Awoo.

Crash Bandicoot: The Thread

Chili Dawg

I'm not saying it isn't, I'm just commenting on how the beta mugshot looks pretty fake, you couldn't fake the screenshots considering everything else, but it's it's so jarring how the mugshot is ripped from Bash but with a mustache that looks like it was drawn on paint and a top hat that was probably an asset laying around somewhere on the guy's computer.

Tho' I would love to see Rilla Roo in an actual game, and a circus theme does fit him pretty well.

But, and I'm probably going to be corrected real soon here, wouldn't a 3D Free Roaming Platformer be pretty much impossible with the GBA's hardware? 

Honestly, I thought the same thing. I don't know whether or not the GBA could possibly render 3D instead of just sprites. I wonder if that's what led to the cancellation of the game because of the limited hardware.

If anything, development would've been more suitable for the DS because it had the technology to create vast worlds akin to Mario 64 DS or that cancelled Crash Landed DS spinoff. Plus, the GBA was reaching old age by 2005.

The Rilla Roo mugshot and the four boss lives things look better than the screenshot. Might be a mockup.

Still interesting though. Didn't even know the GBA was strong enough for a 3D Crash game.

• Thumbs Up 1

Neat.

Yet another cancelled game tho... Goddamnit. Sony please.

No point blaming Sony, it's Activision that keeps cancelling Crash games. Sony have nothing whatsoever to do with it.

I'm convinced this is all part of some elaborate IP squatting scheme where they can say "SEEEE?! We were gonna do something with Crash but decided against iiiit!" This will keep the trademark from being voided from lack of use.

I really pray they sold it off, I really do. Someone who would actually do something with it, Naughty Dog, Sony or not, would be nice.

I liked the VV games. While they were pretty derivative, they tried to replicate the look and feel of the Naughty Dog games more than anyone else (they even got some of the original team to work on CNK). I likely would have adored that 3D platformer especially since it looks so authentic to the old style. That Rilla Roo circus boss looks like a treat as well.

I really pray they sold it off, I really do. Someone who would actually do something with it, Naughty Dog, Sony or not, would be nice.

The original ND team lost interest in Crash Bandicoot a long time ago, and the current team has never shown any signs of wanting the franchise in their hands besides some irritating PR stunts. If they had to make a new Crash game now, they wouldn't be putting their heart into it. Naughty Dog isn't known for making half-assed games, but I'd still rather have a team that is passionate about the franchise.

Personally, I think Sanzaru or VV are the better candidates. I would even say Big Red Button because despite the horrendous Boom fiasco, they have the talent.

A guy who's got experience with fakes and has done proper breakdowns of them. The first screenshot is made up of stock assets from several other sources (pre-rendered background, Twinsanity Coco, WoC Crash), the Rilla Roo arena is taken from this, and the bottom screenshot is Crash Cove modified.

HP Zoner

Ah geez, they actually fooled us.

Oh well, guess you can't win them all.

It sucks that Crash is pretty much the centre of these annoying fake leaks.

They're either keeping interest in the series alive to the public eye or they're just being dicks for the sake of being dicks.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello my sweet beloved Crash Bandicoot fans, tonight (or day, depending where or when you're reading this!) I bring you some discussion into this sad thread:

Voice acting! Certainly the Crash series have a lot of characters to talk (pun?) about when we discuss voice acting, but the first I would like to bring to this table is my personal favorite, and probably the most important character after the bandicoot himself:

Dr. Neo Cortex!

Crash+and+Cortex.jpg

OH. YES. INTRODUCTION.

For those who don't know, you little twats, Doctor Neo Cortex is the main villain of the Crash series. He's an evil cientist and wants to rule the world isn't it what we all want? He builds stuffs (especially blimps) and have an army of animal minions (mostly australian, mate) which happens to be his own mutation experiments. Isn't he awesome?

Well I'm not really sure if that introduction was really necessary, but uh, at least you can't say I didn't made one, amirite?

