Awoo.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Solid SOAP

I mean, c'mon. Do you honestly not feel ripped off when 360 owners get to play this and this for $15, while you have to pay $50 for something that looks like a glorified DS game?

Since you're asking me directly- No, I don't feel ripped off. Simplistic graphics are not "bad" graphics. Call me strange, but I find NSMB Wii's look kind of charming in its utter simplicity.

But then again, the main draw for me is good gameplay and level design, which the Mario platformers have never disappointed me in so far. Even if I was bothered by the simplistic graphics, which I'm not, in the end they'd just be minor aesthetic things that I'd personally overlook.

Eh, as for the soundtrack, I'll just agree to disagree. I really liked NSMB's music, but that's just a question of preferences and tastes, so neither of us can really make a solid argument for the soundtrack being good or bad there, in any event.

Ah, well, I'm pretty tight on money myself so I guess I'm not as loaded as you all are to be disappointed with Nintendo's more lazy approach with this game. Oh well, enjoy NSMBWii, I might if I get it as a gift this holiday season but I'll probably be spending my own cash elsewhere to be honest.

But then again, the main draw for me is good gameplay and level design, which the Mario platformers have never disappointed me in so far. Even if I was bothered by the simplistic graphics, which I'm not, in the end they'd just be minor aesthetic things that I'd personally overlook.

I honestly concur. Also, people should see the glowing previews. There's been comparisons to Super Mario Bros 3, 'Hard as Contra', 'super-hardcore', and a bunch of other superlatives. Appearences can seem awfully decieving.

I have to say I'd hate to see Mario go the way of all these modern 2D platformers trying to look like art galleries. They look fantastic sure, but they never tend to play as well (Braid for example, I only played the demo, but, well, maybe the demo was just crap - either way I didn't purchase the full game). Mario's charm is in his simplicity, there is never any doubt in my mind in Mario games what things are bad, what things are good, what will probably react to being jumped on, what is and isn't destructable through some means, etc. The visual cues in Mario games have always been spot-on.

Also, those $15 Xbox live games I rarely playthrough more than once, or as a little distraction. I can see myself playing NSMBWii for years, and that's just single-player. Never before has Mario bridged the gap between hardcore and party game so well. On my own I can master it, but I'm gonna be having a blast with friends too. This is not just another game to me, it's as much an investment in entertainment as a console is, which few games manage to feel like.

Also: NSMB had a bitching soundtrack and I can't wait for the Wii-mix (gettit, remix, wii-mix? 8D hurrdurrdurr), of the Bowser Castle theme. I loved that.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm going to have to agree with SOAP on this one guys. As much as this game is probably going to rock, I've heard that Shadow Complex is a really good game that also looks great too, and is only 15 dollars. I think for something like New Super Mario Brothers Wii, which doesn't really look amazing but isn't too shabby either, being full priced is probably not worth it. It almost looks like it would be a game you would find on a service such as PSN and XBLA. But then again it is the mascot appeal and the Mario gameplay, which for many could pretty much justify anything. I really dig 2D Mario, but since I know the gameplay is solid why can't it look better?

I'm not going to say its a bad game, since I have yet to play it and I did enjoy NSMB for the DS, but at the same time SOAP brings up a valid point imo.

Edited by Noel Vermillion
  • Thumbs Up 1

I agree with Soap too. I loved Braid and World of Goo more than both NSMB and Super Mario Sunshine. World of Goo isn't exactly a platformer, for it's got the unique visual style I would like to see in a Mario title. Braid was just fantastic, I have never thought about so much over a single game, it's really quite thought provoking and inspiring to me atleast.

Then there's 'Splosion Man, which has a fantastically fun CoOp, although the graphics aren't up to much, it's a hilarious game, and it's online.

For less than half the price of NSMBWii.

You could buy all 3 of those games for the price of one NSMBWii

EDIT: I'm fine when it comes to money but I'm still disappointed by the lack of shoe ins.

Also I couldn't stand NSMB's soundtrack. It wasn't bad enough for me to turn it down obviously, but I really couldn't get like a single one of them (except the final stages) The main theme really annoys me.

Edited by SuperLink

Sorry, but that's how your all acting. I mean really, all people are doing is complaining about the damned Toads. It's not only not a big deal, it's not even something to complain about.

Also, Mario Kart Wii had fucking DOUBLE DASH models and it was good. All the stuff people are yelling about is just little tiny things that shouldn't be yelled at.

Okay, I'm sorry I took you wrong, because you're right. I thought you were complaining about the Toads. XD Sarcasm doesn't seem to work too well on teh interwabz.

But yes, I agree. Maybe the Toads would end up being awesome; who knows?

Just to clarify, is it the midi-ness of the NSMB theme you guys don't like? Coz seriously, I was hooked to this version for so long.

All in all I've always thought Mario 3 had the weakest soundtrack of all the 2D Mario games, but that's just me.

I will say that the one thing that dissapointed me with NSMB is the fact that on World 2 the desert stages got their own theme, which got me all excited for more - turns out I wouldn't hear any new stage genre specific music until the lava levels at the end of the game. =(

Nah, I just don't like the music, I'm fine with MIDIs and I did like the music from SMB3, SMW and all the WarioLand games quite a lot.

