Awoo.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Solid SOAP

Four Swords has a story reason why there are 4 Links, it's the same person split into four, and it's got quite a bit of plot significance across a fair few games. That's completely different to 2 nobody Toads following well known heroes Mario and Luigi for absolutely 0 reason at all.

Listen, I don't expect you to understand why I feel like this about it, but I've explained by case multiple times before in this thread. What I will say is, what possessed Nintendo to do something so stupid when they could have had Wario or someone else playable instead? Why not Red Toad, a character with actual significance? It just defies my belief with what a stupid idea it is to that. Miyamoto must be losing it if he thinks anyone would like this.

It's not a design choice, it's a discrepancy. With things like that it really drags down my faith in the developers.

Also, no stage builder and no online, when this games' counterparts on other systems have had those things for years now.

Edited by SuperLink
  • Thumbs Up 1

Four Swords has a story reason why there are 4 Links, it's the same person split into four, and it's got quite a bit of plot significance across a fair few games. That's completely different to 2 nobody Toads following well known heroes Mario and Luigi for absolutely 0 reason at all.

Listen, I don't expect you to understand why I feel like this about it, but I've explained by case multiple times before in this thread. What I will say is, what possessed Nintendo to do something so stupid when they could have had Wario or someone else playable instead? Why not Red Toad, a character with actual significance? It just defies my belief with what a stupid idea it is to that. Miyamoto must be losing it if he thinks anyone would like this.

I would much rather be able to play as Wario or someone different instead of two Toads, but the way I see it is Nintendo only wanted this game to feature the "main" Mario cast of classic characters that only appeared in the old games, to go with the whole classic game motif. Putting characters like Wario and Waluigi in would kind of tatter the whole classic look of the game.

The doesn't work for me. It went fine in Mario 64 DS, and since when has NSMBWii been "trying to be a classic"? Looks and sounds to me like another 2D Mario game. If not then when the hell are they ever going to progress it properly? 3D Mario has gone leaps, bounds and atmospheric leaps since 64.

What about Donkey Kong? He's about as classic as they get. Not suitable? Maybe Bowser Jr has a fight to pick with the Koopa Kids? There are endless other characters to pick that didn't have to be 2 of the same, starting with Red Toad at the very least.

The doesn't work for me. It went fine in Mario 64 DS, and since when has NSMBWii been "trying to be a classic"? Looks and sounds to me like another 2D Mario game. If not then when the hell are they ever going to progress it properly? 3D Mario has gone leaps, bounds and atmospheric leaps since 64.

What about Donkey Kong? He's about as classic as they get. Not suitable? Maybe Bowser Jr has a fight to pick with the Koopa Kids? There are endless other characters to pick that didn't have to be 2 of the same, starting with Red Toad at the very least.

What I meant by "trying to be a classic" is that it was trying to be more like the original Mario games by using characters only from SMB1, 2, 3, SMW and YI.

Believe me, I really don't care for this game much, I'll probably wind up getting it as a gift but it looks too bare bones to me. I'm just saying that the lack of Wario and other characters might have to do with the fact that they wanted a purely classic selection of characters so old Mario fans don't get confused by characters like Wario and Waluigi.

• Thumbs Up 1

yeah, why can't we have yoshi as a playable character or wario or waluigi or a koopa or a goomba or bowser or anotherridiculouscharecter?

this game will be totally stupid until Nintendo figures out that characters are more important that gameplay. Because, you know, it's not like Toads would be a better choice story wise, we all know Wario guards the princess.

And Wario would jump for her at a moments notice without having to be offered large amounts of cash.

this game will be totally stupid until Nintendo figures out that characters are more important that gameplay.

Haha, oh wow, thats the funniest thing I've ever heard. I wish we still had the badge system because that comment certainly deserves one.

Yeah it obviously made perfect sense for Wario to be playable in Super Mario 64 DS other than the reason of making the fans happy amirite?

I mean fan service and extras in games these days is just silly an pointless!

Oh yes, sure the storyline and characters are more important than the gameplay.

That was the funniest thing I think I've ever read on this forum. I'm sorry to ask, but were you one of those people who also thought SA2 was the Sonic series' best game? Nvm, things like that cause flamewars on these parts.

