Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

I think the main problem is the refusal to acknowledge the absolute positivities of certain games. For example, I've seen Unleashed's worldbuilding not getting put on the pedestal that it deserves to be on especially in light of the latter two games not having anywhere near even an ounce of that level of detail. It's as if us Unleashed fans are treated like we can't hold an objective view of the game because we value what it offers and value the care that went into it under the pretense that somehow, gameplay is vastly more important than everything else. To me, it isn't, because I value Sonic games that are balanced in what they portray and worldbuilding is important to me because I find that the world the games are set in is immensely interesting and endearing.

When I've made my views known in the Colours vs Unleashed thread, my love for both games and objectivity compels me to view them in a balanced way, call out their weaknesses and praise their positivities. With me, it's not so much 'calling out shit' on Generations and Colours and Unleashed because I love those games, it's more a case of judging them with a analytical and unbiased viewpoint.

Well people do love to accentuate the negatives of something, which is pretty damn sad honestly.

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well people do love to accentuate the negatives of something, which is pretty damn sad honestly.

Guilty as charged of doing this. Although honestly, I never feel like I'm actually being critical if I don't notice the negatives. I often end up feeling like I'm shilling the game if I don't at least acknowledge weak points.

Edited by 743-E.D. Missile

I'd take it more seriously if any of it actually survived past the one game.

It did to an extent. In Generations' Rooftop Run, multiple countries flags are shown around the university and the levels settings include multiple aspects of the stages such as the cellars and clock that Werehog traverses in Classic's version and the aqueducts and clock tower in Modern's. Generations was great in that it took the differing level aspects of the original Rooftop Run and the way the surroundings often change throughout the level and used them in an endearing fashion. To me at least. It gave me the impression of a wonderfully varied level.

Unleashed had a lot of detail and Easter Egg's but these are ignored because of the Werehog.

I stick by this opinion because to be honest, I find it very true. The Werehog sucked for sure, I'm not going to argue there but there were a lot of nifty things loaded into the game that were overlooked because of everybody complaining about the Werehog. Here is an example of some of the nifty things.

• Thumbs Up 2

But that's the thing isn't it? Something you consider a major positive might be something another person doesn't care about/thinks is a negative.

Than if that's the case than they're not viewing from an objective viewpoint, which during debates people should be doing the majority of the time. If you're stating the facts, it saves a lot of time and unnecessary "back and forths" that don't really add discussion value.

Edited by /_JXJ_\

It did to an extent. In Generations' Rooftop Run, multiple countries flags are shown around the university and the levels settings include multiple aspects of the stages such as the cellars and clock that Werehog traverses in Classic's version and the aqueducts and clock tower in Modern's. Generations was great in that it took the differing level aspects of the original Rooftop Run and the way the surroundings often change throughout the level and used them in an endearing fashion. To me at least. It gave me the impression of a wonderfully varied level.

But that's just Generations, a game specifically about looking back at the series' past. That aside, I'd be willing to bet money that, like nearly everything in the series, it will literally never come up again.

Than if that's the case than they're not viewing from an objective viewpoint, which during debates people should be doing the majority of the time.

What is objective though? Can we really say what objective is? The definition changes from person to person, which just brings us back to my previous point. 

Honestly I don't think there's such a thing as objective unless you're looking at a fact that you can't really debate. 

Guilty as charged of doing this. Although honestly, I never feel like I'm actually being critical if I don't notice the negatives. I often end up feeling like I'm shilling the game if I don't at least acknowledge weak points.

There's nothing wrong with pointing out the flaws of something, it's called criticism. Without it we wouldn't know what to improve on.

Than if that's the case than they're not viewing from an objective viewpoint, which during debates people should be doing the majority of the time. If you're stating the facts, it saves a lot of time and unnecessary "back and forths" that don't really add discussion value.

It's not really a discussion if all we're doing is stating facts and nothing more.  It's all about how an individual interprets the facts, and the discussion comes from multiple parties voicing their opinions.

• Thumbs Up 1

What is objective though? Can we really say what objective is? The definition changes from person to person, which just brings us back to my previous point. 

Honestly I don't think there's such a thing as objective unless you're looking at a fact that you can't really debate. 

An OBJECTIVELY good game is captivating and holds the majority's interest for positive reasons, has few glitches, great control, fitting music, and technologically competent aesthetics and progression with well executed gameplay.

It's not really a discussion if all we're doing is stating facts and nothing more.  It's all about how an individual interprets the facts, and the discussion comes from multiple parties voicing their opinions.

When you put it like this, I can see where you're coming from.

