Awoo.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Solid SOAP

Well first of all I have to say Im quite dissapointed with the Power-ups...yeah the penguin suit and propeller suit look great and all but seriously they offered there would be more...and we get an ice flower, that does basically what the penguin suit already does! WTF?! at least it should let you walk on water like on Galaxy, and they should´ve bring back the mega mushroom :D it would be kickass stomping your friends :P and the characters are also a bit dissapointing but its really not that big of a deal. But all that aside, the game is looking good and I know Ill enjoy it with my friends, so its worth a buy.

I've heard some details about the game from the ONM interview.

-If you play the game in single player the only person you can choose is Mario. So that means even IF there were secret characters(ONM says there aren't any) you would never get to play as them unless you were playing multi-player. It also means that you can't do a single player game through as Luigi, which is kinda lame. Also when you do play multi-player the 1st player is always Mario and everyone else gets to choose who they want out of the Toads and Luigi.

-If you play the game through in single player it should take around 6 hours to complete if you just do a quick run through and don't try to collect any secret coins or whatever. For collecting secrets the time would basically double.

-They say the only Mario games harder then NSMBW are The Lost Levels and the 8th world of SMB3.

-Yoshi doesn't follow you after you finish a level, meaning you can only play as Yoshi in levels he appears in.

-I said it before but no secret characters.

-Remixed NSMBDS music, remixed SMB3 music, remixed SMB music, a few new tunes.

-Thy say you get a very nice reward for 100% completion.

-Worlds progress 1-8 unlike NSMBDS where you could actually miss out on 2 worlds.

-Varied boss battles.

-74 levels in total. (what happened to over 80?! :/)

-No other power ups.

-Fight Koopa kids twice per world. First time at mid world castle, then again at final castle. Kamek flies in at the final castle and uses his magic to make the boss harder.

I've cover everything I thought was important, but you can read the actual interviews here in case I missed something. Part 3 goes up tomorrow I think.

Part One

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/article.php?id=12629

Part Two

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/article.php?id=12639

So yeah some disappointments. Only being able to be Mario in single player, no secret characters, and 74 levels instead of the promised "over 80". I'm still pretty pumped for the game though. I think I'm going to have a blast with this baby and even though I'm disappointed by some things I still can't wait until Nov. 15th. :D

-Yoshi doesn't follow you after you finish a level, meaning you can only play as Yoshi in levels he appears in.

And here I thought Yoshi was the only good thing about this game...

Fuck you Nintendo

The same issue of EDGE gave the blatantly mediocre Operation Flashpoint an eight. Their scores have been pretty weird over the last couple of years.

The same issue of EDGE gave the blatantly mediocre Operation Flashpoint an eight. Their scores have been pretty weird over the last couple of years.

It seems like EDGE is not being very Edgy! Ha! get it? get it?! *bricked* :P sorry had to do it.

I just heard a really good idea over a GameFAQs (shock horror!)

Why didn't they use Toad & Toadette as players 3 and 4? They're both charaters with history and they both suit Miyamoto's "size problem". I really think Nintendo didn't put much thought at all into this... Toadette was even in one of the Paper Mario games.

Also I heard someone saying (I'm not sure if it was here or at ONM) that the Toads would be more acrobatic and athletic than Peach, which is a load of BS to anyone who's ever played a Mario Sports title...

Edited by SuperDarkLink

Part 3 of the ONM interview.

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/article.php?id=12641

Interesting, ONM say there are twenty boss fights. If you fight each of the Koopalings (including Bowser Jr.) twice per world that's sixteen. Now if Bowser also gets two boss fights that would make eighteen. Also if there are only eight worlds then you must fight more then two bosses in a world or two (most likely the last world). Now with all eight Koopalings added up, plus Bowser that would only make eighteen bosses. So my best guess is there might be a Kamek fight and/or another fight with all eight Koopalings at once. I remember reading something where Miyamoto said the final boss with be fresh, but also a parody of an older boss. I'm kinda hoping it's a giant Bowser fight similar to the final battle of Yoshi's Island. Or they could even use Bowser Jr., since he looks so similar to Baby Bowser, to mirror the final fight of Yoshi's Island even further. After all they do have Kamek flying in to make the bosses stronger ala Yoshi's Island.

Edited by speedfreak

I just heard a really good idea over a GameFAQs (shock horror!)

Why didn't they use Toad & Toadette as players 3 and 4? They're both charaters with history and they both suit Miyamoto's "size problem". I really think Nintendo didn't put much thought at all into this... Toadette was even in one of the Paper Mario games.

Also I heard someone saying (I'm not sure if it was here or at ONM) that the Toads would be more acrobatic and athletic than Peach, which is a load of BS to anyone who's ever played a Mario Sports title...

