Awoo.

Metroid: Other M

SuperStingray

Anyone else think it would be cool if this game ended with the beginning of Fusion? I kinda think it would :-/

That'd work really well with the (opening) flashback to Super, I think. I'd probably die of happiness if Other M's ending cutscene was Samus being attacked by X on the surface of SR388 or Samus on the operating table. Or at least a close-up of AI-Adam's purple eye or something.

If a 2D Metroid 5 on the 3DS doesn't happen, I'll rage a bit. I love interquels, but enough is enough. I'd settle for a very heavily modified remake of Metroid 2, though, since I've never actually played that.

• Thumbs Up 1

My wish is for the game to atleast have some level of difficulty, preferably harder than Zero Mission if possible.

Like I said before, this type of game design is suited for an action game like a hack 'n' slash, not a shooting game. To one moment be running around shooting everything without trying and the next moment be standing deadly still just to look around for something you somehow can't see in normal vision mode does sound incredibly clunky, and not Metroid like.

It's being made by Team Ninja.

You know Ninja Gaiden 2 right? The game that looks almost exactly like this?

Pretty damned good game?

Harder than shit?

Hack 'n' Slash?

Don't know it? Pity.

Also, Metroid games are naturally slow outside of combat, but within combat, it's about speed and firing as fast as possible. The 1st person seems made mostly for the slower parts. Not to mention it may not even be entirely needed, like Prime's Scan Visor half the time. It's just used to help look around.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

It's being made by Team Ninja.

You know Ninja Gaiden 2 right? The game that looks almost exactly like this?

Pretty damned good game?

Harder than shit?

Hack 'n' Slash?

Team Ninja never develop for Nintendo

For all we know this deal is in name only, and Team Ninja haven't put their all into it, it's just funding their next big game.

This isn't even Team Ninja's own franchise, why should they work hard on making it good? Their main fanbase is on other systems, and they won't hold it against them.

It's a Nintendo game, it doesn't need to be hard, as far as they're concerned.

Metroid isn't a hack 'n' slash, like I've said millions of times, this gameplay style works well for those, but not for shooting games.

Metroid isn't a hack 'n' slash, like I've said millions of times, this gameplay style works well for those, but not for shooting games.

Oh sorry.

It's a shoot 'n' slash, how could I forget? Stupid stupid dumb dumb.

Metroid has never been about combat. Never. It's never been this hugely complicated thing that needs some form of godskill, you shoot, you aim up and down every now and again, the end.

Oh hey, in this, you shoot, aim around you every now and again, the end!

Sounds comparable.

• Thumbs Up 1

stuff

And now we're back at the point where I say aiming is still required more for a 2D Metroid game, because on that you actually do more than run and mash the attack button forever.

And then you say that my wishes for aiming are unreasonable.

And that's why I say the gameplay style is all wrong. It's not a hack'n'slash, there are a billion different ways a game like this could be done in 3D, ones where the combat actually requires a little more than mashing the attack button (there may aswell not be any enemies at all), ones where a 3D game is played with an analogue and not awkwardly with a D-Pad, and ones where you don't stop dead still once you realise you're actually in Samus' head.

In the end it doesn't matter if Team Ninja made Ninja Gaiden, Metroid is not Ninja Gaiden, they couldn't be more different, so I don't see why having a similar gameplay style will make it so great. The fact that people are saying it's a lot like Ninja Gaiden actually gives me less hope, doesn't Metroid deserve more than a cookie cut job of another company's IP?

• Thumbs Up 1

And that's why I say the gameplay style is all wrong. It's not a hack'n'slash, there are a billion different ways a game like this could be done in 3D, ones where the combat actually requires a little more than mashing the attack button (there may aswell not be any enemies at all), ones where a 3D game is played with an analogue and not awkwardly with a D-Pad, and ones where you don't stop dead still once you realise you're actually in Samus' head.

Name one Metroid game.

One.

One Metroid game where the basic enemies (not bosses) require more than spamming the attack button.

You can't, because that's how you beat everything. In fact, most of the time you're running past a lot of enemies.

Even in the Prime games, that's it. Lock on, pound A button, win. Oh hey! That used an analogue stick that won't magically cure all problems!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Name one Metroid game.

One.

One Metroid game where the basic enemies (not bosses) require more than spamming the attack button.

You can't, because that's how you beat everything. In fact, most of the time you're running past a lot of enemies.

I thought of one instantly. There are some very powerful Space Pirates in most Metroid games, and spamming against those while they're on the ground rather than around you can be dangerous because they're so powerful.

Plus there are multiple enemies that require a different combination of missiles and beams to beat, plus enemies you need to aim at and freeze in a certain place.

If there are any puzzles in Other M that require freezing enemies, it will be more a matter of "wait until it's in the place you want and press b hurp durp" rather than needing to position and aim yourself so you can hit it where you want it and when you want it.

Edited by SuperLink

Cool, two pages of arguing over the same thing. And here I thought I was going to read two pages of actual interesting discussion.

My advice: Stop. You're both extremely stubborn so it's not going anywhere, ever. Superlink is going to continue being excessively worried and Nate is going to continue thinking he's right because he says so. That's just how you two are, and that's why we love you <3

Now shut up.

Peeeersonally, I can live with autoaim but I'd have been happier without it. And no one can say anything to convince me that the d-pad will work better or even just as well as the nunchuck. Especially with the morph ball, that hadn't crossed my mind but after seeing it in the trailer, it's another thing to worry about.

• Thumbs Up 4

I can live with auto-aim sure, but that doesn't mean the game will come out and be able to stand up to all the other amazing Metroid titles if it doesn't work that well.

