Awoo.

Rebooting the Franchise: Good or Bad?

Kuzu

Cream and Big barely have enough screen time to matter anyway, so it's not like keeping them would detract from anything.

Which is why I suggest we just demote them to minor character status, and focus on the characters with something to offer. I mean we can keep the Chaotix as the comic relief, we can do a bunch of things Knuckles as both guardian and a rival/ally to Sonic, Shadow & Rouge to add some moral complexity, etc. etc.

Here's what I'd do to Silver: make him a cross between Mortimer Mouse, Slash (Fred Wolf Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles), and Dr.Faciller. He is Sonic's romantic rival over Blaze. He wants Blaze because she reminds him of a girl he once knew who died tragically. He uses living shadows as his minions. These shadows look like Blaze and Eggman Nega. His entire eyes are golden in hue.

Here's what I'd do to Silver: make him a cross between Mortimer Mouse, Slash (Fred Wolf Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles), and Dr.Faciller. He is Sonic's romantic rival over Blaze. He wants Blaze because she reminds him of a girl he once knew who died tragically. He uses living shadows as his minions. These shadows look like Blaze and Eggman Nega. His entire eyes are golden in hue.

Please, just stop... it's not funny anymore, it's just stupid.

• Thumbs Up 3

Or we could blaze blaze blaze blaze blaze blaze blaze.

Blaze?

Blaze. cool.png

• Thumbs Up 3

Why the bloody heck are you so obsessed with Blaze? You do not have to stick her in every single situation you know.

Edited by Frankenstein Joe

Miru, your Blaze obsession was funny to me at first, but now its just annoying and stupid. So stop beating a dead fucking horse like a Felix and actually contribute to the topic.

• Thumbs Up 5

Miru, your Blaze obsession was funny to me at first, but now its just annoying and stupid. So stop beating a dead fucking horse like a Felix and actually contribute to the topic.

What does Felix have to do with this?

• Thumbs Up 2

Or Blaze gets killed off. That work for ya?

Never thought a Blaze fan would annoy the crap outta me. And I actually like the character.

• Thumbs Up 7

Personally I don't really like the thought of Blaze reappearing if there's a reboot (per se), she was a good character slightly messed up. A CAT FROM THE FUTURE OF AN ALTERNATE DIMENSION THAT'S THIS DIMENSION TOO.

They could have a character who is a cat, who is female, noble, heroic, quite socially inept but badass (with no romantic interest in Sonic at all as usual) from Sonic's time and place, with new personality attributes taking ideas from the better side of Amy as a new female role in general. I know at this point they might as well call her Blaze, but the idea of new, different characters as reference to others intrigues me I guess... like in the Transformers series. Tangent over. :P

Edited by Gordon the Big Engine

What's so wrong with Miru constantly bringing Blaze into every topic?

I don't get mad when people constanty nerdgasm about Sonic 3 in every topic.

Anyway, I don't think Sonic needs an explicit rebot. They can just trim off the uneccesary stuff off the franchise in a more nuanced way.

Edited by Bright Eyes

I always thought rebooting the franchise would be a little cumbersome.

Meh, maybe we could just start afresh and through collectibles (character bios, art works etc.) we could delete parts of the canon that were bullshit (Shadow's game for instance) and keep (or reinforce/develop) things that were done well. It would effectively act like a reboot in so much as removing all the shite that was.....well.....shite, whilst avoiding the need to reintroduce everyone.

Characters in need of an actual reintroduction, can be reintroduced should the need be. Not all characters need rebooted intros. For instance Shadow's introduction in SA2 was perfectly OK, it could stand to do with some development/refinement, but the premise is fine, hardly a need to reintroduce the character when all you need to do is delete the Black Doom affair.

Yes, that won't change the fact that we still had to endure that bullshit, but a reboot ain't changing that fact either.

Excusing the fact that I think the whole Black Doom thing is overblown (at the end of the day, it did nothing except explain further how Shadow was made and gave a more relevant purpose to the Eclipse Cannon than SA2 did; big whoop), ignoring the controversial parts of the games' canon is what they've been doing for years now. I mean, has Shadow's game ever been referenced in subsequent games beyond some potential track additions in Generations? Sega has left these issues behind forever ago, so what does it matter?

• Thumbs Up 1

Excusing the fact that I think the whole Black Doom thing is overblown (at the end of the day, it did nothing except explain further how Shadow was made and gave a more relevant purpose to the Eclipse Cannon than SA2 did; big whoop)
But it was really dumb and shitty at it.
  • Thumbs Up 2

My position is that the overall effect the actual canon facts presented by ShtH had on the games overall is not only less relevant than everyone makes it out to be, but absolutely negligible in general, hence why I see no need to vigorously write it out of canon other than the fact that you and others just can't stand the game.

Sky_spyro2.jpg

There's one way.

A real reason would be I guess recreating them With personalities and characterization that is nothing like how the characters have been portrayed throughout the series. That's one big way.

Edited by Sora
  • Thumbs Up 1

My position is that the overall effect the actual canon facts presented by ShtH had on the games overall is not only less relevant than everyone makes it out to be, but absolutely negligible in general, hence why I see no need to vigorously write it out of canon other than the fact that you and others just can't stand the game.

Don't really see a reason to keep it around either...

I mean, has Shadow's game ever been referenced in subsequent games beyond some potential track additions in Generations? Sega has left these issues behind forever ago, so what does it matter?

Well, Commander Tower did leak out of that game, and Mephilies entire schtick in 06 was to essentially pull Shadow back down into the muck that he left behind in his previous journey...

But yeah, I'm with you. There is no need to go out of the way to reboot something when its impact as is - is already close to zero.

I think it would benefit them to write it (and many other things) out of continuity because I want them to care about continuity, and if they do start caring about continuity they'll realize this series' canon is built largely on meandering, inconsistent, stupid shit.

A real reason would be I guess recreating them With personalities and characterization that is nothing like how the characters have been portrayed throughout the series. That's one big way.
That could easily be an improvement for some of them.

What's the worst way a reboot could turn out?

new-dante.jpg

Even though I support the idea of a reboot, I'm afraid they could fuck it up.

• Thumbs Up 4

new-dante.jpg

Even though I support the idea of a reboot, I'm afraid they could fuck it up.

Uh...who is that exactly?

Also...

What's so wrong with Miru constantly bringing Blaze into every topic?

Well, Miru is kinda fixated on Blaze, to the point it can get a little creepy...

Edited by Frankenstein Joe