Awoo.

Pokemon X & Y (October 2013 on 3DS) - [Now out! Go out and play it already]

Pelly <3's U

I think the halo really gives it an "otherworldly psychic" type feel; something Mewtwo didn't really have.

It looks like more exotic, which gives it a greater feeling of being smart than Mewtwo did.

• Thumbs Up 1

Regarding the design, I like it except for the freaking sausage fingers and toes. They don't fit the rest of the design.

I haven't smashed my head on my desk over this kind of tight-lipped secrecy and hype since...I don't know, but fuck, gimme the info already!

• Thumbs Up 1

Wait. There are actually people expecting this thing to have some good backstory/plot?

In the anime it will have something to do with Team Rocket/Plasma and in the games you either get a 1 minute conversation with someone about it and the pokédex entry or a timed event (GameStop® exclusive) with a shitty 3 lines backstory at the official Pokémon website.

They are just bringing Mewtwo back to get more people to buy their products, just like some of Ash's old Pokémon are returning in the anime to get more views.

I don't really expect great things out of this "new" Pokémon.

Edited by Tmsp
  • Thumbs Up 1

Well you're not if you expect the worst out of everything.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well you're not if you expect the worst out of everything.

What should I expect? After 16/17 years of Pokémon games what should I really expect?

Cool backstory for a legendary? Mewtwo was born out of Mew's DNA, the end. Ho-oh burned Lugia's tower and it now lives under the sea, the end. Deoxys comes from space and can change forms, the end. Darkrai will cause you nightmares, the end.

This is what you always got since Red and Green, it is really hard to think they will change their ways in this.

And lets not start talking about event Pokémon. This is a cool legendary Pokémon! Get it at local game store/wi-fi, the end.

Want to know more about them? Read those 3 Pokédex lines.

Edited by Tmsp
  • Thumbs Up 2

Personally I kind of like the simplicity in a game like this. It means I can just imagine whatever I want to have truly gone down. It usually involves lots of giant robots and explosions and laser beams and car chases (but with bicycles instead).

Wait. There are actually people expecting this thing to have some good backstory/plot?

In the anime it will have something to do with Team Rocket/Plasma and in the games you either get a 1 minute conversation with someone about it and the pokédex entry or a timed event (GameStop® exclusive) with a shitty 3 lines backstory at the official Pokémon website.

They are just bringing Mewtwo back to get more people to buy their products, just like some of Ash's old Pokémon are returning in the anime to get more views.

That's awfully negative.

Seriously no one expects some huge deep backstory, people just want it to have some interest, some importance. I don't know what you think, but I thought all those books in Canalave City were very interesting, all the random snippets of rumours, myths and information about the Sinnoh legendaries, all of it. I love it, and while I felt near satisfied with what they did with Reshiram Zekrom and Kyurem, they still left it open for the sake of even more mystery and speculation. I'm left wanting more, they give us a lot to think and talk about imo, and if Mewtwo even gets a snippet of the "story" that Giratina or Kyurem got, I'd be pretty happy.

The great thing about legendary Pokémon is how the real world treats them, like real legends. The games tease us with a few lines of fact then scattered "maybes" and subtle "what ifs", then the fandom takes them and expands them and talks about them like hell. How else has Mewtwo remained popular for so long from a few short diary entries and a mysterious home in an unknown dungeon?

You can be as disappointed in Pokémon's plot as you want and I probably will be disappointed too, but this stuff is almost always fun to talk about, and if you like Mewtwo how can you say no to more to talk about?

• Thumbs Up 6

How else has Mewtwo remained popular for so long from a few short diary entries and a mysterious home in an unknown dungeon?

Im pretty sure that entire movie dedicated to him had something to do with it to.

Nostalgia is also probably a big factor, but I do agree that the whole mystery factor is a good thing. Then again, I just love speculation on this sort of thing, even if it's all fictional and just for fun. :P

Im pretty sure that entire movie dedicated to him had something to do with it to.

And this is despite the fact that he, and every other movie Pokémon, still has next to no big backstory?

That only makes my point even stronger.

Made my own Mewtwo redesign/alt/based Pokemon.

Why?

Cuz I can

Qjzon8S.png

• Thumbs Up 1

That's awfully negative.

Seriously no one expects some huge deep backstory, people just want it to have some interest, some importance. I don't know what you think, but I thought all those books in Canalave City were very interesting, all the random snippets of rumours, myths and information about the Sinnoh legendaries, all of it. I love it, and while I felt near satisfied with what they did with Reshiram Zekrom and Kyurem, they still left it open for the sake of even more mystery and speculation. I'm left wanting more, they give us a lot to think and talk about imo, and if Mewtwo even gets a snippet of the "story" that Giratina or Kyurem got, I'd be pretty happy.

