Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

Classic Planet Wisp is a shitty remix, but a really awesome techno track anyway. Modern's remix is very similar but I love the added "kick" it has, and the added stuff in the part before it loops back over.

I'm sorry, but what kick does Modern PW have in it? I mean, it basically rips out everything that made the original great,and what we're left with is a bare bones midi sounding track. I mean if you like it, that fine, I'm just wondering if you could explain your reasoning more.

Also I think RCS is a good Sonic. He sounds about right. His attitude and everything calls for a snarky, immature voice to me.

Edited by X.A.N.A

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Spring Yard Zone = LOVE. <3

Marble Zone = ...No. Just, no.

Labyrinth Zone = It's ok...I really dig the music.

Im sort of late but.

Popular (or Unpopular, I don't even know anymore) opinion, I liked Roger in Colors just fine. Made me realize how I didn't really like Griffith all that much and rather forced myself to get used to him.

I liked Roger too, the moment I heard his voice I knew he would be great for Sonic. Jason just doesn't have a lot of emotion or real acting quality behind his voice, at least not until Sonic Unleashed and the Black Knight.

An unpopular opinion I agree with is that Unleashed is more fun of a game than Colors. After finishing Colors, I haven't touched it for more than a year. Unleashed on the other hand, which I finished back in 2009, I keep going back to the day (and even some night) stages to get new records, upgrade Sonic, or just talk to people in the hubs. Colors is the objectively "better" gane, but I still personally have more fun with Unleashed.

• Thumbs Up 5

An unpopular opinion I agree with is that Unleashed is more fun of a game than Colors. After finishing Colors, I haven't touched it for more than a year. Unleashed on the other hand, which I finished back in 2009, I keep going back to the day (and even some night) stages to get new records, upgrade Sonic, or just talk to people in the hubs. Colors is the objectively "better" gane, but I still personally have more fun with Unleashed.

I'm the opposite; when I played Unleashed after Colors, I found it to be way worse than I remembered. Colors just seemed more... polished in comparison.

After reading the last page, Marble Zone is one of my favourite levels in any of the games. I love it and the music!

Yeah, I replayed Colors last weekend, went through some Tropical Resort, Planet Wisp, and Starlight Carnival, and I dunno, I'm trying to enjoy playing it, but I honestly can't. 

Anyway, I've been replaying Unleashed for the past two weeks or so, and I finally figured out how to get the social butterfly achievement (had everyone but two hot dog people to talk to and Def Big), I got all the hot dogs in Rooftop Run, and I failed maybe 15 times in trying to get an Eggmanland hotdog. Farthest I got in that mission was about half way through I think, after the first pipe walking section I believe, but I fell to to the lava due to fire burning the Werehog...and proceeded to make that mistake a second time. And then I just quit trying Eggmanland hotdog missions after that. I also did a bunch of side missions, such as Zon Shen trying to heal Sonic, and then the whole thing with Charles coming to Chun-Nan to get lessons from Zon Shen. I dunno, I had fun with the whole thing. 

• Thumbs Up 5

I have more fun with Colours. I prefer how Sonic controls, I prefer the somewhat exploration and pinball scoring aspect of Colours, I prefer the soundtrack, I prefer the level tropes. I don't really care for the side missions in Unleashed at all and I've only done a few as they tend to make the level design really really bad.

Unleashed is growing on me, but Colours didn't have to grow on me.

Both games have quite weak bosses though - Generations shines above both by far in this regard, with the exception of the Time Eater. Not sure how popular this opinion of that Generations has good bosses is?

Also with regards to Planet Wisp Modern on the other page I love the bombastic nature of the strings and the intro drums, which adds more of a kick than the originally relaxing track. I'd still say it's inferior overall, but it's a good track nonetheless. I don't get the MIDI comparison, but I will appreciate it's too similar to the original (which doesn't automatically make it bad, Speed Highway Modern was awesome too!).

Edited by Semi-colon e
  • Thumbs Up 6

Unleashed had its drawbacks, but at least it was a challenge. There were actually some fairly difficult obstacles in places, whereas Colors seems more of a pushover. In Unleashed the difficulty's standard, whereas in Colors it seems the difficulty was shoved off into the optional range, such as replaying to collect everything, get S-ranks, etc. Likewise Generations was a pushover despite its many good points; I didn't die once until Planet Wisp.

So difficult it's cheap versus so easy it's not worth the cash. Oh the delicate balance...

• Thumbs Up 1

Unleashed had its drawbacks, but at least it was a challenge. There were actually some fairly difficult obstacles in places, whereas Colors seems more of a pushover. In Unleashed the difficulty's standard, whereas in Colors it seems the difficulty was shoved off into the optional range, such as replaying to collect everything, get S-ranks, etc. Likewise Generations was a pushover despite its many good points; I didn't die once until Planet Wisp.

