Awoo.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Solid SOAP

I just want to be overwhelmed you know? Can anyone honestly say the thought of this game overwhelms them? And don't start saying that 2D Mario can't overwhelm people, because I know it can (World was pretty overwhelming imo), they just need to hurry up and make it happen.

Honestly I like to play a game before I judge it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I just want to be overwhelmed you know? Can anyone honestly say the thought of this game overwhelms them?

+1.

Seriously, every time I treat myself to reading something new about this game (mostly trying to avoid spoilers from this point on), I end up bouncing in my seat for a bit then looking at the calender and getting sad that it's still a month away.

• Thumbs Up 1

+1.

Seriously, every time I treat myself to reading something new about this game (mostly trying to avoid spoilers from this point on), I end up bouncing in my seat for a bit then looking at the calender and getting sad that it's still a month away.

This. I saw a screenshot of the Ice World map today and nearly creamed in my pants.

To SuperDarkLink: So you are saying that every Mario game has to have ALL the features of it's predecessor and more?

Well, then why nobody bothers that a lot of the moves from Mario 64 and Sunshine weren't used in galaxy? What happened to sliding on your belly? what happened to punch and kick enemies? What happened to breakdance when pressing B + Z with the controller? All of that was repleaced by the Star Spin thingie but I don't see you complaining about it? Even if those abilities (well, except the last one) where quite useful. But the Star spin helped me alot. (specially because the diferent styles of the worlds)

Maybe OMN wasn't comparing NSMBW with other older mario games (besides NSMB). Because I feel that, for example, comparing NSMBW with Galaxy is like comparing Megaman X with Megaman Batte Network. They are too diferent! And comparing it with the classics, that is something INCREDIBLY HARD to compete against, it's really unfair.

So I think the gave it a high grade but withing it own market, not comparing it to every godamn mario game in existance. Besaids, heck, you can even see that Nintendo itelf isn't treating this as "the most awesome mario game of the year" (they must be probably are waiting for Galaxy 2 for that), but treating it as a little nice treat.

Edited by Viku
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

To SuperDarkLink: So you are saying that every Mario game has to have ALL the features of it's predecessor and more?

Not has to have, but they should expand, not forget or replace.

Well, then why nobody bothers that a lot of the moves from Mario 64 and Sunshine weren't used in galaxy? What happened to sliding on your belly? what happened to punch and kick enemies? What happened to breakdance when pressing B + Z with the controller? All of that was repleaced by the Star Spin thingie but I don't see you complaining about it? Even if those abilities (well, except the last one) where quite useful. But the Star spin helped me alot. (specially because the diferent styles of the worlds)

Because they're not game content, they just didn't see the need for those moves in Sunshine and Galaxy, whereas in 64 they were all pretty nifty since there wasn't really any other gimmick. What's NSMB/NSMBW's gimmick? It doesn't have one, it's just the next 2D Mario.

And comparing it with the classics, that is something INCREDIBLY HARD to compete against, it's really unfair.

That's ridiculous, Nintendo haven't learnt anything in 20 years? In the time they created Ocarina of Time? Mario Galaxy? "Crap, we can't make Yoshi available in all stages and we can't think of any more stage designs, competing with the classics is soooo harrrrrd!"

Besaids, heck, you can even see that Nintendo itelf isn't treating this as "the most awesome mario game of the year" (they must be probably are waiting for Galaxy 2 for that), but treating it as a little nice treat.

That's how I see it, a nice little treat. Just think, we're getting this when in 6th gen we would be getting a Mario Party title instead. Just because it's a nice little treat doesn't mean I can't be disappointed though, when shoe-ins aren't included.

oh no i can't have my yoshi forever and it looks like the ds game and there are only toads and i can't be happy for there being a new 2-d mario game on a console in years WHHHHHHHIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

Get over it. We have a fucking FOUR PLAYER MARIO GAME that's supposed to be challenging and fun and all some of you can think about is what you didn't get. I mean god damn. Chances are they all play the same too, so why give a shit about the different models.