But the thing is, a lot of those aspects are, again, subjective. Different people may be captivated by different games, some people may think music is fitting while some people may think it's not, and well executed gameplay will always be up for debate. Good control can be also up for debate. Honestly the only thing that you can really say is "objective" there is the technical competence of the aesthetics and the glitches, and even then sometimes a great artstyle can make up for that (not the glitches, the technical competence of the aesthetics). You use these things yet none of them will be the same for each person.   

Edited by Generations (Chaos Warp)

How can good control be up for debate. You may not LIKE the gameplay, but you can't say it's broken. That's not subjective.

How can good control be up for debate. You may not LIKE the gameplay, but you can't say it's broken. That's not subjective.

It can be in some ways. For example, some people may have been fine with Jerk-Turn Sonic from SA1 and SA2 because they adapted and didn't have a problem controlling him, but some people (myself included) thought it was too twitchy and preferred how his turning arcs at higher speeds in the Modern games. 

Like this:

I can say Sonic controls like a bar of soap and that's terrible for how Sonic Unleashed is designed.

Someone else can say that the looseness (hell some might not even perceive it as "loose") in how Sonic controls is beneficial for how Sonic Unleashed is designed.

Both are valid viewpoints even though I may not personally agree with the latter.

Edited by Nix
  • Thumbs Up 4

I guess I'll take that answer. Although what is the big point of arguing if at the end of the day, people can just say "well it's my opinion or view on the matter?" There really was no point in the first place....

I guess I'll take that answer. Although what is the big point of arguing if at the end of the day, people can just say "well it's my opinion or view on the matter?" There really was no point in the first place....

I'd have to guess no one likes to feel like they are in the wrong, even if it's just self-perceived.

EDIT: and what Generations said.

Edited by 743-E.D. Missile

Because debating can be fun and engaging?

• Thumbs Up 2

Well, discussions help broaden viewpoints.  I may never agree with an opposing viewpoint, but I still care to know why people may hold such a radically different opinion than me.

Sometimes it's just fun talking and arguing about things though.

• Thumbs Up 4

May as close the forum with this logic.

I know what you're trying to say, and to answer for real; it's to learn different viewpoints and form new opinions and ideas from them. Debating makes us think about thing we probably never bothered to before, and is really the basis for any social interaction.

• Thumbs Up 4

Yeah I know about the whole fun engaging thing. In the sonic fanbase I sometimes just forget about the fun part.:P Still I guess that can be fun and engaging. And getting to know the other side is a logical reason. But what isn't subjective then in this case?

Sonic is blue, he runs fast, his BFF is Tails. What isn't subjective is fact honestly.

• Thumbs Up 1

Speaking of Trolls, Nack the Weasel would be perfect for that role of fucking with characters. I mean, think about it, secondary antagonist, can work on his own or with Eggman, more than willing to backstab someone for the slightest increase in pay, and can be a pain in the ass.

It'd be a question of whether that character would be likable for being such a jerkass, but I think it can be done.

Let's be honest here. What was Knuckles but this in almost all of his first appearance? He came off as an obnoxious trolling red dude who was always detonating bombs, dropping boulders on you, or setting off some trap or another. He was, in the politest sense of the term, a complete douche and yet he's very well beloved regardless.

So it's very possible to have the lovable jerkass, I think. Sonic himself even fits under this in some characterisations, especially his classic era renditions.

Unpopular opinion: The Storybook games had crap stories and lame characterization, to me. They just... bored me in so many aspects. I honestly can't see their appeal, as if the premise isn't stupid enough the core content is just weird in a few areas, and the characters are so bland. I feel like they flanderized the heroic aspect of Sonic's personality to the point where he just wasn't interesting.

...or even more uninteresting if you're like that.

Is it "running to the space elevator time" again?

Edited by Starscream

Unpopular opinion: The Storybook games had crap stories and lame characterization, to me. They just... bored me in so many aspects. I honestly can't see their appeal, as if the premise isn't stupid enough the core content is just weird in a few areas, and the characters are so bland. I feel like they flanderized the heroic aspect of Sonic's personality to the point where he just wasn't interesting.

Well, while I didn't mind the characterisation as much in Black Knight, the story was pretty by the numbers and the dilemma at the end wasn't really as big as the game made it out to be. 

But yes, get your Yakety Sax ready. 

Man, Verte's gonna skin you alive.

Unpopular Opinion: I didn't find 06 as offensively bad as everyone else did playing it. Oh don't get me wrong, it's a terrible game through and through, but I remember having an odd type of fun with it when playing it at 13. Even looking back, I can't say I outright hate the game, I mean I hate it's effect on the franchise but overall, it had some type of charm to it. It's a guilty pleasure for me basically.