Awoo.

Pokemon X & Y (October 2013 on 3DS) - [Now out! Go out and play it already]

Pelly <3's U

Why not.

Explain me how in Kanto they didn't know that a new-born Pikachu was an entirely different specie.

Because they weren't invented yet? What kind of question is that? That's like asking me why there were no Crobats in Gen 1.

• Thumbs Up 4

Now that we are talking about evolutions (and pre evolutions) to older Pokémon, can someone explain me why GF makes baby Pokémon?

They're cutesy so they have a wider appeal. It's not just the hardcore who play these games. It's also an incentive that doesn't involve IVs and all that stuff to use the breeding system, even if it's annoying as fuck to do so. They're good for the marketing too.

I'm not particularly fond of any of them myself, though.

• Thumbs Up 3

Because they weren't invented yet? What kind of question is that? That's like asking me why there were no Crobats in Gen 1.

And that's why I said that they fuck the "canon".

And that's why I said that they fuck the "canon".

So you're criticizing them because they didn't think of everything at the beginning?

What would a better alternative be? Just stay with Gen 1's Pokemon for the entire franchise?

• Thumbs Up 1

So you're criticizing them because they didn't think of everything at the beginning?

What would a better alternative be? Just stay with Gen 1's Pokemon for the entire franchise?

Yup, either do that or introduce new evolutions.

I can see how they only discovered Magmortar in Sinnoh since the way it evolves is really specific, but only people outside of the species home region knowing that the Pokémon that comes from the basic act of two Magmars fucking is a completely different creature its pretty dumb to explain.

If Magby and Magmar where introduced in Gen I and then Magmortar in Gen IV I wouldn't criticize them.

Baby Pokémon are just useless and most of the times steal the spot that could have belonged to an evolution like Azurill for example.

Edited by Tmsp

And, in turn, all the evos in Gen 4 stole the spotlight from every "main" Gen 4 Pokemon that wasn't the starters, legendaries, or Lucario. I hope they don't overdo the evos this time round.

• Thumbs Up 1

One Pokemon that I thought deserved an evolution most because of how useless it is in the first place, is Luvdisc. I remember when I first saw Alomomola and actually thought it would be a new second evo for Luvdisc. But nope, even though they look really similar they are not related!

Another Pokemon that needs an evo...Smeargle! Yeah, imagine that.

And, in turn, all the evos in Gen 4 stole the spotlight from every "main" Gen 4 Pokemon that wasn't the starters, legendaries, or Lucario. I hope they don't overdo the evos this time round.

They did? Before I started visiting the internet I didn't even knew that half of them existed.

In Platinum they where advertised like hell, but in D/P it was almost impossible to know that Tangrowth existed or how to get it without a guide for example.

In regards to the argument that "baby Pokémon ruin the games' canon" argument:

The problem is you're describing it as though it were a set-in-stone rule established in Gen I that "all newborn Pikachu are born Pikachu."  There was no breeding system in Gen I and as such you never stumbled upon a "newborn" Pikachu.  So technically, there's no evidence contradicting their existence in the slightest.  On another note, you could argue that at the time they didn't have the equipment necessary to go into a wild Pikachu or a Magmar or an Electabuzz's nest and discover the younger species.  Considering how powerful Pokémon are, there's no doubt it would take extensive preperation to research them on such a close and intimate level.  You could argue "What?  No one ever thought to have two domesticated Pokémon breed and examine the results?" which is a valid point, but again, you never see anything that contradicts that happening.  TL;DR, you never come across anything suggesting that they do or do not exist, so it doesn't really mess with the continuity much if at all.

That and, of course, the games never had much of a continuity anyway, so it's not like it's messing with that much.  If this were a franchise that favored story over longevity and marketability, you might actually have a valid argument, but as is, the effects of their existence have, at most, done nothing but pad out the Pokédex, which you could debate as being lazy and unnecessary and have a more sustainable argument.

Unless, of course, you're talking about the anime, in which case, there are much bigger problems that cause gaping plotholes that you should focus your attention on that don't involve the existence of baby Pokémon.

Also, they're adorable... and Pichu is one of my favorites :c - So yeah, I love them! <3

• Thumbs Up 1

The baby pokemon are cute and nothing else.

They were probably originally put in to say "Hey, your pokemon can fuck each other till the end of time now".

Though they do make for some interesting YouTube videos.

Considering that the current state of Pokemon breeding is 'Hey wow!  We don't know how it happened, but one of your Pokemon is holding an egg!', it doesn't seem the least bit surprising that they mightn't have known that a baby Pikachu was a Pichu.  Besides, you don't have to have two Pikachu/Raichu to get a Pichu.  You just need a Pikachu and a compatible partner - which may be a purple blob, or might be a floating rock.