I honestly concur. Also, people should see the glowing previews. There's been comparisons to Super Mario Bros 3, 'Hard as Contra', 'super-hardcore', and a bunch of other superlatives. Appearences can seem awfully decieving.

With with games like this (or more specifically the brand name) previews will always overhype/overate said game before release and then continue to do so in the inevitable ''this is the best thing ever created'' etc etc as they write their glowing review on the game.

Edited by blackherox

This game looks great, but what worries me is two things.

One, it looks a bit too similiar to NSMB on DS, except for Yoshi and stuff.

Two, it's going to cost FAR too much. Unless they lower the price down a bit, I won't get it. >.>

Well, you could always wait for a price cut. Then again, isn't Mario Galaxy still full price? When the hell is Nintendo going to implement Player's Choice for Wii and DS games?

They said multiple times that they're not going to ever do a new player's choice line, just like they said that the Wii will never have a price drop ever again.

Nintendo are really greedy bastards at times :/

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd have to agree with that too. I mean, I love Nintendo games, but that's just bullshit. Once sales of a game slow, what's the point of keeping the damn price the same?

I'd have to agree with that too. I mean, I love Nintendo games, but that's just bullshit. Once sales of a game slow, what's the point of keeping the damn price the same?

Once they're "really slow", I think they'd rather just stop producing copies than lower the price :(

New Famitsu scans

http://www.nintendoeverything.com/?p=25852

Looking awesome! Airships return, pow blocks, giant Bullet Bills, Boo houses, new Koopa Kids art, Bowser Jr. has his own clown car air ship thingy.:lol: I know a lot of you don't care for how this game looks but damn I'm excited for it!

Also it shows that cake opening. I think the Koopa kids use the cake as a Trojan Horse and then hop out to kidnap Peach, which really isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I thought the cake was going to be alive and take her or something. :rolleyes:

I really can't wait until Nov 15th.I personally love how this is looking and I can't wait to get it.

Wow. The Koopa Kids art is awesome. Hopefully their re-surfacing in this game will set the stage for more appearances down the road.

I really can't wait for this one.

Wow, after seeing those scans I don't know how anyone can call this a glorified level pack. I mean Boo Houses, Airships and the freaking SMG Ice Flower, Jesus this game is going to be amazing.

• Thumbs Up 1

So I can't say that I'm really excited, but it definitely looks improved since the last time I saw it. The graphics look nicer, it's cool to see air-ships return (Again), the Koopa Kids look great in 3D, and Boo Houses returning is cool too. It'd be nice to see a map layout more like Super Mario World than SMB1/NSMB, but whatever. I hope the Koopa Kids are seen in more Mario games after this one too. The level design looks nice as well, this'll be a fun release probably, I hope so at least, I know I sounded pretty negative before but I never thought this was going to be a bad game, just not a great one. I guess I'll have to see come release day.

IGN are supposed to be getting the finished game in a few days so I expect we'll get a more in-depth preview. Though I bet they won't be able to reveal certain things. Tomorrow will be exactly one month until the games release. :D

Don't know if it was posted already but here's the boxart.

NewSuperMarioBrosWii+boxart.jpg

Edited by speedfreak

Oooh, that's 2/3 very nice. What the hell is up with the red bar? It looks awful. Ideally the picture should be moved down a fair amount, with more empty sky at the top. And in that sky should be the logo.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bowser Jr. and the original Koopalings in the same game?

This officially negates all "Super Mario Sunshine created a plothole by introducing a new kid" flak. I'm glad they tied up that continuity iffy bit by having them share an appearance, slightly strengthening the overall Mario continuity in the process of doing so.

I am pleased. Love the return of the Koopa Clown Car as always.

EDIT: http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=9006374&publicUserId=5379721

Kamek's in the game too. Holy crap, nostalgic references everywhere.

Each boss battle we saw began with Kamek the Magikoopa whisking into the room on the his broomstick and ensorcelling the room. In Iggy's case, that meant transforming the platform into ice, which made dodging Iggy's bouncing ball and his spinning shell incredibly difficult. (Adding to the peril was a respawning power-up mushroom that would occasionally float onto the screen and make a beeline for the pits on the sides of the room, tempting imprudent players to chase after it instead of paying attention to the more immediate threat of the Koopa Kid.) Larry's room was equally dangerous, with portions of the floor constantly rising and falling as the villain leapt about, spinning in his shell and flinging magic spells from his scepter.

It was just like old times, except better. Harder. And a lot more manic.

Edited by Dr. Mechano

:) Oh wow, I didn't even know about Kamek being in it. Great, I hope we get to fight him at some point too. It's a nice nod to Yoshi's island that he flies in on his broomstick and uses his magic to improve the bosses odds of winning. I can only hope he flies in during the inevitable Bowser fight and makes him giant. It was an awesomely epic ending to Yoshi's Island and I wouldn't mind seeing something similar here. The last boss in the DS NSMB was really lame IMO.