Awoo.

Metroid: Other M

SuperStingray

The focus on the GF guys is a bit weird. When I first saw last year's E3 trailer, I figured they'd just be in a couple of scenes or something. I guess it fits with the plot to have them around, though, and I'm curious to see how it'll be incorporated into the gameplay beyond that one encounter that was mentioned in all of the previews.

...why are they all guys, though? Is Samus the only woman in the galaxy who's allowed to do shit?

Jesus Christ, though, I love the design of that giant purple boss. It feels more like something from Super or Fusion than anything from the Prime games ever did.

...why are they all guys, though? Is Samus the only woman in the galaxy who's allowed to do shit?

Notice how in Prime 3, there was the same thing. Everyone was a dude, there were like two women in the whole game and they were scientists or something. And none of the GED troops were girls.

I'm thinking that there just aren't many women in the Federation. Samus got in because of her suit and super-human agility which is enhanced by the suit which contains the ability to use technology it wasn't even built for by adapting it into the suit itself so she's pretty much better than anything they can think of.

But other than that, yeah it seems to be a pretty manly galaxy.

Notice how in Prime 3, there was the same thing. Everyone was a dude, there were like two women in the whole game and they were scientists or something. And none of the GED troops were girls.

I'm thinking that there just aren't many women in the Federation. Samus got in because of her suit and super-human agility which is enhanced by the suit which contains the ability to use technology it wasn't even built for by adapting it into the suit itself so she's pretty much better than anything they can think of.

But other than that, yeah it seems to be a pretty manly galaxy.

335601-gandrayda0_super.jpg

Also Ridley is already confirmed to be in Other M since the first trailer.

800px-Ridley35.PNG

Remember me.

Edited by speedfreak

*img*

Also Ridley is already confirmed to be in Other M since the first trailer.

800px-Ridley35.PNG

Remember me.

Gandraya isn't in the Federation. She's a bounty hunter, freelance, like Samus.

Also, I want Ridley to stay in there. Shit could change, I just hope he's there in the end. Fucking space dragon man. Best villain. The best.

All Gandrayda did in Prime 3 was die. Not going to hold that against her, since all of the other hunters did too, but still.

It just kind of rankles me that the example of a female video game hero still lives in such a boringly sausage-y sci-fi setting. Way to be progressive.

...and yeah, Ridley's cool and all, but where's my 3D Kraid? Or Phantoon, for that matter? The only thing as cool as a space dragon is a space ghost.

Edited by Octarine

All Gandrayda did in Prime 3 was die. Not going to hold that against her, since all of the other hunters did too, but still.

It just kind of rankles me that the example of a female video game hero still lives in such a boringly sausage-y sci-fi setting. Way to be progressive.

...and yeah, Ridley's cool and all, but where's my 3D Kraid? Or Phantoon, for that matter? The only thing as cool as a space dragon is a space ghost.

What. Samus is like, the only action girl in anything sci-fi.

Also Phantoon can go suck ghost dick. He took all of five seconds to beat in Super.

I like the new Ridley theme. I'm just leaving that here.

I'd like to see a Ridley and Kraid at the same time fight, akin to Castlevania Portrait of Ruin's Death and Dracula.

I also wish that had all been in English, it was most intruiging. Gameplay still looks good to me, I just hope it isn't as linear as Fusion. I don't mind linear, but I hated the railroadiness and being unable to progress mostly at my own pace. But even if it is, it still looks like it'll be a pretty good experience.

And Ridley won't not be in there. He's almost always in there. Even if he has little reason to be, he just appears to be like HAI SAMUS LONG TIME NO SEE and be a dick. Kraid would be nice in some form though too. Especially if he gets a cool remix of the Super/Zero Mission theme.

Speaking of the music, it seems actiony and orchestral a lot, like a movie soundtrack, aside from that piano piece. I hope there's still the electronic grim music that is present widely in the series though.

It would be cool if there was another part where you had to sneak around in the zero suit like in Zero mission. That part was so tense.

Anyway I still think it looks great but the problem I have with the controls is that it seems too simplified and too complicated at the same time. It feels dumbed down even by Super Metroid standards. It seems simple because all you have to do is run around and mash the fire button and Samus will automatically take care of all the enemies for for. No aiming up or down, no missiles while in 3rd person :/. Yet it feels complicated because they're asking you to completely change how you're holding the controller so you can go into first person and fire missiles or aim at something.

I could be completely wrong but that's just what I'm worried about. Either way I'll enjoy the game though, so I don't mean to sound as if I think it's awful or anything.

Not to mention there still hasn't been anything shown where the controls could get problematic.
On the other hand I don't see anything that couldn't be improved, if only in some small way, by them using the nunchuck.

But anyway. Story parts are "meh", though maybe only because I don't understand Japanese, but the gameplay looks great. Is that a shinespark at 2:45?

It seems simple because all you have to do is run around and mash the fire button and Samus will automatically take care of all the enemies for for

What.