Edited by Azukara Hayashi

Yeah it obviously made perfect sense for Wario to be playable in Super Mario 64 DS other than the reason of making the fans happy amirite?

I mean fan service and extras in games these days is just silly an pointless!

I don't think using Mario 64 DS is a fair comparison. It's a remake and they wanted to add something to spice it up. Something to insure people who own the original would want to repurchase. The true tale of Mario 64 has only Mario saving Peach. Why wold Wario be hanging around at Peach's Castle? Why would he want to save Peach? They wouldn't bother giving him a reward seeing as Mario and Luigi would do it for free.

It's fine if you don't like the game because of the character selection, but I think you're being awful unfair to call the entire game half assed and lazy because of it. Especially since every preview has said it's excellent.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't think using Mario 64 DS is a fair comparison. It's a remake and they wanted to add something to spice it up.

Isn't this game a re-make? Or have I missed something.

No, this is a completely new Mario adventure. All levels are original. It's a sequel, not a remake. It just has a similar art style to the DS NSMB. Which is understandable since that game sold a shit ton.

Edited by speedfreak

I don't think using Mario 64 DS is a fair comparison. It's a remake and they wanted to add something to spice it up. Something to insure people who own the original would want to repurchase. The true tale of Mario 64 has only Mario saving Peach. Why wold Wario be hanging around at Peach's Castle? Why would he want to save Peach? They wouldn't bother giving him a reward seeing as Mario and Luigi would do it for free.

It's fine if you don't like the game because of the character selection, but I think you're being awful unfair to call the entire game half assed and lazy because of it. Especially since every preview has said it's excellent.

If you want this game, good for you. It looks like it'll be kinda fun, but honestly, in my opinion, I'd rather spend my money on nicer looking, more creative, more fun, more fresh, and in general, games that don't look almost exactly the same as their predesessor. NSMBWii will probably wind up being a very solid and well put together experience, but the fact of the matter is that it looks like a slightly improved Nintendo DS game with half-assed multiplayer thrown in for the sake of saying it's something new and original when in reality it's just a glorified level pack.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'll be getting a couple of those too. It's fine if you would rather have those games over this, good for you. You keep saying you'd prefer original concepts, there's nothing wrong with that. However why the hell would NSMBW, a game that's supposed to be a throw back to classic Mario, need to compete with those games? The whole idea of NEW Super Mario Bros Wii is that it's supposed to be a NEW retro style Mario. So why bother bitching that it's concept is dated?

Also I'll admit Boy and his Blob looks better, and that Brutal Legend and Alan Wake are more original concepts, but I'll never agree that No More Heroes is more fun then Mario. :lol: I thought that game was decent at best. Although the sequel looks better I don't think it compares to Mario.

Edited by speedfreak

I don't think it compares to Mario.

If we're talking about franchises as a whole then nothing does xD. But I love how you all bitch and moan about trivial things like the aesthetic details when you all bought Megaman 9, looool hypocrisy. Besides, you're all missing the point: ITS A NEW FUCKING 2D MARIO ON A HOME CONSOLE FOR THE FIRST TIME SINCE 1992 JESUS CHRIST WHO CARES IF IT LOOKS SIMILAR TO ANOTHER MARIO GAME.

• Thumbs Up 1

If we're talking about franchises as a whole then nothing does xD. But I love how you all bitch and moan about trivial things like the aesthetic details when you all bought Megaman 9, looool hypocrisy. Besides, you're all missing the point: ITS A NEW FUCKING 2D MARIO ON A HOME CONSOLE FOR THE FIRST TIME SINCE 1992 JESUS CHRIST WHO CARES IF IT LOOKS SIMILAR TO ANOTHER MARIO GAME.

I think Megaman 9 was a different case seeing as how it was a $9.00 downloadable game and this will be a full price $50.00. As sad as it is, not many people nowadays would pay $50.00 for a 2D game for one reason or another.

I'm probably not gonna buy this game regardless of wether or not it's a new 2D Mario game on a console or not. It's just a sudden lack of interest. I'll probably buy it down the road out of curiousity but not a first day buy.

• Thumbs Up 1

ITS A NEW FUCKING 2D MARIO ON A HOME CONSOLE FOR THE FIRST TIME SINCE 1992

Super Paper Mario was a 2D platformer, even though it had RPG elements. Don't forget about it!

