Awoo.

Your Unanswered Sonic Questions

Person

16 hours ago, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

I don't think there's any canonical proof in the games universe that they returned to the Master Emerald. It probably makes more sense to say they ascended to the afterlife or something. I personally like to think they still have a powerful link to the Master Emerald that they can make use of if need be, they're just no longer imprisoned within it.

Chaos did appear in Battle for some reason, and both are in Runners (headcanon: Battle's "Chaos" was the evil STC version of the character)

Didn't they say that Chaos appears in times of great crisis or something? I've (unfortunately) never played the game.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

Didn't they say that Chaos appears in times of great crisis or something? I've (unfortunately) never played the game.

:o:o:o 

Fucking great game for the GBA. A true classic, even if it is based on the Modern line.  

Also, yes. That's exactly what Knuckles said during the last episode. Don't know where he was before, probably chilling with the Chao and Tikal in Spirit World or something.

Will we ever see Silver and/or Blaze in a main series game again?

What's with Shadow? Is he still an agent of Eggman's like in the Sonic Rivals games (i.e. the last time Shadow was important)

Will we get more 2D or 3D games in the future?

10 hours ago, FireBird75 said:

What's with Shadow? Is he still an agent of Eggman's like in the Sonic Rivals games (i.e. the last time Shadow was important)

Will we get more 2D or 3D games in the future?

1) Probably. There's no way of telling when or how often but unless they've been shelved like half the cast, which is doubtful, but there's still hope for them.

2) Shadow does whatever the hell Shadow wants. He's not working for Eggman tho.

3) Again, there's no real way for anyone to answer this. We can speculate it will be 3D since that's the main function of the Modern games but who knows whether or not they'll explode with 2D games even if it is highly doubtful.

You guys should only ask questions that have definite answers. We're not SEGA reps, we're just consumers of several parts of the franchise.

8 hours ago, FireBird75 said:

I think there would have to be a very good reason, plotwise, for Silver. You'd have to completely reinvent his playstyle, and it's a problem that doesn't necessarily need to be solved - We have a surplus of fast characters, let alone fast hedgehogs, so why not use Knuckles, Tails, Shadow, Espio, Metal Sonic, or Blaze instead? They can all move pretty fast. Silver, for better or worse, is emblematic of 06, so he also carries that stigma for the wider public.

If you have a slow character amongst a fast cast, you drastically hinder your scope for level design. If Silver was in Unleashed, but as proportionally slower than Sonic as he was in 06, he would be unable to complete most of the levels without a surplus of boost rings, dash pads and springs. He's about as fast and mobile as the Werehog.

The moments gone, and SEGA would never dare make the same mistake again, but a Silver The Hedgehog game that plays something like Star Wars: The Force Unleashed would be the best way to utilise him. 

On the other hand, Blaze and her skillset can fit right into what modern Sonic does, and always has - her floaty physics would make a interesting counterpoint to the directness of Sonic, like in her Generations mod. 

• Thumbs Up 1

If Sonic likes chilidogs, and he saves the little cute woodland critters the little pigs, does that mean...

Also, how come the creatures Sonic saves look a lot different from other animals in the series? Are they baby animals?

4 hours ago, Dashman said:

If Sonic likes chilidogs, and he saves the little cute woodland critters the little pigs, does that mean...

Also, how come the creatures Sonic saves look a lot different from other animals in the series? Are they baby animals?

Yes, Sonic would rather see pigs between a warm set of buns than powering robots of mass destruction. Choosing between the lesser of two evils, or finding a third option, is what defines a person after all.

And the animal buddies are probably an entirely different species altogether. I guess the difference between the animal buddies and the anthros is the same as the difference between humans and monkeys. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 3/31/2016 at 9:53 AM, Dashman said:

Once Ken Penders explained this by claiming they were made of soybeans or "some form of seafood by-products" (source), albeit in what appears to be a semi-joking matter. Oh, Penders...a true American treasure.

Seriously, though, I just think there are both anthros and non-anthros in Sonic's world. Not only are the little animals that come from the robots semi-anthropomorphic at best, there's even more realistic animals like SA's orca and of course, everyone's favorite characters Hatsun the Pigeon and Pele the Dog.