Also Yoshi in always sucked (except sunshine) because they messed with the jump controls and I couldn't handle him and then I hit something and he ran away OFF A CLIFF.

Edited by Nathan Speed

Get over it. We have a fucking FOUR PLAYER MARIO GAME that's supposed to be challenging and fun and all some of you can think about is what you didn't get. I mean god damn. Chances are they all play the same too, so why give a shit about the different models.

Why does Mario need 4 "fucking" players?

Also Yoshi in always sucked (except sunshine) because they messed with the jump controls and I couldn't handle him and then I hit something and he ran away OFF A CLIFF.

you take that right the fuck back, RIGHT NOW.

Oh no you didn't! =O

The last platformmer that was like this was Wario Land: Shake It, only the whole game was 2D. The game had MANY challenges that would put your ass on the floor because of how "Under Rewarded" you'd be in sound test songs, when you'd finish all challenges in one of the levels, you'd get ONLY ONE sound test songs in your Media Room. The game wasn't worth the 50 dollars...if you ask me, it made my wallet get the unhealthy pricing sickness called "The Worthless Flu".

The game was not worth it anyway...there were only 20 to 30 levels in the game! Ugh...

I dunno if WarioLand was worth its price, however unlike NSMBW the 2D visuals were really quite fantastic, and there were tons of new tracks spread out across these stages which were all much longer and harder than average Mario Bros stages, with a lot more to do on them.

I'd say it's definitely better value for money than a NSMB game.

oh no i can't have my yoshi forever and it looks like the ds game and there are only toads and i can't be happy for there being a new 2-d mario game on a console in years WHHHHHHHIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

Oh shit! It's on a console and not a handheld, that makes it completely different! I'll take back all the horrible things I said about it now :):):)

Because myself and others don't want to play as 2 characters that look the same when we could be playing as any of the other hundreds of far more interesting Mario characters?

I probably will be playing this in multiplayer, but in single player too.

So it's pretty much just a DS on Wii game with multiplayer. I want series' to evolve dammit.

Uncalled for.

Am I the only one who agrees with Yoshi being shit in World? Unless he controls like he did in Island I won't be that interested. Yoshi suicide to jump that extra bit further was always awesome though [/YOSHI RELATED DRAMA].

Yoshi suicide to jump that extra bit further was always awesome though [/YOSHI RELATED DRAMA].
Yoshi redeemed.

The flying one from Star World was pretty nice too.

Whether or not Yoshi is useless is irrelevant. He's awesome for the same reasons as Luigi.

The reason being that he's awesome.

Whether or not Yoshi is useless is irrelevant. He's awesome for the same reasons as Luigi.

The reason being that he's awesome.

Luigi is way better then Yoshi.

Luigi is way better then Yoshi.

Personal preference man. I actually can't decide which is my favourite. Other than Wario, he's definitely my favourite.

My favorite Mario character as of now is.. Dry Bones. Where's the love, huh? :P

My friends and I are already planning on going through the entire game co-op, but we're missing a fourth person! D: We have a Mario, Luigi, and blue Toad, but no one to be yellow. If only the damn thing was online.

Honestly I don't even think riding around on Yoshi looks that fun in this anyway. Especially after playing as him with his complete moveset in Yoshi's Island (AKA throwing eggs is awesome). It's a cool nod to SMW, but I'm really not too upset you can't take him level to level. Now Galaxy 2 seems to have a much more interesting take on Yoshi. What with the different powers he can get and the tongue swinging. Yoshi most likely won't carry over from level to level in Galaxy 2 either though......and he better not spit disgusting juice out. <_<

Am I the only one who agrees with Yoshi being shit in World? Unless he controls like he did in Island I won't be that interested.

Well, Yoshis can hover in this game, which is a neat Yoshi's Island element adapted into his moveset. I wouldn't expect throwing eggs though.

