Awoo.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Solid SOAP

I guess that would explain the white door that was next to Wario's. It seemed like they just threw that Power Star in there at the last minute.

I see no reason for secret Peach to not be playable. She was originally intended as a secret character in Mario 64 DS afterall.

Yeah but they changed their mind, due to the act that Peach has been koopnapped. Same with this game.

Edited by Spicylicious Girl

Loved that screenshot comparison speedfreak. I should have done one myself earlier. I was defending the graphics as if they really were just hi-res versions, now I've actually compared them directly, they are totally new texture designs, just in the same style as the DS game.

And besides, what Mario game HASN'T had Grass, ice, water, fire, desert etc levels?

Well I can see some improvements in areas, but it still looks like I'm playing a DS game on the Wii.

And besides, what Mario game HASN'T had Grass, ice, water, fire, desert etc levels?

No no. You misread what I wrote. This a direct sequel right? And this Wii game looks very similar to a NSMB game I play on the DS.

The level themes will be the same, but they have redesigned the levels suitable for co-op play and maybe one or two items.

NSMB (DS) already has all the level themes the Wii version is going to get. It's like having DLC, adding extra levels to each desert, grass etc levels on the DS. Why can't we have a beach like theme or a town like theme? Adding something NEW for once? Especially when it's a sequel.

It's gonna feel like I'm playing the same game I got from the DS, but 4 player mode is there this time.

Yeah but they changed their mind, due to the act that Peach has been koopnapped. Same with this game.

Well Nintendo are stupid then.

I mean, there are some things they can be forgiven for, but after putting Luigi in Galaxy and making him save himself, thios is unforgivably stupid reasoning T-T

I'm sorry, but the arguments in defence of the graphics of this game are really grasping at straws in my opinion.

Yes it DOES look better resolution wise and SOME effects do, but really, look at most Wii games even a fair few of the shovel ware ones and compare the graphics. They're on the same level as the shovel ware titles if not WORSE than some of them.

I know that graphics alone don't make a game, but they are one of the signs of effort that goes into it, and unfortunatley it does not say alot for this game. (same with the gameplay really for reasons I've stated before)

Edited by Leon K Fox

Well I can see some improvements in areas, but it still looks like I'm playing a DS game on the Wii.

No no. You misread what I wrote. This a direct sequel right? And this Wii game looks very similar to a NSMB game I play on the DS.

The level themes will be the same, but they have redesigned the levels suitable for co-op play and maybe one or two items.

NSMB (DS) already has all the level themes the Wii version is going to get. It's like having DLC, adding extra levels to each desert, grass etc levels on the DS. Why can't we have a beach like theme or a town like theme? Adding something NEW for once? Especially when it's a sequel.

It's gonna feel like I'm playing the same game I got from the DS, but 4 player mode is there this time.

Well, I understand, that just simply doesn't bother me personally then. All I can say is that hopefully they will give us a few new level themes. Well, unless we already have 8 screenshots showing each DS world's tileset. D=

I'm sorry, but the arguments in defence of the graphics of this game are really grasping at straws in my opinion.

Yes it DOES look better resolution wise and SOME effects do, but really, look at most Wii games even a fair few of the shovel ware ones and compare the graphics. They're on the same level as the shovel ware titles if not WORSE than some of them.

I know that graphics alone don't make a game, but they are one of the signs of effort that goes into it, and unfortunatley it does not say alot for this game. (same with the gameplay really for reasons I've stated before)

Well, there's not much more I can say, since frankly now I've looked at the screenies again, I think it looks gorgeous, especially that castle level with the cogs. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that.

I just don't get how one can say that this game looks gorgeous or even good and then say the shovel ware titles look horrible, since they're pretty much the same in terms of quality.

No offence intended, but yeah.

I think it looks pretty nice. It just has a simplistic art style. I wouldn't say it looks amazing but I also wouldn't say it looks anywhere near shovel ware titles. As JezMM said the lava/castle level looks really nice.

Here are two screenshots, one from "Imagine Party Babyz" (that name alone should indicate what section of the market the game falls under, that being shovelware) and the other one of the screenshots from NSMB Wii that speedfreak posted earlier.

e3-2009-new-super-mario-screens-20090602012015690_640w.jpg

imagine-party-babyz-20080715060037450_640w.jpg

(most of the Wii's shovelware titles look like this graphically, so I'll just this one example to save time for both me and you guys.)

Other than Mario's being a bit more crisp (for want of a better term) I do not see much of a difference between these two screenshots, I really don't.