She aims up and down to a point automatically, but you can't hammer the fire button and kill everything any more than you can in any other Metroid game.

She aims up and down to a point automatically, but you can't hammer the fire button and kill everything any more than you can in any other Metroid game.

Except in other Metroid games you have to aim manually, if you just ran and mashed the shoot button you'd run into shit and die.

Samus will automatically aim at things around her in this, so mashing the shoot button while running will finish off most of the smaller enemies for you.

Also, I just knew Ridley would be in this, that makes it his 5th living appearance in the series... How can he keep coming back so quickly?

You guys already know how I feel about this. Ridley's so bloody overexposed that he's lost absolutely everything that was ever cool or special about him. He's no longer a surprising fanservice treat because it's far more surprising for Ridley to be completely omitted.

I hope he dies for good in this one, since we know he's dead in Fusion.

Edited by SuperLink

Agreed, largely. I'm still not totally sold on the control scheme, but I don't have much of a problem with the auto-aim in particular for pretty much this reason. Metroid games aren't often about precision.

It's still stupid that you need to go into first-person mode to fire missiles, though. It seems like that would remove a lot of potential depth from third-person combat.

Also, I just knew Ridley would be in this, that makes it his 5th living appearance in the series... How can he keep coming back so quickly?

You guys already know how I feel about this. Ridley's so bloody overexposed that he's lost absolutely everything that was ever cool of special about him.

I don't have a problem with Ridley's constant resurrections, honestly. In Metroid and Super, it was fine. In Fusion (Ridley-X, but whatever) and Prime 1, it might've been a teeny bit tiresome. By Prime 3 and the Ridley Robot in Zero Mission, Ridley showing up in everything was getting so ridiculous that it came right back around to being kind of awesome. If he had a real role in the plot of any game but Super I might be more bothered, but he's rarely obtrusive. He's just a recurring boss, and it's not as though there are many other characters for him to be stealing the spotlight from anyway (except Kraid :().

Edited by Octarine

Except in other Metroid games you have to aim manually, if you just ran and mashed the shoot button you'd run into shit and die.

you mean like how I am literally just running through zero mission right now

just running and firing straight forward

and magically killing fucking everything

He's just a recurring boss, and it's not as though there are many other characters for him to be stealing the spotlight from anyway (except Kraid :().

Yeah which is partly my problem with it, since I quite like Kraid and I don't know why Ridley keeps showing up where Kraid doesn't

If Ridley had ever, even once been the final boss, it would sort of justify his importance and I'd be alright with him popping up all the time (like Bowser of Ganon), but he's just a random recurring boss that you fight halfway through the game, and he's only had strong individual plot relevance in a couple of the games.

@ Nathan: Zero Mission was a ridiculously easy game, even on Hard Mode.

Do the same thing for Fusion or Super, owait you can't, you actually have to try a little in those.

Even Other M there is no try, only mash

Edited by SuperLink

If Ridley had ever, even once been the final boss,

Ridley Robot? Kinda?

Ah, well. I get what you're saying, but I'm fine with Ridley showing up as long as it's not at complete random (I.E., sitting in a freezer for no reason in Fusion, although Other M might explain that) and we do get to see some other Space Pirate leaders from time to time. Kraid in particular, but really any kind of weird creature along the lines of the bosses in Super would do. The Prime games were just a little too fond of their Phazon-mutated Pirates. I want the Pirates to attack me with a giant shrimp again, y'know?

@ Nathan: Zero Mission was a ridiculously easy game, even on Hard Mode.

Do the same thing for Fusion or Super, owait you can't, you actually have to try a little in those.

Even Other M there is no try, only mash

doin' it on fusion now

also done on super

hey look at me running and shooting

just hammering the fire button

killing everything

oh hey look entirely possible

oh, and here's the thing, in this instead of aiming up and down, you aim forwards, backwards, diagonally and sideways, switching to a 1st person mode to shoot missiles.

in the 2-d games, you aim sideways, up and down and diagonally.

this actually adds to the combat with the same amount of directional firing options, and an extra way to kill shit.

Ah, well. I get what you're saying, but I'm fine with Ridley showing up as long as it's not at complete random (I.E., sitting in a freezer for no reason in Fusion, although Other M might explain that)

He was captured by the BSL as a specimen from SR388 (iirc that's one of the Space Dragons' home planets), and was subsequently infected by X and killed.

Youlda thunk this happened after some kind of cleanup during Super Metroid. I can only hope that Other M doesn't create any inconsistencies or plot holes ^-^;

@ Nathan:

That's not possible, in Other M, Samus aims at anything in her field of vision, meaning she can kill anything around her just by turning around a bit.

In Fusion or Super how the fuck are you supposed to kill enemies on the floor (like small ones that Samus is too tall to shoot standing up) or ceiling without aiming? You can't. Plus there are two directions to face, you can't kill enemies behind you while just running forwards and shooting. You can't kill Space Pirates that way either, considering they take a fair few shots to kill and they're all over the place.

