Awoo.

[DELETED]

LATER BUDDY

If Shadow ever appears again he should now be a parody of himself.

Like that rival character in anime who always tries to look cool, but always has the worst of luck.

Shth should've been like that.

If Shadow ever appears again he should now be a parody of himself.

Like that rival character in anime who always tries to look cool, but always has the worst of luck.

Shth should've been like that.

You mean like Knuckles is now?

• Thumbs Up 2

You mean like Knuckles is now?

Maybe not as clumsy or how SEGA makes him out to be.

I think they should just exaggerate his character alot to the point it's ridiculously comical.

If it were up to me, Sonic, Blaze, and Silver would be playable in a Wii U sonic rush game.

I like this idea. Silver could be pretty good on the Wii U, especially since they now know fine and well what people didn't like about him in '06, and it'd be smart to reintroduce him alongside Sonic and Blaze, two characters with established good gameplay...

• Thumbs Up 2

Maybe not as clumsy or how SEGA makes him out to be.

I think they should just exaggerate his character alot to the point it's ridiculously comical.

I wish they'd go with this approach somewhat, but unlike Silver, Sega (or at least Iizuka) still hold a lot of respect for Shadow. And it's not surprising, to be honest.

So for the time being, I think his humour will still be derived from his snark and his accent unintentionally smarmy moments. Still more comedy than Blaze has...

Edited by VEDJ-F

While erasing it again won't change the fact that '06 ever happened, it would make it easier for people to move on from the unanswered questions its ending had. So what if 06 still happened? So what if it is part of the events that forms the current canon?
That's kind of why people care, because it's a plothole in the Sonic canon.

We have something that we can use to bypass the mess much easier than just ignoring it,
I would say that "doing nothing" is a lot easier than writing a game with some kind of major spacetime-fuckery so they can find a way to say they've erased an already-erased timeline.

And stands that if you can invent reason to make something work such as fusing two dimension together when doing so originally would have screw the space-time continuum, I find it hard to believe we can't invent a reason to make it easier to ignore a screw up like Sonic 06 had in it. Yes, there's a difference inventing something to fuse dimensions and inventing something to wipe out a part of the canon (on the other hand, maybe not), but you're still inventing something to have an effect on canon regardless.
The difference is that one is just sci-fi BSing for something that's going to help the plot of the series, while the other is saying "remember this thing? FORGET ABOUT THIS THING!" because a couple of people are stuck on a plothole. The former is a perfectly reasonable plotline that just needs some handwaving to make it work, the latter exists for nothing but trying to make a meta-comment on their fuckup by doing something that makes no in-universe sense and solves no problems.

Or we could just get better writers? There was nothing wrong with dimensional traveling stories, and by ditching that we'd have to ditch Blaze who is actually a good character worth using. And time travel stories were only bad in Sonic 06 in so much as the writers made a mess out of the elements they were using.

Have the time travel be like CD. Also, as for my precious lovely, keep her in Sonic's dimension.

I wish they'd go with this approach somewhat, but unlike Silver, Sega (or at least Iizuka) still hold a lot of respect for Shadow. And it's not surprising, to be honest.

So for the time being, I think his humour will still be derived from his snark and his accent unintentionally smarmy moments. Still more comedy than Blaze has...

I don't understand this, while I understand characters need certain quirks to their personality, I never understood why do they need to be funny?

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't understand this, while I understand characters need certain quirks to their personality, I never understood why do they need to be funny?

Eh, it's going to be hard to explain what I feel...

Uh, well, the problem is that characters like him currently feel a bit out of place. Rouge is also snarky, but she seems to fit better, at least from my perspective. So adding something to Shadow would likely help, although I'm not certain what. A bit of an exaggeration of his ego would likely work (but not to the point of ridicule, hence I only said somewhat), but like I para-said, Sega likely want to keep him relatively straight.

Uh, well, the problem is that characters like him currently feel a bit out of place. Rouge is also snarky, but she seems to fit better, at least from my perspective. So adding something to Shadow would likely help, although I'm not certain what. A bit of an exaggeration of his ego would likely work (but not to the point of ridicule, hence I only said somewhat), but like I para-said, Sega likely want to keep him relatively straight.

I think the best way to add "comedy" to a serious character without dastically changing their character would be to have them play off the other characters.

Take for instance, Espio. Espio is a serious, deadly ninja. However, he hangs around the the somewhat goofy Vector and the even goofier Charmy. Espio's reactions to the disfunctional could be humourous, he could be exasperated that he's stuck with these two goofballs.

To put it a better way, the comedy comes from the situtation the character is in a how they react to it, and not the character themselves.

On another note, Batman (in the Brave and the Bold) used dry-wit and didn't seem out of character, perhaps that could work for the more serious characters such as Shadow.

Take for instance, Espio. Espio is a serious, deadly ninja.
I'm pretty sure Espio is meant to be ridiculous.

Have the time travel be like CD. Also, as for my precious lovely, keep her in Sonic's dimension.

What the fuck.

What if Team Chaotix had the changing mechanic from Sonic Heroes, and had puzzle based levels where you had to figure out whether to use Espy, Vex or Charmy to find the quickest and best method? Take out the focus on combat and make all of the characters fast and it could work, or at least be worth a try. No Mission style levels though please and thanks.

Edited by Princess Peach!
  • Thumbs Up 1

That's kind of why people care, because it's a plothole in the Sonic canon.

Then I suggest erasing the plothole.

I would say that "doing nothing" is a lot easier than writing a game with some kind of major spacetime-fuckery so they can find a way to say they've erased an already-erased timeline.