I'm not trying to shove my opinions down anyone's throat by posting these screenshots, this was just so I could do my own comparison.

And this is what a REAL console platformer should look like:

Edited by SuperLink

And this is what a REAL console platformer should look like:

That game doesn't look very advanced graphically, but it certainly seems to make up for it with the art style from what I saw in that video you linked. Unfortunatley I cannot say the same for NSMB Wii :/

(off topic, but you've actually made me want to give that Wario Land game a try XD)

For what it's worth, Wario Land is one of the only 2D Platformers where the characters look like a fully animated cartoon when in gameplay. It's not HD though so I'd say games like Wario Land and Muramasa are the best the Wii has to offer.

The graphics seem fine to me, seriously does every game need loads of brown and bloom to look good?

The graphics seem fine to me, seriously does every game need loads of brown and bloom to look good?

Apparantly yes. No, I know Nintendo are "better than that" (except with TP =_=) but like we've said in the thread, Muramasa, Paper Mario, Wario Land, all very colourful games, look FAR better than this EVER will.

No, but it wouldn't kill to put actually effort into the graphics. There are games sold for $10 or less on the Xbox Live Arcade with better online components and graphics than this game will ever have. So pretty much what Microsoft sell for $10 with superior visuals and gameplay (ie; Online play), Nintendo sell for $50 with worse, well, everything else.

• Thumbs Up 1

No, but it wouldn't kill to put actually effort into the graphics. There are games sold for $10 or less on the Xbox Live Arcade with better online components and graphics than this game will ever have. So pretty much what Microsoft sell for $10 with superior visuals and gameplay (ie; Online play), Nintendo sell for $50 with worse, well, everything else.

^This.

Seriously, that's exactly the point I've been trying to get across.

I think the game looks fine. It didn't seem to bother anyone on the E3 show floor because every impression I've read for the game has been completely positive. In the end if the graphics bother you that much you don't have to buy the game.

Also I think it looks a lot better then that Imagine game. = /

I think the game looks fine. It didn't seem to bother anyone on the E3 show floor because every impression I've read for the game has been completely positive. In the end if the graphics bother you that much you don't have to buy the game.

Dude, how many people were at E3? With the size of the gaming community taken into account, not alot to be honest.

What does that matter? All I was saying is that the people who have actually played the game said it was a lot of fun. I don't recall reading a single complaint about the graphics either.

Also if you were trying to imply the gaming community at large are going to shun this game because of the graphics you're crazy. This game is going to sell millions of copies. But I don't think it's something to argue about really. You don't like how it looks, I think it looks fine. If the graphics bother people that much then they won't buy it. I honestly don't think it's going to bother too many people though because as I said I can see this game selling millions easily,

Edited by speedfreak

Also if you were trying to imply the gaming community at large are going to shun this game because of the graphics you're crazy. This game is going to sell millions of copies. But I don't think it's something to argue about really. You don't like how it looks, I think it looks fine. If the graphics bother people that much then they won't buy it. I honestly don't think it's going to bother too many people though because as I said I can see this game selling millions easily,

I never implied that, but you are right, and it's unfortunate that you are because Nintendo can get away with being as lazy as they are with this one, most developers (besides sports game developers) would get roasted for it. It's bullshit :/

I've actually lost a fair bit of respect for Nintendo since they announced this game. They've done copy paste jobs before, but never to this extent. (not counting the Japanese SMB2)

In all fairness Leon, Animal Crossing was far more of a farce than this. As I've said before, compared to Animal Crossing I'm quite looking forward to this.

But yes, the XBLA analogy was good. If NSMBWii was on XBOX Live Arcade it would cost no more than £12, but still have online, dlc and far better visuals =_=

But yes, the XBLA analogy was good. If NSMBWii was on XBOX Live Arcade it would cost no more than £12, but still have online, dlc and far better visuals =_=

Again, my sentiments exactly. :/

This hypothetical XBLA version might even have a stage builder to steal some of Little Big Planet's crowd.

Edited by Phos

Its a Wii game for gods sake, when have screenshots ever really done Wii games justice? It'll probably look alot better in motion. Also, this game is far beyond XBLA standards, for starters its the first 2D home console Mario game in... a long time. Its a whole new Mario game despite the similarities in graphics and also its the first proper multiplayer Mario game. Yeah theres no online multiplayer (where you REALLY expecting there to be?) and the graphics look alot like NSMB but still, I don't really see where all this hate is coming from.