Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

I do wish there was more special stage variety instead of just seven of the same on rails running.

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh wow, is that true? I never noticed that.

Yep. I never noticed this until my cousin pointed it out to me a couple of years ago when I asked as to why he always plays as Sonic alone when playing Sonic 2.

I do like the Sonic 2-based Special Stages a lot. I think my favourite of the bunch is the one in Rush (+ Colours DS too, I guess). I hear the one in Rush Adventure is at least decent too but I haven't played that game yet, so I wouldn't know.

Blue Spheres might just be my fave Special Stage though, I always had a lot of fun with it.

Edited by elementofchaos

Know you what would be a good Special Stage concept? If each Special Stage was set up differently from the last.

• Thumbs Up 4

For what it's worth, Tails only loses the rings he picked up. The only way I can see him being a hindrance is if you're depending on him to get enough rings.

For what it's worth, Tails only loses the rings he picked up. The only way I can see him being a hindrance is if you're depending on him to get enough rings.

But he takes up so much space and is pretty much always right behind to the point where he picks up a great deal of the rings he collects, rather intentionally or not, are in good competition with the number of rings you collect.

Look, I really don't want to talk about this anymore. All I'm trying to say is that Tails isn't the nuisance people claim he is in Sonic 2.

Edited by ElectroKyurem

I'm not sure if I've said this before here, but here goes...

*Takes deep breath*

I think the Japanese Sonic CD soundtrack is the most overrated soundtrack in the entire franchise.

*Takes cover*

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm not sure if I've said this before here, but here goes...

*Takes deep breath*

I think the Japanese Sonic CD soundtrack is the most overrated soundtrack in the entire franchise.

*Takes cover*

Don't worry.  I actually prefer the American soundtrack to the European/Japanese soundtrack...

*joins in the taking cover*

Don't worry.  I actually prefer the American soundtrack to the European/Japanese soundtrack...

*joins in the taking cover*

Me too. I think the JP soundtrack tries too hard, making it very annoying and distracting for me.

Me too. I think the JP soundtrack tries too hard, making it very annoying and distracting for me.

Well, the Japanese soundtrack has some great songs here and there, but I just overall prefer the US version... even if some of the stages do remind me of A Pup Named Scooby-Doo.  You're right, though.  Some of the Japanese themes are kind of annoying to me, as well.

I prefer the US soundtrack too, though the Japanese one is good too.

The Japanese Special Stage theme is kind of irritating though, the whole DUH DUH DUH DUH, DUH DUH DUH DUH-DUH over and over and over again. The US Special Stage theme with it's bass and atmospheric sounding technoish thing is awesome.

• Thumbs Up 2

Know you what would be a good Special Stage concept? If each Special Stage was set up differently from the last.

Definitely supporting this. I'd like if each stage made good use of a particular skill, with the later stages using the whole enchilada and being a fair challenge.

Though really at this point we may as well make the stages ordinary ones but with an emerald instead of a goal ring. This is also easily incorporated into the overarching plot.

So now that I think about it special stages are really redundant unless we can find some way to change them up completely. And the idea of minigames will, well, not go over good. AT ALL. Minigames are standard practice in platformers but lord help you if you put one in a Sonic game.

On that note I'm going to come out and say I'm perfectly fine with alternate modes of play, provided they don't take over the core of the game. Adventure 2 had a novel idea with its varying styles but I think we've established running should be the solid core of most levels.

I think it was a bit of a silly choice for the SEGA Superstars/All-Stars series to change its name not only to include Sonic in the title but also to later fade out the Sega name to the point that the latest game in the franchise is just called "Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed". To me this is a bit embarrassing as a Sega fan because not only does it make it sound like Sonic is the only franchise they still make but it belittles all of their other franchises as well and shows they don't have any faith in promoting the other IP's they own IMO.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think it was a bit of a silly choice for the SEGA Superstars/All-Stars series to change its name not only to include Sonic in the title but also to later fade out the Sega name to the point that the latest game in the franchise is just called "Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed". To me this is a bit embarrassing as a Sega fan because not only does it make it sound like Sonic is the only franchise they still make but it belittles all of their other franchises as well and shows they don't have any faith in promoting the other IP's they own IMO.

To be fair, SEGA's done a pretty poor job of promoting their non-Sonic franchises. Whereas Nintendo for example can fall back on numerous big franchises, and medium ones on top of that, SEGA hasn't been so fortunate.

