Awoo.

Pokemon X & Y (October 2013 on 3DS) - [Now out! Go out and play it already]

Pelly <3's U

That ain't all the news, apparently you now gain EXP for capturing Pokemon now, also that Pokemon centers have areas to change your outfit at too.

..... but will Pokemon also gain EVs?

..... but will Pokemon also gain EVs?

You know I've never bother to even learn what EV's are, but if they have to do with competitive battling, then I really don't care for it cause I ain't battling online.

But on to yor question, no theirs no mention of that.

Are you sure?  Other sources indicate that you don't meet Professor Sycamore until you get to Lumiose City, which is after the first gym.

Just to follow up on this, Eurogamer's preview confirms that you get the Kanto starter after the first gym:

Your pals accompany you through the game's initial locations, and you don't meet the game's Pokémon professor, Augustine Sycamore, until after the first gym. It's at this point you'll receive your Kanto starter, one of Bulbasaur, Charmander and Squirtle.

I remember quite a few people were concerned about this, so with any luck this will prove reassuring.

You know I've never bother to even learn what EV's are, but if they have to do with competitive battling, then I really don't care for it cause I ain't battling online.

It's not about competetive battling.  It's about being a good Pokemon Trainer.

Professor Sequoia

Could this be the second professor the leaker talked about? Perhaps Patrice was a misremembered name or a beta name that got changed, similar to Yvonne and Xavier.

It's not about competetive battling.  It's about being a good Pokemon Trainer.

No, it's mostly about competitive battling.

• Thumbs Up 5

Plays Jurassic Park theme music as Tyrantrum marches forward.

Plays the Motherfucking T Rex song as Tyrantrum marches forward.

No, it's mostly about competitive battling.

No, it's about doing well.  Good luck getting far in any of the Battle Whatevers without EVed Pokemon.

Besides, it's a simple and easy way to make your Pokemon considerably stronger.  Not giving it attention just because it's for "snooty competetive battlers" is stupid.

No, it's about doing well. Good luck getting far in any of the Battle Whatevers without EVed Pokemon.

Besides, it's a simple and easy way to make your Pokemon considerably stronger. Not giving it attention just because it's for "snooty competetive battlers" is stupid.

It, er, sounds like you're being kinda elitist about that. Are you saying anyone who doesn't EV train is BAD at what they do?

I've never once intentionally trained a Pokemon's EVs, and mine have all turned out fine. Genuinely, EV training doesn't matter at all in the main game, and really only comes into play competitively, as my friend with a super powered Bibarrel will testify.

That thing terrifies me.

I totally didn't mean to make it sound that way, and I'm sorry if I did.

It just irks me when people are willingly ignorant about things, no matter how much or how little they matter.  So again, I apologize.

There are certain in-game facilities where EVs are important, like the Battle Tower, the Battle Frontier and the Battle Subway.

Ergo, if they call it a battle anything, assume there's going to be EVs involved.

No, it's about doing well.  Good luck getting far in any of the Battle Whatevers without EVed Pokemon.

Besides, it's a simple and easy way to make your Pokemon considerably stronger.  Not giving it attention just because it's for "snooty competetive battlers" is stupid.

a3o1xC5.jpg

Eh.

I never EV trained my Pokémon a single time. There isn't really a need to do that if you aren't going to play in the competitive stuff.

I beat all the Frontier Brains in both Sinnoh's and Johto's Battle Frontier without it, only with my regular team. It isn't really that hard.

There isn't a single place in the main games that you really need to have EV trained Pokémon to stand a chance, only at the Battle Tower at the highest floors when the game starts cheating to make you stop and there losing is inevitable.

Evs and that stuff are cool, but they aren't really that important when you aren't playing with other persons.

Edited by Tmsp

Yeah that's suited for competitive battlers.

I'm talking about normal gameplay where the most basically trained Pokemon can easily make it through the campaign.

The only time I've EV trained is to raise the speed , defense and special defense of my pokemon. My method is to have a few pokemon with high enough defenses to keep me in a battle for an extended time period in case I face a strong opponent.

People who say that EV training isn't important in the story are just pointing out the obvious, as it's impossible to reliably EV train before beating the Elite Four so you couldn't do it even if you wanted to. Also, it's very useful for the Battle Frontier because it's much more difficult to power through the ranks with the Pokemon you raised from the beginning. There's a lot of strategy involved and it's more than just attacking the opponents' weak points like it is for the E4. EVs, IVs, natures, and specifically chosen movesets are your most vital weapons. In a lot of ways, the ideas of competitive battling can be applied to the Battle Frontier for the most part.

I hate this mentality about how people who are into stuff like this are elite pricks, or that people who don't EV train aren't playing the game properly or are just bad. The thing I like about Pokemon is how it properly caters to both casual and hardcore players, collectors and battlers alike, offering something for everyone. Hell, you can even make a game focused solely around the contests and minigames if that was your thing. It is fine to not be into certain aspects of the game, such as not being into competitive battling, contests, or Pokedex completion, but the majority of arguments revolving around competitive battling make me nauseous and I can't stand either side of the debate.

I EV trained four Pokemon in Platinum for the sole purpose of the Battle Frontier, and it's given me an extraordinary amount of success that I wasn't able to find with just my basic team.

• Thumbs Up 4

So is that why after 6 years I only gotten 2 silver Frontier medals in Emerald? Because all the Pokemon I used are ones I have used from the beginning, and did't even try EV/IV training?... God damn.

Edited by Soniman

It's not impossible to plow through the Battle Frontier with your regular team, it's just a lot harder. The thing about the Battle Frontier is how there is always that chance of the CPU pulling a fast one on you that you can't do anything about, EV-trained team or not. EV training your Pokemon is not a guarantee that you will beat it every time (much like how it wouldn't guarantee constant wins in competitive battling), but it helps out a lot, because levels are nonexistent in the Battle Frontier yet your stats will be better boosted if you pay attention to their management.

Sean, you have a lot more patience than me then. As you mentioned, Pokemon accepts all kinds. As a collector, I don't have the time to EV train my Pokemon as my team lineup changes far too often for it to be worth it.

Really appeals to that inner OCD part of me that never quite grew up.