Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

It was never said anywhere before Chronicles that Sonic and friends attacked Eggman during his schemes with intentions of killing him. Breaking an arm, maybe, but not outright death.

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sonic and Co. (well, most of them) aren't really the types to wish death upon villains, however bad they may be.

Besides, classic "it would make them no better than Robotnik himself" lesson and all that.

Edited by Dr. Crusher
  • Thumbs Up 1

I don't see why it's a big deal. Sonic and the others put Dr Robotnik's life in danger in every game. And what's wrong with them hoping that he's dead. The guy tries to murder them and has killed people before. So I don't see the problem.

They pretty much teamed up with GUN for the sake of taking down Eggman once and for all. It's shown in-game; Sonic and co corner him on the Egg Carrier whilst GUN shoot the Carrier down from outside and the characters get away on the Tornado. The other times in which Sonic and co face Eggman, they haven't premeditated the notion of killing him and partnering-up with a military organization in order to do so.

On the voice actor topic, I sort of agree that Roger Craig Smith was over rated. I think he has pretty decent acting chops, but his voice is just really meh. I hope he has a chance to shine and show character development before he inevitably gets replaced. I just really miss griffith after the performance he gave in Secret rings, Zero gravity, Unleashed, and Black Knight.

Anyway, a really unpopular opinion of mine is that Kirk Thorton is my favorite Shadow. I know that a lot of people think he sounds too old and over the top, but I beg to differ. Humphrey was alright in Adventure 2, and he improved quite a bit in Heroes, but I don't know. Something just seemed off about the voice. Maybe he was trying a bit too hard to sound dark and brooding? Griffith has that same problem as well. Shadow just sounded like he was whispering his lines half the time, and was really taking himself too seriously. Thorton sounds like a mature shadow, that while is still a bit dark and brooding, can be taken more seriously. 

The main reason I like Humphrey Shadow is probably motivated by the lines he was given. Thornton and Griffith seemed to have been given solely dark lines - as I put it, Shadow sounds like he's always about to attack something.

In Humphrey's debut, however, he showed the full range of emotions. He had his dark, full on evil. He had his genuine sadness. He had confusion and even a slight degree of resigned happiness. He showed obvious concern for others. It reflected his moral complexity that he had such a wide range. After that game he rapidly became dark and brooding.

Needless to say at times I'm one of the folks that sometimes wishes he had stayed dead. Not because I hate him like many, but because I think his story had good closure and his characterisation was best in his first appearance.

• Thumbs Up 4

The main reason I like Humphrey Shadow is probably motivated by the lines he was given. Thornton and Griffith seemed to have been given solely dark lines - as I put it, Shadow sounds like he's always about to attack something.

In Humphrey's debut, however, he showed the full range of emotions. He had his dark, full on evil. He had his genuine sadness. He had confusion and even a slight degree of resigned happiness. He showed obvious concern for others. It reflected his moral complexity that he had such a wide range. After that game he rapidly became dark and brooding.

Needless to say at times I'm one of the folks that sometimes wishes he had stayed dead. Not because I hate him like many, but because I think his story had good closure and his characterisation was best in his first appearance.

I do agree with you on Humphrey in terms of Heroes. That was really the only game in the franchise where Shadow doesn't take himself too seriously. Humphrey sounded like he was giving a genuine performance as a hero trying to get the job done. Humphrey shadow in that game also pullled off some humor quite well. If Humphrey was able to play Shadow in more games, and sound similar to his heroes performance, then he would easily be my favorite shadow.

I think the problem is less of the voice actor, and more of Shadow's character going virtually nowhere post-Sa2 and being horribly Flanderized into what he is today. I don't think Humphrey would have made Shadow any more tolerable in his own game, or been able to actually give Shadow emotions beyond "indifference" in 06. But that's just me.

They pretty much teamed up with GUN for the sake of taking down Eggman once and for all. It's shown in-game; Sonic and co corner him on the Egg Carrier whilst GUN shoot the Carrier down from outside and the characters get away on the Tornado. The other times in which Sonic and co face Eggman, they haven't premeditated the notion of killing him and partnering-up with a military organization in order to do so.

You have the option of punting Eggman out of the sky in Sonic 1 after the Final Boss, and Sonic(or anyone) doesn't really seem too worried about Eggman's safety whenever he foils his plans, and considering how much of a threat Eggman tends to be towards the cast I really don't think it's too far off the realm of possibility that the cast would hope he's gone so they could go about living their lives.

I like the Backbone Sonic ports like Mega Collection, Ultimate Genesis Collection etc., and I don't see what makes them so (apparently) terrible.

I like the Backbone Sonic ports like Mega Collection, Ultimate Genesis Collection etc., and I don't see what makes them so (apparently) terrible.

I think it's a stretch to say that people think they're terrible- the games all look, play and sound as they should, but as I've said in the past, my primary gripe is the selection of games. Games like the Streets of Rage series, Decap Attack, Dynamite Headdy, Ristar, Comix Zone, etc. are all good games that deserve to be on these collections, but then there are games like Sonic Spinball, Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, Sonic 3D, Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle, Super Thunder Blade and Flicky, which don't have huge amounts of fans and the space that these games used could have been saved for better games. Plus, the unlockable Arcade games could have featured games from the Mega Drive era that have not been faithfully ported in the west (Such as Power Drift and Galaxy Force) but instead, they decided to use this space for things like a second port of Altered Beast, a game which isn't exactly an all-time classic.

