Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

This might be a controversial one but I don't find Sonic and Elise's relationship creepy. Don't get me wrong I don't want them together and I'm glad it was just for one game but a lot of folk seem to be almost disgusted by it.

I just accept it as a plot idea more prevalent in japan than in the west, it's featured in quite a few things over there. 

Also let's not forget that having a human girlfriend was written into the series from the start, nobody really bothers with madonna

732351-madonna.jpg

There's also been a few examples of human/anthro pairings inwestern media but it's never really bothered anyone, is it just weird because it's sonic?

tumblr_lgzb2lfKtI1qdgqnho1_500.jpg

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Gex isn't exactly like Sonic. For one, it's a more adult brand, so people allow it to get away with more things. For another, it's played more as a joke than anything else.

I don't hate Sonic/Elise in the same way most people do either, mind, but these are things that need to be accounted for. 

Also let's not forget that having a human girlfriend was written into the series from the start, nobody really bothers with madonna

Yeah, because SEGA didn't even bother with Madonna.

For another, it's played more as a joke than anything else.

This is what makes the difference to me. Gex is basically 100% dumb jokes and references, and he's just being a James Bond parody at that point; we aren't meant to take the relationship between a gecko and a human seriously. And Madonna, that was back when the series was (going to be) more unashamedly cartoony.

But '06 tries so hard to be Serious Business and deal with Elise's Very Serious Issues and build a Very Serious Relationship between her and Sonic that it can't (and isn't supposed to be) taken as a joke...and that's when it gets a little uncomfortable.

• Thumbs Up 8

This might be a controversial one but I don't find Sonic and Elise's relationship creepy. Don't get me wrong I don't want them together and I'm glad it was just for one game but a lot of folk seem to be almost disgusted by it.

I just accept it as a plot idea more prevalent in japan than in the west, it's featured in quite a few things over there. 

The Madonna Idea was scraped, so nobody really had a need to complain about it....

And it's also the fact that Sonic 06 expected us to take Sonic and Elise's relationship seriously, which IS pretty creepy....

Whereas the Sonic and Madonna thing (If it did end up going down that route) would have been done mainly for laughs, like Roger and Jessica Rabbit.

The same applies with Gex.

• Thumbs Up 1

Plus, Madonna was going to be served as a 'damsel in distress' archetype and pretty much be the Sonic equivalent of Princess Peach, which was another reason why she was scrapped because it would be viewed as Sega ripping off Super Mario Bros.

Gex isn't exactly like Sonic. For one, it's a more adult brand, so people allow it to get away with more things. For another, it's played more as a joke than anything else.

I don't hate Sonic/Elise in the same way most people do either, mind, but these are things that need to be accounted for. 

Yeah I see your point, couldn't think of anything else at the time though :P It was early

I really enjoyed Sonic Shuffle. I know it got a lot of hate but multiplayer with friends was a real barrel of fun. I've played a lot of the Mario partys as well and I know they are similar but regardless despite the poor reviews it got I liked Sonic Shuffle, still do :]  

• Thumbs Up 1

I liked Tails' voice in Heroes. He actually sounded like he was 8 in that game, rather than 12. In contrast, I really hated his voice in the Adventure games.

• Thumbs Up 1

As someone who doesn't see any problems with the general idea of a non-human trading saliva with a human, there's a difference when you take a cartoony character with a realistic one and portray it seriously than it would if you did them both realistically or cartoony.

I don't see the squick in an anthropomorphic character getting kissed by a human as far as the concept goes, but the execution is a different story. And I think you can already tell where I'll go with this...

"Sonic is a shameless Gary Stu"

Whoever calls Sonic a Gary Stu has neither no grasp of what the term actually means, has no consideration for what Sonic's role as the main protagonist and character entails nor has actually played any games in which this notion is torn apart i.e Black Knight in which Sonic's incompetent swordplay is brought-up and mocked by multiple characters and in which he shows character flaws such as obstinance and arrogance.