Of course in Other M, you'll be aiming at them automatically even when they're jumping around like lunatics. It's like I'm really on auto-pilot!

Looks like even though her weapons have ridiculous range and are powerful as fuck, she still has to aim

Edited by SuperLink

That's not possible, in Other M, Samus aims at anything in her field of vision, meaning she can kill anything around her just by turning around a bit.

In Fusion or Super how the fuck are you supposed to kill enemies on the floor (like small ones that Samus is too tall to shoot standing up) or ceiling without aiming? You can't.

So aiming upwards isn't comparable to moving to the side?

because, hey look, you change the direction of your shots

with the tap of a button

yes, these are completely different.

He was captured by the BSL as a specimen from SR388 (iirc that's one of the Space Dragons' home planets), and was subsequently infected by X and killed.

Okay, well not no reason. That's sort of what I mean, though. Ridley's appearance in Fusion wasn't justified because of all of the crap that needed to happen to get him on the BSL space station at all. In every other case, it's just Ridley happening to be around because he's a commander for the Space Pirates. I don't see a problem with that, as long as he's not the only commander we see. It's when he needs to be captured offscreen and put into deep-freeze in the space station Samus just happens to be visiting just so he can be included that I'm willing to call bullshit.

...I wonder how Other M is going to include enemies that can only be hit from certain angles. Will it not bother with them at all, or will we have to ninja-jump around them and pray that the auto-aim works like it's supposed to?

Edited by Octarine

So aiming upwards isn't comparable to moving to the side?

because, hey look, you change the direction of your shots

with the tap of a button

yes, these are completely different.

In Other M you won't even need to jump to hit enemies above you. As long as they're in front of you, just stand and mash the fire button 'til they're all dead. Samus needs about 3 turning points max in order to have her surroundings within her field of vision.

Atleast in 2D Metroid games, as long as they're in front of you they can still be above, below, diagonal (meaning the L or R button is handy at that point) from where Samus is. That's like 8 aiming points, and using the L or R button to aim whilst running can be very useful too. That's not necessary at all in Other M. You just run, and mash. Nothing else. Ever.

...I wonder how Other M is going to include enemies that can only be hit from certain angles. Will it not bother with them at all, or will we have to ninja-jump around them and pray that the auto-aim works like it's supposed to?

Most likely won't bother with them at all..

Edited by SuperLink

Anyone else think it would be cool if this game ended with the beginning of Fusion? I kinda think it would :-/

Anyone else think it would be cool if this game ended with the beginning of Fusion? I kinda think it would :-/

Yeah I'd like that. For one thing it'd mean they have less excuse to keep making story bridge games and actually make Metroid 5 :P

Yeah, I'd love Metroid 5. And to be honest I'd love it to be in 2D. I love Fusion. It had great gameplay and I liked the story telling.

• Thumbs Up 1

In Other M you won't even need to jump to hit enemies above you. As long as they're in front of you, just stand and mash the fire button 'til they're all dead. Samus needs about 3 turning points max in order to have her surroundings within her field of vision.

Oh hey except the ones that are directly above you. Or directly below you. Samus can fire at things within a certain line of vision, but if they're not in that line of vision, obviously not.

The thing is, you're trying to add a mechanic used for 2-D gameplay... into a 3-D game. There is no need to aim diagonally because it would not only be awkward (and with your problem with the perfectly fine controls, make them worse) because you would press a button, face the enemy, and hope to god you hit it and you're not slightly to the left, but it would bog down the gameplay and make it slow.

This is Metroid. I think I've made it clear enough that yes, you can just run through everything. They even have a POWERUP that lets you run through everything. Making it slow and clunky would be horrid, because it wouldn't be Metroid-like. Or fun to play.

So they allow you to hit enemies that are diagonally above you and within a line of vision. The other enemies come in from the sides to allow for the same level of combat, just using horizontal directions instead of vertical.. Which, hey, is just like them coming in from the top and bottom in the 2-D games.

Your wishes for aiming in this game are ridiculous.

Your wishes for aiming in this game are ridiculous.

My wish is for the game to atleast have some level of difficulty, preferably harder than Zero Mission if possible.

Like I said before, this type of game design is suited for an action game like a hack 'n' slash, not a shooting game. To one moment be running around shooting everything without trying and the next moment be standing deadly still just to look around for something you somehow can't see in normal vision mode does sound incredibly clunky, and not Metroid like.

I think the entire approach to this game is all wrong. The aiming cannot be fixed because of the kind of game it is, which is why I wish they'd taken a different direction from the beginning.

Yeah, I'd love Metroid 5. And to be honest I'd love it to be in 2D. I love Fusion. It had great gameplay and I liked the story telling.

24419-noscale-Super%20Metroid%20HD.jpg

My dream Metroid game T_T

Except with less Super and more Metroid 5.

Edited by SuperLink
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1