• Thumbs Up 2

Ahem, that's Pele the Beloved Dog ;)

I watched too many Godzilla movies as a kid, so my headcanon was always that Sonic and Friends were a result of some radioactive mutations caused by nuclear testing, which explains why a hedgehog can break the sound barrier, a fox has mutated tails and genius intellect, and an echidna can glide through the air. Makes perfect sense...  

4 hours ago, Hyp3hat said:

Ahem, that's Pele the Beloved Dog ;)

I watched too many Godzilla movies as a kid, so my headcanon was always that Sonic and Friends were a result of some radioactive mutations caused by nuclear testing, which explains why a hedgehog can break the sound barrier, a fox has mutated tails and genius intellect, and an echidna can glide through the air. Makes perfect sense...  

Coincidentally, in the pre-boot Archie continuity, the anthros are a result of the gene-bombs from the Xorda messing with the DNA of the planet's animals in case anyone was wondering.  

18 hours ago, Stardust said:

How were the Chaos Emeralds created and where do they come from?

Why can Sonic channel their power?

The Chaos Emeralds seem to be mystical artefacts, rather than anything created by man, hog, or echidna. The shrine appears to have been found by the Echidnas, I guess - I read all the Archie comics in a binge two years ago, so I'm not prepared to wax lyrical about them, so I'm going off game continuity. Less Penders that way.

The Emerald's power seems to have been readily accessible by those who know what to do - The primitive Echidna society knew that they were powerful, and tried to seize that power, which implies they also knew how to use it. Shadow knows how to use Chaos Control almost instinctively, as does Sonic (I'm just going to leave the whole Tails-Somehow-Programmed-a-Fake-Emerald thing out of this). Even the shards of the Master Emerald emit energy, otherwise how do Knuckles and Rouge find them?

Robotnik also knows that the Emeralds have power (over the entire series, it shows that Robotnik probably took a mixture of History, Anthropology and Archaeology at University, with a module in Classics maybe), which is why he uses them to fuel his doomsday devices, and that's how Sonic knows they are powerful. Maybe the fact that the process to turn Super Sonic in the classic games is so banal - jump and press A, right, I suck at special stages - means that once the Emeralds are all together, the power they naturally emit is just so strong that Sonic bursts into his Super Form at the slightest provocation.... or near death experience. Not sure how to unpack 06 and Unleashed in this context.

I'm maybe biased by my own remembering of the Fleetway comics, where Sonic hated being around the Chaos Emeralds because they would inevitably turn him into Super Sonic, and he had no control over his Super form (man, are all the Sonic The Comics online somewhere? I need to read those again).

Anyway, there's my punt at it.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Hyp3hat said:

The Chaos Emeralds seem to be mystical artefacts, rather than anything created by man, hog, or echidna. The shrine appears to have been found by the Echidnas, I guess - I read all the Archie comics in a binge two years ago, so I'm not prepared to wax lyrical about them, so I'm going off game continuity. Less Penders that way.

The Emerald's power seems to have been readily accessible by those who know what to do - The primitive Echidna society knew that they were powerful, and tried to seize that power, which implies they also knew how to use it. Shadow knows how to use Chaos Control almost instinctively, as does Sonic (I'm just going to leave the whole Tails-Somehow-Programmed-a-Fake-Emerald thing out of this). Even the shards of the Master Emerald emit energy, otherwise how do Knuckles and Rouge find them?

Robotnik also knows that the Emeralds have power (over the entire series, it shows that Robotnik probably took a mixture of History, Anthropology and Archaeology at University, with a module in Classics maybe), which is why he uses them to fuel his doomsday devices, and that's how Sonic knows they are powerful. Maybe the fact that the process to turn Super Sonic in the classic games is so banal - jump and press A, right, I suck at special stages - means that once the Emeralds are all together, the power they naturally emit is just so strong that Sonic bursts into his Super Form at the slightest provocation.... or near death experience. Not sure how to unpack 06 and Unleashed in this context.

I'm maybe biased by my own remembering of the Fleetway comics, where Sonic hated being around the Chaos Emeralds because they would inevitably turn him into Super Sonic, and he had no control over his Super form (man, are all the Sonic The Comics online somewhere? I need to read those again).

Anyway, there's my punt at it.

WOW. That's a pretty comprehensive explanation. :o Thanks, man! ;)

I've begun re-reading the Archie comics as of lately and it's been loads of fun! I've just learned that something called the Genesis Wave happened and it supposedly resetted the Sonic Universe/Multiverse. That way, characters from the more recent games had a chance to appear, such as Blaze and Silver.

