Awoo.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Solid SOAP

Guys, please!

Some of you are pleased with the graphics, some of you aren't. We all get that now. Can't we discuss something else now?

EDIT: Lotsa people posted as I typed. The first paragraph of this was response at Jake's last post.

There's nowt wrong with wanting better graphics, I've just been saying the reasons why I don't understand how people can think this NSMBWii's are so unsatisfactory.

Though it annoys me more when people say they're reusing tons of stuff from the DS one, when we've already seen two new suits and plenty of new level specific gimmicks not present on the DS (cogs, lightplay in caves, those slanty moving blocks in that one sky level etc). The only reused stuff I've seen are enemies and items that have been present for years in the series. It's not like they're gonna totally reprogram and retool their look for the Wii.

Maybe I'm fickle, but I'd rather have this game this year and how it is now, than next year with tons of flashy, stylised graphics like Wario Land or Braid or Yoshi's Island that simply wouldn't suit the style the Mario series has developed.

It's annoying because people would have thought this was a gorgeous almost-HD reimagining of the Mario world if it had been the first 2D Mario since Mario Land 2, and NSMB DS hadn't existed. To me, that's the same kind of logic that makes some people say "old games have crap graphics because they're old and now new things are better", even though those graphics haven't changed at all since a time when they weren't crap.

Edited by JezMM

From what I understand, the arguement is not against the graphics themselves, but rather the fact that they seem to be CopyPasta from the DS game, which would suggest laziness on Nintendo's part.

No one gives a toss about how it looks, people are complaining because the game looks like a rehash and therefor could potentially play like one.

I never played the original in any real depth nor have I seen any extended footage from this one, so I'm in no position to criticize, it is however a little frustrating to see two people dismissed as Graphics whores repeatedly by people missing their point entirely.

Edited by FeathersMcGraw

Some of you are pleased with the graphics, some of you aren't. We all get that now. Can't we discuss something else now?

Honestly? I wouldn't be so bothered about the graphics if the other parts of the game (music and options like characters 'n' online) were up to scratch.

I'll say this again...

If this was on XBOX Live Arcade the CoOp would be online, it would have leaderboards, it would have better graphics, and it would be less than a third of the price.

Oh, and achievements.

How can I not feel a little ripped off?

From what I understand, the arguement is not against the graphics themselves, but rather the fact that they seem to be CopyPasta from the DS game, which would suggest laziness on Nintendo's part.

That's just the thing though, they're not copy/pasted. They're just similar in style, the direct comparison a page or two ago proved this. I have nothing against people disliking the graphics, but it's just frustrating when they're saying things that are untrue. D=

Honestly? I wouldn't be so bothered about the graphics if the other parts of the game (music and options like characters 'n' online) were up to scratch.

I'll say this again...

If this was on XBOX Live Arcade the CoOp would be online, it would have leaderboards, it would have better graphics, and it would be less than a third of the price.

Oh, and achievements.

How can I not feel a little ripped off?

Yes, Link. That's what you've said a good thousand times already. We needn't hear it anymore. It's getting nobody anywhere.

Yes, Link. That's what you've said a good thousand times already. We needn't hear it anymore. It's getting nobody anywhere.

I was just reiterating because some people seemed to have the wrong idea about where I was coming from, I don't have a particular problem with the graphics, it's just one of the things I'm not particularly ecstatic about..

Surely anyone can see why people are disappointed? And I mean unlike Galaxy 2 (which I still can't see why anyone would be disappointed with, unless it has no new music).

It looks good, but there doesn't seem to be much difference from the original DS version. Nothing unique or engaging. Except maybe the fact that the Koopalings are returning!

Anyway, I'm definitely more excited about SMG2. ;D I will probably only give this one a rent or something.

I don't recall the Penguin Suit or the Propeller Suit being in the DS version, either.

Do 2 new powerups really justify it though?

Sorry to bring this up again, but I just had to throw my 2 cents in here.

Justify what?! I swear some of you people act as if Nintendo owes us something, They are releasing a game that is sure to be a fun time. Either you buy it or you don't. Some people expect way too much from game sequels.

I just think the game looks boring.

Last time a 2D Mario Mario impressed me was SMB3, otherwise the other 2D Marios I've enjoyed the most were spin-offs like Yoshi's Island or Wario Land 4.

