Someone on /vp/ was kind enough to translate everything:

"'Ninfia' Revealed!!"

"What is this Pokemon that resembles Eevee...could it be?!"

"How did this evolve from eevee!?"

"How strong does it look!? What type could it be?"

"What on earth is it's type now!?"

What on "Earth" indeed...

(grasping at straws...)

Just to page back a bit, I would really like it if GameFreak retconned a lot of the really esoteric evolutions and made them simpler. Let the likes of Lickitung and Sneasel evolve at certain levels, let Porygon and Rhydon evolve by trading, just let Leafeon use a Leaf Stone. The really obscure evolution methods are just ways of preserving internal consistency by making it so newer Pokemon couldn't have evolved in previous generations, but I think it's at the expense of plausibility. Especially since they messed it up and Lickitung could learn the move to become Lickilicky in a previous generation anyway. As for Ninfia, it may be using Swift in that screenshot, but on the poster with all the other Eevee types it's clearly glittering. I'm almost totally confident that it's a shiny Normal-type that will look entirely Normal and Eevee-ish when non-shiny. In any case, Swift... it's a Normal-type attack, isn't it?

Sylveon is a nice name actually. But it's still my least favourite of everything in the Eevee family. Bleugh

• Thumbs Up 3

It's got to be either flying or normal type. Nymphs and fairies? It's hardly going to be fighting type now.

It's got to be either flying or normal type. Nymphs and fairies? It's hardly going to be fighting type now.

toothfairy_movie.jpg

...Sylveon is a pretty good name, anyway. A lot better than Leafeon, at least.

• Thumbs Up 7

They're really being hush-hush about what type Sylveon is. Might lend some credence to the "new type" rumors...

...Fairy-type? That would make sense, as it would diversify a lot of Pokemon presently classified as Normal. Or indeed Psychic, looking at the likes of Celebi and Jirachi.

What would a fairy type even be effective against

They vary a lot in mythology, but some help to guard against evil spirits, so possibly Ghost? Also, Iron was used to ward off malevolent fairies so Steel would be a viable weakness.

Actually Fairy is the first suggestion I've seen that opens up a few possibilities that haven't really been explored much in previous generations, like pixies, goblins, gnomes and the like.

Edited by Pawn
  • Thumbs Up 2

Way too many old Pokémon would fit into the fairy type to make it a thing. And it sounds daft anyway.

I doubt that there's going to be any new types. IIRC, they've pulled the same stunt with announcing Pokémon and not their types before. Not sure if it's only been for legendaries though.

Way too many old Pokémon would fit into the fairy type to make it a thing. And it sounds daft anyway.

I doubt that there's going to be any new types. IIRC, they've pulled the same stunt with announcing Pokémon and not their types before. Not sure if it's only been for legendaries though.

With all the recent critisism of most of Ninty's series being all the same(and Pokemon being seen by many as the most noticable), I wouldn't put it past GF to try to add in a type or two and showcase it with an Eeveelution like they did with Umbreon.

There aren't that many Pokemon classified in the Fairy egg group though, a group that Sylveon shares a similar colour scheme with. Then there's the connection to Norse/European mythology, along with Xerneas and Yveltal.

I'm not exactly convinced that there'll be new type myself, but I think this one is worthy of speculation. Perhaps we'll see more fairy-themed Pokemon, rather than a new type.

Edited by Pawn

Audino, Cleffa, Clefairy, Clefable, Blissey, Togetic, Togekiss, Celebi, and Jirachi are the first that come to my mind for Fairy-like Pokemon.

I think it's obvious Sylveon is going to be a Normal-type. I don't see anything suggesting it's a Flying type. I'm sure it's going to be a female-only evolution. There might be a male counterpart for it, too.

What about Sylveon suggests that it's female-only? The bows? The Gothita line have like a million of those, and they can still be male.

Sylveon still seems more like a bug-type to me than anything. The fangs, the glassy eyes... fairies are bug-like enough for that to count, right?