Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Unpopular Opinion: I found Deem Bristow's 'mincemeat' line in SA1 more utterly hilarious than scary. 

It just sounded so over-the-top for me to be taken seriously.

Unpopular opinion: I thought the voice acting in SA1 was pretty decent.

• Thumbs Up 1

Unpopular opinion: I thought the voice acting in SA1 was pretty decent.

I always thought the Adventure-era cast were pretty well received.

It's just the first few lines were somewhat desiring in quality. I think we all remember, "Watch out, yer gonna crash. Ah!" And so, Ryan Drummond won himself the Oscar.

I hate Sonic CD's Special Stages. A lot.

I don't care if they re-use the halfpipe a million times, these are still my least favorite Special Stages in the series. There's no fun to be had here for me, goddamn slippery-slobbery controls, and the precision of whether or not I hit the UFOs is difficult >:[ ...maybe I just suck, but that's still not a good thing D:<

Music's pretty good though...

dundundundun-dun, dun-dun, dundun dan dan dan...

Edited by Starscream
  • Thumbs Up 1

I hate Sonic CD's Special Stages. A lot.

I don't care if they re-use the halfpipe a million times, these are still my least favorite Special Stages in the series. There's no fun to be had here for me, goddamn slippery-slobbery controls >:[

Music's pretty good though...

dundundundun-dun, dun-dun, dundun dan dan dan...

I would agree that the special stages in the Mega CD and Gems Collection versions were frustrating as hell. However, there is no doubt that CW made the special stages much smoother and thus easier (IMO) with the better frame rate in 2011's release.

As for the half-pipe, I am sick of those stages. They have been done to death and I have never found them that enjoyable. Can't Sonic Team just try something completely different. Hell, they could re-use the 3&K or Chaotix special stages.

• Thumbs Up 1

I like the halfpipes, but I agree that they're over used. In my opinion, the best "special stages" were the ones in the console version of Colors.

• Thumbs Up 1

I freaking love Heroes's special stages.

Sue me. That music is amazing, and they really weren't as bad as people say they were. They were actually kind of fun.

• Thumbs Up 2

I freaking love Heroes's special stages.

Sue me. That music is amazing, and they really weren't as bad as people say they were. They were actually kind of fun.

Seconded. Those special stages were challenging, the music's the bomb, and it's definitely one of my favorite Special Stages.

and they really weren't as bad as people say they were.

No, they really were. It's like '06 level programming.

Music's not bad, tho'

They were meh for me. Then they got butchered even worse in generations 3ds.(Aside from the music)

Edited by Hedgehogs Boost

At the very least, Heroes' Special Stage music is the most catchy song in the game.

• Thumbs Up 1

Eh, as far as I'm concerned, Sonic 4: Episode II's special stages are the best in the series, beating out even the Blue Sphere stages from Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

I do think the concept of the Special Stage could use some sprucing up. On-rails running is pretty passe' and boring whether in a tube or not. Considering the lore surrounding the Emeralds (Gods everywhere), I do think more skill-based challenges- similar to some of Unleashed's alternate acts- or even boss-based challenges could be utilized. More context sensitive ideas like Colors' arcade would also be appreciated. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I think one thing that made Sonic 3+K's special stages so great is that they managed to find a good balance between puzzle and platforming.  Sonic 1's special stages were beautiful, but they seemed to be primarily driven by disorientation, difficult navigation, and taking leaps of faith when you have no idea what's around the corner.  The only way to truly develop a knack for them was through trial and error.  Sonic 2's took on a more platforming approach where timing and foresight were more virtuous than luck.  Sonic CD's were... whatever they were going for there.  Then Sonic 3 came out and instead of it being all luck-based or time-based, it's puzzle-based but has a slight, but not overdone, sense of disorientation when the stage would speed up.  They took a bit of strategy to execute, especially if you were going for a "Perfect," but not in such a way where you'd have to memorize each level's layout to be able to do it.  They were sadistically challenging at times, but it didn't feel insurmountable or that there was absolutely nothing you could have done to prevent losing.

I'm open to the idea of reinventing the special stages for freshness and giving more context-sensitive challenges, but I'd like there to remain some kind of puzzle element like in Sonic 3+K.  Something to challenge your mind as well as your coordination.

Edited by Akito

An (unpopular?) opinion I have is that Sonic 2's special stage are awful. Seriously, it's even worse when playing with Tails. Oh yeah, and the 7th special stage is hell in form of a video game level.

Edited by Felix
  • Thumbs Up 1

An (unpopular?) opinion I have is that Sonic 2's special stage are awful. Seriously, it's even worse when playing with Tails. Oh yeah, and the 7th special stage is hell in form of a video game level.

How is it worse when you're playing with Tails? He picks up any rings you missed, making it slightly easier.

How is it worse when you're playing with Tails? He picks up any rings you missed, making it slightly easier.

1 - Ring requirements are a bit higher than they would be if it was Sonic alone

2 - Tails' primitive AI makes him vulnerable to being hit and losing rings and it's not good for collecting rings to add to the increased requirement caused by his presence.

• Thumbs Up 1

Tails' movement is so out of sync with Sonic's that it makes some of the later Chaos Emerald stages nigh impossible.  It takes him one whole second for him to jump after you press the button and don't even get me started on his horrendously delayed horizontal movement.  It's like he deliberately runs into every set of bombs he sees.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 - Ring requirements are a bit higher than they would be if it was Sonic alone

2 - Tails' primitive AI makes him vulnerable to being hit and losing rings and it's not good for collecting rings to add to the increased requirement caused by his presence.

Oh wow, is that true? I never noticed that.

And yes, Tails is more likely to screw you over than actually help, unless you have really, REALLY good timing. I've gotten pretty lucky at times, but for the most part, it's a lot easier to just play as Sonic or Tails alone.