Eh, Toad & Toadette don't really have any qualities that make them a better choice than any other two toads. I mean, the only advantage they have is that they're named characters. I think it's pretty clear that they chose to go with Blue Toad and Yellow Toad in order to have every characters have a distinct color, to help players distinguish between the characters on screen. I'm not trying to imply that the characters would indistinguishable otherwise, but that the colors help make it more clear.

Both Toad and even Toadette have quite a history in the Mario series compared with most NPCs. I really don't think people would have made a big deal over Mario being indistinguishable next to a Red Toad. Seriously, would people be making as big a fuss with regular Toad than they are now? Not a chance.

Did Nintendo seriously not expect this kind of response from any fans? I still can't get my head around what part of them thought putting two nameless Toads in was a good idea.

I still can't wrap my head around the part where people actually care.

People would care if Needlemouse featured Sonic, Tails and yellow and blue Echidnas.

• Thumbs Up 1

SMB3's 8th world wasn't even hard. Guess SMB2J is a reasonable comparison, though...

Don't be that guy. SMB3 World 8 was fucking torture. Entirely possible but torture.

EDIT: I don't hold any grudges against Blue Toad and Yellow Toad since they aren't that nameless - considering they had minor roles in Sunshine and Galaxy. However I would have preferred Toad and Toadette. Coulda made for some fun Left 4 Dead crossover fanart...

Edited by JezMM

I still can't wrap my head around the part where people actually care.

Yeah because it's obviously too much to expect Nintendo to do something nice and fan-servicey for the fans.

EDIT: Actually, never mind the sarcasm, because from the looks of things they won't always exceed expectations, just once or twice a gen (Mario Galaxy).

This is just the bare bones 2D Mario sequel. Which is fine for a lot of people I guess; I just would have been far more happy if Nintendo put in a bunch of stuff "just because", like they do for other big releases.

Edited by SuperDarkLink

People would care if Needlemouse featured Sonic, Tails and yellow and blue Echidnas.
Except there's no third Mario brother. The toads aren't replacing any "guaranteed" character, just a bunch of possibles. Would people complain if it was Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and a new character rather than Amy or Shadow or whoever (well, yes, because Sonic fans are clinically insane, but that's beside the point)?

Honestly, I 100% agree that it would have been better if they used recognizable characters instead of filler-toads. But why is it such a horrible tragedy that they didn't? Why is there so much complaining about a slight imperfection, a single missed opportunity? I swear, this seems like one step above complaining about the color of the title screen.

• Thumbs Up 1

But why is it such a horrible tragedy that they didn't? Why is there so much complaining about a slight imperfection, a single missed opportunity? I swear, this seems like one step above complaining about the color of the title screen.

It's a bit of a disappointment and a discrepancy. In a Mario title based on multiplayer, this is the perfect opportunity for fans to pick their favourite character and go on a 4 player adventure. If they all have the same moveset then what's the problem? It would take incredibly minimal development time to make a few extra player character models, but Nintendo just can't be bothered to "do a nice thing for the fans". The character cast is "bare minimum" effort wise; which isn't something a Nintendo fan should have to get used to, especially since other than the CoOp thing nothing else in the entire game sounds particularly extraordinary,(8 worlds, 74 levels)

Miyamoto's reasons for not including Peach and Wario were pretty clear: He couldn't be bothered, either that or he didn't even consider them.

Edited by SuperDarkLink

So "because we're spoiled".

I suppose that's one way of putting it. I'd have to say that, this being a $50 console game, people expected more content-wise. Nintendo are really delivering the bare-minimum they possibly can when it comes to a 4-player side-scrolling game. It's bound to be a fun romp, just a lacking one.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Déjà vu. I swear this thread just keeps going in circles about the same damn things. Personally I see thins as a new 2D Mario adventure with the added bonus of multiplayer thrown in. Not a multiplayer Mario game that can also be played in single player. Sure the marketing for the game is going to play up the multi-player angle, but it's been said several times that this game was designed as a single player adventure for the most part. I'm kinda disappointed that there aren't any other playable characters, but I can't believe some people are making such a big deal of it. Mountains out of molehills.

Edited by speedfreak
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Like I said, a lot of people are fine with it and I'm OK with that, but for me this seemed like the perfect opportunity for the "ultimate 2D Mario game", and it's hardly ultimate. It's just Super Mario Bros in multiplayer for £10 extra.

And you guys know by now that the playable characters aren't my only disappointment ¬_¬ it's just easy to be vocal about it since it could have been so simply remedied....

EDIT:

So "because we're spoiled".

Since going multiconsole I've played tons of games with nifty little extras, it's not just Nintendo who do it. Really content standards should have risen more than this in the last 20 years.

Still, I'm looking forward to this "great extra" that ONM keep on talking about. I can't see why they would big it up so much if it was just a title screen change.

Edited by SuperDarkLink
  • Thumbs Up 1