Awoo.

Metroid: Other M

SuperStingray

Um...why?

I mean, being able to go watch cutscenes again, good. Little videos to give the player tips, good. Stitching them all together to make it a "movie"? I don't get it.

Well they could definitely just have rewatchable cutscenes and hint videos on their own, but I suppose they thought this was a more interesting way to do it.

I think it's pretty neat.

I think it's pretty neat too, and a better question would be, "Why not?"

What I really like is the fact that it will be, for all intents and purposes, be a fucking Metroid movie. That just sounds great. I see no reason why I wouldn't watch it constantly.

I see no reason why I wouldn't watch it constantly.
Because you could be playing it instead?

Because you could be playing it instead?

I'll have the game beaten when I watch it.

I can play the game, yes, but why the hell would I not enjoy just sitting back and watching for a while? If I'm not going for that %100 completion (hopefully that shit stays in this, fun looking for stuff) then I'd be playing for the story and why bother with the tedious starting levels and such and just watch it? I don't really replay Metroid games for anything else in the end.

Oddly enough, all of this doubt is actually getting me much more interested in the game than I was when I was happily ignorant of most of what was going on. I must be some kind of gaming masochist; it's the same reason I'm a Sonic fan, I'm certain.

Anyway, the movie thing is weird, but not necessarily bad... kind of like a lot of the game's features, actually. It actually does make some sense when you consider Fusion's method of plot delivery, with Samus essentially delivering one lengthy monologue in segments here and there. Consider me intrigued.

Edited by Octarine

I dunno, I'd rather have a choice to watch cut scenes seperatly and as a movie. They had something similar (As in watching it as a movie) in The Twin Snakes and it was kinda annoying to get to a certain cutscene you wanted to watch.

Edited by MarcelloF

I dunno, I'd rather have a choice to watch cut scenes seperatly and as a movie. They had something similar (As in watching it as a movie) in The Twin Snakes and it was kinda annoying to get to a certain cutscene you wanted to watch.

Maybe they'll give us the option to start from a certain cutscene? Or let us choose seperately too.

Maybe they'll give us the option to start from a certain cutscene? Or let us choose seperately too.

They will, each cutscene is like a chapter in a movie. You can skip through.

They will, each cutscene is like a chapter in a movie. You can skip through.

If that's the case then everyone should be happy xP haha

You'll appreciate this mode when in the unforseeable future 1 or both of your hands are cut off, or you are otherwise unable to play video games from an input standpoint. At least you'll be able to enjoy the story.

The new ONM issue is here!

And the verdict on Metroid: Other M is...

Put on hold.

"We were hoping to bring you a full review this month, but the game still needed some final tweaks. Duly we've decided to hold off on our final verdict until nearer the release. You can read a full review the day before the game is out at www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk or wait until the next issue of ONM, which hits the shelves on 6 September"

Sadface.

They do however have a massive preview of the game, which I am yet to read. Needless to say, I shall report back with any findings. Impressions seem to be fairly positive from what I've glanced at so far though.

-------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT 1: Just read the preview, which may as well have been a review (and was probably intended to be, albeit the score was removed at the last minute). Basically they say Other M is a fun and exciting game with some unique and frantic action, but it's got some noticeable flaws like... yes, you guessed it... the controls. D-pad moving is fine for the most part but not perfect, the transition from third to first person can cost you valuable seconds in boss fights, there's apparently a way of healing when you're in first person by holding the A button when you're low on energy that just doesn't work because as soon as you use it you just get blasted by enemy fire... so yeah, looks like some of our worries have been realised.

Having said that though, they are still hugely positive about the game and highly recommend picking it up. I imagine it would have got a high 80%/low 90% score based on what I've read. So not bad by any means, but perhaps not the OMG AWESOME experience some of you might have been hoping for.

EDIT 2: Forgot to mention, the issue comes with a stunning Samus Aran cover. It's basically a close up of Zero Suit Samus' face and it's so frickin' cool. They should totally have used it for the box art.

EDIT 3: FUCK YEAH SEXY COVER

DSC00035.jpg

On a side note, no I am not going to take photos of and/or scan the entire preview. You'll just have to pick it up for yourselves when it hits the shelves.

