Awoo.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic:: READ POST 11156/PAGE 558

HunterTSF

Well, my favourite pony fanfic(Out of the few I've read), has been completed. The Vinyl Scratch Tapes is complete and dear Celestia, it is glorious.

Chapter 4 tied everything together perfectly. We also got to see more of Octavia's ensemble. I was worried about how Corey would the shipping but it worked really well. It wasn't too underplayed or over played. I liked the Diamond Dogs making an appearance and one of them having their canon name used(And being given a nickname). The characters developed perfectly throughout this and the final chapter is no exception. It has a good sense of closure. It also keeps a good balance of humor and many other emotions. This whole fic is just exceptional. Especially when it needs to make you feel emotions. I don't have a complaint about it.

Read this fic. Do yourself a favour and delve in to this brilliant, hilarious, charming, heartwarming, story. :wub:

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2011/06/story-vinyl-scratch-tapes.html?commentPage=2

I was so sad that it's over...

...until I saw the sequel hook for season 2.

If nothing else, the fanbase has certainly made it known that they will not put up with Prince Douche's bullshit. There are dozens of Trixie redemption stories, and even a few Gilda ones. But Prince Douche stands alone (well, aside from Silver Spoon and Diamond Tiara).

So I heard you like Pony music (warning: 3 GB, with a "G", of Pony music).

Saw the Best Night episode. I liked it. Great show. Needs moar.

Also, through the first five or so episodes, I may have, uhm, I thought Rainbow Dash was a boy ...

HOW COULD I, THIS IS probably UNFORGIVABLE D=

• Thumbs Up 4

For all that is holy in the world take my money!

That is literally the best idea I've ever seen for a Pony game.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 3

For all that is holy in the world take my money!

That is literally the best idea I've ever seen for a Pony game.

LMAO Too bad Sonic's not flipping them off in the last panel.

*sigh* Another missed opportunity...

Nice comic! :D

Also, I could see Sonic flipping them off.

HIQUALITYFLIPOFF.jpg?t=1242028179

Dammit, looks like it's won me over. I watched the first five episodes, all of which were enjoyable. But Episode 5 has truly won me over since it followed the format of some of my all time favorite cartoons: a character is established as an asshole, protagonist proceeds to terrorize the shit out of them. Just like every classic Looney Tune, and the awesomeness that is Animaniacs. I don't really feel weird watching it anymore (Except during the theme song) but I'm not about to openly admit to watching this in real life either =P

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh God, someone at Ponibooru just made me a happy man:

38454%20-%20Snatcher%20crossover%20photoshop%20video_game.png

38456%20-%20Lotus%20Snatcher%20crossover%20photoshop%20video_game.png

38455%20-%20Lotus%20Snatcher%20crossover%20photoshop%20video_game.png

Just in case you didn't know, it's a parody of SNATCHER, my internet namesake and my all-time favorite videogame. Someone needs to make this happen.

• Thumbs Up 4

As I mentioned in the comments, the crappy looking Fluttershy looks like it would make a really nice custom Spitfire without that much effort.

Never thought I would say this, but its official. I'm a now a brony.

• Thumbs Up 5

Late reply is late.

*About the elements of awesomery*

That one's a "you have to be there" kind of thing.

I guess you are right, checking out the comments it seems like I've missed a lot of inside jokes.

*About TNTNE*

Let me regale you with a tale. I've been following this story almost since the beginning (I still use the original bookmark link I made when I first started it all the way back when Chapter 3 was the newest one). And I've never ended a chapter feeling particularly good about things. Always been some form of depressed. And since Chapter 8 happened, I won't even read the damn thing unless I have an unbelievably uplifting story on the backburner that I can read after I'm done, just in case. Chapter 8 screwed me up that badly.

As I said before, chapter 8 didn't really crushed me (more likely because I was already crushed by chapter 4), but I do agree with you in that I can't read this fic without having some lighthearted story next to it. unsure.gif

Also, I haven't noticed that art before... Woah...

I still stand by my opinion that that would have been better without the shipping, because it isn't handled that well and it seems far more like it was originally written just for Applejack and Rarity overcoming their difference and being much closer friends (like in Look Before You Sleep). But when the events of Simply Rarity and Blood, Sweat and Tears are both taken into account, this story is damn powerful.

Yeah, thinking about it, the same thing I was "complaning" about is the very same thing that makes this story something more than a simple chapter about friendship. laugh.gif

I like friendship, but it shouldn't deserve the shipping tag if it doesn't deal with love.

Edit: So, yeah. Here's a warning. Anyone who has been reading TNTNE, do not read The New Dawn of the Old Night. I'm serious.

