Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

I've possibly mentioned this in this topic already but I FRIKKIN' LOVE all three Jaleel cartoons. AoStH is by far the best IMO. It's just awesome, great recurring characters, zany plots, just a lot of fun. SatAM's great but a little too serious at times and a few episodes are a little too samey. Sonic Undergrounds a good mix between the two, it's got the "serious" satam story but with a few fun elements of aosth, and the songs are pretty good a lot of the time.

I don't think you'll find many who'd consider SatAM or AoStH bad. Pretty much all the fans I know consider at least one of them a nostalgic classic.

Now Underground, on the other hand... the theme just seems a bit sudden and bizarre. Siblings, a band, Sonic being a prince, etc.

I take a guilty pleasure in it as well.

Eggman, I guess they did fix him a bit.

I consider that an understatement. For the first time since Sonic 2, he's been the main AND final bad guy for two main games in a row. Rather than continuing down his usual path of idiocy where he awakens some creature (a trend that lasted 8 years) that turns against him.

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I consider that an understatement. For the first time since Sonic 2, he's been the main AND final bad guy for two main games in a row. Rather than continuing down his usual path of idiocy where he awakens some creature (a trend that lasted 8 years) that turns against him.

Having monsters constantly turn against him is a fair point, but that I blame on the writing rather than on Eggman's actions. "His usual path" is perfectly valid and entirely Eggman-like; they just need to stop having the monster go rogue every time and have more of Eggman twisting their power to his will.

• Thumbs Up 1

Because Sonic 2's final boss doesn't have Super Sonic in it. I suppose Sonic Colours doesn't feel like a Sonic game to you either.

Well then I apologize for my mistake. I never was much of a fan of the Sonic Games before Adventure, so I really don't know much about them. ^^"

But, I really didn't care much for Sonic Colors, it was a good game and all, SEGA was totally heading in the right direction for some of the fans. I just don't count it as one of my Top Sonic Games of all time, ya know? It would have been great to have a Super Sonic boss fight at the end of the game, when I beat it the first time and there was no Super Sonic, I thought I didn't actually beat the entire story, but I thought "What else could be left?", but it turned out that Super Sonic wasn't in the FInal Boss fight, which was a total bummer, to me anyways.

Not saying that it's a total let down to not have Super Sonic in a Final Boss fight for every Sonic Fan. Personally, I really enjoy having Super Sonic in the Final Boss, but if he's not there, then it doesn't feel like a true final boss to me. There haven't even really been that many Sonic games without Super Sonic in the final boss (Excluding the Storybook Series). I guess my view of all this is because I didn't start to love Sonic until Sonic Heores came out, then I just went to the Sonic Adventure Series, and all of those have Super Sonic in the Final Bosses, so I guess that's how my view was made. 

I don't really understand the need to have a Super Sonic boss fight be the final boss. It doesn't test the skills you've developed during the game, it just throws some new shit at you and you're just flying around space attacking a big vague monster thing. They're also often the worst parts of the game, especially Dark Gaia in Unleashed or even Generations' Time Eater.

It worked so well in 3&K because it was the post-final boss, just another challenge before you win, to show how determined Eggman was. After a four part boss fight in Death Egg, he then flees and there's another two parts there.

My favourite Super boss fight in 3D is actually either Perfect Chaos in Adventure (I prefer the Generations version though) or Metal Overlord in Heroes, mostly for using similar control schemes to the rest of the game. I also love What I'm Made Of and all the boss banter Metal and Team Sonic have. It's a really dumb idea to transform him into a big dragon thing but fucking hell I thought it was cool despite this. And how Super Sonic sounds significantly more aggressive than normal Sonic in Heroes, I wish they'd bring it back.

Edited by Semi-colon e
  • Thumbs Up 9

Popular Opinions

Agreed: "Sonic the Hedgehog (SatAM) is the best Sonic tv show."

Yeah it is. Great animation and great writing made this show not only a great "Sonic show" but a good tv show altogether.

