levels and new powerups. What more do you want? That's all that's seperated the previous games in the series.

Edited by JezMM

And I see it in the same way, but as a sequel to such a respected series its shortcomings are hard to ignore... Especially when the old Nintendo made Mario games like Super Mario World, with tons of secrets, easter eggs, solid challenge, and a pretty huge game for back then.

That's true, I forgot to reply to the "going the extra mile" thing... it's a fair criticism, I can't argue against it. I guess I'm too loyal a fan or I'm just "used to" the Nintendo treatment.

Having said all this, we've seen no screenshots of the map yet at all (I think...). Whose to say there won't be more secrets than NSMB?

Well how many secrets the game has is what will save it for me.

Oh, and a new soundtrack. Seriously if we just get the DS music I'll rage so hard >> Reusing music (especially music that wasn't even that great... like with AC:CF) is the #1 sign of lazy development.

PS. "Going the extra mile" is such a cliché phrase I know, but when I put it like that people know what I mean right? It'd be nice if there was some kind of industry term for it :P

I don't mind the re-used music because they HAVE remixed it by the sound of things at least. X3

..Uh.. forgive the short post but that's all I got.

So because Mario has a huge following that makes it okay to half ass a game and release it at full price?

That logic is the very reason Nintendo get away with doing this -_-

:lol: Half assed?! I see it as nothing of the sort. It's a 2.5D (what a stupid term) Mario platformer with the added bonus of 4 player co-op. Sure something like online play would have been cool, but not having online didn't ruin Mario 1 - Mario World for me and it surely won't matter much here.

And I see it in the same way, but as a sequel to such a respected series its shortcomings are hard to ignore... Especially when the old Nintendo made Mario games like Super Mario World, with tons of secrets, easter eggs, solid challenge, and a pretty huge game for back then.

What shortcomings? Lack of online. The rest is standard Mario sequel. All of them just had new powerups and level designs. It didn't start getting different until the 3D Mario releases.

Compared to other Mario side-scrollers, this game is nothing but improvements. But compared to pretty much every other game on the market, especially on the 360 and PS3, this is extremely below standard of a $50 retail game. There is no doubt in my mind that this will be a fun game, let alone the first side scrolling Mario console game in YEARS, but the fact of the matter is that Microsoft and Sony are selling games far more advanced in both graphical capabilities and gameplay (Online play).

Let's be honest here, a Mario Sidescroller is a lot more fun than most of those. Granted, some are amazing like Turtles in Time Remake, Street Fighter II HD Remix, and Braid(which ISN'T online and is 20 dollars).

Shortcomings?

- Probable lack of new music (like I said before, reused music is the #1 sign of lazy development)

- Two of the 4 playable characters are multiplayer recolours, you know, the kind of characters you put in totally tacked on multiplayer that suck ass? (basically half-ass)

- Just doesn't seem like it'll be as big or hard as Mario World or Mario Bros 3, especially considering how short, easy and tiny NSMB was. Then again I may be wrong on this one.

Doesn't sound substantial enough to me.

EDIT: Lol, Braid is an entirely single player game that still manages to have leaderboards.

Edited by SuperLink

There are too many things you're assuming SuperLink.

I could just as easily assume the music will be great, and the game will be harder and better then Mario 3 or World.

We can only judge it on things we know.

What we know:

+ New 2.5D Mario game

+ First console "classic style" Mario in YEARS

+ Four player co-op

+ 80+ NEW levels

+ New power ups

+ Koopa Kids returning

- No online

- Game starts with only Mario, Luigi, Blue Toad, and Yellow Toad playable

It actually sounds pretty awesome to me, since the pros out way the cons.

If ANYONE says all the music sucks in NSMBDS, World 7 Map & Bowsers Castle Theme is AMAZING! Besides, The Music sounds BETTER, You can hear some music clips in some videos.

Shortcomings?

- Probable lack of new music (like I said before, reused music is the #1 sign of lazy development)

- Two of the 4 playable characters are multiplayer recolours, you know, the kind of characters you put in totally tacked on multiplayer that suck ass? (basically half-ass)

- Just doesn't seem like it'll be as big or hard as Mario World or Mario Bros 3, especially considering how short, easy and tiny NSMB was. Then again I may be wrong on this one.

Doesn't sound substantial enough to me.

EDIT: Lol, Braid is an entirely single player game that still manages to have leaderboards.

I fail to see how recolors makes the multiplayer automatically terrible. As for the rest of your complaints, none of this is known yet. If you're going to have gripes, at least have them founded in fact.

P.S. A remix is not a reuse. The NSMB Wii theme is clearly a remix of the original's.

Edited by Hero Of Fate

+ First console "classic style" Mario in YEARS

What does that even mean if it's not using the console's potential? It's only on Wii for the multiplayer action to be on one screen.

+ 80+ NEW levels

Yeah, but even NSMB had about that amount, and that game was tiny and easy.

It actually sounds pretty awesome to me, since the pros out way the cons.

I'll add a few more cons.

- Full price for what could be released on another console but better and cheaper

- Remixed music (we know it'll use the NSMB main theme from the trailer...)

- Nintendo clearly aren't putting their all into what should be such an important release.

EDIT: I guess I just hate the NSMB theme, and look at what happened last time we heard "remixed" music at an E3 demonstration.... Animal Crossing Wii.

Not a SINGLE new track. Yes, some of the ACWW tracks were great, but when a NEW game uses NO new music, that's just pathetic, and I can't see how anyone could see it any other way to be honest.

Besides, it's only a remix if you can call "playing the original in a slightly different way" a remix... I can't, I call it the same song using different technology.

Edited by SuperLink

1st one is acceptable.

2nd one is your opinion, a lot of people love remixed music.

3rd one is yet again another thing we don't know as fact yet.