Awoo.

All-Stars Racing Transformed: The Racer Roster Thread

Barry the Nomad

I've been looking all around the topic and I can't seem to find the interview or the post were S0L said that there is going to be a japanese third guest characther, can anyone point me out where it is?

About who might it be, I think it's very clear thet it's Hatsune Miku. I don't really mind her, but her will surely increase the selling copies a huge lot, by otakus and by japanese people ( maybe they are releasing this one in Japan after all? It's not the first time Japan-only characthers had made into ASR, Zobio and Zobiko were, and not specially known ones either...)

I would really love to see Segata Sanshiro though. But I think he is that "ultimate fanservice" that S0L has talked about several times before, not this guest. He is a Sega character.

And if it's Banjo, the Vita, PS3 and Wii U versions will be short of one character. The PC may get the game later in 2013 and won't have Banjo too.

I don't want to break it to you but Banjo won't be the last third guest character announced. Not to mention, the team traveled to Japan to discuss the licensing with this third character.

Hold on, that last sentence alone confirms it won't be Banjo.

That didn't stop them putting him on the last game. It didn't stop Capcom from putting 5 exclusive characters on the PS3 version of SFxT.

From what I've read they didn't say that there was another third party character that was Japanese. The Japanese character could easily be a SEGA character and completely unrelated to another third party character.

That didn't stop them putting him on the last game. It didn't stop Capcom from putting 5 exclusive characters on the PS3 version of SFxT.

From what I've read they didn't say that there was another third party character that was Japanese. The Japanese character could easily be a SEGA character and completely unrelated to another third party character.

This has nothing to do with Capcom. So mentioning them is pointless.

Yes, S0L traveled to Japan to visit the Sega HQ there, but which company develops games for Hatsune Miku?

But hey, it may not be Hatsune Miku. That's the thing. But all I know is, I'm 99.9% sure they won't add Banjo because it will be unfair to other players who don't have an Xbox. PS3/PC players complained about the lack of characters against other versions in the first version and it looks like they have taken note among other things.

Edited by Ming Ming Love
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yes, S0L traveled to Japan to visit the Sega HQ there, but which company develops games for Hatsune Miku?

But hey, it may not be Hatsune Miku. That's the thing. But all I know is, I'm 99.9% sure they won't add Banjo because it will be unfair to other players who don't have an Xbox. PS3/PC players complained about the lack of characters against other versions in the first version and it looks like they have taken note among other things.

Baring in mind that most Wii users really won't care because the have Mario kart. The first one was supposed to be Microsoft's Kart racer (which is why they got Avatars and Banjo). Sony obviously didn't show as much interest. Saying that Banjo won't be in because PS3 owners isn't a good argument when they've already done it in the previous game.

If you can provide a link to them saying that the third party character is a Japanese one then please post as I won't bother investing any time or hype into the game and I can move on to other things.

Ok S0L, come here and clean that up, please sad.png: Will Banjo be in? You certainly can answer that, c'mon, it's not even a secret since he was on the first ASR. Just clean that for... Them ^^^^^^ So we can move on.

Edited by Jango

Baring in mind that most Wii users really won't care because the have Mario kart. The first one was supposed to be Microsoft's Kart racer (which is why they got Avatars and Banjo). Sony obviously didn't show as much interest. Saying that Banjo won't be in because PS3 owners isn't a good argument when they've already done it in the previous game.

If you can provide a link to them saying that the third party character is a Japanese one then please post as I won't bother investing any time or hype into the game and I can move on to other things.

That's the only reason that you even want to pay attention to this game. Banjo? A character that might not even likely be in the game you've put all your hype into? Ignoring cool things like Wreck it Ralph, Nights and Nights stage, The transform gimmick and more to come? You only care about a pretty unlikely character?
  • Thumbs Up 3

That's the only reason that you even want to pay attention to this game. Banjo? A character that might not even likely be in the game you've put all your hype into? Ignoring cool things like Wreck it Ralph, Nights and Nights stage, The transform gimmick and more to come? You only care about a pretty unlikely character?

No.... He's just the character I care MOST about. Wreck It Ralph is awesome, but he's no consolation for Banjo not being included. It's not as if I'm wanting a character who is out of the question. Sure he isn't a SEGA character, but he was a titular character in the first game. It was Sonic & Sega All Stars racing WITH BANJO-KAZOOIE. Because he's my favorite video game character of all time, there's absolutely no one they could add to this game that would make me want to play it over the first one.

The whole idea from this game is based on DKR, which Banjo made his debut in!

For Miku they'd have to contact the actual copyright holders of the character, not the developers of it's games.

Speaking of unfair in exclusives is moot. Console exclusive content is common practice.

How was the first one suppose to be Microsoft's kart racer? They don't own Sumo and they definitely don't own Sega. It's like any other crossover game, Sega had to pay some cash to Microsoft for them to feature in the game unless there's some deal.

Also you have Kinect Joyride and Joyride Turbo unless you have forgotten about those Microsoft 1st party kart racing games.

If Banjo makes it in, it's even worse than the first. Not only Sony and PC owners are down with one character (again) but you can add Nintendo owners too.

I understand why you would want Banjo in this game, if my favorite character doesn't get in my interest would have slumped too. But I'm just telling not to get any hopes up for Banjo. It's highly unlikely he's coming back unless Banjo will appear playable on all consoles.

For Miku they'd have to contact the actual copyright holders of the character, not the developers of it's games.

I know Sega doesn't own the character, but they obviously THE ones that develops games for the character. They have a close relationship. They could have gotten permission from the owners already about using her in Transformed.

Console exclusive content is common practice.

This isn't Call of Duty. Unless I'm told Microsoft funds Sumo money for this project, I don't see this happening. And Microsoft and Sega are not "tight" friends.