So difficult it's cheap versus so easy it's not worth the cash. Oh the delicate balance...

A great part of that "challenge" was the game throwing stuff at you and saying "HEREDODGETHIS" or struggling with the less-than-stellar controls. Colors may have been easy, but at least it was honest about it.

Also, Gens wasn't quite as easy as Colors was.

A great part of that "challenge" was the game throwing stuff at you and saying "HEREDODGETHIS" or struggling with the less-than-stellar controls. Colors may have been easy, but at least it was honest about it.

I didn't have problems with the controls at all.

I didn't view the obstacles as too cheap either. In a game that's supposed to be about speed I don't think it's unreasonable you should quick reflexes, just as Sonic himself does.

Also, Gens wasn't quite as easy as Colors was.

I think I died more in Colors than Generations, so one's mileage may vary. XD

didn't view the obstacles as too cheap either. In a game that's supposed to be about speed I don't think it's unreasonable you should quick reflexes, just as Sonic himself does.

I didn't need quick reflexes to play Generations.

I didn't need quick reflexes to play Generations.

I'm talking about Unleashed though, since it was mentioned the obstacles can get kind of cheap.

At least there's a split second to react to the incoming obstacles, unlike from what I've heard said of Dash.

I'm talking about Unleashed though, since it was mentioned the obstacles can get kind of cheap.

At least there's a split second to react to the incoming obstacles, unlike from what I've heard said of Dash.

Then don't boost and take it easy.

Edited by KrazyBean

Then don't boost and take it easy.

You're making the false assumption that the argument I make pertains to me personally. I am playing Devil's Advocate in the context of that post - I don't really believe in "cheap" obstacles since I don't think it's unreasonable for quick reflexes to be part of speed-based gameplay.

I personally don't spam boost unless I've played the level enough times to have memorised where all the obstacles are.

I guess I can chalk my lack of belief in cheap obstacles up as an unpopular opinion.

On that note, I very rarely think the camera's an issue too.

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice

I hope no hate rises from this post.

But, I thought Sonic 06 was actually a good game, it had an amazing soundtrack, the Sonic X VA's, an awesome (but confusing ) story, and best of all, it had multiplayer, which for some reason is hard to find in a Sonic game anymore. Sure there were some glitches here and there, but play it long enough, you learn to adapt to them, and to play the game for what it was meant to be. The only problem with the game I had, was the end where the whole Sonic gets kissed by Elise, I didn't have much of a problem with it back in 2006 when I got the game, but I was pretty confused on why Amy didn't try to kill Elise, she just kind of stood there.

Another thing, I liked Silver's VA from Sonic 06, I didn't find it very annoying like some did. I have no problem with the new one, but this is just something I wanted to point out.

I actually liked the Sonic Storybook Series, I don't know if they'll make anymore since there was so much hate for it, but if they did, I would be very happy to see a return on Darkspine Sonic. It's basically the closest we've seen to Dark Sonic from Sonic X.

I also want to point out, I had a friend agree with me on this, but I believe that it is a necessity to have Super Sonic fight a "Final Boss" at the end of a Sonic Game, it just doesn't really feel like a Sonic Game without it, to me anyways. I'm trying to word this carefully so I can express my full opinion, but for example, one of the reasons I didn't like Sonic Colors, was because you didn't go Super when fighting the final boss, still an okay boss, but I would have found more excitement from it if it were while gone Super Sonic. I noticed that the DS version of Sonic Colors did have a secret stage for Super Sonic to fight a boss, but I was slightly fustraited and somewhat confused on why it was taken out from the Wii version.

I know some will agree, but I see how from Sonic Colors and Generations, that SEGA may be trying to lean in the direction that they would only want the main characters of a game to be Sonic and Tails, I think it would be cool to bring Knuckles back in there. I mean, excluding Mighty and Ray, Knuckles and Tails were the original Team Sonic. <- (I can explain that if needed.)

The last thing I want to explain is about the Chaos Emeralds. I love the feeling at the end of some Sonic Games, that you find yourself ready to take on the Final Boss directly once you finish completing the Story Line. What I mean by that is that I actually prefer not to look for the Chaos Emeralds, but to have them already acquired at the end of the game. Like in Sonic Adventure, after you play all the Characters, during their stories you've already done the dirty work of collecting the emeralds, along with a fun stage to go with it, so when you play the Super Sonic story, you're ready to go Super. By saying this, I don't like going through Special Stages to collect the emeralds, I was awful at collecting them in Sonic Heroes, but I've managed to collect them all before in that game. I don't want to sound lazy, but I just think it would be easier that way.

Hope nobody flips out on me! 

I also want to point out, I had a friend agree with me on this, but I believe that it is a necessity to have Super Sonic fight a "Final Boss" at the end of a Sonic Game, it just doesn't really feel like a Sonic Game without it, to me anyways.

