Awoo.

Pokemon X & Y (October 2013 on 3DS) - [Now out! Go out and play it already]

Pelly <3's U

Yeah I don't have the patience for all that junk either, I'll just play and train Pokemon like I've always have. Never bothered with Battle Frontier stuff either.

I don't EV train myself, because I'm not interested in competitive battling, and I just like to sample the Battle Whatever without feeling obliged to do particularly well.  But I respect people who have the patience to undergo what sounds to me like an unbelievably tedious process.

I have to say, though, I probably am a bad Pokemon player.  While I do select a diverse team with diverse movesets, they are all attack moves, because my "strategy" is to be overlevelled and beat my opponents to death by brute force.  I don't really play for the battles, but I like to have an impressive team because it feels appropriate for my role in the setting and in its story, which is what I'm really playing for.  Also because it gratifies my vanity.

I the only strategy I go with when making a Pokemon team is do my best to avoid the early Pokemon traps such as eeh early bugs and region bird type, because more often they naught they will usually suck when you get late in the game.

Which is why I said more often than not, Staraptor is fuckin legit, it's honestly Close Combat that seals the deal for it's badassery.

Edited by Soniman

Nobody questions the Staraptor. Even with it's blatant weaknesses you don't mess with it. Loved the one I had for Pearl/Platinum. 

As for how it can do Close Combat? Well...

tumblr_mr75rqUDMJ1se9g54o1_500.gif

• Thumbs Up 8

I don't know if this hsa been posted yet, but GamesRadar Interview!

Of note...

"We can’t really tell you what the exact details are, but [the starters] evolve in a way that make people think of one of those medieval RPG’s. So that’ll be something in store for you."

Confirmation of the Knight/Rogue/Mage theming? I think so!

Playing with your Pokemon with Pokemon-Amie ACTUALLY benefits you in battle by increasing that Pokemon's evasion and allows them to deal more critical hits.

Feeding your little Froakie and playing with your Pancham every now and again is not only a heart-warming and delightful experience, but is also beneficial in battle, as your Pokémon may begin to evade attacks more often or deal out more critical hits.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/09/first_impressions_pokemon_x_and_y

Edited by KrazyBean
  • Thumbs Up 1

Nobody questions the Staraptor. Even with it's blatant weaknesses you don't mess with it. Loved the one I had for Pearl/Platinum. 

As for how it can do Close Combat? Well...

tumblr_mr75rqUDMJ1se9g54o1_500.gif

Totally figures that he's slapping around the OTHER badass bird in the game. Also funny because Honchkrow is type resistant to that move, but he can't take any STAB for slag.

Edited by Legendary Aqua

I'm just glad that X & Y are making EV training more accessible by letting you see what your Pokemon's EVs actually are and including stuff like Super Training. I'm sure 75% of the silly arguments over EV training wouldn't happen if the games didn't make it such a big secret.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm just glad that X & Y are making EV training more accessible by letting you see what your Pokemon's EVs actually are and including stuff like Super Training. I'm sure 75% of the silly arguments over EV training wouldn't happen if the games didn't make it such a big secret.

I think that's one reason I never bother to learn about EV's is that it's non-displayed in the game, so I never even knew about it's existance.

I'm glad that your starter has their corresponding type move from the get go.

Yeah that's actually something pretty dag interesting this time around, course this may mean your first Rival Battle against Calem/Selena may be pretty one sided, unless the A.I. goes easy on you on purpose or you don't fight them till later after you start capturing some pokemon, actually yeah that'll make first since.

I know that the girl with the wacky hair picks the starter weak to yours. It's unknown what Tierno or the other kid picks

WGoGSvq.png

Best bird.

I don't even know how many times this fucker saved my ass in Platinum.

I seriously love Staraptor. And when it comes to regional birds I usually keep them on my team. Pidgeot for Yellow/Crystal, Swellow for Sapphire, and Staraptor for Diamond/Platinum. There was a playthrough though in Diamond that I replaced the raptor for Honchcrow. 