"Doing nothing" leaves the mess a mess. "Doing nothing" fails to address the questions that were made the first time they erased things, though to be fair addressing it isn't likely to do a better job.

Yeah, not a fan of doing nothing.

The difference is that one is just sci-fi BSing for something that's going to help the plot of the series, while the other is saying "remember this thing? FORGET ABOUT THIS THING!" because a couple of people are stuck on a plothole. The former is a perfectly reasonable plotline that just needs some handwaving to make it work, the latter exists for nothing but trying to make a meta-comment on their fuckup by doing something that makes no in-universe sense and solves no problems.

"Makes no in-universe sense" and "solves no problems" despite the fact that we can make an in-universe sense to it, and the problem would be solved by making it easier for people who are stuck on it to move on? Yeah, as far as I'm gonna look at this, it's handwaving in both cases to take care of something for the canon.

Sorry, but we're just gonna have to agree to disagree here. You see no point to it and would rather do nothing, whereas I do see a point and would like to do something about it, and unless you see and can tell me how this would be more detriment rather than something that would be pointless, I think we're just going to be arguing in circles here.

I don't really feel every character needs a "wacky personality" to be a decent character, yes I know the majority of the cast have their quirks, but I don't see a need to make every single character something of a caricature of themselves.

Then I suggest erasing the plothole.
You can't do that from inside. If you have a character canonically poof it out of existence, that's proof that it did exist. So Blaze being in Silver's time/world still happened, even if it was erased.

"Makes no in-universe sense" and "solves no problems" despite the fact that we can make an in-universe sense to it,
Like? I mean, what possible reason could there be to erase an event that the character should have no knowledge of, that's not even part of the current timeline?

and the problem would be solved by making it easier for people who are stuck on it to move on?
Why would this get them to move on, when '06 erasing itself didn't?

You can't do that from inside. If you have a character canonically poof it out of existence, that's proof that it did exist. So Blaze being in Silver's time/world still happened, even if it was erased.

If you have it poof it out of existence, it's not something to worry about asking the questions it posed originally.

Like? I mean, what possible reason could there be to erase an event that the character should have no knowledge of, that's not even part of the current timeline?

As a test for their plan to see what they could accomplish, said erasure of the event would just be collateral. And considering how Generations acknowledged it as part of what Sonic's has traveled through (regardless of Generation's barebone plot), I think it should go without saying that it's still somehow acknowledged.

Why would this get them to move on, when '06 erasing itself didn't?

Because as I previously told you, the way '06 did it only led to more questions being asked. This would get them to question whether it even matters anymore sense that alternate event is done away with in-universe.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

If Tails ever appears as a playable character in a 3D Sonic game again, I think SEGA should make his gameplay focus on exploration. Think about it; with his ability to fly and all that, it enables him to get into places some of the other characters wouldn't be able to. Perhaps, just to give an example, at the start of a stage, you could be given the option of Sonic or Tails. Sonic would be able to complete the stage as normal, but Tails would be able to find a hidden goal for the stage. This could lead into a cutscene Tails discovers one of Eggman's plans and then relays it to Sonic later on in the game. I could also imagine this for other characters.

Hope I explained that well enough... .__.

Uh, well, the problem is that characters like him currently feel a bit out of place.

I can see why you would say that, considering that modern games in the series are always comedies.

But in my opinion, instead of trying to adjust all the old characters to fit in with the new comedic approach of the series, they should drop the comedic approach. Just because the series is lighthearted in terms of tone dosent mean it should have to try to make the audience laugh every cutscene. There can still be jokes of course, but not so much that the main point of nearly every cutscene seems to be to be funny. The Sonic series was never meant to be a comedy, and they way that Sega have turned it into one during the last couple of years makes the newer games really jarring when compared to older games. (Obviously, older games had their own narrative problems, but that has nothing to do with this particular subject...)

Edited by batson

But in my opinion, instead of trying to adjust all the old characters to fit in with the new comedic approach of the series, they should drop the comedic approach.

Just go for the adventure. If it has points where there is a good opportunity for humor, use it. If there's a good drama point, use it. If there is a good point for silence (Lol, silence in a Sonic game), use that.

Well I can understand where vedj is coming from, but yeah I don't really think its the characters fault for not fitting, and more on Sega for drastically changing the tone of the series in a vain attempt to be "lighthearted"

• Thumbs Up 1

Well I can understand where vedj is coming from, but yeah I don't really think its the characters fault for not fitting, and more on Sega for drastically changing the tone of the series in a vain attempt to be "lighthearted"

Yeah, I can agree with that. That's why I like tone of Unleashed - it had its serious moments, but without delving to grimdark territory, and any lightheartedness wasn't jarring. It was comfortably in the middle and that's what I think is the best tone for SEGA to go for. Edited by Special Operative Blaire

Am I the only one that misses Emerl?

It's kinda funny how he's probably the only character in the series to have consistent character development for his entire run. It was great actually watching him progress and grow throughout the entire story in Sonic Battle.

It's a shame they sort of ruined his whole backstory with Chronicles...wait, I don't even think that's canon.

Am I the only one that misses Emerl?

It's kinda funny how he's probably the only character in the series to have consistent character development for his entire run. It was great actually watching him progress and grow throughout the entire story in Sonic Battle.

It's a shame they sort of ruined his whole backstory with Chronicles...wait, I don't even think that's canon.

How the hell did they ruin is backstory? You mean to tell me that explaining something we knew little about is ruining something?

How the hell did they ruin is backstory? You mean to tell me that explaining something we knew little about is ruining something?

Eh, it's kinda similar to Shadow in that they added unnecessary baggage to his origins being a product of the Nocturne. I mean it doesn't exactly detract from him, but it doesn't really add anything substantial either.