SO YEAH VOICE ACTORS.

Dr. Cortex had 2 main voice actors along the series, the veteran:

Clancy Brown, who is also know for being the voice of no less than Mr. Krabs in the Sponge Bob cartoon.

220px-Clancy_Brown.jpg

He voice the both Cortex and Uka-Uka from Crash 2 to Nitro Kart.

He is the menacing Cortex, the serious business Cortex, the GAME OVER CORTEX HOLY SHIT.

---

After CNK, Traveller's Tales and Vivendi Universal decided to give the series another approach, adding much more comedy to it. The result of it was one of the most beloved Crash games after Naughty Dog: Crash Twinsanity. As the series now trying to steal the players' laughs more often, they made some re-cast, which included our dear Cortex.

Introducing.....

Lex Lang

220px-Lex_Lang_by_Gage_Skidmore.jpg

Lex Lang said, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-7ECbyA3nk, that the producers of the game and himself, thought that Clancy made Cortex sounds too menacing, too evil for children. So, they went with a totaly different tone, which I. ABSOLUTELY. LOVE.

Twinsanity had a very good and very funny script, allowing Lex to really dive into the character, and unleashed Cortex's emotions. The game had a lot of inside jokes and 4th wall breaking moments:

They kept Lex for the rest of the games that followed: Crash Tag Team Racing, Crash of the Titans and Crash: Mind Over Mutant.

In my most honest opinion, I think that Lex totally nail'd Cortex's new personality. He still an evil cientist, but much funnier and loveable. And thankfully, it's not annoying nor too much. He's maybe a little cliche, but not in a bad way.

With later games, he only improved, as Crash of the Mutants shows it:

I'm not the biggest fan of the game itself, but the dialogue is pure gold. I simply love listening to Cortex, it's very entertaining.

---

Although both voice actors had completely opposite voice directing, if I had to pick a favorite, it would have to be Lex. As I said, I believe that he truly managed to give Dr. Cortex all kinds of emotions, turning him into my favorite game villain after Dr. Eggman, who, as you probably already noticed, shares the same comedic direction of Cortex.

So that's it my friends, I hope you have enjoyed it, and looking forward for your coments and to know which is yours favorite, and maybe next time we could talk about other voice actors in the series!

• Thumbs Up 1

Lex Lang's Cortex performances were always fantastic, as were Nolan North's as N-Gin in Radical's games. For any issues the games had, the comedy and voice overs were surely not among them.

Just who the heck OWNS Crash nowadays? Sony has used classic Crash in some ads and Activision acts like he doesn't exist.

Just who the heck OWNS Crash nowadays? Sony has used classic Crash in some ads and Activision acts like he doesn't exist.

Hello my sweet beloved Crash Bandicoot fans, tonight (or day, depending where or when you're reading this!) I bring you some discussion into this sad thread:

Voice acting! Certainly the Crash series have a lot of characters to talk (pun?) about when we discuss voice acting, but the first I would like to bring to this table is my personal favorite, and probably the most important character after the bandicoot himself:

Dr. Neo Cortex!

Crash+and+Cortex.jpg

OH. YES. INTRODUCTION.

For those who don't know, you little twats, Doctor Neo Cortex is the main villain of the Crash series. He's an evil cientist and wants to rule the world isn't it what we all want? He builds stuffs (especially blimps) and have an army of animal minions (mostly australian, mate) which happens to be his own mutation experiments. Isn't he awesome?

Well I'm not really sure if that introduction was really necessary, but uh, at least you can't say I didn't made one, amirite?

SO YEAH VOICE ACTORS.

Dr. Cortex had 2 main voice actors along the series, the veteran:

Clancy Brown, who is also know for being the voice of no less than Mr. Krabs in the Sponge Bob cartoon.

220px-Clancy_Brown.jpg

He voice the both Cortex and Uka-Uka from Crash 2 to Nitro Kart.

