Awoo.

Crash Bandicoot: The Thread

Chili Dawg

Oh great, seven more years of Activision doing jack with the franchise...only for them to renew it just so they can sit on it for another ten years.

Yeah, no. To hell with that garbage. Hope Sony is still on the bargaining/negotiations table so they can rescue Crash and hopefully Spyro too. (Let's be honest, is anyone -really- going to miss Spyro if he stopped showing up in the Skylanders games? When the IP proved to not need his brand power to be a hit, he got shunted to the back to the bus in a game that features loads and loads of other characters. They could easily replace him with a blue recolor called "Sprylo" and I doubt few people would lose sleep over him being removed.)

• Thumbs Up 2

As much as i want Sony to buy back Crash, i don't think their capable of doing so given their recent financial troubles.

As much as i want Sony to buy back Crash, i don't think their capable of doing so given their recent financial troubles.

That could be reverted by releasing  a new Crash game plus Naughty Dog's 4 games remastered in HD. biggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.png

Serious tho, what financial trouble Sony always seems to be, hm?

When I first heard Crash was back over on Facebook I was excited.

Then I found out Sony simply didn't rule out the option to revive him.

Hate to break the optimism... but Takashi Iizuka has said he doesn't rule out Sonic Adventure 3 either.

We're not getting Crash back any time soon short of Activision selling him to someone else. By the time the trademark expires permanently, Crash will probably be long forgotten.

• 9 months later...

Its speculation time, this time, from a trusted dude, Charles Zembillas!

http://zembillas.blogspot.ca/2015/04/back-in-saddle-again.html

Hello all you beautiful people who happen to be reading this. Sorry for the extended absence. I do indeed apologize. Sometimes ya just gotta deal with the inevitable things of life. And thanks for your continued visits. I appreciate your taking the time to check in during this period.

I've started creating again and will be back shortly to share what I'm coming up with. Meantime I also want to tell the Crash fans out there about some chatter I've been hearing on the street that Sony may be planning a Crash Bandicoot movie. Or at least talking about it among themselves. Heard it from a couple of sources this past week so who knows? Time will tell. 

Anyway it's great to get creative again and I'm looking forward to posting very soon.

As much as I love Crash, I don't think he'd translate particularly well to the big screen.

GIve us a new game first. That's what we want.

If Sony wants do make a movie, they will need to buy Crash's rights from Actshit. And that could lead to a new game. So God yes, buy the rights Sony! Even if the movie sucks, we have high chances of a good game from one of Sony's first parties.

As much as I love Crash, I don't think he'd translate particularly well to the big screen.

GIve us a new game first. That's what we want.

There's the assumption these will be mutually exclusive.

If Ratchet's film is at all setting a precedent... oh hoho, we'll get a Crash game alright.

I just pray to God it's actually a good one and not a crappy cash-in title.

I don't know. Crash can't really work as a main character for a movie. For a game, it's not as bad. The originals had such a small story that it didn't matter too much that Crash didn't speak, his animations and all that told you what he thought. Twinsanity worked because he had Cortex, Aka Aka and Uka Uka to work off, as well as others. But in a movie, it's a whole different medium. You can't just rely on animations or other characters to get through a 90 minute story. I just can't see it working. 

You know you want to see some A-List actor with an extra foot of forehead with a giant N on it, though!

I'd be very intrigued to see how they'd pull everything off.

I don't know how the hell they'll pull it off but it'll be difficult to translate Crash to the big screen.

But hey, with Sony planning several films based on game franchises (Sonic the Hedgehog, Ratchet & Clank, Sly Cooper, even Angry Birds, etc..) and with the Crash franchise turning 20 next year, it wouldn't surprise me. Heck, Angry Birds has a simple basic story and they're managing to make it a whole lot bigger.

It's still too early to tell though so we'll play it by year.

Spyro honestly seems like he would a better choice for a movie over Crash, a bit surprised Sony are consideing him over Spyro. Though Crash is much more talked about nowadays I guess.

Spyro still has some commercial value to Activision through Skylanders, so that's probably why he wasn't as up for grabs.

Crash is just kind of being squatted on, so it would have been easier to either buy him or get the rights, presumably.

Insomniac back in the day had pitch a Spyro film to Universal but presumably didn't go nowhere.

The Legend of Spyro series was planned to a film as well when it reached it's popularity back in 2007 but that was soon cancelled when Activision had other plans for the series.

Spyro still has some commercial value to Activision through Skylanders, so that's probably why he wasn't as up for grabs.

Crash is just kind of being squatted on, so it would have been easier to either buy him or get the rights, presumably.

I don't really think many think Spyro when they think Skylanders anymore. Wasn't he just a way to originally start up the Skylanders franchise? Cause I barely see Spyro promoted in that thing. Aside from the beginning of the Skylanders franchise, I probably wouldn't have known it had Spyro to begin with. To me, he's just as alive as Crash.

If I'm not mistaken, Spyro is still a character in Skylanders, he's just been downgraded from the main protagonist to just another character.

It's small, but it gives him slightly more of a presence than Crash in that regard.

BTW, was anybody disappointed about the Crash section of the Naughty Dog art book? Way too sort and semi-misleading for me personally.

I'm pretty sure more was planned until Activision interfered with their plans.

Holy crap, those screenshots are pure eye candy. It seemed that Crash was going to retain his climbing ability from MOM in Landed. And hark, is that mojo or crystals I spot floating?

I still love the art style (I'd go as far to say it's probably one of the best Crash Styles) and I really hope it gets used in any future titles.

• 3 weeks later...

Cool stuff found lately on Unseen 64. 

Supposedly after developing Crash Fusion, Vicarious Visions was developing yet another handheld Crash game in 2005 for the GBA. Surprisingly, it would've been a 3D free-roaming platformer instead of the 2D side-scrollers they made. It was unknowingly cancelled shortly after, check out the screens:

IPAcevI.jpg

HlOxLN4.jpg

SVaVLy6.jpg

Interesting to say the least, since VV did nothing new whatsoever with the franchise. Nice to see that they were planning to bring back Rilla Roo. Here's the link for the source (scroll to the comments): 

http://www.unseen64.net/2009/04/27/crash-bandicoot-xs-the-huge-adventure-gba-beta/#comment-160722

That Rilla Roo mugshot looks fake as all hell :U

The guy is pretty legit, he was the CEO of Red Eye Studios who did the cinematics for the VV titles.