Edited by Ming Ming Love
  • Thumbs Up 1

What? No it isn't. How the hell did you even reach this conclusion?

It's not based on Diddy Kong Racing. It's got some vague similarities to DKR, but saying it was based on it implies that they deliberately used it for reference/inspiration.

And also this is like saying Mario should've been in EVERY KART RACER EVER since he basically pioneered the sub-genre.

Baring in mind that most Wii users really won't care because the have Mario kart. The first one was supposed to be Microsoft's Kart racer (which is why they got Avatars and Banjo). Sony obviously didn't show as much interest.

The first one was supposed to be Microsoft's racer?

Fuck no. It was supposed to be SEGA's racer. Microsoft payed money to get exclusive content in. That's all there is to it.

• Thumbs Up 2

I know Sega doesn't own the character, but they obviously THE ones that develops games for the character. They have a close relationship. They could have gotten permission from the owners already about using her in Transformed.

That would be like a company going to Archie so they can use Sonic in their stuff. They have to go to the actually holder of the IP.

This isn't Call of Duty. Unless I'm told Microsoft funds Sumo money for this project, I don't see this happening. And Microsoft and Sega are not "tight" friends.

CoD isn't the only game that does this.

That would be like a company going to Archie so they can use Sonic in their stuff. They have to go to the actually holder of the IP.

And what if the holders of the IP were in Sega's HQ that day?

CoD isn't the only game that does this.

I know. That was an example. Any exclusive content for a particular console is done by either funding the developers' game OR have some deal to make it a win-win situation for both of the negotiators.

..or. The developer/publisher of the upcoming game corks up tons of money for the character to be in their game. Which Sega wouldn't do especially in the position they are in financially.

Edited by Ming Ming Love
  • Thumbs Up 1

And what if the holders of the IP were in Sega's HQ that day?

What if the holders of XYZ's IP were in SEGA's HQ that day?

I know. That was an example. Any exclusive content for a particular console is done by either funding the developers' game OR have some deal to make it a win-win situation for both of the negotiators.

Yeah, I know that. That changes nothing.

What if the holders of XYZ's IP were in SEGA's HQ that day?

So you're saying it's a possibility that Rare/Microsoft were in Sega of Japan's HQ that day? Wouldn't it be easier to meet up in England since BOTH of their bases are in that country? Don't know what point you're trying to make here.

Yeah, I know that. That changes nothing.

And again what is your point?

Edited by Ming Ming Love
  • Thumbs Up 1

I meant it was supposed to be Microsoft's racer as in, it was to be the kart game that most people play on the X-Box. Microsoft invested money into it including the Avatars and Banjo.

The idea of Planes, Boats and Karts was first used in DKR. I thought everyone knew that. And to not include Banjo in THIS game, baring in mind he was on the game where the conept came from, especially as he was included in the first SASASR is really frustrating.

I even named my horse after Banjo :(.

Edited by TheAnvil

So you're saying it's a possibility that Rare/Microsoft were in Sega of Japan's HQ that day? Wouldn't it be easier to meet up in England since BOTH of their bases are in that country? Don't know what point you're trying to make here.

Point is with the argument it can be said about pretty much anyone, rendering it pointless.

And again what is your point?

That it being unfair for people who don't own the console with exclusive content doesn't mean anything, as giving consoles that is perfectly common.

The idea of Planes, Boats and Karts was first used in DKR. I thought everyone knew that.

Of course we did, but it was done completely differently. There was no mid-race transformations. The way you went through the tracks on DKR depended on what vehicle you chose at the start.

There are far more similarities in base concept between this and Mario Kart 7 than DKR. And even then Mario Kart 7 did a different thing because it was underwater rather than overwater and gliding rather than flying.

• Thumbs Up 4

The idea of Planes, Boats and Karts was first used in DKR. I thought everyone knew that.
Everyone DOES know that. That doesn't mean that every game following its release is "based" on it though. That would imply Sumo went and said "let's do that thing Diddy Kong Racing" did.

And like others have said, this game's take on the concept is actually a LOT different from DKR.

And to not include Banjo in THIS game, baring in mind he was on the game where the conept came from, especially as he was included in the first SASASR is really frustrating.

Well, Mario's not in this game, and the original Mario Kart on the SNES basically invented the ENTIRE sub-genre. Basically every single karting game has been affected and influenced by its existence, even if it's original and unique like this game is shaping up to be. We don't see anyone complaining Mario's not in this, though.

Of course we did, but it was done completely differently. There was no mid-race transformations. The way you went through the tracks on DKR depended on what vehicle you chose at the start.

There are far more similarities in base concept between this and Mario Kart 7 than DKR. And even then Mario Kart 7 did a different thing because it was underwater rather than overwater and gliding rather than flying.

that and you could only choose certain vehicles for certain tracks AFTER you had beaten the race in pole position using the default vehicle.

I meant it was supposed to be Microsoft's racer as in, it was to be the kart game that most people play on the X-Box. Microsoft invested money into it including the Avatars and Banjo.

Right.

So remind me again why the PS3 version was the lead platform?

Not to mention Sony aparently didn't want their characters in the original game. I can't remember the interview S0L did but it was some random gaming website where it was confirmed.

At the time this game was out, Uncharted 2 was releasing a Sony Heroes/Villains pack, which let you play as various Sony characters in Uncharted 2's multiplayer, not to mention Mod Nation Racers had been announced and at the time looked like it was going to be one hell of a racing game. Not surprised Sony didn't want their characters promoting 3rd party stuff at the time.

The fact is, this game was truely a multiformat title, every console tried to get something over the other, even the Wii version. One could argue that whilst the PS3 version has no specific console exclusive, the fact it looks and runs better on a PS3 than the other systems is it's console exclusive feature.

• Thumbs Up 4