Awoo.

[DELETED]

LATER BUDDY

I wonder when we will see Omega again. Last time we saw him that wasn't a trophy was in 2006, not counting the Olympics games.

About people saying he is shallow and only wants to destroy shit... perhaps we could see a better, more developed Omega next time? Maybe he doesn't want to run after Eggman excessively now, but still keeps his destructive nature. It seems good to me.

Maybe I just want him to appear so Jazwares can make a figure of him. But it's an interesting prospect to see him come back.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, I too got no problem with his current character. But hey, there's no bad in a bit of development ;)

Perhaps. Maybe instead of a development, we get a change in role. Meaning, he stops just chasing after Eggman to do something else. Seems reasonable.

Omega is just plain clunky when it comes to situational use. He's a robot with a goal of destroying Eggman and destroying other robots so that he can prove himself superior, he's not exactly one for leisurely jollies.

Perhaps. Maybe instead of a development, we get a change in role. Meaning, he stops just chasing after Eggman to do something else. Seems reasonable.

No, Sonic Team just need to put him in the role he was originally assigned, which was blowing shit up. That's his problem, he hasn't blown anything up for over 6 years now.

I'm pretty sure Espio is meant to be ridiculous.

If he is they sure haven't done anything that would even suggest to me that he's ridiculous. The closest I can think of is Shadow the Hedgehog style unintentional comedy from overdramatics and comedic death line due it's preformance.

I wonder when we will see Omega again. Last time we saw him that wasn't a trophy was in 2006, not counting the Olympics games.

About people saying he is shallow and only wants to destroy shit... perhaps we could see a better, more developed Omega next time? Maybe he doesn't want to run after Eggman excessively now, but still keeps his destructive nature. It seems good to me.

Maybe I just want him to appear so Jazwares can make a figure of him. But it's an interesting prospect to see him come back.

The problem with characters like Omega, is they don't get any development outside of being "Tag-Alongs" to other characters. The only characters Omega's really ever interacted with are Shadow and Rouge. Eggman too if you count death threats. I'd like to see him react to other characters. The most obvious character he's likely to interact with is Sonic.

Thinking about it, Omega and Sonic seem one of the most logical choices - both have incentive to go after the good ol' doctor. Maybe he could offer a good contrast to Sonic - Sonic is lighthearted and Omega is serious and deadly about his goals.

Sometimes a character is just fine staying static, not everyone needs to "develop"

True. You can get some pretty good stories without character development - take shows like Futurama or the Simpsons. In the end things usually wind up back to the way they were, but you still have a sense of viewer satisfaction. This is because you use character interaction rather than development.

Omega is just plain clunky when it comes to situational use. He's a robot with a goal of destroying Eggman and destroying other robots so that he can prove himself superior, he's not exactly one for leisurely jollies.

I wouldn't mind if it was recon'ed into him just wanting to prove he's better than Eggman (Without destroying him). I can't remember, but did he ever say or imply directly that he was going to kill eggman?

If he is they sure haven't done anything that would even suggest to me that he's ridiculous. The closest I can think of is Shadow the Hedgehog style unintentional comedy from overdramatics and comedic death line due it's performance.

His ninja schtick is played up so much in every game he's in that it just crosses into ridiculous territory. Given Sonic's reaction to it in Colours DS, I'm sure this is supposed to be fully intentional.

I wouldn't mind if it was recon'ed into him just wanting to prove he's better than Eggman (Without destroying him). I can't remember, but did he ever say or imply directly that he was going to kill eggman?

From Shadow the Hedgehog;

Omega: This is Eggman's secret base! I will destroy him and prove that I am the strongest!

Rouge the Bat: Omega, cut it out! Jeez, don't you have anything better to do?

Omega: Negative.

There's probably more examples from Heroes, because I do remember him saying it there too.

If he is they sure haven't done anything that would even suggest to me that he's ridiculous. The closest I can think of is Shadow the Hedgehog style unintentional comedy from overdramatics and comedic death line due it's preformance.

Dude, you cannot tell me that lines like: "Beware my Ninja power" are meant to be taken seriously....

Dude, you cannot tell me that lines like: "Beware my Ninja power" are meant to be taken seriously....

When lines like "WHERE'S THAT DAMN FOURTH CHAOS EMERALD!" are, then it's a little hard to tell what the creators had in mind.

Well, Team Chaotix is meant to be a bunch of goofballs. So if it's one of them, yeah, it's probably supposed to be goofy.

Well, Team Chaotix is meant to be a bunch of goofballs. So if it's one of them, yeah, it's probably supposed to be goofy.