It's been a while since I first read the comics, so it seems there's a lot of catching up to do for me.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Stardust said:

I've begun re-reading the Archie comics as of lately and it's been loads of fun! I've just learned that something called the Genesis Wave happened and it supposedly resetted the Sonic Universe/Multiverse. That way, characters from the more recent games had a chance to appear, such as Blaze and Silver.

Yes, there was a reboot, but actually, Blaze and Silver appeared in the comics before the Super Genesis Wave happened. The real out-of-universe reason for the reset is actually legal issues involving ownership of some of the Archie-Sonic-exclusive characters; they decided it was for the best, legally speaking, to simply strip all characters of questionable ownership (which translates to "all the characters created by any writers other than the current ones") out of the comic entirely, and since this would cause so many changes, it was decided it was best to reboot the series entirely. If you want to know more about the legal reasons behind the reboot, look up Ken Penders and the Lara-Su Chronicles...if you really want to, it's kind of a mess! :P

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

Yes, there was a reboot, but actually, Blaze and Silver appeared in the comics before the Super Genesis Wave happened. The real out-of-universe reason for the reset is actually legal issues involving ownership of some of the Archie-Sonic-exclusive characters; they decided it was for the best, legally speaking, to simply strip all characters of questionable ownership (which translates to "all the characters created by any writers other than the current ones") out of the comic entirely, and since this would cause so many changes, it was decided it was best to reboot the series entirely. If you want to know more about the legal reasons behind the reboot, look up Ken Penders and the Lara-Su Chronicles...if you really want to, it's kind of a mess! :P

Thanks! I'll go do some research on Google now!

It's a pity legal issues are getting on the way of art. The comics have expanded the Sonic Universe greatly and have taken it much further than the games or the TV series. It saddens me to see this happening to them. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Someone once used the sonic cd cutscene to try to calculate it. The same person had a theory that to perform a sidestep would require some mad acceleration and speed due to diagonal direction. But he only proved that sonic can go faster than sound.

• Thumbs Up 1

How does sonic learn CHAOS CONTROL after only watching shadow.

I threw my controllerseeing how that was possible 

55 minutes ago, flaresakithasol said:

Well let's see, Sonic has clearly established a connection the Chaos Emeralds for a quite a while and Shadow can naturally use the Emerald's power with ease so I guess since (this is just an assumption) Sonic must've felt the presence of how Shadow used the Emerald's to make Chaos Control that he could possibly tap into that power too and he did because Sonic already gained a connection to the Emeralds because he can go Super. 

That's how I see it, now if you were to ask me how SILVER can use Chaos Control then I have no clue.

2 hours ago, sansy said:

Well let's see, Sonic has clearly established a connection the Chaos Emeralds for a quite a while and Shadow can naturally use the Emerald's power with ease so I guess since (this is just an assumption) Sonic must've felt the presence of how Shadow used the Emerald's to make Chaos Control that he could possibly tap into that power too and he did because Sonic already gained a connection to the Emeralds because he can go Super. 

That's how I see it, now if you were to ask me how SILVER can use Chaos Control then I have no clue.

It was strongly implied that Silver has that same connection to the Chaos Emeralds.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Stardust said:

Where does Sonic live?

Sonic is a hobo free-spirited traveler who wanders around, never staying in one place for too long. Or maybe he lives in Emerald Town from Sonic Battle...who knows?

• Thumbs Up 5

On 29/04/2016 at 0:17 AM, flaresakithasol said:

I assume he thought "fuck it, I'm gonna die if I don't try it, so I might as well" and just happened to pull it off because he's Sonic.

• 2 weeks later...

In the Archie Sonic comics, what is the deal with Monkey Khan's cloud, exactly? I mean, I get that he's a cyborg and has weird powers, but how does being a cyborg give you the ability to conjure up a cloud-like object that can support your weight and fly without any clearly visible means of propulsion? I mean, anything is possible in a series with as many weird things as Sonic, but I still wonder how it works, or what inspired Robotnik to include that feature as opposed to, I don't know, a jet pack or something. Has there ever been any attempt of an explanation or elaboration? It just kinda feels like it only exists to rip-off make a reference to Dragon Ball.