Heck I'll most likely enjoy the game more than I enjoyed the Prime series (which isn't at all, but I acknowledge that people saw them as masterpieces), but if the reviews are coming out with 70%s and I honestly wouldn't be surprised at this rate, we're all going to be echoing the same things, "wasted opportunity, big disappointment", etc etc.

There are a lot of really ridiculous design decisions, and I'm at the point where I think only a miracle of Nintendo proportions can make this amazing.

EDIT: Oh, I'm settled by the fact that it can't possibly be any worse than Prime Hunters though.

Edited by SuperLink

My advice: Stop. You're both extremely stubborn so it's not going anywhere, ever. Superlink is going to continue being excessively worried and Nate is going to continue thinking he's right because he says so. That's just how you two are, and that's why we love you <3

No, I'm going to keep thinking I'm right because I'm not comparing two things that are mostly similar than treat them as if they were an apple and an orange because of a system that does nothing to take away from combat.

Also I'm not excessively silly.

EDIT: Nothing could be worse than Prime Hunters.

Of course, it can't really be worse than Prime 2 either. That was just boring half the time, until the very end and you didn't have to literally fight the entire fucking world to get places.

Edited by Nathan Farnsworth

Oh, I just watched this new trailer with Galactic Feds in it (I hope they don't pop up too much)

The graphics are looking much nicer than before, so I'm not really worried about that anymore. I'm still not sure it's on par with Prime 3, but it's different, they're not really going for the same thing.

As for the gameplay I still feel a bit iffy on it, but I'll hold out hope for now. I saw speed boost jump, it looks pretty cool xP

For some reason I'm still not really excited though...

I'm still excited. Even though I would have preferred nunchuck controls I still think the game will play well. Honestly one of the main things I'm excited for is the story. This type of game isn't something you see from Nintendo often. I see a lot of people bitching about the story but I'm happy to see Nintendo explore the character of Samus Aran a bit more. Graphics seem pretty great to me, though I'm not very picky when it comes to that.

I'm still excited. Even though I would have preferred nunchuck controls I still think the game will play well. Honestly one of the main things I'm excited for is the story. This type of game isn't something you see from Nintendo often. I see a lot of people bitching about the story but I'm happy to see Nintendo explore the character of Samus Aran a bit more. Graphics seem pretty great to me, though I'm not very picky when it comes to that.

Yeah really the story is my #1 excitement.

I've been thinking though, will this be the second Metroid game to not have a single Metroid? Without creating thousands of inconsistencies, Samus cannot come into contact with any Metroids for the duration of this game.

In Metroid Fusion, Samus is fully aware that "the last Metroid" was the hatchling that saved her in Super Metroid. This means we won't be fighting any Metroids outside of perhaps flashback sequences, and maybe we'll see Metroids in "confidential federation meeting" cutscenes or something.

I'm sure they'll show up somewhere in there. A top secret cloning lab again or something.

I hope there are some decent unlockables in the game. I'd love a hard mode where you play through the game as Zero Suit Samus (kinda like the original Metroid) and all you have is your crappy weak stun gun thing.

In Metroid Fusion, Samus is fully aware that "the last Metroid" was the hatchling that saved her in Super Metroid. This means we won't be fighting any Metroids outside of perhaps flashback sequences, and maybe we'll see Metroids in "confidential federation meeting" cutscenes or something.

I was thinking about this a while ago, and featuring Metroids in playable flashbacks actually makes a fair bit of sense, considering how story-heavy the game's going to be. Maybe we'll get to revisit bits of Metroid 2 and Super in glorious three dee!

Considering how much discussion there'll probably be about the baby Metroid and how the whole species is extinct now and so on, I'm sure that Metroids will have a much bigger presence in this game than in, say, Prime 2, even if we never get to fight them.

...also I agree to the need for a JUSTIN BAILEY mode. I would die.

Edited by Octarine

Seconding the wish for a Justin Bailey mode. I really wanted that in Fusion and Zero Mission.

It would be the best unlockable ever.

Mochtroids should still exist however.

Jesus fuck, flashbacks with recreated level sections from past games in GLORIOUS THREE DEE?? Do want!

tumblr_l6cu61hjPy1qzp9weo1_400.jpg

Link

Samus (hehe just noticed it was her *facepalm*) giving the thumbs down for Metroid Other M lol by the way I have not seen anything of the game can someone give me a link to a Youtube video link to see what it looks like not seen anything of the game besides this and the box art (which looks awesome *the japanese one*)

Edited by Crash

nintendo

you have hundreds of people questioning this game

you need to fire whoever came up with that stand. with actual fire.

• Thumbs Up 1

you need to fire whoever came up with that stand. with actual fire.

Yeah seriously Miss Aran giving her own game a thumbs down isn't promising at all.

It's very funny though.

Um...why?

I mean, being able to go watch cutscenes again, good. Little videos to give the player tips, good. Stitching them all together to make it a "movie"? I don't get it.

Idk maybe the game's creators will make Samus look really awesome in the gameplay bits and have really fast paced seamless action =v=

I'd probably watch it at some point. Sounds pretty neato. I do like it in games where once you get over a learning curve you make pretty much everything you do look really fucking awesome.

And Samus is just the kind of person I can imagine being like that. Looking kickass in absolutely everything she does.

They did something similar with Shenmue aswell.

My thoughts on it are pretty much "so long as it didn't substitute for a really nice extra then Spr_4d_360.png?"

Edited by SuperLink
  • Thumbs Up 1