Disagreed: "The HD verison of Sonic Unleashed is much better than the Wii/PS2 version."

Not really. I prefer the HD version but both versions are about even when it comes to overall quality.

Unpopular Opinions:

Agreed: "Sonic 3D Blast is pretty good."

I actually enjoyed this game.  I found that the controls were ok, the levels were interesting, and music was very good (for both versions).  It's not one of the better Sonic games but I didn't hate it.  I overall enjoyed what I played.

Disagreed: "Sonic Colors is overrated."

Not a chance.  I'm sorry but both versions of this game were awesome!  The gameplay was sweet, the levels were designed well, the wisps were interesting and lot a fun to use, that graphics are amazing, the music (as expected) was top-notch, the voice acting was great, and the story (while simple) was very enjoyable and very humorous (Sonic and friends could use a laugh after the stuff they've been through over the years). I can understand someone not liking (provided they give a good reason) but come on don't call the game something it's not.

Having monsters constantly turn against him is a fair point, but that I blame on the writing rather than on Eggman's actions. "His usual path" is perfectly valid and entirely Eggman-like; they just need to stop having the monster go rogue every time and have more of Eggman twisting their power to his will.

So like the time eater basically. Just with more....everything.:P

Yes, that's a fair point. Eggman's just acting perfectly in character and searching for some means to win... though it really does show why he should stick to creating his own monstrosities. Or at least have them in pairs so he can have them check eachother.

The Time Eater was refreshing since for the first time the abomination he unleashed didn't hand him his egg on a platter and send him flying into space.

Popular Opinions

Agreed: "Sonic the Hedgehog (SatAM) is the best Sonic tv show."

Yeah it is. Great animation and great writing made this show not only a great "Sonic show" but a good tv show altogether.

Disagreed: "The HD verison of Sonic Unleashed is much better than the Wii/PS2 version."

Not really. I prefer the HD version but both versions are about even when it comes to overall quality.

Unpopular Opinions:

Agreed: "Sonic 3D Blast is pretty good."

I actually enjoyed this game.  I found that the controls were ok, the levels were interesting, and music was very good (for both versions).  It's not one of the better Sonic games but I didn't hate it.  I overall enjoyed what I played.

Disagreed: "Sonic Colors is overrated."

Not a chance.  I'm sorry but both versions of this game were awesome!  The gameplay was sweet, the levels were designed well, the wisps were interesting and lot a fun to use, that graphics are amazing, the music (as expected) was top-notch, the voice acting was great, and the story (while simple) was very enjoyable and very humorous (Sonic and friends could use a laugh after the stuff they've been through over the years). I can understand someone not liking (provided they give a good reason) but come on don't call the game something it's not.

The atmosphere was MUCH more believable in HD, Hubs were more interactive and enjoyable in HD and made the NPC's come to life as well as has Empire city and it's amazing npc's,music and visuals. I'd personally put HD miles ahead Unwiished for those reasons alone.

I honestly don't understand how you can say the HD versions and the Wii/PS2 versions of Unleashed are equal in terms of quality when the latter suffers from not only horrid controls and a presentation so lackluster that it appears on even terms with a slideshow.  Like, okay, I can understand taking a minimalistic approach to compensate for the Wii's inferior graphical capabilities, but when you have literally nothing on the screen but a character talking to reveal exposition, then that's pretty bad.  Granted, I'm not talking about that style of cutscenes in the vein of the Rush games.  It's literally just an overblown image of Chip, as an example, talking and providing exposition.  It's the bare minimum of what you might call a cutscene.

I can also understand that they'd omit the hub worlds as well, but reducing it to a point-and-click game was a terrible way to try to implement them in anyway, and it was only made worse by the fact that there was no exploration or anything.  You just went where you were told.  I guess it was a bit of a mercy on their part that you don't have to actually read the text to know where you're supposed to go, but really.  There's no need to have about one-third of the game devoted to clicking around in circles until you're finally allowed to play the next stage.  You might as well just travel to one spot on the globe and then have a cutscene explaining what happens.

