Awoo.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Solid SOAP

Honestly, this game just takes laziness to a whole new level. It could be fun, and I'll bet it probably is, but that doesn't excuse the fact that they're selling an HD DS game using recolored characters and reused music from the previous game.

Honestly, this game just takes laziness to a whole new level. It could be fun, and I'll bet it probably is, but that doesn't excuse the fact that they're selling an HD DS game using recolored characters and reused music from the previous game.

Don't forget City Folk/Let's go to the City though >_>;

Compared to that, this is a masterpiece of a new game!

To be honest, this probably will be well above average in the fun factor. The problem is relying just on making a purely fun experience, with no love put into the graphics, art style, music, online play, etc will leave you with a simply average experience. I'll bet this game won't be getting below the 8s or 7s in reviews, but, despite never playing it, if it manages to be released looking as generic as it does, I don't think I'll be able to give it more than a 6. It truely is a $50 DS game, albeit a fun one.

The music will make the difference between a 6 and a 7 or a 7 and an 8 to me. If all the music is reused then it's just pathetic.... that's the same lazy Nintendo that made Animal Crossing Wii, using a classic tune now and then is fine, but a completely old soundtrack? There's no excuse for that level of lazyness, there never will be.

Oh, unless they outwardly admit it's a "remake" noone wanted.

I know this game is meant to be nothing more than a quick buck to get out at Christmas and to boost Wii sales, but with a couple of extra months development time, perhaps a year, they could be spending all that time giving the game an art style of it's own, giving it decent online components, updating the music and/or creating completely new tunes specifically designed for this game, creating more levels, etc. I wouldn't mind waiting another year for a game that would be that much better. It would be, like, the ultimate 2D platformer if done correctly.

To be honest I'm really looking forward to hearing new arrangements of the DS themes. I thought NSMB had an awesome soundtrack. Same with the graphics, it'll be cool to see it all high-res. The new fireball animation in particular looks gorgeous.

Also that boss battle footage makes me happy. It took a little while and that was just the first boss. This makes me hopeful for the difficulty (or at least length) of later bosses in the game.

To be honest, I never played NSMB:DS. I am that poor. I get lucky if I can ever buy a game, which is about 1 game every 4 or 5 months. This game will be on my Christmas list since that is really the only time I get games. The only reason I have a lot of games on my 360 is because I rent a lot. Which is 7 days for $2.46. Sometimes I will break that 4 or 5 month rule if a game I want is $20 or less. Which means platinum hit or it is on sale/clearance. But that is getting off topic. All I am saying is I never played NSMB:DS so this will be completely new to me. I only played a little bit from my cousin's NSMB:DS.

I think a lot of you complaining about this looking like the DS game need to realize that it wasn't done purely out of laziness, it was also done to repeat the success of the DS version as closely as possible.

To be honest I'm completely fine with the look of the game. Could it look better? Well sure it could. However IMO it's far from being an unappealing to look at game. Also I'm pretty sure when I have a few friends over that this game could end up being one of the funnest games I've ever played. Take Zelda Four Swords Adventures for example. That was a GCN game that basically looked like an SNES game. Even so it ended up being a completely awesome game that was easily worth the price tag IMO.

Four Sword was the kind of high definition 2D I love though. Some of the environments looked hand drawn.

I was REALLY hoping that this game would have hand drawn stuff....

I think the Wii version's high-res DS graphics will work to it's advantage though. Hand-drawn detailedness is lovely, but with four characters shooting fireballs at enemies running all over the place, a complicated, lush design would just get in the way of the fun and cause confusion.

I think the simple repetitive DS graphics will suit much better in terms of gameplay.

Plus, I'm sure they'll give us one or two new worlds to enjoy. At least I'd hope so. I'll be dissapointed if we get the exact same Grass/Desert/Ocean/Jungle/Snow/Mountain/Sky/Dark genres as in the DS game, even if they're in a different order this time.

When I saw this game in E3 live, it just looks disappointing. It justs look like I'm playing a game on the DS on the Wii. Come on Nintendo, you could have made the graphics better.

Anyway, I hope there is a single-player mode for this and online play...but I'm not even sure I'm getting this game. I'm looking at Galaxy 2 though and see how it will turn out....

The 3rd player and 4th player gets to be colored Toads as well...why can't it be Peach, Daisy, Donkey Kong, Wario or just a different character? Gawd...

Anyway, I hope there is a single-player mode for this and online play...

It's already been confirmed that there's just one game, and you can play it either on your own or with friends. At least I believe that's how it works.

And unfortunately, it has already also been confirmed that there won't be online play.

It's also been confirmed that the ONLY playable characters are Mario, Luigi, Blue Toad, and Yellow Toad.

It's also been confirmed that the ONLY playable characters are Mario, Luigi, Blue Toad, and Yellow Toad.