He is the menacing Cortex, the serious business Cortex, the GAME OVER CORTEX HOLY SHIT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aA4avcxmiHw

---

After CNK, Traveller's Tales and Vivendi Universal decided to give the series another approach, adding much more comedy to it. The result of it was one of the most beloved Crash games after Naughty Dog: Crash Twinsanity. As the series now trying to steal the players' laughs more often, they made some re-cast, which included our dear Cortex.

Introducing.....

Lex Lang

220px-Lex_Lang_by_Gage_Skidmore.jpg

Lex Lang said, according to this interview, that the producers of the game and himself, thought that Clancy made Cortex sounds too menacing, too evil for children. So, they went with a totaly different tone, which I. ABSOLUTELY. LOVE.

Twinsanity had a very good and very funny script, allowing Lex to really dive into the character, and unleashed Cortex's emotions. The game had a lot of inside jokes and 4th wall breaking moments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkHYcLM_KIo

They kept Lex for the rest of the games that followed: Crash Tag Team Racing, Crash of the Titans and Crash: Mind Over Mutant.

In my most honest opinion, I think that Lex totally nail'd Cortex's new personality. He still an evil cientist, but much funnier and loveable. And thankfully, it's not annoying nor too much. He's maybe a little cliche, but not in a bad way.

With later games, he only improved, as Crash of the Mutants shows it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=006A9Ik_U6s

I'm not the biggest fan of the game itself, but the dialogue is pure gold. I simply love listening to Cortex, it's very entertaining.

---

Although both voice actors had completely opposite voice directing, if I had to pick a favorite, it would have to be Lex. As I said, I believe that he truly managed to give Dr. Cortex all kinds of emotions, turning him into my favorite game villain after Dr. Eggman, who, as you probably already noticed, shares the same comedic direction of Cortex.

So that's it my friends, I hope you have enjoyed it, and looking forward for your coments and to know which is yours favorite, and maybe next time we could talk about other voice actors in the series!

Y'know am I the only one who spots the obscure yet glorious connection of Clancy Brown being a Cortex VA and then his successor being called Lex of all things, ahem!

Don't shoot me!

Surprised this video from the Game Completionists featuring Caddy wasn't brought up sooner.

Generally I'd say it's actually a pretty well done video. The parts where they're negative about the later games stems solely from them talking about how they were received, not their opinions. Well, bar the Aku gag (Aku threw them for a loop but not Tiny? I like his redesign but that's surprising).

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

Here's an awesome character rotation of Crash done by Charles Zembillas recently:

CrashBandicootRotation1b.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Holy crap, unseen animated footage of a potential Crash Bandicoot cartoon during development of Crash 1:

http://youtu.be/1t_4YclrGqM

• Thumbs Up 2

Cortex actually got the last laugh. :P

A Crash cartoon in a similar vein as AoSth and Earthworm Jim sounds like a perfect combination. And all the characters look like the Charles Zembilla's art. Seriously why did it never happen?

An appearance from Tiny suggests it was made around the time of Crash 2 however.

Concerning voices, I thought Brown was perfect as Cortex, especially as games progressed. Lang was at least a very good soundalike, but I dunno, he got more campy and irritating as the games went on, like a bad attempt at copying Stewie Griffin's evolution. Same for Nolan North sounding more like Ren Hoek than N Gin (Brendan O Brian was the best N Gin, though Quinton Flynn was good whenever they bothered to add the synthetics). I never really took to the pop culture heavy, sitcom-ish dialogue of the Radical games, it was like Sonic Boom's problem concentrated ten fold.

Edited by E-122-Psi

Holy shit, this is surreal.

It actually doesn't look half-bad for its time either.

Just makes me wish they'd actually try and revive the brand with a cartoon, personally. If they're not going to make games they could at least license it to some studio that would go nuts to have an iconic character for cartoon usage.

Anyone else finding it odd that Tiny's in the intro as one of Cortex's minions despite not being in the games until Cortex Strikes Back?