However, that's not to say they can't change that. The All Stars titles have likely assisted at least somewhat in promoting their other franchises. Perhaps some day in the future, with sufficient marketing, the concept of the SEGA fan could become more common. Especially when gamers remember that platforming was the core of gaming, not the FPS madness we've got in modern years.

The shift to the plain All Stars title also opens the gates to third party characters, which can fetch a pretty penny and make some wonderful partnerships. Rather than try and start their own racing game, other companies will gladly arrange some sort of deal with SEGA to insert one of their characters in the game instead. It benefits both parties at minimal extra cost.

I don't get all the hate for Sonic Advance 3, I think it's an awesome game and definitely among the best handheld games in the series! It's like the SMB2J of the Sonic franchise; the constant deaths and seemingly frustrating zone design clearly indicate that this game was engineered for expert Sonic players. After countless retries of falling into bottomless pits every two minutes, running into spike traps every 30 seconds, and numerous other instances of trial and error, I felt extremely accomplished when I finished this game. It's great that Sega experimented with such design philosphy that wasn't common in other 2D Sonic games at the time, but is now!

*cringes*

• Thumbs Up 4

I don't get all the hate for Sonic Advance 3, I think it's an awesome game and definitely among the best handheld games in the series! 

Where the fuck is Tornado for this?

• Thumbs Up 1

I think Advance 3 is the best of the Advance trilogy. The others are just eh. 

Again, not an April Fools.

All right, hold the phone. Who said Advance 3 was awesome? Okay, I won't go as far as saying it's the worst game in the franchise, but I do think it's lacking in many departments. For me, the whole hub world thing was a huge turn off the second I played and it confused me since the previous 2 titles went from stage to stage. Also, the whole partner thing is nice, but to me it's not executed well enough and the tutorial is beyond useless. "Press the tag action button to call your partner" doesn't help when I don't have the manual, Omochao. The level design is just beyond horrible with tons of cheap crushing blocks and poorly placed enemies. Not to mention the chao hunting was just abysmal. I'm not even done yet. The control is by far the worse in the Advance series. For no reason, the characters are now slowed down quite a bit from Advance 2, we don't have the bounce attack, homing attack, or insta-shield (or twin spin attack as it's now called in Generations). I do like how you can still do tricks when you go off a ramp, but the delay is just terrible. In Advance 2, the second I pushed the button, it responded, now because the same button is used for your partner, there is a delay that messes you up constantly and doesn't let you perform the move you want to at the exact moment. And I don't know why, but many times Tails would just suddenly glue to Sonic for no reason. I wasn't holding down the button but what do I see? Sonic carrying Tails for no reason whatsoever. Things like this are the reason I hate this game so much. Granted, it's not as bad as, say Labyrinth or 3D Blast, but it still is really bad. Maybe this is just me looking it as the 3rd entry in the series that it is and that it should improve upon the last game, but it just doesn't. The only positives I've found are that the bosses are now better designed and the music is quite good for GBA standards. But if that's all the good stuff this game has, then I can't really like it all that much. Sorry guys, but I just don't see the appeal in this game. 

Edited by lefteri001
  • Thumbs Up 3

EDIT: Nevermind, my mistake.

I suppose I ought to think of another opinion since this is now a meaningless post otherwise. Okay, well, relating to my viewpoint on the other villains... I think even Black Doom is better than Eggman Nega.

Edited by Dr. Crusher

Which means popular opinions are allowed as well, right?

Of course, as long as you state that you agree or disagree with it, and maybe give reasons. 

I'll admit I haven't completed Advance 3 all the way through, but I thought it was an okay game.  Was it the best of the series?  No.  Was it the best of the Advance series?  No.  But it was still fun, in my opinion.  It had some fairly decent level design and while the hub worlds weren't very well executed, I liked that they were included.  It was nice to get a break before immediately moving on to the boss.  The partner system wasn't perfect, but I think it was well executed enough.  It didn't take too long to get the hang of it.  You can treat it as either a weak or a strong point that there's really no need to even experiment with each team, though, since you can get through most of the levels fine with any team to my recollection.  I'm a bit mixed on that, but I liked clearing the story with just Sonic and Tails.

Plus, the soundtrack is great but that's not enough to fix the faults that are in the game, and there are many don't get me wrong.  But it doesn't make it unplayable.  It's a fun game, in my opinion.  That's about it.