Awoo.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Solid SOAP

If it's of any consolation SuperLink, the soundtrack doesn't sound too lazy to me at all. From the footage I've seen, they seem to have remixed the theme for more level genres this time (the ice level certainly had some differences), and at the very least, the new lava level theme is entirely unique.

Super Mario Bros. is my all time favorite game series, with SMW being my all-time favorite game ever.

To say I'm hyped would be an understatement.

As for the Toads, I don't mind at all.

Peach is kidnapped, as usual, and thus, she's disqualified. Yoshi is an item in the game, so he's out, too. Wario's out too, because how he's played in his own games is very different from how Mario & Luigi play. If Wario was in, he'd have to play the same as the others, which seems kinda pointless. Waluigi doesn't even exist in the "canon" of the main series, as far as I can tell, so he's out, too.

Toads have been around since the original Super Mario Bros., and (aside from SMB2, which was a dream and Wario's Woods, which was a puzzle game) we've never played as a Toad.

Makes sense to me!

...I just realized something I have not seen ANYONE mention and something that honestly has me worried.

What's going to happen to Warp Pipes? Are they even in this game? Are all pipes going to be plain since you can't go to areas if only one person's going... I like warp Pipes, and used to checking for them... What if there is no more?

Edited by Dusk the Crypt Keeper

The only thing not original is the concept, but that's because it's a fucking sequel. You can dislike the game's style, but don't start spouting nonsense of laziness only because at a glance it looks like it's predecessor. It's supposed too, that's why it's called "New Super Mario Bros Wii" because it's New Super Mario Bros... On the Wii. What a concept!

Actually, that you don't understand SuperLink's problem with the above statement makes said statement rather meaningless. Ditto for The Sniper, it seems. Doctor Mechano touched upon it, but I don't think he realizes that he did:

Mario is a series that constantly moves forward, while simultaneously clinging to its past. Although it evolves, it's a series that absolutely thrives on its ability to evoke nostalgia by means of referencing its older works.
Edited by Tornado

...I just realized something I have not seen ANYONE mention and something that honestly has me worried.

What's going to happen to Warp Pipes? Are they even in this game? Are all pipes going to be plain since you can't go to areas if only one person's going... I like warp Pipes, and used to checking for them... What if there is no more?

If one person goes into a pipe the other players have a limited amount of time to follow until they are just pulled in. The first one in has the best odds of collecting any secret coins or whatever first.

LBP has tons of different character appearances, a big soundtrack, loads of fun stages and the ability to create, share and play online.

Both games available for the same price.

Firstly a customisable character in a Mario game defeats the point of playing a Mario game, the LBP soundtrack is EVEN LAZIER than the NSMB soundtrack because ALL of the game's music tracks were made by musicians who have nothing to do with the game and most were probably made before LBP was even dreamed up, the LBP stages are dull and uninteresting, also the physics are both god awful and the only challenging aspect of the game. If it weren't for the ability to create (you can't make anything worth playing anyway), share and play online it certainly wouldn't be worth £40. At least with NSMBW you're paying for quality over quantity (which is only if you play LBP online anyway because the main game can be completed in a number of hours loool)

Firstly a customisable character in a Mario game defeats the point of playing a Mario game, the LBP soundtrack is EVEN LAZIER than the NSMB soundtrack because ALL of the game's music tracks were made by musicians who have nothing to do with the game and most were probably made before LBP was even dreamed up, the LBP stages are dull and uninteresting, also the physics are both god awful and the only challenging aspect of the game. If it weren't for the ability to create (you can't make anything worth playing anyway), share and play online it certainly wouldn't be worth £40. At least with NSMBW you're paying for quality over quantity (which is only if you play LBP online anyway because the main game can be completed in a number of hours loool)

Well we know there is at least 80 stages in the game, though that apparently does not include secret stages so much (though of course you don't have to play all 80 to beat the game like regular Mario games) so there will be at least 80+ levels, plus some side modes.

Also, the GAME pre-order bonus is a money box which appears to feature the 4 characters in a 3D version of the original Mario Bros. stage, could it be hinting at retro stages being implemented into this game? Because that'd be amazing and I doubt Nintendo would make a render JUST for a GAME giveaway.

A new hands-on from Gay Gamer. There is a very interesting tidbit in the second to last paragraph.

I should note that the first few rounds I played, no one was being very competitive. But later on in the event, they started a 'tournament' where four players had to play level 1 and the player with the highest score was written down for consideration for the final 4 player battle. When this happened, the game became very different. There were all these competitive cut-throat strategies that we weren't really utilizing before, and it actually made the game more fun. Also, when the players all 'register' their remotes the screen seemed suspiciously more robust than it needed to be, making me think there may be more characters besides Mario, Luigi, Blue Toad and Yellow Toad. I tried holding different button combinations to see if I could change my character, but nothing worked. But it definitely felt like there was more to that screen.

There are hints that there just might be more characters. The game also has more legs when it comes to longevity because of the co-op play, which is nice to hear. The screen that's posted also looks much better that the earlier ones.

NOOO MY HOPES ARE SKYROCKETING! T_T

I'm mostly over the annoyances now so if there were other characters and extras I'd be pretty ecstatic.

Seems like a stretch, but I hope it's true. I really would like to be able to play through the game as Peach. I really don't think it's going to happen though. She's a fair deal taller then Mario or Luigi and her dress makes her like twice as wide too. Maybe they would let us play as her in her soccer shorts. :P

Honestly I don't see the problem with using Peach. They could give her the same hitboxes and noone would complain, or they could even slightly resize her model (like they did for Luigi in SMG). She was fine in SMB2/DokiDoki, and playing as her in SPM was loads of fun.

Edited by SuperLink

It might happen. I really want it to happen. I just don't think it will happen. We'll find out in less then a month though. Maybe someone will be able to get a hold of the guide early. Just don't set your hopes too high. The reason given in that preview for why there might be more characters isn't a very strong one.

playing as her in SPM was loads of fun.

Because she could float and stuff, or because you just like the character? She'll essentially be a Mario skin in NSMBW. I'm fine with that. I'd just like to run through the game as her. Some people will bitch if she can't float and shit though.

Edited by speedfreak

Because she could float and stuff, or because you just like the character? She'll essentially be a Mario skin in NSMBW. I'm fine with that. I'd just like to run through the game as her. Some people will bitch if she can't float and shit though.

Both, but also because Paper Peach is really cute. Also Peach generally being the hero for once is something I like to see every now and then.

I'm with you on that one, I don't care if they want every character to be the same, even if Peach can't float or anything I just want some variety and choice. Face value means a lot to me.

Edited by SuperLink

Honestly I don't see the problem with using Peach.

Why_Peach_isn__t_in_NSMBW_by_wonchop.png

Although Waluigi and Wario would be nice unlockables, amirite?

Y'know I can't even imagine Nintendo acknowledging something like that as a problem, it would go right under their radar.

Though putting more thought into it:

REGGIE IN PERVERTED THOUGHTS SHOCKER

Here is an unbelievable extract from Reggie's latest interview:

"We wouldn't make Peach playable because Mario would be able to look up her dress"

EVERYONE HATE HIM FOREVER, HE SHOULD BE FIRED FOR EVEN CONSIDERING THE POSSIBILITY OF MARIO LOOKING UP HER DRESS

He can already do that in Brawl anyway. Plus I remember a whole big thing a few years ago because Nintendo had Peach wearing a thong in......either Mario Tennis or some snowboarding game. I forget which one. Either way it shouldn't effect Peach as a playable character in NSMBW. I took it as a joke, but if they were serious then that's pretty stupid. <_<