Edited by Doctor MK
  • Thumbs Up 2

ololol and Nate said it would be perfect.

Well it's no surprise, any of it. I figured it would be good but with controls like that, it couldn't be any more than that, just "good". Oh well.

Ehehe, I can't wait to see what he'll say to this xD

Other, than that, it seems to be exactly what we thought, though. I'm still buying the game, though. Maybe I'll get used to the controls u,u

Edited by MarcelloF

Well, hey. That doesn't sound too bad at all, especially if it's still going through some tweaks. The control issues are a bit of a disappointment, but it's not like they weren't expected, and it doesn't sound like they're nearly as much of a problem as they could've been. Unless this review is a freak occurance and everyone else hates the game, I'm definitely going to pick it up.

Did the preview mention the story or voice acting, Doctor MK?

Did the preview mention the story or voice acting, Doctor MK?

It mentions that a lot of emphasis is placed on the narrative and the "gorgeous" cutscenes, but it doesn't really go into much depth about what's actually happening - Samus meets the Galactic Federation crew on the Bottle Ship, that's about it really.

They do however name the story as one of the strong points of the game, ultimately adding to the fast-paced gameplay to make a truly cinematic experience.

Basically, it seems like it'll be a case of "if you can put up with some sometimes flawed controls, you'll have a blast with Metroid: Other M".

Edited by Doctor MK

So Metroid: Other M is basically a wonderful movie, and an average game.

Well it doesn't really bother me, though I was hoping for something better.

Basically, it seems like it'll be a case of "if you can put up with some sometimes flawed controls, you'll have a blast with Metroid: Other M".
Normally this wouldn't bother me much, but the solution seems so damn obvious from my point of view that it kind of pisses me off.
  • Thumbs Up 1

So Metroid: Other M is basically a wonderful movie, and an average game.

Well it doesn't really bother me, though I was hoping for something better.

I didn't realize "sometimes flawed controls" meant average game automatically. Holy shit, guys. I mean, I'm disappointed that they didn't iron out the issues, but since when does a ton of praise and one issue mean a game is just average? If it what Doc MK is estimating is true, then it isn't. A high 8 score is, last time I checked, a B+.

Oh my, I didn't know calling a game average was bad. Sure it's just one thing, but it's a gaping flaw with a painfully obvious and simple solution. The fact that they couldn't implement nunchuck controls, even as an alternate method, tells me they were either stupid or lazy or a combination of both.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sounds more like the director was a stubborn git. He was the one always going on about how he only wanted to use the Wii Remote. And yes, average is something you don't want to be throwing around when a game is good save for one thing. That's not average, I mean...does anyone even know what average means? It means it's not terribly bad or good, it's just ok. If ONM is saying "THIS GAME IS AWESOME SAVE FOR SOME CONTROL ISSUES" that means it's not average. It's not George W. Bush's college career.

Edited by Hero Of Fate

Amazing preview from Jeremy Parish. Don't know if its been posted yet, but what the hey: http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3180732

So, yes, Other M is a more story- and action-oriented game than previous Metroid titles. But the action feels right in line with classic Metroid, meaning this could be a faithful, satisfactory 3D update to a legacy franchise without invoking a total genre switch. It's definitely shaping up to be a challenge, yet Metroid fans will feel right at home thanks to the game's streamlined interface.

Just what I wanted to hear! :wub: A seal of approval from Jeremy Parish (a huge Metroid fan) is very, very encouraging. If there was something duff about it, he wouldn't be afraid to come out and say it. But still...haters gonna hate.

r2w7.gif

Remember me?

Where, exactly, did I say that the controls would be perfect and have no issues whatsoever? Because if I did, point it out because I worded something very badly.

Everyone was screaming that the controls would suck, I said they would be fine. That's it. The controls are fine in the end, and you're all worrying over a little detail which I hardly believe will distract from the game as much as you're all making it out too.

You were all being silly and I wasn't. Oh hey would you look at that, your silliness is still unjustified.

Everyone was screaming that the controls would suck,
I believe all I've said is that insisting on the Wiimote only is likely to cause some significant flaws (and apparently it has) that could easily be fixed by using the nunchuck.

Can I feel smug now?