That doesn't exactly help when he is portrayed as more invincible of a character than he previously was. Back in the past, he had some struggle to him; now, he treats much of the stuff thrown at him off like it was nothing, even when Eggman makes a god his bitch.

I liked Tails' voice in Heroes. He actually sounded like he was 8 in that game, rather than 12. In contrast, I really hated his voice in the Adventure games.

The main downside to all these voices was he was actually voiced by a male. Since the cracking of the voice is far more drastic in males, it's understandable why they hire women to do Tails these days.

In the end it was a wise choice; we get a lot more voice stability now, whereas before we would have had to switch in very short intervals so as to keep him sounding like a young boy.

So as for those who supported the Sonic X and beyond Tails' voices, I have to agree; we no longer have to worry about biological considerations with Tails' voice, a definite plus.

I don't know many 8-year-olds that sound like that.

That doesn't exactly help when he is portrayed as more invincible of a character than he previously was. Back in the past, he had some struggle to him; now, he treats much of the stuff thrown at him off like it was nothing, even when Eggman makes a god his bitch.

That comes down to two things IMO: The situations he is placed in are resolved too easily in his favor, and the use of his personality is too limited. Let him be scared, concerned, angry, bored, annoyed, etc. Let him be in a situation where his personality would actually be problematic and result in him being in a bad position. He is not a robot who is permanently stuck on cocky and in control, but they aren't doing enough with him.

I really enjoyed Sonic Shuffle. I know it got a lot of hate but multiplayer with friends was a real barrel of fun. I've played a lot of the Mario partys as well and I know they are similar but regardless despite the poor reviews it got I liked Sonic Shuffle, still do :]  

I enjoyed Shuffle as well.  Sometimes I feel that the criticisms directed at it boil down to "It was fun when Mario did it because Mario is a god who can do know wrong, but if Sonic does anything it's automatically trash even if it's literally the same exact game with Sonic characters."  That being said, I do see a lot of problems with the game, but none that make it unenjoyable as a game.

I've never heard an 8-year-old sound like that, in all honesty.  The brief sound clips in Sonic Advance 3 leads me to believe that William Corkery may have had a decent voice for Tails, but in Heroes it was horribly executed.  It constantly went off-key and he constantly sounded like he was whining, even when he was trying to be happy.

I've never heard an 8-year-old sound like that, in all honesty.  The brief sound clips in Sonic Advance 3 leads me to believe that William Corkery may have had a decent voice for Tails, but in Heroes it was horribly executed.  It constantly went off-key and he constantly sounded like he was whining, even when he was trying to be happy.

Are you saying my opinion is wrong?

Are you saying my opinion is wrong?

Um, no?  I'm just voicing my own opinion on the matter.  You're free to disagree.  There's nothing I can do to stop you. =P

Um, no?  I'm just voicing my own opinion on the matter.  You're free to disagree.  There's nothing I can do to stop you. =P

Sorry, it was late at night when I read your post, so I wasn't thinking clearly.

One of the unpopular Sonic-related opinions I have is that Ice Cap is one of the lesser good levels in Sonic 3&K, despite the fact it gets numerous amounts praise in the fanbase. The music is pretty cool though.

Another unpopular opinion I have is that Palmtree Panic is the best out of all the starting zones in the classic games with the "greenery" trope.

One unpopular opinion I have is that Mighty shouldn't be brought back. The reason being is because I think the chemistry that Espio, Charmy, and Vector have is well done to the point that bringing Mighty back would ruin the trio dynamic the current three members have going. That and the franchise is pretty much crowded as it is so I think Sonic Team should try to develop the characters we already have rather than bring back scrapped ones like Mighty.

• Thumbs Up 6

I consider Green Hill the best of the opening Classic levels, but all of them are really good. Even Angel Island, which only seems weak because the rest of the game offers more.

For an unpopular opinion, I like water levels in most Sonic games. In the Advance games, Rush games, Colours, Sonic 4 Episode 2 (including White Park Act 3, fuckers!), and in Sonic 3, they're some of my favourite levels in them. Even Labyrinth isn't terrible by any means. Seaside Hill and Chemical Plant in Generations are pretty fun "water levels" too, though Modern Seaside Hill is imo really good too, but not for being a water level as it has very few water bits. I guess Lost World is technically a water level but again it's fun for having a variety of gimmicks and doesn't have much water.