...... Seriously? You're kidding right? Please tell me you're kidding >.<

Do you have a source for that? I refuse to believe that a game BASED on multiplayer has to use "multiplayer recolours" rather than Wario, Peach, Daisy, Donkey Kong or anyone!!

Edited by SuperLink

I think a lot of you complaining about this looking like the DS game need to realize that it wasn't done purely out of laziness, it was also done to repeat the success of the DS version as closely as possible.

I'm sorry, but that's a load of utter nonsense as far as I'm concerned. If it's got Mario in the title it will sell no matter what, hence why they've been so lazy with this one.

I love Mario and his series, but it has to be said.

Trying to replicate the success of the DS version rather than going the extra mile and making the Wii version look great isn't something the "old Nintendo" would do... So I think it's quite sad really.

Trying to replicate the success of the DS version rather than going the extra mile and making the Wii version look great isn't something the "old Nintendo" would do... So I think it's quite sad really.

Exactly.

I mean I love Nintendo, I love Mario and I quite like some of the Zelda games, but it has to be said that Nintendo do like to do alot of copy/paste work. This is especially frustrating since they're probably among the richest companies in the world and so many companies with great and innovative ideas would kill to have the position they do, and all they do with it is keep remaking the same games. As fun as they may be, it is true.

Remember when some at Nintendo said they wish they had come up with LittleBigPlanet? The only problem with that is that Nintendo are far too traditional to allow that much in-depth user generated content and online freedom... It's kinda hypocritical really, Nintendo couldn't make a game like that if they tried (mainly because they just don't want to) and it's going to hurt them in a long run unless they really start to evolve their games in a way gamers want.

The motion controls are nifty, the touch screen is genius, but Nintendo are seriously lacking on the OTHER evolutions affecting gaming in a big way. NSMB Wii could have seriously benefitted from online gameplay and user generated content, but I'm starting to doubt we'll ever get "that" Mario game.

[/minirant]

I just want to again bring up my ignored post of flashy graphics making things get too confusing during hectic moments on screen, and the clean simple DS style being the best choice for not alienating new gamers who will find it hard enough to tell what's going on without rustling trees, rain effects and bloom lighting getting in their way.

I just want to again bring up my ignored post of flashy graphics making things get too confusing during hectic moments on screen, and the clean simple DS style being the best choice for not alienating new gamers who will find it hard enough to tell what's going on without rustling trees, rain effects and bloom lighting getting in their way.

Because we all know how hard it is to look past a few effects on screen.

If that really WAS the case (which I don't think it is) then release it on the DS, simple as that. As a Wii game it looks cheap.

Eh, I disagree, Mario Bros Wii has to be one of the worst looking 2.5D console games I've ever seen. I'm sure there are plenty of styles better than this that even "casuals" can enjoy.

Edited by SuperLink

...... Seriously? You're kidding right? Please tell me you're kidding >.<

Do you have a source for that? I refuse to believe that a game BASED on multiplayer has to use "multiplayer recolours" rather than Wario, Peach, Daisy, Donkey Kong or anyone!!

Sorry, not kidding. :(

http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=87864

"- When Miyamoto is asked about the playable characters in NSMB Wii, he says that the characters we've seen so far are the only ones that are playable. Those hoping for a Super Mario Bros. 2 reunion will have to hope that Miyamoto is hiding a secret! Miyamoto also reconfirms that the team is 'still working' on putting the Koopa Kids into the game."

...Jesus. That sucks, really it does. How the hell can two characters in a multiplayer game be two random obscure Toads? Talk about lazyness.... >.<

And that's not the only bad snippet of information Miyamoto has for us:

how different will Zelda Wii be when compared to other Zelda titles?

“I don’t think it’s going to be that radically different.”

... *facepalm* We're still going to be playing the same type of Zelda games in another 20 years aren't we? <_<

Edited by SuperLink

That Zelda thing is actually good news to me. I honestly LOVED TP and don't want some huge departure for the series. I'm sure the addition of M+ will be a big enough change anyway.

It does suck about Mario though. I wanted to play as Peach. = (

Eh, I disagree, Mario Bros Wii has to be one of the worst looking 2.5D console games I've ever seen. I'm sure there are plenty of styles better than this that even "casuals" can enjoy.

I second that. If this was a DS game, then this will rock more obviously. But this cheap looking game that will cost $49.99 on the Wii? Sorry, I just don't think it's worth that kind of money. As much I love the Mario series, this is the most disappointing one I've seen in a long while from Nintendo. Another quick way for them to get money it seems. I hope this game will not become overrated by critics because it's "Mario".

Zelda...well I only loved the Zelda games were you get to be Toon Link...if this coming Zelda game turns out to be very good, then I will get it. I'm skipping Twilight Princess...