Do Sonic 1 and 2 not feel like Sonic games to you, then?

I hope no hate rises from this post.

But, I thought Sonic 06 was actually a good game, it had an amazing soundtrack, the Sonic X VA's, an awesome (but confusing ) story, and best of all, it had multiplayer, which for some reason is hard to find in a Sonic game anymore. Sure there were some glitches here and there, but play it long enough, you learn to adapt to them, and to play the game for what it was meant to be. The only problem with the game I had, was the end where the whole Sonic gets kissed by Elise, I didn't have much of a problem with it back in 2006 when I got the game, but I was pretty confused on why Amy didn't try to kill Elise, she just kind of stood there.

Another thing, I liked Silver's VA from Sonic 06, I didn't find it very annoying like some did. I have no problem with the new one, but this is just something I wanted to point out.

I actually liked the Sonic Storybook Series, I don't know if they'll make anymore since there was so much hate for it, but if they did, I would be very happy to see a return on Darkspine Sonic. It's basically the closest we've seen to Dark Sonic from Sonic X.

I also want to point out, I had a friend agree with me on this, but I believe that it is a necessity to have Super Sonic fight a "Final Boss" at the end of a Sonic Game, it just doesn't really feel like a Sonic Game without it, to me anyways. I'm trying to word this carefully so I can express my full opinion, but for example, one of the reasons I didn't like Sonic Colors, was because you didn't go Super when fighting the final boss, still an okay boss, but I would have found more excitement from it if it were while gone Super Sonic. I noticed that the DS version of Sonic Colors did have a secret stage for Super Sonic to fight a boss, but I was slightly fustraited and somewhat confused on why it was taken out from the Wii version.

I know some will agree, but I see how from Sonic Colors and Generations, that SEGA may be trying to lean in the direction that they would only want the main characters of a game to be Sonic and Tails, I think it would be cool to bring Knuckles back in there. I mean, excluding Mighty and Ray, Knuckles and Tails were the original Team Sonic. <- (I can explain that if needed.)

The last thing I want to explain is about the Chaos Emeralds. I love the feeling at the end of some Sonic Games, that you find yourself ready to take on the Final Boss directly once you finish completing the Story Line. What I mean by that is that I actually prefer not to look for the Chaos Emeralds, but to have them already acquired at the end of the game. Like in Sonic Adventure, after you play all the Characters, during their stories you've already done the dirty work of collecting the emeralds, along with a fun stage to go with it, so when you play the Super Sonic story, you're ready to go Super. By saying this, I don't like going through Special Stages to collect the emeralds, I was awful at collecting them in Sonic Heroes, but I've managed to collect them all before in that game. I don't want to sound lazy, but I just think it would be easier that way.

Hope nobody flips out on me! 

DO I NEED TO SPAM THIS LINK YET AGAIN?

Oh, but I kid.  I don't understand your point, but I respect it.  I'm usually very forgiving of even the most grating problems in Sonic games, and even I can see why Sonic '06 gets treated as a punchline for whenever someone refers to a bad Sonic game.  I'd like to echo Dr. Homem's remarks and ask what you find so "awesome" about the story.  I thought it was an all-around mess with a premise that no amount of structure could save, but the appalling lack of structure certainly didn't help it either.

Even without the plotholes and all the rest, it would still ultimately just be the same as SA1's story for the most part, only with two monsters and a princess.

• Thumbs Up 2

The writing in Sonic '06 had no redeemable qualities whatsoever.

psh. Stop speaking in absolutes. It will get you nowhere.

Mephi attempting to drag Shadow back through the mud he just crawled out of was a great characterization moment for the black hedgie.

• Thumbs Up 1

I would have rather not been reminded of that mud and how stupid crawling out of it was.

• Thumbs Up 9

Mephiles would have worked better as the villain for Shadow's own game than not only how he is here, but also better than Black Doom. Shadow's moral conflict could have been him wanting to get his "revenge" while Mephiles tries to egg him on, and then at the end Shadow goes "fuck you I'm not that much of a dick".

It would have also allowed for a better reason for Mephiles to look like Shadow (almost anything is better than what we got) and we could have avoided Black Doom's "I am your father" bullshit.

• Thumbs Up 1

The problem then would be how to properly incorporate the whole Solaris backstory with Shadow's. If not done well, it'd just be the same as what we actually got in ShtH, only with sun gods instead of aliens.

Oh, and while Black Doom has a crap design that makes him a Wizeman knock-off, I'd still take even that over Fridge-Shadow.

psh. Stop speaking in absolutes. It will get you nowhere.

Mephi attempting to drag Shadow back through the mud he just crawled out of was a great characterization moment for the black hedgie.

I'll respectfully disagree, what with Diogene's reasoning and also due to my own hate-boner for Mephiles.

Edited by Dr. Crusher
  • Thumbs Up 1