Awoo.

Crash Bandicoot: The Thread

Chili Dawg

That really makes me happy I don't usually try and 100% games. It sounds like despite being an overall great game, Crash 1 had some issues that made it a nightmare.

I always wondered how you actually saved the game cause me and my cousin would always start from the first stage whenever we played it.

That's not too bad an idea from an old time's sake perspective! We didn't always have the luxury of save files, after all! I think Crash is short enough to be played in one sitting, too... though I could be mistaken.

Brings back memories of leaving the Genesis running allll night long while I would sleep, though. tongue.png

That's not too bad an idea from an old time's sake perspective! We didn't always have the luxury of save files, after all! I think Crash is short enough to be played in one sitting, too... though I could be mistaken.

Brings back memories of leaving the Genesis running allll night long while I would sleep, though. tongue.png

Not really, it takes a while to beat, and that's without trying the 100% of course.

• Thumbs Up 1

I never really got into it, though I enjoyed that one GBA game where he and Spyro teamed up. However, I haven't played it in a long time, so if I ever revisit it, I might have a very different opinion of it.

It's an okay review if a little short, although I have to strongly disagree with what Johnny said about the back-tracking in stages like 'Diggin' It' (first level with bees) and the final ice level 'Cold Hard Crash'.

Those stages are certainly challenging, but in a good way. All the skills you learn in the previous stages prepare you well for the longer/harder levels later on, although they aren't that difficult. In 'Diggin' It' the level splits into two paths which rejoin later on. In order to get the box-gem and second grey gem, you need to go up the left path and back-track down the right path. This can be tricky because you need to avoid the bullets which the flower-enemies fire at Crash. Also, avoiding getting hit by the bees - especially when backtracking - can be frustrating, but once you learn to listen for the right sounds (when the bees emerge from their hive) then you can repel them quite easily. Practice makes perfect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCRbfgw_-M8

Likewise, 'Cold Hard Crash' is not that tough. Once you get used to the timing when jumping on the ice it's straightforward. The key is not to rush through the stage. Once you learn the layout, when you start the 2d sliding ice section (which you need to go forward on and then backtrack) you can pick up an Aku Aku mask, which is the third one you can collect on route. Thus you can get through the rest of ice section whilst invincible, which makes it so much easier!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isyN6GUsXh4

Crash 2 is a great game. It's easy to 100% in a few hours. The controls and level structure is much better than the first game. The 'bear' riding stages are fun, it has a nice soundtrack and the bosses are decent. I love the fight with Tiny <3. I also like how the coloured gems are hidden in unorthodox locations and you have to really explore to find them.

• Thumbs Up 1

Eh, I think if the camera was a bit more zoomed out the backtracking wouldn't be that big of a deal to me, backtracking really wasn't what this game was made for and while im glad theres only a few times where you have to, unless you know the stage layout you'll probably be nudging your way backwards instead of at full speed. The rest I agree with you though.

I can't wait for his review of Crash Bandicoot 3 AKA the game that gave me Dingodile.

I can't wait for his review of Crash Bandicoot 3 AKA the game that gave me Dingodile.

Yeah, really can't wait to hear what he has to say about it, its my favorite in the trilogy (not counting CTR).

I think i like more this review than the one made by The Completionist about the game: Johnny seems to be more patient about the Platinum relics, wich on the other hand upsetted Beardman too much imho.

I didn't knew Fake Crash was created because of a bad made Japanese Crash doll 0.0 I always wondered why he existed, and it was just a joke from Naughty Dog at the end! Kudos ND, you're even more awesome in my book now.

• 2 weeks later...

And then Jason Rubin insisted that Fake Crash was a bad character made by a later developer.

An ok review, at least for CTR; as for Crash Bash, i prefer the review Caddicarus gave to it.

Slightly disappointing review of CTR. Johnny didn't go into any detail about the world, hub structures and he barely - if at all - mentioned the boss fights. What about the time trials; where you can race N.Trophy and Oxide ghost times once you have completed 101% of the main game. CTR is just as much fun in single player mode as it is in multi-player.

Interesting that the game - before it became CTR - was under development before Crash 3. 

In terms of additional characters, you can unlock them all as you play through the main game, with the exception of Penta Penguin. If you hold down R1 and L1 and press down, right, triangle, down, left, triangle, and up, at the main menu, he becomes playable.

In the PAL and NTSC-J versions of CTR, Penta is the only racer with maxed out stats, excluding Nitros Oxide who is only available via Game Shark. In the NTSC-U version of the game, Penta has the same stats as Polar, Pura and Ripper Roo, and he is good at turning but doesn't have much speed. Penta's stats are the same as Nitros Oxide's in the PAL and NTSC-J Version.

This is why I always use Penta to beat Oxide's ghost times. You need to be turbo sliding 99% of the time and to take every short-cut as Oxide does as well.

hqdefault.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

If you hold down R1 and L1 and press down, right, triangle, down, left, triangle, and up

Aka South, East, A-shape, South, West, A-shape, North.

That's the fun thing about CTR, all the cheats spell out actual words in some form. 

An ok review, at least for CTR; as for Crash Bash, i prefer the review Caddicarus gave to it.

Johnny mentioned in the Crash Bash part of the show that the European version was superior to the NA one and unfortunately Johnny had to do the NA one while Caddi did the European one and had a better time with it. That'd be why it was slightly better because the NA one is just average and meh.

Ah man, I actually really liked crash bash too, it didn't really have a terrible ton of minigames on the scale of mario party but I did like them and the single player is probably the hardest that the series has ever had so if your going for 100% (or in this case 200%) your going to be in for one heck of a time.

And then Jason Rubin insisted that Fake Crash was a bad character made by a later developer.

I don't know why, he was no more than an easter egg in Crash 3 and hardly had some meaning in CTR, so... well, maybe Jason didn't liked what they did to him after the PS1 games?

I don't know why, he was no more than an easter egg in Crash 3 and hardly had some meaning in CTR, so... well, maybe Jason didn't liked what they did to him after the PS1 games?

Fake Crash barely appeared in the post ND era, only appeared in Bash, N-Tranced, CNK, and Boom Bang (the worst thing to hit the series).

• 2 weeks later...

This year marks the 30th anniversary of Naughty Dog. To celebrate, ND has collaborated with Dark Horse Comics to release The Art of Naughty Dog, which'll be available later this year. The book will span from the various games ND developed in the last 20 years including Crash and will feature various artwork from the games. Here's the pic:

art-of-naughty-dog_zpsbf3a8867.jpg

Here's the link to the Dark Horse's site

Before anybody jumps on the "CRASH IS BAK WITH NATY DAG" bandwagon, let me say that the original artist Charles Zembillas and Joe Pearson have no involvement in this project but they still own the original artwork. 

• Thumbs Up 9