Its a fantastic story, but every chapter I've read of it has put me through absolute hell; and by the time I finished chapter 3 I was on the verge of an emotional breakdown almost identical to the one I did go through when I read Chapter 8 of TNTNE. And Chapter 3 of this one finally made me realize that the reason that this story has been so thoroughly wrecking my shit is because I've been following TNTNE.

Wait, isn't that supposed to be something good? huh.gif

Oh well, for some reason that fic has been going trough my radar without me noticing... I will check it out later.

Now for more poor attmeps at reviewing some fanfics here is some fanfiction time! ("Super spectacular 1002th post edition!")

This one was supposed to be my 1000th post, me'h.

The Vinyl Scratch tapes: (completed)

When I saw the last chapter updated I started to fistpump and scream out loud "YES!".

IRL.

It's the first fic to ever make me do something like that.

Actually, it's been too freaking long since anything makes me do something like that. (the last one being IIRC the first real trailer of PSO2 back in April)

Also, this fic is going to become even more awesome! (either in the good or in the so bad that it's awesome way)

Ponychan thread.

I'm going to be honest here, I was expecting a bittersweet ending, I was expecting prince douche to get away with his douchebagery and somehow be able to cancel the show (which would be a nice justification for the end of season thing)

But everything went better than expected.

It felt so good watching prince douche alone in his plan.

It felt so good watching Octavia being badass (and I sort of hate Vinyl for being right, I wanted to lower to his level).

it felt so good to see the happy ending and finally getting where the ship tag came from, (I'm hoping for romantic sticom antics from now on)

I love this fic.

Maybe my only complain would be how Vinyl managed to get "the perfectly normal earth pony things" to help her in less than 24 hours.

Finding them should have been hard by itself, persuade them to help her and manage to organise the rest of the show is... Well, not realistic enough for my tastes. >_>

The elements of gaming:

I squee'd like your average fangirl, other than that I don't have much to say. laugh.gif

TBH I was expecting rarity to go NOD, I don't know, at least I think they look far better than the Scrin.

Also, it's a shame they destroyed the PC before they could find about all the other wonderful things you can do with it.

And I really hope that we finally get to see a game where Rainbow Dash is good at, this series is making me feel bad for her. sad.gif

The romancing quest:

Where is my shipping tag? (and I'm not saying that with a negative tone)

*type as I read*

Trixie's intro was more sudden than what I expected, but it was still awesome.

And I have to say that I wasn't expected Big Mac to react like that, this fandom has given me a different idea of him. xD

I would like to think that Twilight wouldn't have accepted the race thing if she wasn't under so much rpessure right now (seriously, you accept yourself as a price and to love whoever can win a race? Love doesn't usually work that way you little bookworm).

Suddenly, Luna out of fucking nowhere, this was a little too convenient for my tastes. After reading the whole thing I can see that she was there just to tell Celestia about what happened. (before that I was actually thinking Luna was going to join in the fight laugh.gif )

The end is really good at catching my attention, having to learn about a broken heart? This could mean many things. (Not just Trimac/Macxie ending)

Past Sins:

Hey! Is that fic everyone is talking about for some reason...

It's... Good, if you can deal with a Mary Sue'ish alicorn OC being the main character I say go for it!

That doesn't sound that good, but it somehow works. (or worked, because I think I will stop reading this one untill it's finished)

Okay...

TBH I have to say that instead of Nyx, what I really love about this story is how the rest of the characters act towards her, watching Twilight acting as a mother (she technically is anyways) melted my heart in many ways, and yes, I cried in chapter 6, and yes, I needed to stop reading (for the day) at chapter 10 because I was too freaking sad to go on.

And since that very same chapter 10 onwards most of the characters I like have been doing nothing but failing.

Celestia has been taking the wrong decisions from the very begining... I'm also sort of baffled at how long it took her to take actions, but being the closest thing the ponies have to a god doesn't mean that you are omniscient (they weren't reading the fic).

Twilight actions from this point are also pretty dumb, but I'm letting her go because she has been emotinally destroyed.

The rest of the elements somehow manage to get Trixie (how? I dunno) to join them and try to stop Nightmare Moon... I really doubt anyone was expecting this to work.

Luna goes like if she is going to make something heroic and gets banished offscreen. (now this one annoyed me a little)

Not really a critic against the fic though, just wanting to point that. xD

The only thing I really don't like about this fic is Nyx, I'm mostly hating the current version of Nyx, and since I reckon that the fic is about her, I think I will stop reading this one untill it's finished.

I wont see you tonight; (completed?)

I don't feel like talking about thsi one, that ending was really dissapointing.

What the heck happened with 402?

Luna's socks:

Fandom fetish taken to the next level.

I didn't enjoy this as much as I expected to.

And I don't think I would recomend anyone to read it.