So yeah, I can understand if you were to say something like "the HD versions aren't that much more enjoyable" or "the Wii/PS2 versions aren't that bad by comparison," but I honestly don't understand how from an objective standpoint they are even remotely equal in quality.  If you ask me, they're about as equal as the Genesis games and their Game Gear counterparts.  I'm not labeling either version as inferior, just radically different.  But eh, that's just me.

Edited by Akito
  • Thumbs Up 1

The atmosphere was MUCH more believable in HD, Hubs were more interactive and enjoyable in HD and made the NPC's come to life as well as has Empire city and it's amazing npc's,music and visuals. I'd personally put HD miles ahead Unwiished for those reasons alone.

I understand all that.  It's why I lean toward the HD version.  I just wrote how I felt.  I get how the HD version is most preferred but I also understand why the Wii/PS2 version got better ratings.

I understand all that.  It's why I lean toward the HD version.  I just wrote how I felt.  I get how the HD version is most preferred but I also understand why the Wii/PS2 version got better ratings.

i seriously cannot think of that many reasons as to why aside from the usual "it's on a Nintendo console" thing, so if you could explain how that'd be nice.

I consider that an understatement. For the first time since Sonic 2, he's been the main AND final bad guy for two main games in a row.

Da fuq? I think you forgot Sonic 3&K bro...

Da fuq? I think you forgot Sonic 3&K bro...

Huh. I guess I did. I was only thinking about Sonic 3, my bad.

Either way the point stands. It's an accomplishment at this point that he's actually a villain and not ending up second place to Monster of the Week.

Shame Sega changed gears, we could have seen Eggman being overthrown by the giant chocolate fudge cookie monster!

I like the level design better in the SD versions.

Heck I had Sonic Unleashed for my PS2 and I thought it was okay.

went to Sonic Unleashed 360, awesome graphics boost and such, grew tired of it quickly.

went back to my PS2, the levels seem much more fun to me.

lol wut.

i seriously cannot think of that many reasons as to why aside from the usual "it's on a Nintendo console" thing, so if you could explain how that'd be nice.

*sigh* It's like people don't know that wikipedia exist.  The added element of motion control for the Werehog sections, text-based hub worlds, better Werehog level design, and camera system were reasons cited for better reviews scores for the Wii/PS2 version of the game.

Take from that however you want.

Not sure where my opinions fit in but here we go.

I really enjoy Amy Palent, who was the 4Kids voice actress for Tails. I personally thought the voice fit very well for Tails. I will agree that the actual acting could have been better, but I generally feel she was a great choice.

As for the current cast of the Sonic franchise, I feel that they are the best set of VAs the series has ever had, especially Roger Craig Smith and Kate Higgins, who's an even better Tails. They're very talented VAs.

This last one I know is an unpopular opinion which is that I really got some enjoyment out of Sonic and the Secret Rings. I really enjoyed playing the 7 main stages, not so much the missions. The chemistry between Sonic and Shahra just made the story much more entertaining to me. Of all the Wii Sonic titles, I'd put it in 2nd. Sonic Colors is obviously the best Wii Sonic title.

Edited by canderson
  • Thumbs Up 4

*sigh* It's like people don't know that wikipedia exist.  The added element of motion control for the Werehog sections, text-based hub worlds, better Werehog level design, and camera system were reasons cited for better reviews scores for the Wii/PS2 version of the game.

Take from that however you want.

And most of those reasons I find myself *surprisingly* not agreeing with. Motion control got old and annoying VERY quickly if you ask me and was just there to be there. The hub worlds IMO were pretty balls. I don't know about you, but in a game about traveling the world, i'd like to explore the environment and get to know the people. not to mention click text hubs just felt super lazy and generic for Sega.(an god having to tak to one person, then talk to another, then go back and finally talk to someone else to get the tablet was annoying), level design....meh. That I'd say HD wins. it feels smoother and the levels are shorter. Honestly Most of those reviews I found hilarious. they just seemed to like Wii more cause it was on the Wii. And considering Sega's luck with nintendo consoles, it was bound to be the favorite.