Edited by Old Freddy

It's more to do with the sound. I've only played Sonic 1 in Generations, but the sound and whatnot isn't very good even though it plays just fine. Stick to Mega Collection if you can.

Also, Sonic 1 being in Generations means that, technically, everyone's favourite zone Marble Zone is in Generations!

Popular opinion: Marble Zone is fucking awful.

Yeah I get that the point of Sonic 1 is Fast Zone > Platforming Zone > Fast Zone > Platforming Zone and so on but it's just such a fucking chore to play through that I usually just find myself playing through GHZ then quitting because I cba to play Marble Zone.

Labyrinth is also an offender but it doesn't leave you waiting around for a length of time I can only describe as 'fucking ages' for those stupid blocks to carry you across the lava sections. God forbid you should fuck up as well because you will have to wait around for fucking ages again and if you die you most likely will be going back to start because there's a severe lack of Checkpoints. Is it blasphemous to really want a Sonic 1 remake that includes Bridge Zone and Jungle Zone and puts them before Marble just so the game doesn't give you a buzzkill in Zone 2?

I fucking hate Marble Zone.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think it's a stretch to say that people think they're terrible- the games all look, play and sound as they should, but as I've said in the past, my primary gripe is the selection of games. Games like the Streets of Rage series, Decap Attack, Dynamite Headdy, Ristar, Comix Zone, etc. are all good games that deserve to be on these collections, but then there are games like Sonic Spinball, Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, Sonic 3D, Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle, Super Thunder Blade and Flicky, which don't have huge amounts of fans and the space that these games used could have been saved for better games. Plus, the unlockable Arcade games could have featured games from the Mega Drive era that have not been faithfully ported in the west (Such as Power Drift and Galaxy Force) but instead, they decided to use this space for things like a second port of Altered Beast, a game which isn't exactly an all-time classic.

Hey, I liked Spinball.

And wasn't Golden Axe III originally not released in the US or something?

Time for the clash - I like Marble Zone.

I like Marble Zone too, when I was a little girl it took me ages to get through it...but now I love it.

I personally think Labyrinth Zone is the over-hated darling of Sonic 1. I dunno; I like the idea of navigating a cramped, underwater labyrinth, and I think it's a good pacing foil compared to Spring Yard. I also like its aesthetics and music, and the boss is interesting enough; not so much a boss as it is a stressful survival test. I dig that idea. Marble Zone on the other hand isn't bad, but it's just kind of dull. Grey dungeons everywhere and the slowest moving floating platforms I've ever seen.

• Thumbs Up 3

Labyrinth does have quite a good aesthetic and has the whole water level gimmick, but Marble is just tedious. I would have liked more of the outdoor sections in Marble Zone but you barely get any.

Spring Yard sort of sits between the speed and platforming stages, moreso than any other in the game.

I like every zone in Sonic 1.

Also, fun fact: Eggman's stuck his mug throughout Labyrinth Zone.

Yeah, all the zones in Sonic 1 are fine with me.

In fact, now that I think about it, I don't really have that much strife with any 2D Sonic zones in general. Not even Scrambled Egg and Altitude Limit.

Yeah, all the zones in Sonic 1 are fine with me.

In fact, now that I think about it, I don't really have that much strife with any 2D Sonic zones in general. Not even Scrambled Egg and Altitude Limit.

Not even Sonic Blast's Blue Marine, where you have slowed down and stiff controls compared to the already slow and stiff controlling game?

Level's fucking horrendous.

Labyrinth Zone is probably my least favorite Sonic 1 strage... but with that said, I don't hate it... too much.  It's just the one level I opt to skip whenever I play it.

Not even Sonic Blast's Blue Marine, where you have slowed down and stiff controls compared to the already slow and stiff controlling game?

Level's fucking horrendous.

It's Sonic Blast, so I only find myself laughing with pity at that one as opposed to having any feelings of genuine 06-worthy frustration.

• Thumbs Up 1

Im sort of late but.

Popular (or Unpopular, I don't even know anymore) opinion, I liked Roger in Colors just fine. Made me realize how I didn't really like Griffith all that much and rather forced myself to get used to him.

Edited by Soniman
  • Thumbs Up 1

Time for the clash - I like Marble Zone.

... I came here to say this, basically. And that Marble Zone's music is amongst my favourite in the entire franchise.

Hmm.

Well, I guess my opinion that literally every Sonic game done until now is canon isn't shared by many, so I'll give that one instead. 

Marble Zone's not especially terrible or anything, but it's just...so not a Sonic level. 99% of it is right angles...you could insert any generic platforming character in it and they'd get along fine. Fuckin' Mario 3 has more slopes.

• Thumbs Up 3

Yeah I agree with Diogenes. Im going to have to say Marble Zone felt more like a chore that a level to me. Not because it was terrible but it was switching from being fast paced into that was annoying. But I did love the music of it.