Do 2 new powerups really justify it though?

Sorry to bring this up again, but I just had to throw my 2 cents in here.

My question is (not just to you, but most haters), do 80 brand new levels not justify it?

Similar graphical styles and music maybe, but it's still all new content. Criticising it for retaining a few gimmicks here and there and you might as well criticise Mario 3 because it still used goombas and pirahna plants.

I, personally, am really looking forward to this game (especially the ability to lift the other characters in multiplayer, the possibilties with that alone has me excited :P) and I'm really interested in the Penguin Suit (ability to freeze enemies then either jump on them or lift them and throw them, whats not to like :lol:).

But with the graphics, I just assumed it was either to have a similar style to the DS version or that so the Wii doesn't struggle with processing what could go on in the multiplayer.

My question is (not just to you, but most haters), do 80 brand new levels not justify it?

Similar graphical styles and music maybe, but it's still all new content. Criticising it for retaining a few gimmicks here and there and you might as well criticise Mario 3 because it still used goombas and pirahna plants.

This. Oh God. THIS. What is it with people suddenly saying sequels are the SAME game when ALL sequels are pretty much the same thing with new levels, and some minor additions. Why wasn't this an issue a year ago? Oh right, because people are looking for any excuse to complain.

It's the main reason I just can't fault Mario Galaxy 2 despite so many people hating the idea.

Really, a quality sequel to a game everyone loved, let's hate it!

It's the main reason I just can't fault Mario Galaxy 2 despite so many people hating the idea.

They were dissapointed that Nintendo made it hard for them to troll Nintendo fans.

My only problem witn NSMBWii is that even if the graphics are better and the level design is different, the level motifs are pretty much identical to the original game, so far at least. With most sequels they at least change up the levels; in Zelda Majora's Mask, there were swamp levels, a canyon/horror area, a beach, etc. None of which were in Ocarina of Time. In SMG2, so far there are completely new looking Galaxy's, a giant Mario head Galaxy, a full snow Galaxy, etc. In NSMBWii so far it's all the same just with different graphics.

It won't be a bad game, I'm not saying it will be, it just looks a little too samey to me.

My only problem witn NSMBWii is that even if the graphics are better and the level design is different, the level motifs are pretty much identical to the original game, so far at least.

Thats been the case with nearly, if not all of the 2D Mario games so far

Which is why I wouldn't be bothered as much if it was just that, but they've been neglecting things that should have been shoe-ins, like more characters, online (if it won't work, let us know why, 360 games seem to have no problem at all with online platformers, so Nintendo saying "it can't be done" just sounds like an excuse for discrepancy) etc.

There's just no pleasing some people. Thankfully I can enjoy things as they are for the most part. I don't need to find every little reason to complain about something. All I know is Nintendo is bringing a four player Mario game to Wii that closely follows in the DS versions footsteps and I am happy with it. I see this game as a cool unexpected extra Mario adventure. Stop worrying about what could have been and try to enjoy what is.

Which is why I wouldn't be bothered as much if it was just that, but they've been neglecting things that should have been shoe-ins, like more characters, online (if it won't work, let us know why, 360 games seem to have no problem at all with online platformers, so Nintendo saying "it can't be done" just sounds like an excuse for discrepancy) etc.

But what other characters could they add, Yoshi's already ridable so he can't be playable (or else it'd be akward having Yoshi on Yoshi :blink:) people would complain if Wario and DK were added and weren't super powerful (I think someone mentioned this earlier in the thread) and outta the main cast that leaves Waluigi (and why ruin his reputation that he only appears in the sport and party games now), so who else does that leave us with?

and about online, would the Wii even be able to handle four characters running around and doing whatever, while also processing the levels (that includes all the enemies and the power-ups and everything) without some kinda lag messing it up, they may just be playing it safe this time around.

Peach as a secret character? Nothing wrong with wanting that... as a game focused on multiplayer, why are two of them the same? Seriously I can't be the only person who notices that...

That's why they went with Toads. They wanted to have characters with the same abilities as the Mario bros. If Peach was in we'd want her to float, if Wario was in we'd want his ram, etc. Nothing is really expected of Toads.

To be honest I originally wanted Wario etc to be in, but I realise now that if they added characters seen in Mario Party and such that the classic motif would be tainted, so they only chose characters that only appeared in the original games.