The great thing about legendary Pokémon is how the real world treats them, like real legends. The games tease us with a few lines of fact then scattered "maybes" and subtle "what ifs", then the fandom takes them and expands them and talks about them like hell. How else has Mewtwo remained popular for so long from a few short diary entries and a mysterious home in an unknown dungeon?

You can be as disappointed in Pokémon's plot as you want and I probably will be disappointed too, but this stuff is almost always fun to talk about, and if you like Mewtwo how can you say no to more to talk about?

I'm pretty sure Mewtwo only stayed famous all this years thanks to nostalgia from the movie. That and being the most OP creature from the first games.

I like Mewtwo, I really fucking love Mewtwo, but I don't really expect anything huge from all this. From my past experience with the series I can't expect anything other than a 1 minute conversation with a random scientist about how he may have been created or a stupid event that just puts him in the game with no reason other than being "rare" or "powerful".

I really love the Pokémon games, them being simple or not, but looking at people anticipate a good motive for Mewtwo to return with a new form or whatever that thing is really bugs me. Its like they don't know how this series work.

I may eat the crow later, but I think that thing will have little to no backstory in the games and its just there to attract people with the nostalgia factor.

• Thumbs Up 2

Looking back on that trailer, I really do not like how the Pokemon don't seem to go through a lot after being hit by an attack. Genesect was a prime example there: it took a hit from Mewtwo Prime and it went right back to its stationary pose a quarter of a second later. Zangoose and Machamp also appeared to be going right back to their default poses after being hit, and Machamp definitely looked like it was hit by a Psychic-attack, so apparently even Super-effective moves don't even phase it much.

One of the more impressive things about Stadium and the console RPGs was not only how the Pokemon attacked, but how the Pokemon took the hit, and how they recovered back to their regular poses. Caterpie appears to experience incredible pain, Medicham is sent back several feet and does cartwheels and flips back to its proper spot, and in what is perhaps the most notable of any damaged animations, Sableye appears to be screaming in pain as its pushed back a couple of feet, suddenly tilts its head back to you, grins, and scuttles back to point A while seemingly cackling.

If XY takes a step backward from any of that, I'll be disappointed. Seeing the recoil animations made me really feel for the Pokemon and made me want to ensure my Pokemon don't get hit at times, but with how the Pokemon in XY seem to be ready to go just as they took a hit, I won't be feeling any sympathy.

Edited by Joshua
  • Thumbs Up 7

Those games weren't made by GameFreak. You gotta give them a chance, this is seriously one of the first 3D games they have ever made.

Those games weren't made by GameFreak. You gotta give them a chance, this is seriously one of the first 3D games they have ever made.

I realize that, and I am giving a chance; I honestly think this was just a demo/rough draft of the battle animations for now, and they'll be fleshed out for the final product. But Genius Sonority and HAL did set a standard with those animations, so there's a lot of ground to cover to match it now. Edited by Joshua

They may not have been made by Game Freak, but they were still the first 3D games in the series, even if they were spin offs, so I think it's a valid point. The Stadium/Colosseum games had unique animations for each Pokemon for everything: when they're first sent out, when they're idle, when they're attacking (and they usually had at least two animations for different types of attacks), getting hit, AND when they faint.

Gen V finally introduced idle animations (and they even slow down when a Pokemon is at low heath, which was a nice detail), so logically Gen VI will expand on that ... hopefully.

Ideally it would be nice if there were separate animations for when they got hit rather than just one "I've been hit" animation.  Getting Tackled or Scratched by a low level Pokemon should not cause the same kind of hit animation as getting Hyper Beamed by a lvl 100 Gyarados for example.  And when they enter red HP they should enter a tired idle animation for example.  

Thinking about it, I wonder how Game Freak is when it comes to animating games such as this.  Yeah they've had years of experience in designing Pokemon games but since none of the ones they've developed required proper 3D animation it will feel like foreign territory.  I just hope they have/can get a competent crew of animators with a good level of creativity and artistic license that can define a sense of character to each Pokemon.  Tall order, but it's something they should do.

How hard can it be to throw in a Super Effective animation?

I think it looks fine, I mean the fact that they have movements beyond "Hey we breathe air" this time, and they actually animate the pokemon performing the attack is enough for me.

If it's universal, not too much effort. If people want a unique one for the over 700 Pokemon that will be in the game? Yeeeaah...

• Thumbs Up 2

How hard can it be to throw in a Super Effective animation?

Ah you see you say that, but let's not forget that you'd have to do it for over 600 Pokemon....no scratch that, since this is a new Pokemon Gen it will be for over 800 more like.  Over 800 different animations and animation is very time consuming.  And this is just for a single action.  There would have to be multiple for each Pokemon to represent various actions.  And then that's just for the Pokemon.  There's also the various elements of the characters and overworld that would need animating as well.