Unless you like to pair Twilight and Luna

The crown jewels:

Random fic is random.

I don't recommend reading this one unless you want some really random stuff.

Actually this fic drove me to randomness, like, I downloaded the Ocean's 11 OST once I knew where this thing was going.

laugh.gif

Also, Pinkie is one hell fo a wild card.

Starpony:

Suddenly, this one is actually gaining some backstory.

I wonder if the princesses are still alive, I don't really think they would be able to rule that crapsack known as the UED.

Not saying Celestia wouldn't want be able to get rid of a bunch of criminals by banishment in space, but sending an attack force to conquer them during the brood wars is... OOC. >_>

Off the edge of the map:

I'm disappointed with this one, because I was expecting an epic long tale and it seems like it will be finished in 3 chapters.

Also, the author's lack of will to make a proper develpment of the Dragon kingdom (because he didn't want to take attention out of the ponies) rubbed me in the wrong way.

Memories of days long past:

Still reading this one, just wanted to comment about that. xD

Also I hope Lycoris doesn't turn on to be Altair, that would be dissapointing

And sort of non-senical considering how much control Gnosis has over him, he could be faking all of that though.

Macintosh: (completed)

Lovely story.

This is another fic that shows us a different (or at least different to the most comon fanon) take on Bic Mac, Even if I didn't feel that good at the begining the history became leaps better as it went leadng to a really good ending (if not a bit funny in a "how the hell did all of this happened?" way).

For some reason I think I would have enjoyed this fic a little more if it had a Shipping tag...

Now I feel awful for even saying something like that. (What happened to me!? T_T)

And that's all I've readed remember right now, I have a long list of one chapter fics right now but I think I should wait for a second or third chapter before giving more opinions. (also, too busy, working)

EDIT:

Never thought I would say this, but its official. I'm a now a brony.

It's like a freaking curse.

Now you are dancing for the pink one, like the rest of us...

She's real. I didn't want to believe it, but she's real. The Pink One hides among us. Watching. Waiting. Giggling.

There is a... a video. Watch the -- no! Don't watch it. Never watch the video. If you watch it, She comes. She comes and she takes you away. And once she lets you go, it's not the same. The world outside my window is so gray now. I can't believe I didn't notice it before. So lifeless and dull. The sound summer wind rustling through the leaves and the grass is a soulless, hollow noise. The branches sway, not in dance but in horrid, mechanical mockery. Even the sun is blotted out behind a sky of endless, dreary clouds. None of it compares to the vibrancy of Her streamers. None of it. Maybe... maybe if I share it, She would let me come back. That would be... nice.

Twitch. Twitcha twitch. Parties forever. FOREVER...

Edited by gato

Blah! Spoilers for Macintosh and Past Sins. They burn (I'm only 6 chapters into Macintosh, and I still haven't started Past Sins)!

Wait, isn't that supposed to be something good? :huh:

Oh well, for some reason that fic has been going trough my radar without me noticing... I will check it out later.

It is, but isn't. Its a good thing that the story is written well enough that its really bothering me, but on the other hand I know that the main reason it is bothering me is because of the unintentional similarities to the backstory of TNTNE rather by it's own merits.

The Vinyl Scratch tapes: (completed)

When I saw the last chapter updated I started to fistpump and scream out loud "YES!".

IRL.

It's the first fic to ever make me do something like that.

Actually, it's been too freaking long since anything makes me do something like that. (the last one being IIRC the first real trailer of PSO2 back in April)

Also, this fic is going to become even more awesome! (either in the good or in the so bad that it's awesome way)

Ponychan thread.

I'm going to be honest here, I was expecting a bittersweet ending, I was expecting prince douche to get away with his douchebagery and somehow be able to cancel the show (which would be a nice justification for the end of season thing)

But everything went better than expected.

It felt so good watching prince douche alone in his plan.

It felt so good watching Octavia being badass (and I sort of hate Vinyl for being right, I wanted to lower to his level).

it felt so good to see the happy ending and finally getting where the ship tag came from, (I'm hoping for romantic sticom antics from now on)

I love this fic.

Maybe my only complain would be how Vinyl managed to get "the perfectly normal earth pony things" to help her in less than 24 hours.

Finding them should have been hard by itself, persuade them to help her and manage to organise the rest of the show is... Well, not realistic enough for my tastes. >_>

Oh come now. Prince Douche never wins in the end.

And in regards to the bit about the realism, "the perfectly normal earth pony things" had to be somewhere where they could access a phone, so I can't imagine there were too many places to look.

The romancing quest:

Where is my shipping tag? (and I'm not saying that with a negative tone)

*type as I read*

Trixie's intro was more sudden than what I expected, but it was still awesome.

