Awoo.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Solid SOAP

Ok, I let myself get over-annoyed and said something rude and uncalled for. Sorry. But I honestly just don't understand where you're coming from. We're talking about a new game that, as far as I'm aware, is 100% new content. I really don't see how you can justify calling that a remake.

I've played remakes of games that have changed so much from the original game that the only similarity between the two games is that they have the same title on the box, same characters and a vague similarity in the main story; so NSMBW isn't particularly outlandish for me to consider it a remake because I've played remakes that were more different than their original source than this game is shaping up to be from the original NSMB.

I can see why someone would think it is a Mission Pack Sequel, but that doesn't mean I have to agree with them just because I understand their reasoning.

I can also easily see Nintendo marketing the game as either a remake of the DS game ("Your favorite game on the DS, now on Wii with exclusive levels and content!") or a sequel ("Mario is back for another New adventure, now on Wii!"), which is largely why I voiced my opinion in the first place.

It's a very objective term meant for a specific circumstance. No one should be able to just say, "Oh, this is a remake to me." Either it is or it isn't, and we'd all know whether or not it is.

Whether something is a remake or not is not objective. Pretty sure Sega called Adventure DX a remake of Adventure, and I know various reviews called it that too, yet I'd be surprised if anyone who played both games considered it anymore than a glorified port. Some people consider Super Mario Bros. Deluxe a remake of Super Mario Bros., and that is little more than the original game at a different resolution and save support. Whether a game is "officially" a remake or not depends on how the publisher's marketing department is feeling that day, but there isn't any standard for determining it either way outside of those claims.

Edited by Tornado

New previews

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2009/10/07/new-super-mario-bros-wii-is-as-hard-as-contra/

http://wii.ign.com/articles/103/1032770p1.html

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3176396

I really hope that info about the game being harder is true. This is really starting to sound great IMO. I can't wait! :D

Believe it or not, this actually has me more interested in the next Zelda more than anything. Since Zelda Wii is also supposed to use the Super Guide, does that mean that game'll have a step up in difficulty as well? I hope so.

• Thumbs Up 1

No, and I don't expect there to be. They've already gone on record saying Mario, Luigi, and the two Toads are it. So even IF there are other playable characters I'm sure they'll be secrets and won't be known of until after the games release. They're all nothing more then Mario skins anyway. No special traits of their own. Luigi doesn't have his higher speed, better jumping, and worse traction over Mario that he's been know for over the past few years. So while I agree that it would be cool to play as Peach or whoever it doesn't really matter much because the traits between all characters will be the same and no matter if you're playing as Peach, Luigi, Toad, Wario, Fawful, etc., you would really just be playing as Mario in disguise. The Toads were chosen because they are generic enough characters that they could be given the Mario move set without people bitching about them not having their unique abilities, as they would for Peach and the like.

You never know though, we might get some secret unlockable skins of Peach, Wario, etc. I wouldn't get my hopes up though. Even if we don't get any I don't see it as a deal breaker in the least. I would have bought this if there was no co-op and it was just another old school style Mario game. I feel we've been all through this character nonsense before though. So if it's that big of a deal that we have two Toads and no Peach then just ignore the game.

Plot: Bowser kidnaps Peach and Mario must save her.

*gasp* Shocker!

There's more to it than that.

There's always more to it than that. Bowser does kidnap Peach in (almost) all of his schemes, but the kidnapping is not the scheme itself, but a mere element thereof. (In SMB, he turned all the Toads into bricks. In SMB3, he transformed the kings of neighboring countries into animals. In SMW, he captured the Yoshis and conquered Dinosaur Land. In SM64, he took over the castle itself. In Paper Mario he stole the Star Rod. Et cetera and so on.)

Yes, Peach will be kidnapped here, but that won't be the entire plot, and it never was the entire plot.

It was in NSMBDS. I read a cake or something kidnaps Peach in this.