No offence, but that seems to me to be a pretty rubbish justifcation. Kind of like saying "Team Dark are serious so EVERYTHING they say is meant to be taken deadly serious." or "Sonic 06 has glitches so everything wrong with it is a glitch".

I've played both Sonic Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog and I can't think of single "goofy" thing Espio has ever done or said. Not to say he doesn't provide comedy, but it usually comes from playing off his goofier comrades.

No offence, but that seems to me to be a pretty rubbish justifcation. Kind of like saying "Team Dark are serious so EVERYTHING they say is meant to be taken deadly serious." or "Sonic 06 has glitches so everything wrong with it is a glitch".

I've played both Sonic Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog and I can't think of single "goofy" thing Espio has ever done or said. Not to say he doesn't provide comedy, but it usually comes from playing off his goofier comrades.

Hence forth him being a comedic character, you don't have to be a goofball to be a comedic character.

Off-topic, but can anyone besides me imagine Omega getting angry at a snarky computer terminal, blowing it up, and then when Vector comes by to check on him, he says "This is not the computer room you are looking for", while moving his hand in a stiff version of the Jedi Mind trick thing?

The point of Espio is that he is an over-the-top ninja cliche, working in a failing detective agency with their money-loving leader and a hyperactive kid. The situation is ridiculous, but Espio is deadly serious. That is the joke. That is what he exists for.

Off-topic, but can anyone besides me imagine Omega getting angry at a snarky computer terminal, blowing it up, and then when Vector comes by to check on him, he says "This is not the computer room you are looking for", while moving his hand in a stiff version of the Jedi Mind trick thing?
Imagining that causes me physical pain.

Imagining that causes me physical pain.

Well you're no fun sad.png.

Edited by Malpercio

How the hell did they ruin is backstory? You mean to tell me that explaining something we knew little about is ruining something?

I don't remember totally, but linking Emerl to the Nocturnus Clan and then showing that there were entire armies of him sort of ruins the mysterious charm he had to me. And not only that it seriously questions if he is a canon character or not.

Sonic Battle could be a canon sidestory, sure, but if we are to believe that Emerl is one of the Gizoids the Nocturnus created, his backstory is pretty much near non-canon because Chronicles isn't a canon game in the series.

And even then, how did Emerl survive? How did Professor Gerald find him? How come he wasn't trapped in the Nocturnus(?) Realm with the rest of the clan? How come he is the only one we know of so far?

We might not have known much of his back history then, but I think Chronicles dug it down a bit too much.

And not only that it seriously questions if he is a canon character or not.

Sonic Battle could be a canon sidestory, sure, but if we are to believe that Emerl is one of the Gizoids the Nocturnus created, his backstory is pretty much near non-canon because Chronicles isn't a canon game in the series.

Since Chronicles isn't canon, its supposed backstory for Emerl isn't canon. So the supposed backstory has no bearing on Emerl, and Chronicles has no effect on whether or not Emerl is a canon character.

Eh, it's kinda similar to Shadow in that they added unnecessary baggage to his origins being a product of the Nocturne. I mean it doesn't exactly detract from him, but it doesn't really add anything substantial either.

No, Shadow's case was that we already knew everything about him: about his origins, the reason he was created, the person behind his creation, and what they would have intended with him. They screwed that up by adding it other stuff so he could go on a trip to recover from his amnesia.

Emerl's case was that we knew his origins, but we didn't know entirely the reason he was created (we knew he was a war machine, to wage war, yadda yadda), we didn't know much about who created him since all we were told is that it was by the Fourth Great Civilization; who was the fourth civilization? And so forth. He was more of a blank slate than Shadow was.

Kinda find it ridiculous how adding to the unknown is ruining something. Shadow's case was that they outright made him a joke when they tried to add more to his backstory, not the same with Emerl.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

If what's added is bad, yeah, that's ruining.

Yeah, the sentiment seems to be more along the lines of "it's bad to add" than that.

Kinda why I'm asking to hear why it's bad before I decide to agree or not (and chances are I won't agree anyway since I like the Nocturnus), and I still haven't heard a response from the person I asked.

It's not so much they added anything in general, it's just that if it's bad...

Yeah, I want to hear how it's bad. I don't settle for simple answers like "it's bad", and you know that. I don't like Chronicles as much as the next person, but I damn well see something interesting in things like the Nocturnus.

Well, as far as Chronicles is concerned, Emerl's really not much more than a grunt, right? There are other Gizoids. And he's not even responsible for wiping out a civilization then, is he? Chronicles reduces him.