And I have to say that I wasn't expected Big Mac to react like that, this fandom has given me a different idea of him. xD

I would like to think that Twilight wouldn't have accepted the race thing if she wasn't under so much rpessure right now (seriously, you accept yourself as a price and to love whoever can win a race? Love doesn't usually work that way you little bookworm).

Suddenly, Luna out of fucking nowhere, this was a little too convenient for my tastes. After reading the whole thing I can see that she was there just to tell Celestia about what happened. (before that I was actually thinking Luna was going to join in the fight :lol: )

The end is really good at catching my attention, having to learn about a broken heart? This could mean many things. (Not just Trimac/Macxie ending)

I absolutely fucking love The Romancing Quest. The situations themselves aren't really anything that haven't been covered before (though turning the story into a Ship to Ship Combat story is a cool twist), but the dialog for it is really fantastic. It just pops so well. For example, when this happened in Chapter 6:

"Twilight, I want to be perfectly upfront and honest with you." Trixie's tone turned direct and serious. "I want to make out with you so direly that it is literally causing me physical pain for every second my lips are not pressed against yours."

I laughed so god damn hard that I was having real difficulty breathing for a few minutes afterwards.

I wont see you tonight; (completed?)

I don't feel like talking about thsi one, that ending was really dissapointing.

What the heck happened with 402?

I am incomparably lazy, so here is a discussion I had directly with CoffeeGrunt about the final chapter, copypasta'd directly from another forum, so forgive the way it is written:

Okay, I just finished A Little Piece of Heaven. I think that the ending for it was rather... it was rather blunt. The scene before the ending was fine, but the final scene just sorta happened. And I know you mentioned it would be resolved in a future story, but I can't help but feel somewhat empty for not getting closure for what happened with Velvet. I will say in hindsight that the chapter ultimately went well clear of anything featured in Of Mares and Magic, and it ended on a believably high note considering what happened. The scene at the funeral in particular was quite powerful.

The next bit is spoilered because after I wrote it I realized that it isn't really a criticism of A Little Piece of Heaven so much as a specific element of it.

Also, Trixie Pie is still weird. I admit that you made it work for this, but I almost feel that it worked purely because of these specific circumstances. Now, even as I type this that doesn't sound like the most fair way to put it, because (ignoring Twilight) I feel Pinkie would be the one of the Mane Six who would go out of her way to accommodate Trixie more than anyone else. But it seems... hm.

When Avery Strange did Kindess' Reward, while it didn't replace Twixie as the OTP, by the end of the story you could really see how TrixieShy would work. Building Bridges did the same for TwiDash, which I had read in a couple of stories previously but up until it was written had never really bought.

At the end of this, it seems far more... Dammit. It seems contrived. And I really don't want to say that, because of the negative connotations of that word and because I can almost see why it works. To be sure, you've done a good job justifying it for this story. But in the end it still seems like the only reason it worked is because of what specifically happened in this story (and Trixie's backstory for this story) rather than any actual compatibility between the two, and that sorta bothers me.

Also:

I agree that Pinkie makes the most sense based on the events of the story, because the only viable ships I can see anyways besides Twixie is TwixieShy and the setup wasn't right for that in this story. Therefore, already I can sorta see how Trixie Pie would work.

I just think that the way it happened would have benefited from more setup before the Vulcan Mind Meld, because it seems like the ship ultimately leans on that one scene more than anything else to sell the ending. The scene where Trixie wakes up and finds Pinkie crying in the kitchen was a really good one. The scene at the funeral was similarly strong. And I think with a couple more scenes of similar importance between the two (though not necessarily of the same kind of emotions that those two scenes had) would have really helped support it in the end. However, it was still just a bit too sudden for it to really work as well as you seem to have intended.

Now, this is a danger for all one-shot shipping stories, especially ones that aren't built around the more common OTPs. Because I read basically everything on ED, I've seen even the "simplest" of ships like AppleDash get unintentionally sunk by the author by not building up to them properly.

But my problem with this one is that it was real close to pulling it off, but just didn't quite have the setup in place to make it.

Also, in regards to Velvet, CoffeeGrunt is writing a sequel story that will follow Velvet. I've preread it and helped him hash out some ideas, and what he's got so far is pretty good. He just wanted to give Trixie some closure before he expanded on Velvet.

Luna's socks:

Fandom fetish taken to the next level.

I didn't enjoy this as much as I expected to.

And I don't think I would recomend anyone to read it.

Unless you like to pair Twilight and Luna

This was funny, I thought. Basically, Trolluna Trolls Twilight. And it was a Buttersc0tch story, so I knew roughly what to expect getting into it in regards to how suggestive/vivid it was going to be.

Edited by Tornado