Wario needs to actually appear in one of the games in the main series. 64 DS doesn't count.

Does Yoshi's Island DS count? I mean, he was a baby at the time, and his "playability" was limited to riding a Yoshi and using a magnet to move blocks, but... It was a mainstream platforming appearance, nonetheless!

Also, I thought Wario was cool in 64 DS. Ah well!

Does Yoshi's Island DS count? I mean, he was a baby at the time, and his "playability" was limited to riding a Yoshi and using a magnet to move blocks, but... It was a mainstream platforming appearance, nonetheless!

It's close, but I definitely don't consider Yoshi series as part of the main Mario series.

I loved Wario in 64DS. My 3 favourite characters in one of my favourite Mario games ever sounds like a match made in heaven. It's a shame they made it worse in many ways. Also Peach was gonna be a secret character but they took her out ¬¬

I do want Wario to appear in a NEW mainseries Mario... that hasn't been since Mario Land 2 :(

I do want Wario to appear in a NEW mainseries Mario... that hasn't been since Mario Land 2 :(

Yeah, and back in Super Mario Land 2, he was just a giant "evil Mario", not yet developed into the goofy antihero we know and love.

Actually, it's been a while since either main platforming series interacted with each other- On a similar note, Mario's one appearance in a Wario game was during the ending to Wario Land, which I thought was a nice continuity nod to the main series from which Wario spun off from.

It'd be very nice to see more interaction between the main Mario series and the Wario/Yoshi/Donkey Kong subseries from time to time, though the party/kart/sports games have actually been doing a very good job of this- It'd still be much cooler to see a platformer or RPG (Or both in the bizarre case of Super Paper Mario) take a shot at it, however.

Yoshi's Island DS, I suppose, is the closest it's come to that, combining the mainsteam Mario series (Mario, Luigi, Peach. Plus future Bowser's time travel shenanigans) with the Yoshi series (obviously), the Wario series (Wario), and the Donkey Kong series (Baby DK, further confusing the whole "Cranky Kong is Donkey Kong" plot threat, but whatever). Something of this magnitude, but with the Mario series as the "primary" focus rather than the Yoshi series, would be awesome I think.

It's close, but I definitely don't consider Yoshi series as part of the main Mario series.

I'm not disagreeing since I usually don't consider them, but I will point out Yoshi's first game was Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island.

Funny how the Mario WORLD titles take place on an island.

Funny how the Mario WORLD titles take place on an island.

Or how, y'know, the huge place called Dinosaur Land is nowhere to be seen in this game, when it should be plainly visible and right behind the lone island on the title screen. The island even rotates, and not once do we even see a hint of a bridge to the Donut Plains.

On another note, the Japanese title of the game was merely "Super Mario: Yoshi's Island", which didn't imply at all that it was a sequel to Super Mario World, since indeed it wasn't- It was a prequel to the entire series, and played in a completely different manner than Super Mario World (Which, continuing this bit of Japanese naming trivia, was given the additional subtitle of "Super Mario Bros. 4" in Japan, appropriately).

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh don't take the 64 DS omitting the wrong way, I really loved him in that game too, but it was practically a re-hash of a game that came out in 1996, I wouldnt't consider that in the main series.

Yoshi's Island DS is an odd one. We've never really had any canon following in the Mario series. Yoshi's Island DS made things more complicated with having Adult Bowser and Time Travel, plus all the babies. I don't know if you can call that a part of the main series but eh.

Yoshi's Island DS feels more like a sequel to a game taking place in a seperate continuity, even though it isn't. I guess what I implied is the main series as in the home-console games such as Mario Sunshine and what-not.

Edited by Carbo the Reaper

I'm not disagreeing since I usually don't consider them, but I will point out Yoshi's first game was Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island.

Probably to introduce the series. It's hard to sell something that isn't a sequel, I guess it always has been.

-Create Yoshi game

-Put "Super Mario World 2" in the title

-????

-PROFIT!