Awoo.

Sonic-related pet peeves?

Aero

I think there are a lot of different Mecha Sonic robots. Unlike Metal Sonic they stay destroyed after Sonic defeats them, so Eggman keeps building new versions. Wasn't the name "Silver Sonic" just a fan-nickname? As I understand it, they're all Mecha Sonics.

Yes, I believe that's how it is. So even if they're different robots, they're still in the "Mecha Sonic" series. Not that it matters much since we don't see any Mecha Sonics anymore, but you know.

I too thought "Silver Sonic" was just a popular fan nickname, official usage in comics aside.

Edited by Dr. Crusher

People say continuity of Sonic was screwed by Sonic 4 and thus it shouldn't be in the series. Fact is Sonic CD screwed it up first and you think it should be in the series. That's a pet peeve of mine.

People who love Mario and hate Sonic, despite the fact that they have never played a Sonic game.

A relative of mine was raised on Mario/Nintendo during the console wars of the 90's. I had him play Sonic Generations, and he really liked it. Said the the game (and therefore the franchise) lacked depth/a good story. Kind of true about Generations, but I tried to explain about the other games but he was too busy playing Modern Green Hill Zone and marveling at how fast it was compared to Mario.

Also, when I'm playing a Sonic game and I fall 2 inches short of getting a Red Ring or a shortcut. I will restart the level just so I can get it (e.g, the helicopter at the beginning of Modern Speed Highway, some of the alternate routes in Modern Chemical Plant, etc.)

• Thumbs Up 1

People who love Mario and hate Sonic, despite the fact that they have never played a Sonic game.

A relative of mine was raised on Mario/Nintendo during the console wars of the 90's. I had him play Sonic Generations, and he really liked it. Said the the game (and therefore the franchise) lacked depth/a good story.

And Mario somehow does? Haha. I don't understand these people, they make comparations that contradict themselves, plus can't understand that some games (like Generations) are just supposed to be light-hearted with simplistic plots.

• Thumbs Up 1

One peeve I have is how some people assume that the last few Sonic games from Dimps take only a few months to complete. Whoever says that shows a lack of understanding on game development in terms of budget, time, and execution. Sonic games generally take anywhere from one to three years to develop, starting at the concept and its approval, followed by concept art, conceptual design on the computer, and drafts, testing, and final execution.

Not every company or firm develops one game at a time. Some develop or plan two or three games at once and have to balance the schedule to complete the assignment. Sonic Team has multiple firms, so whenever one develops a game, another develops another game. For instance, while the Storybook Sonic Team division took about one-and-a-half to to years to build SCWii, Sonic Team HD spent three years to complete Generations HD alongside.

But some smaller companies don't have the luxury, so the same team may develop two or more games at once. Sonic 4: Episode I likely took two years to build, with either another separate firm within Dimps or the same team building Colors DS (and likely Generations 3DS) simultaneously. And as Sonic Generations 3DS was developed, Sonic 4: Episode II (which chances are took about a year-and-a-half to complete) was built alongside.

• Thumbs Up 1

And Mario somehow does? Haha. I don't understand these people, they make comparations that contradict themselves, plus can't understand that some games (like Generations) are just supposed to be light-hearted with simplistic plots.

Now if only the simplistic plot of Generations had been more fleshed out and didn't feel like half of it was missing. Also Classic Sonic was pointless as a character, supporting or otherwise.

• Thumbs Up 2

I too thought "Silver Sonic" was just a popular fan nickname, official usage in comics aside.

It was also mentioned in the western manual for the Game Gear version of Sonic 2.

Some things that annoy me are...

• "Long time no see!"
  • When people see something of Sonic and say "Hey that's that T.V show!", referring to Sonic X
  • One appearance characters (Chip, Elise, Shara, etc.). Why introduce new characters if they will only be used once?
  • People making a big deal about who voices the Sonic characters.

That's all I could think of for now, but i'll edit the post if I can remember anymore

• One appearance characters (Chip, Elise, Shara, etc.). Why introduce new characters if they will only be used once?

Well, they technically did re-use Sharha. They utilized the good-will established in her character model so she could effectively back stab you for a second time in BK.

That was really well done to be honest.

• Thumbs Up 1

People who claim SA2 was the last good game, but call Modern ugly and say the series should go back to 2D.

• Thumbs Up 1

People who claim SA2 was the last good game, but call Modern ugly and say the series should go back to 2D.

So your opinion on the design reflects your opinion on the gameplay?

wat

The whole way Archie loves painting the Mobians as the superior race on Mobius in the comics who are "One with nature" and nowhere near as bad as the Overlanders.