The more puzzling bit is that while most of the games emphasize how long people and Pokemon have lived/worked together, apparently no one before Professor Oak, Rowan, Birch, etc. ever thought about studying them, or even talking to the many, many trainers about what evolves into what, where they caught them, etc.

Edited by Thrippa

The inhabitants of the Pokemon world fluctuate between impossible genius and overwhelming stupidity.  For all that people never thought to study Pokemon properly before, apparently it's really easy as it's implied that you, the player, write all the Pokedex entries based on your observations of the Pokemon you catch.  ...Come to think of it, why the heck is the Pokedex stuffed with flavour text but absolutely zero useful information?  No records of evolution methods, movesets and when they're learned...  So that just suddenly went on my X/Y desired features list.  Have every Pokedex entry also have a blank slot for a Pokemon's evolution method that's only filled in when you do it yourself (so you can't just catch a Pidgey and a Pidgeotto, you actually have to evolve it yourself), and then a moveset list matched up to level learned ata that again only lists moves a Pokemon learns while it's in your party.  Brutally hard to complete that Pokedex, but I just don't see why it wouldn't have that kind of information.  Maybe you could download the information from other sources.  Come to think of it, I've never understood why GameFreak haven't come up with a feature allowing you to share Pokedex data with a friend.

The evolution level, especially, is something that I've always wished and wondered why it wasn't in there.  As you say, it should only pop for Pokes that you evolve yourself.  Perhaps they weren't sure how to deal with the non-level evos, like hapiness and trade?  Anyway, with the 3DS games they really need a way for you to access the Pokedex on the 3DS without quitting the game, since it does have all that info, and more.  (Link it to the professor's computer, when you're checking your PC Boxes, perhaps.)

Yeah, I'm really hoping that they beef up the pokedex in X & Y since generally the dex is pretty useless outside of finding the area where the pokemon is. If anything, I'd really love if they went as far as to basically port the Pokedex 3D Pro to the actual game, with all of the data for the Gen 6 pokemanz, along with any other standard in game pokedex feature that can't normally be accessed in the app. 

One of the things I really enjoyed about BW2 is the location feature of the Pokedex, that tracked whether you have seen and or caught all the Pokemon in each area in the game.  Of course, it was a great time waster for me, since I was inclined to refuse to move on until I had caught all the Pokemon in a given area, but I thought it was a great addition.

• Thumbs Up 3

I agree, Habitat View (I think that's what it was called?) was a fantastic addition. Granted, it was sometimes really difficult to actually fill it in due to the fact that some Pokemon only have like a 5% chance of being caught in one of those shaking grass spots that I never see, but its heart was well and truly in the right place.

I personally want the bios to be more than two sentences long. I want to know what a Pokémon's personality and backstory is in more than two sentences! I want it to be so engaging that I'll be motivated to fill the thing up! The complete ideal Pokédex should be much more rewarding than some piece of paper you can't even use to wipe your behind with.

• Thumbs Up 1

I, too, wouldn't mind seeing some actually useful information added to the Pokédex.  The level at which they evolve, their habitat, movesets, etc. would motivate me to actually use the Pokédex for any reason other than to see which Pokémon I have and have not caught and where to find them.  Though, I wouldn't like it if they completely omitted the useless descriptions they have now, too.  Some of those are really interesting and offer great insight as to what animal or idea, real or mythological; living or extinct, a Pokémon is based on.

Edited by Akito
  • Thumbs Up 1

>Coro Coro Scans are Revealed

>No Pokemon X and Y Information Revealed

I hope this means next month, they revealed a ton of info

Am I the only one starting to lose interest in the pre-release excitement? I mean, the game is still Day 1 and will control my life for awhile but the lack of news is just bad. Hell, where's the official art for the protagonists!?

Am I the only one starting to lose interest in the pre-release excitement? I mean, the game is still Day 1 and will control my life for awhile but the lack of news is just bad. Hell, where's the official art for the protagonists!?

My level of interest is bellow zero. This is just what I said some pages ago, let the information be scarce for a while and half of the people lose interest even if you reveal a shitload of stuff later.

What are they doing? We don't know shit about the game other than it being in 3D, the starters, the cover legendaries and a Eevee evolution that they don't even want to reveal its type.

By this time with BW we already knew various Pokémon, hell some of the first Pokémon revealed where Darmanitan and Klink.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's over half a year until the game comes out.  I certainly don't expect constant promotion for the entire period from announcement to release.  That will just lead to overhype and fatigue.  Why should we expect to know everything about the game right now?  What do we need to know about a game that won't be out for seven months?

• Thumbs Up 7

What FFWF said, I'm relatively patient. So I don't need a constant stream of info to give me justification for my excitement.

Edited by Soniman

I really do want information but I have patience.

I do wanna be surprised by these new pokemon, that's one thing that did bug me about B/W is that everyone practically knew what to expect and this time we're left in the dark.

Good change of pace.

• Thumbs Up 1