Honchkrow was the first Pokemon since the RBY days I put effort into raising to Level 100.

Perfect Attack IV and Speed rising nature would do that to me. :V

Honchkrow only sucks if he doesn't have Moxie.  If he does, and you find yourself on the wrong end of a sucker punch, you'll see what he's made of really fast; especially if you're psychic/ghost.

The times when my friend's Mewtwo is up against my Honchkrow are some of the most tense.  Basically whoever predicts wrong gets KO'd (and Arceus help you if Honchkrow gets a KO)

Edited by Legendary Aqua

I'm glad that your starter has their corresponding type move from the get go.

The only thing that would suck is if in your first battle your rival/friend spams on that move. Problem? Your Pokemon is weak to that move...

I'd understand they want to teach us the triangle and type matchups and that, but wouldn't that just be a bit cruel? Or maybe it would be a force lose situation in order to teach you that failing miserably in a tutorial battle isn't such a bad thing after all.

9 months of mental therapy later, and you still can't let that loss go. Your Pokemon is in even worse shape... It lost its first battle since being born.

Oh, and my thoughts on the 2D thing.. I don't mind. I can't easily see 3D anyway. Actually, my vision's really screwy.

See, I can adjust to the 3D on the standard 3DS, it takes some time. I can't see it at all on the XL. Now, everything will be fine and dandy until a 2D element appears in the 3D world, then my eyes go nuts, and just screw with me, so I'm not upset, I'm just happy we're getting 3D models and stuff for the first time in a handheld game.

EDIT: One final thing, it's a thought. I noticed that they changed Chespin's unlocked image on the Gotta Catch 'em All website. When you click him, the little window that opens still has his jumping pose (It's in my sig), but on the main page, it shows him waving, just like on the Pokemon Global Link's preview image.

Now, I could be reading too deeply, but why would there be two poses of Dream World type artwork? I see no need to change the existing image, there's nothing "controversial" about it (Maybe it's just my dirty mind, but uh... Nevermind. ;) ) Also, there were rumors about something called "Dream Battles," I'll see if I can dig it up, but I wonder if maybe Dream World is coming back for X and Y?

EDIT 2: New Origins Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FCYwj08Dn0&feature=youtu.be

EDIT 3: I swear, this is my last one. It's been confirmed that there will be NO post-release patches to alter the components of the game for rebalanced. Basically, the new mechanic are set in stone for at least X and Y. 2 anime titles were also revealed for the Upcoming X and Y anime (In Japan) 804: We've Come to Kalos Region! Dreams and Adventures Begin! and 805: Mega Evolution and the Prism Tower

Edited by Chespin

With Moxie, nope.

What he said.  Though if you've burned all 8 PP and haven't utterly swept the opposing team, you're doing it wrong.

Dem psychics sure love pursuit!

I actually remember my friend made a Honchkrow with Moxie...I got my ass kicked by it. So naturally I decided to make a Staraptor to counter it. Naturally the ash/paul parallels threw us for a loop because I never considered it.

My friends have adopted a kill on sight mentality with Honchkrow.  The set I ran with protect ended up being easy to predict around take advantage of, so I switched it out with pursuit.  That worked out a whole lot better and got me some decisive KOs against Mewtwo, Giratina O, and Mew.  They haven't done a direct counter to him like they did with Victini, but so far, just using more physically bulky mons that can take a sucker punch and OHKO with a stab seems to be working.

If I sound butthurt over the fact that one of them built an enitre team for the sole purpose of shutting out Victini, I admit, I am a little XD.  The Eevee Rangers shut that down though.

Speaking of Eevees, Flareon's movepool needs a whole lot of work. B2W2 was kind enough to Serperior, so I'm hoping they'll give Flareon some more physical moves, preferably STAB.  Flare Blitz would be the preferred option, but as long as he's able to take advantage of his attack stat, it's all good.