When you take into account that the whole debacle that led to the Great War was a Mobian conspiracy and that Mobians are just as capable as Overlanders of being racist assholes and Mobians have willingly joined the ranks of the Eggman Empire to harm their fellow Mobians, they're not the superior, mostly pacifistic race that the writers initially made them out to be.

Speaking of Archie, who else found it peeving that one of the main reasons behind Ken Pender's intention of revealing Rotor as homosexual was because, according to him, Rotor was "Socially inept"? This has some pretty unfortunate implications...

Edited by Vertekins
  • Thumbs Up 6

Well, they technically did re-use Sharha. They utilized the good-will established in her character model so she could effectively back stab you for a second time in BK.

That was really well done to be honest.

Yeah, it really hurt when Grunty backstabbed ol' Mumbo like that.

• Thumbs Up 4

• 2 weeks later...

Oh boy, do I have some. For one, Eggman Nega's entire existance.

Seriously, Blaze deserves a better nemesis than a recolour of a superior villian. They HAD to have taken his design off deviantART. Even IF you look past the fact that he's a recolour, he still looks bad - he looks like an old guy trying to stay relevant by wearing biker gear! Hell, since he upstages Eggman in most of his appearances and that he's described as Eggman BUT EEEEEVILER, it's a miracle Sonic Team didn't have him kill off Eggman (while shooting a puppy) and make HIM the new villian.

And people actually WANT him to appear in the comics?!

And people actually WANT him to appear in the comics?!

Doesn't forget, Archie has had a pretty stellar recent track record of taking Characters nobody likes and turning them into stellar additions to the comic series.

*cough*Omega*hack*Silver*wheeze*Cream*snort*Marine

Same here. I look at that trailer, and I can only think:

"Um...how did people get hyped over this?"

Maybe I'm just weird like that.

Remember that the last main series game we got was Shadow The Hedgehog. I know 2006 looks bad NOW, especially when in a trailer like that, we can tell just how much was scripted and how much was obviously VERY carefully choreographed to hide the crappy/awkward handling, but it was our first taste of next gen Sonic, graphics-wise, and compared to Shadow... yeah.

Edited by JezMM

Doesn't forget, Archie has had a pretty stellar recent track record of taking Characters nobody likes and turning them into stellar additions to the comic series.

*cough*Omega*hack*Silver*wheeze*Cream*snort*Marine

Well yes, but from what little we've seen of him, he seems to be just like his game counterpart (except for that apparantely he's terrorizing whole dimensions, which makes him overshadow Eggman even MORE in terms of effectiveness).

Well yes, but from what little we've seen of him, he seems to be just like his game counterpart (except for that apparantely he's terrorizing whole dimensions, which makes him overshadow Eggman even MORE in terms of effectiveness).

Archie Eggman is infinitely better character in comparison to his game counterpart. I'm not so sure we even need to worry about anybody overshadowing him.

(not a knock on game Eggman of course - Archie Eggman is simply utterly fantastic)

In the comic series, effectiveness really doesn't mean as much. Eggy lacks the raw power of say and Enerjak or the wide reaching ambition and to-do ability of say a Mammoth Mogul, but in the end it always comes back to the good Doctor. I suspect anything Nega related will fall into line as well. I don't see much to worry about.

Archie Eggman is infinitely better character in comparison to his game counterpart. I'm not so sure we even need to worry about anybody overshadowing him.

(not a knock on game Eggman of course - Archie Eggman is simply utterly fantastic)

In the comic series, effectiveness really doesn't mean as much. Eggy lacks the raw power of say and Enerjak or the wide reaching ambition and to-do ability of say a Mammoth Mogul, but in the end it always comes back to the good Doctor. I suspect anything Nega related will fall into line as well. I don't see much to worry about.

Well I guess it's my fault for not being knowledgeable on the comics - what with me living in the UK.

Well I guess it's my fault for not being knowledgeable on the comics - what with me living in the UK.

Well in all good faith you can't knock something your barley familiar with tongue.png

Eggy in the comic series is spectacular though. He is the end all be all villain. If you haven't gotten around to reading his arc in Universe, I recommend it.

Well in all good faith you can't knock something your barley familiar with tongue.png

Eggy in the comic series is spectacular though. He is the end all be all villain. If you haven't gotten around to reading his arc in Universe, I recommend it.

Well, I read the first 20 or so issues, but I mostly rely on Mobius Encyclopedia for current issues. And yes, the ending to that arc was pretty amazing. Bye Snively, I guess.

Also, General Veers called, he wants the AT-ATs Eggman stole and modified back.

Also, General Veers called, he wants the AT-ATs Eggman stole and modified back.

If he wants them, he can go knock on the front door of Eggman's Death Star Egg and try to take them.