Ehh, this is all subjective though, but quality wise, hands down it's a fact that HD wins.:P

Edited by X.A.N.A

I've seen many people say that the Sonic 3 Special Stages are the best, but I don't see it. I just find them really boring honestly. They're still better than the ones in Sonic 2 though.

I love the Sonic 3 special stages for two reasons; I actually knew what I was doing unlike Sonic 1's Special Stage, and it was legitimately fun for me, unlike Sonic Heroes's Special Stages, and locking on to Sonic 1 gives you a lot more special stages. :3

I love the Sonic 3 special stages for two reasons; I actually knew what I was doing unlike Sonic 1's Special Stage, and it was legitimately fun for me, unlike Sonic Heroes's Special Stages, and locking on to Sonic 1 gives you a lot more special stages. :3

I'll agree with you that Sonic 3's special stages were quite memorable, but the main reason I don't like them as much as I do the ones in CD and Sonic 1 is because I don't really get a feel of challenge from them. Any challenge I do rarely get from them comes from being lost in some of the extra Lock on blue sphere stages, or even occasionally one of the 14 ones in S3&K. Since Sonic feels so limited on that 3D plane he's in, it's just a simple thing of knowing when to turn left, right, and when to jump. I haven't played much of Heroes I admit, but from what little I played of the special stages in that game, I didn't like them either.

Oh and you definitely get more special stages with Sonic 1's lock on.approximately 134,217,728 more according to Sonic Retro. 

Edited by McGroose

Despite the whole "boost to win" thing, Speed Highway is one of my favourite levels in Generations as BOTH Sonics. I also love the visuals (some of the best visuals in any Sonic level), the soundtracks, and the ridiculous shortcuts and alternate paths there are.  Jumping around a shopping mall with club-ish music playing in the background causing property damage or grabbing onto a rocket you've just let go of to take an insane shortcut is really cool.

And the morning sky as the dawn comes round in Modern's stage? Legitimately beautiful. I don't really care much about the loss of the "At Dawn" section, as I wanted more of the crazy highway stuff in the original Speed Highway anyway. The building run doesn't have the tension of the original's, though.

Edited by Semi-colon e

"Sonic is a shameless Gary Stu"

Whoever calls Sonic a Gary Stu has neither no grasp of what the term actually means, has no consideration for what Sonic's role as the main protagonist and character entails nor has actually played any games in which this notion is torn apart i.e Black Knight in which Sonic's incompetent swordplay is brought-up and mocked by multiple characters and in which he shows character flaws such as obstinance and arrogance.

Edited by Vertekins
  • Thumbs Up 5

"Sonic is a shameless Gary Stu"

Whoever calls Sonic a Gary Stu has neither no grasp of what the term actually means, has no consideration for what Sonic's role as the main protagonist and character entails nor has actually played any games in which this notion is torn apart i.e Black Knight in which Sonic's incompetent swordplay is brought-up and mocked by multiple characters and in which he shows character flaws such as obstinance and arrogance.

Well, looking at it from a more balanced POV, the main problem is that Sonic is rarely placed in situations where his personality traits would actually hold him back from success, or is placed in situations where everything ends up being tailored to put him in the "Always Right in the End" category. It's not that he's a Gary Stu, but that the situations rarely push his character to his limits, and thus he APPEARS to be too flawless as a result.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well, looking at it from a more balanced POV, the main problem is that Sonic is rarely placed in situations where his personality traits would actually hold him back from success, or is placed in situations where everything ends up being tailored to put him in the "Always Right in the End" category. It's not that he's a Gary Stu, but that the situations rarely push his character to his limits, and thus he APPEARS to be too flawless as a result.

I agree with this. But that still doesn't make him out as a Stu.

I do like instances such as Sonic leaping before looking and/or being so concerned with talking down to people that he gets taken advantage of such as in SA2's capsule scene and in Unleashed's intro. Would like to see more situations like that.

• Thumbs Up 1