From IGN

"The game's overall storyline is so simple it's silly, and the designers definitely treat it as a bit of a joke: New Super Mario Bros. Wii's opening cinematic starts out in Peach's castle during a celebration, when in comes an absolutely ginormous (and highly suspicious) cake sliding in from stage left. It gets thrown into the room, right on top of the Princess, and wanders out of the room with the princess trapped inside: the Koopa Kids kidnap her, leaving Mario, Luigi, Blue Toad and Yellow Toad to run after her – and in the cinematic, the toads fire off a couple of presents that send a shower of Penguin Suits and Propeller Helmets (the "new" power-ups in the design) all over the Mushroom Kingdom. And that's when the game begins."

Sounds kinda lame, just like NSMBDS opening. I wish they would have went with an epic opening like in Galaxy. Oh well, as long as the games fun. Mario has never been known for it's stories, but I wish they wouldn't use such a silly set up. :/

Mario has never been known for it's stories, but I wish they wouldn't use such a silly set up. :/

"Silly" is what Mario is.

Although to be fair the series has has some rather more involved plots, particularly the RPGs and a few of the platformers.

But a more simplistic approach is fine every now and then too. It's nice to see some old characters return too, so I'm still absolutely thrilled by this story, simple as it might be.

And until Galaxys opening 3D Mario wasn't epic either. I'd just rather see a opening in the style of Galaxy is all. As Dr. Mechano pointed out, even classic Mario was more complex then that. It seems a little too silly IMO. It's not a big deal though. It won't effect my enjoyment of the game at all really.

And until Galaxys opening 3D Mario wasn't epic either. I'd just rather see a opening in the style of Galaxy is all. As Dr. Mechano pointed out, even classic Mario was more complex then that. It seems a little too silly IMO. It's not a big deal though. It won't effect my enjoyment of the game at all really.

Well... I thought Sunshine's plot, as silly as it was, was rather more complex than typical 3D platformer fare. Its story, while still simplistic, had a little more character focus and even the odd subplot about Bowser tricking his son into thinking Peach was his mother. I know Sunshine's plot is often frowned upon by fans, but I enjoyed it, and actually liked the cheesey voice acting.

Sunshine was more complex sure, not epic at all though. I guess some wouldn't call Galaxy epic either, but that's the impression Galaxys opening left on me personally.

Look, I don't want super complex Mario stories. I don't even need them to be epic. I'd be fine with Bowser just busting into the castle, slapping some Toads around, grabbing Peach, and flying away in his happy face thing. I just don't really like the idea of putting Peach in a cake or whatever the hell they said happened.

As I said though, not a big deal. As long as it's fun I really don't care that much how it starts. I was just saying that personally I'd rather see an opening more similar to Galaxy then NSMBDS or this cake opening.

You know what, I don't really care if every character has the same moveset. If the game is focused on multiplayer then I don't want to play as 2 characters that look exactly the same who have absolutely 0 significance to anything ever.

It's ridiculous.

Yeah, Toads are lame, but is this really a big issue for you? Is this a deal breaker for you, or is it just a minor annoyance like with me and the silly opening to the game?

It's not a deal breaker, I'm still buying it, but to me it's the difference between half arsed and day one purchase.

Unless another character is unlockable, I will definitely not be buying this on launch.

Literal palette swap characters are pathetic. It's nowhere near a day-one purchase breaker for me, but it's rather annoying.

Edited by Blue Blood

As the owner of the game I'm pretty much garunteed to always play Mario so it doesn't bother me, lol. As it's local multiplayer only, it'll be my friends who play the Toads.

It makes me happy to learn about this silly cake-related opening - I must have misheard information but I thought that's what Galaxy 2's opener was going to be a while back, and was dissapointed by a total lack of even attempt at epicness.

Enjoying New Super Mario Bros and Legend of Zelda Four Swords Adventures (lmao, one of my favorite co-op games ever) this game is a day one purchase for me. Glad to hear it's hard, I liked the difficulty when playing with friends a lot.