Still, NSMB Wii is definitely more of a return to traditional-style Mario platforming, which is probably what you meant anyway. Either way, I agree, it's super duper exciting.

...And I think Super Mario World debuted in 1991, not 1992. I could be wrong.

Nintendo's hilarious staggered EU release dates. Originally came out in 1990, came out in Europe in 1992.

But Yoshi's Island came out in 1995 anyways.

Also, Mario is Missing!

*shot*

Edited by Tornado

But Yoshi's Island came out in 1995 anyways.

Yeah, but that was more of a Yoshi platformer- Mario himself was only directly playable in the extremely rare instances of invincibility. Still, I guess it counts since Mario is playable, even if not very often in that game.

Yeah, but that was more of a Yoshi platformer- Mario himself was only directly playable in the extremely rare instances of invincibility. Still, I guess it counts since Mario is playable, even if not very often in that game.

It doesn't count as true to form Mario platformer at any rate, and neither does Super Paper.

Oh yes, sure the storyline and characters are more important than the gameplay.

Sorry, but that's how your all acting. I mean really, all people are doing is complaining about the damned Toads. It's not only not a big deal, it's not even something to complain about.

Also, Mario Kart Wii had fucking DOUBLE DASH models and it was good. All the stuff people are yelling about is just little tiny things that shouldn't be yelled at.

I'd be more excited if it weren't for the fact that this looks, sounds, and plays like a Mario game that JUST came out. If NSMB on the DS was never released, it'd be a different story, but they are putting a very small amount of effort to make this into anything more than a level-pack for NSMB with some added in co-op.

Megaman 9 was $9, this is $50. Also I never played a Megaman game in my life, and I hear such good things about them so I decided to purchase it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd be more excited if it weren't for the fact that this looks, sounds, and plays like a Mario game that JUST came out.

Direct sequels often do look a lot like the game they're a sequel to.

The Japanese Super Mario Bros. 2 was pretty much identical to Super Mario Bros. in terms of graphics, after all. Majora's Mask reused Ocarina of Time graphics like it was nobody's business. The entire classic Megaman series comes to mind as well.

I just don't think similar, or even exactly-the-same, graphics are a problem. As for sound, the music is different, right? It's new arrangements of NSMB's themes, not merely the exact same songs ported over. Even graphically, the game looks better and less polygonal, so yeah.

Why does having Toad as character makes no sense? We should remember Peach has TOAD guards all over the castle. I find this a good thing since this'll be the first time those mushroom idiots do something right for once and chase after the princess....

(I like Toads, but seriously...the castle's guards must be weak as hell if Peach gets that much kidnapped)

Edited by Viku
  • Thumbs Up 1

The Japanese Super Mario Bros. 2 was pretty much identical to Super Mario Bros. in terms of graphics, after all. Majora's Mask reused Ocarina of Time graphics like it was nobody's business. The entire classic Megaman series comes to mind as well.

That was 10-20 years ago, times have changed, standards have been raised. Plus, a console game SHOULD NOT look nearly identical to a portable game if it's being sold for retail for $50. There are considerably better looking games being released on the XBLA with more advanced gameplay and multiplayer than this game and are being sold for $30-$40 cheaper, why should this game be sold for $50 when 3D, online shooters like Battlefield 1943 and 2.5D (With 3D environments, more advanced lighting than most Gamecube games, etc) side-scrolling Metroidvania style platformers like Shadow Complex are being released for $15? Also, Majora's Mask changed enough in gameplay, story, and even in the themes the games presented to justify it keeping the same art style.

I mean, c'mon. Do you honestly not feel ripped off when 360 owners get to play this and this for $15, while you have to pay $50 for something that looks like a glorified DS game? Genre and game preferences aside, it's absolutely ridiculous that 360 and PS3 owners get games packed with massive online features, fantastic graphics, original music, stories, etc, while one of THE BIGGEST Wii games coming out looks like it should cost $15.

I just don't think similar, or even exactly-the-same, graphics are a problem. As for sound, the music is different, right? It's new arrangements of NSMB's themes, not merely the exact same songs ported over. Even graphically, the game looks better and less polygonal, so yeah.

The music is barely different, as if the original game's soundtrack was anything to write home to mama about to begin with. I'm not impressed with this game's music at all.

Edited by Solid SOAP
  • Thumbs Up 1