That said, I don't like them all. I find Tidal Tempest a bit average compared to some of the other CD levels, Blue Marine in Sonic Blast is even more dicks than the rest of the game, and I'm not fond of Aquatic Mine.

Edited by Semi-colon e

I think the Werehog's a pretty cool concept. A darker, more menacing Sonic? Sounds like a cup of tea for my moral alignment switching fetish.

And thennnn SEGA made it so he's just a goodnatured fluffball who looks intimidating, and who is musclebound yet stretches like he's made of rubber. What the hell were you thinking Sonic Team?

One unpopular opinion I have is that Mighty shouldn't be brought back. The reason being is because I think the chemistry that Espio, Charmy, and Vector have is well done to the point that bringing Mighty back would ruin the trio dynamic the current three members have going. That and the franchise is pretty much crowded as it is so I think Sonic Team should try to develop the characters we already have rather than bring back scrapped ones like Mighty.

Agreed.  If Sega should ever use a forgotten "classic" character, I'm pretty sure most people would agree on Fang over Mighty.  Besides, in both games that had Mighty playable, SegaSonic and Chaotix, he's been nothing more than a Sonic reskin with no moveset to distinguish him from the Blue Blur.  As somebody stated in a previous topic regarding Mighty, he's never been anything more than Sonic 2.0.

Adding another one of my unpopular opinions to the mix, I hate all four Sonic series.  Jaleel's voice is annoying in all 3 Dic cartoons and always made Sonic sound like some wannabe tough guy.  AoStH had horrid animation, grating voice acting, and the backgrounds always looked like they came from a Dr. Seuss.  SatAM is some wannabe, dark-grim, run-of-the-mill 90s action cartoon where all the original characters were just basic archetypes and Eggman was somehow turned into Julian a villain so pretentiously evil it'd make Captain Planet villains point and laugh.  Underground takes all the bad ideas introduced in SatAm and make them even more god-awful by introducing two re-color siblings and the most face-palming songs I've ever heard.  Sonic X looked promising but was hurt by cheap animation, awful dubbing, and redundant retellings of the video games.  Plus I hated the Metarex arc; they looked like reject Gundam robots.

Another unpopular opinion of mine is as bad as Sonic X's english dub was, I consider it to be better than the acting from the 3 Dic cartoons. *flees*

Unpopular opinion; I love fanfics.

When they are done well, of course.

A well-written fanfic can be a gateway into a side of a character that had been barely touched upon in the games. It can be a way to showcase the relationship between characters, be it friendly, romantically-inclined, or rivalries. Adaptions can take the plot of the games and flesh them out quite nicely - there's an Unleashed adapt I've been wanting to read that seems to do just that. They can also explore new territories and ideas and the eloquent ones can launch the reader right into the world of that story.

Sadly, there is a lot of crap one has to sift through to get to the good stuff, a whole bunch of drek before they find a diamond in the rough. Then again, in retrospect, that does make those diamonds all the more special when you think about it.

• Thumbs Up 2

What are the dual comic strips (which are widely praised) but glorified fanfictions, anyway? Archie's current writer even started out as the writer of an ordinary Sonic fanfiction, even.

Fanfiction is like a recipe. Provided you put some love and common sense into it, it can turn out really, really good. Unfortunately many forget that second part, which is why they enjoy such a horrid reputation.

• Thumbs Up 7

I enjoyed Shuffle as well.  Sometimes I feel that the criticisms directed at it boil down to "It was fun when Mario did it because Mario is a god who can do know wrong, but if Sonic does anything it's automatically trash even if it's literally the same exact game with Sonic characters."  That being said, I do see a lot of problems with the game, but none that make it unenjoyable as a game.

Sonic Shuffle was and still is an awesome game. I actually remember staying up until 4-5 am playing the game and we wasn't tired, but instead having a laugh. Ah memories.