It makes me happy to learn about this silly cake-related opening - I must have misheard information but I thought that's what Galaxy 2's opener was going to be a while back, and was dissapointed by a total lack of even attempt at epicness.

Same here actually so it's a relief to know that Galaxy 2 may still have something a little more unique. I also thought the silly cake story was going to be "Peach sees cake, Peach falls in pitfall and gets caught" or something like that. It's still pretty stupid but it's not as bad.

You people really expect something big as a plot?

It was already stated long ago that Nintendo always focus on the gameplay first and THEN they do the story when it comes to Mario games.

And in a game where the more important focus is the multyplayer sidescrolling...well you get the idea

It's not a deal breaker, I'm still buying it, but to me it's the difference between half arsed and day one purchase.

Unless another character is unlockable, I will definitely not be buying this on launch.

I can understand your want for another character, but to me this seems silly. In your opinion the games overall quality depends on if there is one more playable character? It's not worth buying day one with two Toads, but if say Peach was playable suddenly it's a must have day one? Sure having two Toads leaves something to be desired, but surely you don't think the entire game is "half arsed" because of unfavorable character selection.

If this was just another regular 2D Mario platformer for Wii with no co-op and only Mario or Luigi playable would you have zero interest in it?

I can understand your want for another character, but to me this seems silly. In your opinion the games overall quality depends on if there is one more playable character? It's not worth buying day one with two Toads, but if say Peach was playable suddenly it's a must have day one? Sure having two Toads leaves something to be desired, but surely you don't think the entire game is "half arsed" because of unfavorable character selection.

If this was just another regular 2D Mario platformer for Wii with no co-op and only Mario or Luigi playable would you have zero interest in it?

The whole point is that the game is FOCUSED on multiplayer, so I expect the multiplayer aspect to be well thought out. When a game has awful graphics, that usually is brought out by bad gameplay, it's an effort thing. When a 4-player game has 2 characters that are the same for absolutely no reason, it screams "this is the first thing we thought of and the only thing we can be bothered to do". Why are the only other characters Toads? We'll never get a proper reason.

It's the whole attitude really. Using 2 non-existent characters in a multiplayer game where the first two players are unique, and re-using some tracks from the DS game. Where's the effort to make this a big deal?

If it was just Mario and Luigi and 1player I'd expect there to be a reason it's on Wii. Maybe a lovely visual style, or a huge variety of stages, stage builder and dlc.

Edited by SuperLink
  • Thumbs Up 1

So because two of the four characters are the same except for colors you'll deem the entire game "half arsed". Never mind every person who has written a preview has said that it's an awesome game and will likely be the multiplayer event of the season. Never mind the fact that it brings back fan favorites the Koopa Kids. Never mind that the difficulty is supposed to be more in line with the original Mario games. Never mind the new "Super Guide" feature. Obviously those two Toads negate all that. I still think it's silly that you think having two of the same character makes the entire game lazy, but if one of the Toads was swapped out for Peach or Wario then the game would be a must get day one title.

Also the fact that 2 of the 4 multiplayer characters are (basically) the same doesn't effect the gameplay of the multiplayer aspect in any way. The game would play EXACTLY the same whether you where Toad, Peach, Mario, etc. The gamplay isn't effected at all, it's only a cosmetic change. That's not to say it wouldn't please longtime fans to be able to run through the game as Peach or Wario, but it wouldn't change the fundamentals of how the co-op aspect of the game works. I don't really remember anyone complaining when we got FOUR Links.

• Thumbs Up 1

My main problem with the game is that it looks and sounds almost exactly like the original DS game, with very little effort to make it look like it's own game. It looks fun but the whole game will feel like deja-vu, with every environment (So far, at least) being taken from NSMB, the art style being completely untouched, the music sounding almost exactly the same, etc. It looks like a fun game, there's no denying that, but why would I go out of my way to buy a fun game that looks, plays, and sounds exactly like another game I just recently played, when I can buy something that looks more fun and original coming out around the same time (And trust me, there are plenty)?

• Thumbs Up 2